Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library
C3G Legacy Library This is the archive for all the designs released in the original era of C3G. Feel free to post any figure specific questions in their individual books.

Notices

Old January 8th, 2015, 02:47 PM
C3G Con Champ 2021 and 2022!

Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death!
Re: The Book of Thor

I don't believe that is needed for this special, because this isn't one that affects people adjacent to the figures on the spaces affected. It's everyone within 2 spaces of Thor. Thor is not within the 2 spaces of himself, that wouldn't make sense. Whereas the examples you gave are based on choosing spaces/a line, and then all adjacent figures to those spaces are affected, thus the need to clarify it doesn't affect the user.
Old January 8th, 2015, 07:50 PM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun

Porkins and Sock are both right. Thor cannot be within 2 spaces of himself; the reason those other figures have that wording is because they choose a space or figure and figures adjacent to those spaces/figures are affected.

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:32 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollBrute View Post
Thor cannot be within 2 spaces of himself.
Sure he can; he's automatically within 2 spaces of himself at all times. You are within your own immediate vicinity; you are an occupant of the house you occupy; you are within 10 feet of your present location. (How could it be otherwise?) But don't take my word for it; see Hasbro's many examples below.

Quote:
the reason those other figures have that wording is because they choose a space or figure and figures adjacent to those spaces/figures are affected.
I don’t see how that distinction matters, but regardless there are still plenty of examples that speak directly to your argument. I initially had some of these examples in my post, but deleted them in an attempt to be more concise; now I wish I had not. So here are a bunch of official examples that, just like Thor's GOD OF THUNDER STRIKE, are simply about being within a defined locus of the figure itself, rather than about one unit's adjacency to another:
  • All figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Taelord get +1 to attack. Taelord's Attack Aura does not affect Taelord.

• All figures you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Raelin add 2 to their defense dice. Raelin's Defensive Aura does not affect Raelin.

• ... you may move one Tricky figure you control who follows Vydar and is within 8 clear sight spaces of Agent Skahen up to 4 spaces. You cannot use Cover Fire to move Agent Skahen.

• ... add 1 to Chardris’ attack dice for every additional Elf Wizard you control within 3 clear sight spaces of Chardris... [note that the word "additional" is conspicuously used to exclude Chardris from boosting himself, since he is within 3 spaces of himself].

• ... for any Kyrie you control who follows Einar and is within 5 clear sight spaces of Empress Kiova, you may re-roll all defense dice that did not show shields ... Empress Kiova's Gift of the Empress Aura does not affect Empress Kiova.

• ... roll the 20-sided die for all figures within 3 clear sight spaces of Runa, one at a time. If you roll a 20, destroy the figure. Runa's Helm of Mitonsoul Aura does not affect Runa. [Note how structurally similar this is to Thor's bit.]
... And there are lots more examples.

Now, lest anyone complain that those are all "negative" examples which are probably just confirming some kind of unwritten rule, there are also "positive" examples that prove you actually must be within X spaces of yourself, or these wouldn't work. I'll give a classic Scape example and then one from C3G:
  • ... choose a wounded Hero figure within 4 clear sight spaces of Sonlen ... remove one wound marker from the chosen Hero's Army Card. Sonlen's Dragon can use its Dragon Healing on Sonlen.

• All Adventurers and Scientists you control within 4 clear sight spaces of Invisible Woman add 4 to their defense dice. ... Fantastic Force Field 4 affects Invisible Woman.
(This fact is the whole reason that Sue has DEFENSE = 0.)

I don't know how to conclude anything other than the fact that official Scape very clearly treats a figure as being within X spaces of itself — or, at the very least, sees it as a question that should be explicitly addressed every time ... in my research I did not run across any cases where they failed to define it one way or the other in the wording.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old January 8th, 2015, 10:38 PM

Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death! Arkham is hot lava death!

All of those were clear sight examples, which c3g rules are consistent to that.
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:03 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressive Sock View Post
Are you saying that C3G has a rule that a figure is within X spaces of itself if they are clear sight spaces, but is not within X spaces of itself if they are just plain old unrestricted spaces?

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:08 PM

I don't honestly know. It's just the way it seems.
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_a_Bill View Post
official Scape very clearly treats a figure as being within X spaces of itself
It actually doesn't, as it's spelled out in the FAQ. For C3G, we just decided to not use unnecessary wording as we usually need the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:
Are you saying that C3G has a rule that a figure is within X spaces of itself if they are clear sight spaces, but is not within X spaces of itself if they are just plain old unrestricted spaces?
No. C3G's official stance is that a figure is never within clear sight of itself, unless otherwise stated by the power. Powers that require clear sight do not affect the figure who has the power, unless the power specifically states that it affects that figure (Invisible Woman, for example).

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:18 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Even in classic scape figures cannot be with X spaces of themselves.
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:22 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
No. C3G's official stance is that a figure is never within clear sight of itself, unless otherwise stated by the power. Powers that require clear sight do not affect the figure who has the power, unless the power specifically states that it affects that figure (Invisible Woman, for example).
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaSilver View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Even in classic scape figures cannot be with X spaces of themselves.

What they said.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 8th, 2015, 11:33 PM
A Jacquee in Disguise?

Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth Soundwarp SG-1 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
in my research I did not run across any cases where they failed to define it one way or the other in the wording.
Sir Dupuis

My Repaints and Mods: Updated 1-13
My Custom Cards: Updated 4-15
My Custom Superheroes: Updated 1-13
My figure images for online games:
Alliance figures, Utgar figures
My Etsy Store
Old January 9th, 2015, 12:22 AM

Okay, combining what everyone has said, it sounds like here's the deal:
  • A figure is never "within X spaces" of itself, regardless of whether clear sight is or is not specified.
  • Thus, for untargeted area effects, all the sentences like "Bob's Flatulence Special Attack does not affect Bob" are unnecessary.
  • Cards like Invisible Woman and Sonlen are overriding this rule and explicitly allowing/requiring the figure to be within X spaces of itself for that effect only.
  • However, a figure can be within X spaces of another figure it targets, within X spaces in a straight line from itself, etc. Thus these kinds of effects still need an explicit inclusion/exclusion sentence.
  • Thus, in general, figures do not experience their own area effects that have no distinct target, but (unless there's an explicit restriction) they do experience spillover effects from a chosen target, and directional effects.
Am I getting that right? (Would not have guessed this from the way the classic army cards are written.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
It actually doesn't, as it's spelled out in the FAQ.
I'd appreciate it if somebody can give me a page reference. I just searched using a few relevant keywords and can't find it. (Not trying to be obstinate here; just want to understand.)

I do appreciate all the feedback on this. Kinda frustrating that seven years into this game I'm still bumping into things that work in the opposite direction of what the cards imply...

Last edited by Just_a_Bill; January 9th, 2015 at 01:24 AM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy > C3G Legacy Library