Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:54 AM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
El Camino Project Car

Well, I'm not sure how known this is here, but I love muscle cars. I like the versatility of a pickup truck, but I hate the size of them. Someone needs to make a normal sized passenger car, except with the bed of a pickup truck. Oh wait, Ford did - The Ranchero. So did Chevy. I've been looking for an affordable El Camino for about 3 years now (affordable being a grand or less), and have finally found one. It's not the exact body style I'm looking for (in fact, it's about 10 years newer than the one I really want - a 71), but I was cut a huge deal on it.

I was on my way to school last week and it caught my eye: A white 80s (unsure of the year) El Camino with a giant "For Sale" sign in the windows. We stopped and looked, I got a name and number. Later that day, I called the number and found out that the one for sale was built for racing (with $9,000+/- in racing parts) and can run about a 12 second quarter, with about 550 horsepower. Asking pr1ce: $2,500.

Here's the deal though: The same guy just happened to have another El Camino of the same year, minus the drivetrain. He said he'd take $3,000 for both together. I was turned off (once again), because I couldn't afford it. However, a friend I work with is swapping the engine and transmission in his Nova (I don't know what year, so don't ask), and will have a spare engine/transmission. I'm buying that from him for $500, bolted together and ready to go into a car. As soon as I found out he was selling it that cheap, I called guy about the car again, and he agreed to sell me just the shell for $500.

This all happened over the course of the past 8 days, so I don't have any real information yet. The engine I'm buying is a 307 with a TH350 transmission. I haven't decided if I want to modify the engine any or not yet, but I'm definitely stripping it down and cleaning it out.

This afternoon, I'm going to see the car, so I will post pictures of it later tonight, as well as more pictures while I'm building it, and after it's complete (in about a year).

Old May 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
ToysRUs Kid

Taelord knows what's in an order marker Taelord knows what's in an order marker
Re: El Camino Project Car

Awesome, only problem is I can't wait a year for completed pictures.

Dan's Mom: "Why you persist in acting like a fifteen year old is beyond me."

Dan: "I'm filled with reckless desire."
Old May 3rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
has been BANNED

K/H_Addict costs too much!
Re: El Camino Project Car

Well, I drove twenty miles to see the car, but nobody was home, and nobody's answering the phone. Will update more as we go

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General