Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old October 16th, 2020, 01:27 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Flash_19's Customs

Making another figure attack is a no-go. It creates out-of-turn attacks, which is problematic for numerous things like Smoke Powder. You also cannot force it into a turn, since there is no such thing as a "turn" for an individual squad figure. (Yes, I know Omnicron did it, but that design is really problematic. Actually, it's the main reason I worked to get into VC, to prevent those sorts of mistakes.) The original designers talked a bit about it back in the day, how it's not viable, and thus why Mogrimm's Commander's Strike is a d20 roll instead of the attack they original wanted.

Personally, I think the first version is way better. I do not agree with the "too simple" designation at all (ever). It is a common mistake to think that the card is more important than gameplay. A card with a single one-line power could be the most complicated thing in the game to play. It's gameplay that matters, not the card. The true (and rarely acknowledged) goal of custom design is to find the minimal version of the card that preserves the intended gameplay (in fun and theme).
Old October 16th, 2020, 01:36 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Making another figure attack is a no-go. It creates out-of-turn attacks, which is problematic for numerous things like Smoke Powder. You also cannot force it into a turn, since there is no such thing as a "turn" for an individual squad figure. (Yes, I know Omnicron did it, but that design is really problematic. Actually, it's the main reason I worked to get into VC, to prevent those sorts of mistakes.) The original designers talked a bit about it back in the day, how it's not viable, and thus why Mogrimm's Commander's Strike is a d20 roll instead of the attack they original wanted.
Thank you very much for that explanation. That makes sense.

Quote:
Personally, I think the first version is way better. I do not agree with the "too simple" designation at all (ever). It is a common mistake to think that the card is more important than gameplay. A card with a single one-line power could be the most complicated thing in the game to play. It's gameplay that matters, not the card. The true (and rarely acknowledged) goal of custom design is to find the minimal version of the card that preserves the intended gameplay (in fun and theme).
These are great thoughts too. I'll definitely keep that in mind as I keep working on it!

Thanks again!

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old October 16th, 2020, 02:28 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

^See, I told you he'd know! haha

Based off of that feedback, I'd like to see Option A worked. I think it's thematic and simple and provides a very unique gameplay with him as a potential "shield"...though honestly I'd prefer to see the roll lowered so he's more of a reliable shield rather than it being a "once in a while" relevant ability.

In fact, to keep it from being too strong, you could make the roll weaken with distance, ala Brave Arrow (which...actually makes sense that he'd have the strongest impact on those nearest to him).

Quote:
TELEKINETIC DEFENSE 10
When an opponent's figure targets a figure you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Brain, roll the 20-sided die. Count the minimum number of spaces between the attacker and Brain. Subtract this number from your die roll. If you roll a 10 or higher, you may choose any eligible figure to be attacked by the attacking figure. The opponent's figure must attack the chosen figure.
So again, the farther away the attacker is, the harder it is for him to "control" them. But when he's surrounded in combat, things get interesting

I would LOVE to see this version playtested...could make for some really intersting gameplay.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 16th, 2020, 02:37 PM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

The big problem with any defensive power is that Raelin exists. All the more true for a defensive power that can boost any figure.
Old October 16th, 2020, 04:02 PM

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
^See, I told you he'd know! haha

Based off of that feedback, I'd like to see Option A worked. I think it's thematic and simple and provides a very unique gameplay with him as a potential "shield"...though honestly I'd prefer to see the roll lowered so he's more of a reliable shield rather than it being a "once in a while" relevant ability.

In fact, to keep it from being too strong, you could make the roll weaken with distance, ala Brave Arrow (which...actually makes sense that he'd have the strongest impact on those nearest to him).

Quote:
TELEKINETIC DEFENSE 10
When an opponent's figure targets a figure you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Brain, roll the 20-sided die. Count the minimum number of spaces between the attacker and Brain. Subtract this number from your die roll. If you roll a 10 or higher, you may choose any eligible figure to be attacked by the attacking figure. The opponent's figure must attack the chosen figure.
So again, the farther away the attacker is, the harder it is for him to "control" them. But when he's surrounded in combat, things get interesting

I would LOVE to see this version playtested...could make for some really intersting gameplay.
That's a really cool idea, Sir H! I really like the concept of incorporating a Brave Arrow esque feature to the ability.

Quote:
The big problem with any defensive power is that Raelin exists. All the more true for a defensive power that can boost any figure.
...And absolutely this ^. I like the power, but it definitely needs a fair amount of restraint. I'd like it to feel similar in balance to Raelin with units like the Nakita Agents - the Nakita's have a cool defensive ability, but it's not gamebreaking when paired with Raelin (part of that might also be the price point of the Nakita's, which might warrant a price increase for Pinky the Brain).

I at least want to consider an additional ability that promotes an occasional OM to make him more interesting, but it might not be necessary. I really appreciate the insights about directions to potentially take the design!

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old October 16th, 2020, 04:21 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Ugh...I know you're right...but I don't want you to be.

Maybe we just make him 150pts :P

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 16th, 2020, 04:59 PM

My suggestion would be to limit the defensive ability Explorers and Mercenaries. For reasons.
Old October 16th, 2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Ugh...I know you're right...but I don't want you to be.

Maybe we just make him 150pts :P
Lol.

Quote:
My suggestion would be to limit the defensive ability Explorers and Mercenaries. For reasons.
I would be totally down with that suggestion - I love the idea of helping to establish a developing faction. Looks like I'll have to hang tight for a bit before doing much more on the design though.

Thanks again so much you two for your help.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards