Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
Let me help you play with yourself!

Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Heroes of 'Scape (RPG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaemon Awa 123 View Post
The sand is lv. 3, the 3-hex. It's the highest ground on the map.
Yea its there now when I looked at the PDF for the instructions earlier the 3rd level didn't show up.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:14 AM

Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby!

I don't think we'll have much to talk about until the next update after figuring out some of these controversial and messed up powers. So I want to share with you some of my ideas for improvements to this game as a whole. I'll present them to you and you're free to discuss what you feel about it. What you think the pros and cons of it is.

Idea 1) Categorizing Special Powers:
First off, this isn't really a change, I'm just referring to organizing powers into first Primary and Secondary Skills. Or to get more defined we'd have--
Primary: Offensive, Defensive, Summon, and Support skills
Secondary: Utility and Dependent skills

which leads to my next idea...

Idea 2) Limiting the number of Special Powers in a Category:
So either keep it basic and you're only allowed a certain number of primary skills (say 3) and then unlimited number of secondary skills. So a Ranger could pick have Defensive Agility, Deadly Shot, and Bound. But he can get as many skills like Tracking, Archer's Glory, Camouflage, and Walk Through Brush as he would like.

To make it even more limited you could say only 2 Offensive and 2 Support, etc.. etc... but unlimited Secondary (not so much into this idea)

but this idea leads into my overall idea...

Idea 3) Different Classes would have Different number of Primary Skill Subsets.
So something like a Warrior or Champion can have up to 2 Offensive Skills, 2 Defensive Skills, and up to 1 Support Skill with only up to 4 total. Something like a Cleric could only have 4 Support Skills, where something like a Rogue could only have 4 Offensive Skills.

This kind of idea prevents people from exploiting some skills. If they pick up a whole bunch of defensive and support skills they become a walking, invincible beacon. There's a reason figures like Realin and Kelda have only 3 defense and no defensive special powers. This would also further define what sort of role each Class is supposed to take and keep them from exploiting as a different role.

Idea 4) Skill Points earned by Experience not Level:
This idea actually came up a while ago and I decided I liked it, but I've been holding off making it official. Instead of getting 2 Skill Points at Level 2, 3 at Level 3, and so on, you'd get 1 Skill Points at set increments of experience points. 100 seems to be the expected amount, but this can change.

which leads to my next idea...

Idea 5) Leveling Up Stats with Skill Points.
Instead of providing the structure for a Classes Stats at different levels, you have to choose to spend your Skill Points on increasing your stats. There will be a maximum set, because tacking on stats quickly becomes broken and ruins the system established (Deathwalkers become really easy to kill for example). In fact, you wouldn't be able to exceed the current stats I've established, just be able to choose which stat increases when you want it to increase it.

So typically a maximum of +1 or +2 for most stats depending on your Class. I was thinking 1 Skill Point for Defense and Life, and 2 Skill Points for Attack. Range and Move will not change through.

...which leads to my next idea...

Idea 6) Remove Levels Altogether:
With getting Skill Points every 100 Experience Points and adding your stats as you wish, levels kind of break down.

... which leads to my last idea...

Idea 7) Spending Skill Points to Change Class:
Without a level system, spending 1 Skill Point to change your Class the first time and maybe 2 Skill Points for the next Class change. No real reason except to have a structure and a cost to changing class. I may have to make an exception for Warrior Class to avoid making that an unnecessary downfall.

Both Idea 7 and Idea 5 will also help slow down the game so your Hero doesn't grow so strong so quickly. The huge leaps always did bug me, so now you'll see a much more gradual change that I feel will be more fun as you grow into your character.

Discuss away! I can't wait to get your guys' opinions on these matters. Sorry for the long read.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM

Therion knows what's in an order marker Therion knows what's in an order marker

How would this affect the School of Magic choice?

