Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old June 20th, 2009, 11:21 PM

Altron_ZERO Woo who?
How fast can you read?

I read pretty slow compared to other people who read books, though I read alot, I don't read as many books as I would like because I read so slow. My friend is sorta teaching me how to read faster, I used to read one word at a time and would read at the speed people talk. But now I'm working on looking at a whole line instead of reading each word. Anyone else got any tips I could use?

I have a friend who reads inhumanly fast. Usually he would read about 1 or 2 books a day at school. He can easily finish a nice 500 page paper back in about 2 hours, and hes read so many books that you can pretty much ask him about any sci-fi or fantasy book and he can say I've read that or I've looked at it.

Old June 20th, 2009, 11:45 PM

Odin_Osgard knows what's in an order marker Odin_Osgard knows what's in an order marker
Re: How fast can you read?

Instead of reading the whole line which can get confusing just look at the first and last letter of each word.
This sounds confusing but thats what i do.
You look at a word and the word after and just get used to this.

Also skimming (which sounds like cheating) works dont read every line skip through paragraphs and just pull out key facts.

I usually read really long books (500 to 1000 pages) or ones that are really complicated slow books (Plato's Republic, The Divine Comedy, the Bible)

P.S. the last one is mainly to prove christian's wrong
P.P.S. I am not a bible-thumper

Last edited by Odin_Osgard; June 21st, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

I've found that when I'm really into a book I burn through it at about 90 pages an hour-yeah, I'm nerdy enough to have figured that out before. If it's something that I've read a lot I can get through it even faster-I got Jurassic Park down to less than 2 hours. Of course if it's something I hate (textbooks jump to mind) I can take weeks to read a single page.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old June 20th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin_Osgard View Post
P.S.S.
That should be P.P.S. (post post scriptum, not post scriptum scriptum)

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old June 21st, 2009, 12:04 AM

Odin_Osgard knows what's in an order marker Odin_Osgard knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin_Osgard View Post
P.S.S.
That should be P.P.S. (post post scriptum, not post scriptum scriptum)
My bad. Thanks man
Old June 21st, 2009, 12:15 AM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
I've found that when I'm really into a book I burn through it at about 90 pages an hour-yeah, I'm nerdy enough to have figured that out before. If it's something that I've read a lot I can get through it even faster-I got Jurassic Park down to less than 2 hours. Of course if it's something I hate (textbooks jump to mind) I can take weeks to read a single page.
Of course, that particular book is so entertaining that it'll give you papercuts when you're flipping the pages so fast, anyway.

-scorp

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old June 21st, 2009, 03:11 AM
Creamed by Corn

GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness GromBloodboy wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Only great minds can read this
This is weird, but interesting!

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too

Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy , it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it

Got tihs in an eiaml form a feirnd. Vrey Cool!

Tourney Record:17-10 (08/02/11)
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:49 AM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Actually, I could read the first 2 fine....

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:57 AM
Silly Kid

arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness arp12 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromBloodboy View Post

i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy , it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it

I got that same email about a week ago from my grandpa. If you could read it you were supposed to forward it with the subject "YES!YES!". (I can raed it, but I d'nidt wnat to froawrd it to aynnoe esle. Tpniyg lkie tihs is vrey amsuing tughoh.)
Old June 21st, 2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:

Thats actually where i got the whole read only the first and last letter.
Yay i am one of the 55 people.
Old June 21st, 2009, 11:02 AM

Altron_ZERO Woo who?

Quote:

Wow, that was surprisingly easy to read, now I will definitly try this when I am reading, Thanks!!

Old June 21st, 2009, 11:07 AM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker

I've read similar mixed-up letters before, and they always amaze me. (It's very easy for me to read, it doesn't slow me down at all)

In response to the original thread topic: Fast enough. If I actually sit down to read an average novel, it's usually gone in about 2-3 hours. I rarely just sit down and read one thing for that long anymore, though. Usually my book stays in the bathroom. Heh.

I'm selling a bunch of Heroscape stuff to pay for personal emergencies, please see my trade thread post: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=6803

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books