Patience Drain
After loading and before posting, roll the twenty-sided die.
On a 1, Therion makes a long and/or irritating post.
On a 2-15, Therion may not post this turn.
On a 16+, post normally.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therion View Post
How would this affect the School of Magic choice?
Hmm. Probably wouldn't much. Choosing a school of Magic is not changing your Class so it wouldn't cost any Skill Points. It might change what maximum category of Skills you can buy. So Divine SoM would have a lot of Support Slots while Fire SoM would have Offensive Slots... Assuming Special Attacks are considered Offensive Skills... I'm not sure about Special Attacks yet.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I do like option Number Four. Not so sure about the others, however. I'll have to think about them.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthan313 View Post
I do like option Number Four. Not so sure about the others, however. I'll have to think about them.
Sorry its such a long read. None of these changes, even if people approve of them, will be seen until after I finish all of the expansions. Its just something to give thought to, or to give us something to discuss when there isn't anything else going on.

I'm going to start testing some, or all, of these in my games to give it some prototype testing. I'll be sure to let you guys know how they go and how I'm feeling about them after seeing them in action.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:55 PM

Well folks... if you haven't heard to bad news the Heroscape franchise has been abandoned. The saddest part about this for me is it will ultimately place an end to Heroes of 'Scape. I can't make Races or Classes for figures we don't have. We have no Green Wyrmling. No big Blue Dragon. And we'll never get Vydar Kyrie. There are still so many holes that needed to be filled and new figures I was looking forward to utilizing in my game.

But rest assured, I will continue working on Heroes of 'Scape as long as I can. But this is really why I created an RPG in the first place. During the lull before the D&D waves I got bored of the same old figure and wanted to try something new. After months of work, Heroes of 'Scape was born. And with everyone's help and input, it has been growing and evolving into something fun and wonderful.

It has been a pleasure contributing what I have so far, and I hope everyone sticks around Heroscapers in light of the recent let down.

Keep on 'Scaping my friends.
~Kaiyu
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:04 PM

DeathByUtgar Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiyu0707 View Post
Well folks... if you haven't heard to bad news the Heroscape franchise has been abandoned. The saddest part about this for me is it will ultimately place an end to Heroes of 'Scape. I can't make Races or Classes for figures we don't have. We have no Green Wyrmling. No big Blue Dragon. And we'll never get Vydar Kyrie. There are still so many holes that needed to be filled and new figures I was looking forward to utilizing in my game.

But rest assured, I will continue working on Heroes of 'Scape as long as I can. But this is really why I created an RPG in the first place. During the lull before the D&D waves I got bored of the same old figure and wanted to try something new. After months of work, Heroes of 'Scape was born. And with everyone's help and input, it has been growing and evolving into something fun and wonderful.

It has been a pleasure contributing what I have so far, and I hope everyone sticks around Heroscapers in light of the recent let down.

~Kaiyu
well said, sad day, but well said. looks like I will always only get to play about half of this game, having very few figures, but when your done with the "official figures" we could always go for customs, just some food for thought. and the no leveling idea sounds good.

U.S Marines allowing enemies of the U.S a chance to die for their country since 1775.
my modest custom units and terrain
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM

Sorry for the barrage of posts, but I've updated the Game Guide and Special Powers list with all of the errors and changes to Altered Races. The Item List is not integrated with the Game Guide. As an added bonus! I provided the rules to the Advanced Loot System. Its not recommended for most of you, but you brave souls who want to give it a try can now.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 05:43 PM

Gladitor Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByUtgar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiyu0707 View Post

~Kaiyu
well said, sad day, but well said. looks like I will always only get to play about half of this game, having very few figures, but when your done with the "official figures" we could always go for customs, just some food for thought. and the no leveling idea sounds good.
Don't remind *sob*

I'm the fart in the air conditioning, I'm always there, but usually, you never notice.

~Orson Scott Card~
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:54 PM
On Fire like in NBA Jam!

Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

kaiyu, in the case of miniatures; try TrollandToad.com. They have DnD, Heroclix, Mage Knight....I don't want this project to die.

Can you defeat a mind such as mine?
Riddler
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:54 PM
Now moves with Flying.

Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death! Karat is hot lava death!

Quick question for you. I was reading through the creation of a character and a question came to mind. Would a charachter stop leveling at 4 or would it continue, and if so what is the precedence for the continued leveling of said character?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions