Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old February 20th, 2015, 03:49 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
What particular didn't you like about it Q? I'd like to hear the downsides so I can make a better decision.

As for the collectible aspect...If we did enjoy this game I'd just buy a common/uncommon set off ebay and call it a day. They seem to be plentiful. Also from what I have found the character that appear in both sets have the same dice but different colors and since we would not be doing competitions reduces our need to "collect" dice.

We tend to avoid all collectible games. We've so far kept my son clear of the Pokemon and similar craze that seems to be common at his school.
It's pretty much based on Magic: The Gathering in the way the game works except most of the cool interactions aren't there and you can buy more dice as you play. Maybe if I'd never played magic, it'd be fun but instead I just get the feeling of "Why am I wasting my time playing a game that's a distant shadow of better games?"
Well I've never played Magic and after a meeting today I noticed a comic/game store across the parking lot so I walked over and found both the Avengers Vs X-Men and Uncanny X-Men starter sets. Since they were the same price and I figured if we didn't like it I could probably sell the AvX set easier I went ahead and pulled the trigger. Hopefully this weekend we can give it a shot and see how it goes.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old February 20th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

That's the nice thing about the game. You can get your money back pretty easily if you don't like it. And the best way to determine if a game is for you is to just try it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old February 20th, 2015, 05:06 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Played Imperial Assault and Cthulu Wars last night. Cthulu Wars was cool but it was a little weird to figure out what was going on with all the spell books, rituals, big old dudes, etc., especially since I played against two experienced players. But I think with a couple more plays it would be easy enough.

I need to play Imperial Assault a couple more times, if I get a chance, before a final opinion. The gameplay was very sloooooooow as the "good guys" discussed every possible action before deciding what to do. All new players except the GM though, so that certainly contributed.
Old February 21st, 2015, 02:08 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Did a 3 player solo game of Thunder Alley this morning to learn it and get the hang of it before teaching it. Pretty cool stuff as there are a lot of tactical decisions as far as how to help your teammates the most but without helping the other players, because there are a lot of actions/movement types that will benefit linked cars and thus affect other players' cars as well as your own. Also it becomes important to decide which cards you play for which cars as a lot of the better movement cards will give the active car some sort of damage, either minor or major. Minor can be removed with a pit-stop, while major damage can't be removed. Having 3+ damage markers of any kind at the beginning of your turn will give big move penalty as well as possibly cause the car to be removed from the race and taking the lowest place VP counter available. Also, knowing when to pit or risking going on is key too.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 22nd, 2015, 11:08 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yesterday was Da Snotling 2015 in La Crosse, WI. It is a 1000 pt Warhammer tournament and this year it had some interesting rules. There were no percentage restrictions, just couldn't duplicate rares and couldn't have more than two of any special choice.

I ultimately decided upon this list.

Slann
Wandering Deliberations
Resevoir of Eldritch Energy
Harmonic Convergence
Soul of Stone
BSB
Standard of Discipline
Channeling Staff

Skink Cohort x10
Champion
musician
standard bearer

Skink Cohort x10
Champion
musician
standard bearer

Temple Guard x25
Revered Guardian
standard bearer
musician

Round 1

I played a near mirror match. His Slann was kitted exactly the same, but was bunkered in saurus instead of Temple Guard and he had two Bastiladons instead of the skink cohorts. Bastiladons are probably overall going to be more effective, but in this scenario it meant he only had one scoring unit to my three. I ended up taking out his Bastilodons with Searing Dooms and got into combat with his block of sarus. They slapped each other all game and at the end of the game all three of my units were on his side of the board and he had 0 on my side.

Round 1 full 4 pt win to me.

Round 2

I played Adam Trunzo's Skaven. This game was about choosing three units to be soring and putting them within 12 inches of the center of the board. At the end of each round you got a point for each one that was there. I got first turn and tried to six dice a boosted fireball to take out one or two of his Storm Fiends.

Unfortunately I rolled this:

Two points shy of getting the spell off

This meant he was able to shoot off my Skinks with his storm fiends on his first turn. He rolled 39 shots with his 3 fiends I did get a fireball off second turn, but only killed one and he got 28 shots on my temple guard with just 2 storm fiends. Basically his dice were hot and mine were not He blew up his warp lightning cannon and shot off the rest of my army.

0 pts for me round two, so sitting at 4 pts overall.

Round 3

I got to Jerrod Horstman. A really fun guy and a really good painter. His Eternity King list was a big Dragon Prince bus with characters, a unit of Warlocks and a bolt thrower. The goal of this one was to kill the general, the highest point unit and the second highest point unit.

Highlights of this game was my Slann being a boss and defeating his Dark Elf Master in a challenge He ended up getting my highest and second highest unit, but failed to get my general, while I got all of his targets.

This made for a 3 point victory for me. So sitting at 7 points overall at the end of round 3.

Round 4

I failed to take any pictures of this match, but it was against Brettonians and was breaking point. I whittled one knight bus unit down with a couple of searing dooms, but then they both came into my temple guard block. That combat went several rounds before the temple guard finally broke the two units which lost him all of his banners and won me the game as my skinks had just taken out a unit of peasants with a banner in close combat.

I got the full 4 pts for this match and finished the tourney with 11 pts overall. I wasn't sure what my paint or sports points were but I was hoping they were decent and that I had placed pretty high. I didn't really expect it, but it turned out I won Best Overall!!!

I got a sweet box of Snotling treasure and the amazing Glottkin model for my award!

One of my friends that traveled with my picked up Best Sports as well which got him 15 dollars in store credit.

As far as painting this week I finished up some more Imperial Assault minis.

Worked on distinguishing the Royal Guard Elite and Regulars with a couple shades of red.

I finished a TNT trap for my Adepticon Wild West Exodus list.

Worked on some base coats for a Gunship.

Also got a little more work done on my boar army for the Adepticon Team Tourney.

Old February 23rd, 2015, 12:27 AM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I played Wiz-War today with the Bestial Forces expansion. I summoned a Grendel and got my daughter down to 1 Life. My wife then proceeded to blast me to oblivion but I came back with a Phoenix spell only to get killed again after I got her down to handful of Life. My daughter was surrounding herself with totems and was regenerating when my wife won the game by going to the middle of my daughter's home sector and blasting her for the win.

So fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old February 23rd, 2015, 02:12 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Played in a Store Championship for Star Wars LCG in Omaha yesterday and got first place. I was on the fence about what decks to take. We hadn't gotten near as much testing with the new stuff as I would've liked. Once we got there I decided to go with Yoda and his Dagobah creatuers mixed with Rebel ships for my Light Side and then some tried and true Sith Control with the addition of the new Bobba Fett. Heres what I got to bring home:

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old February 24th, 2015, 01:58 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Congratulations @stubobj .

Once or twice a month I journey the 52 miles each way to join a Star Wars gaming group that includes about 200 members spread out among 8 local game stores around Philadelphia and Southwest New Jersey. On Wednesdays they usually play SW:LCG or SW: Imperial Assault, and Mondays have been reserved for SW: X-Wings.

Since we just finished up the Store Championships in our region last Saturday, the organizer wanted to try something different and just play what ever games people wanted to bring. So for a change of pace, tonight I got to play:

1st - Star Wars: Epic Duels ... this was a hilarious five-way free for all as we waited for others to show up. I had picked this up at a Toy Store years ago when it was new and on the CLEARANCE rack, but had only played a few times with my grandson who was only 6 or 7 at the time.

2nd & 3rd - Zombiecide ... Brian had only recently gotten the game and was still trying to learn its nuances, so he sat back and GM'ed, while myself and five other guys who wanted to try it attempted to beat the horde of zombies. The tutorial was too easy, but gave them a feel for the mechanics and turn sequence, etc. Then we jumped into Mission #7 that was only supposed to take 45 minutes. We got off to a bad, uncoordinated start and only pans and crowbars with everyone of us taking a wound before we got inside the first building. Then searching turned up two shotguns and two chainsaws so we cleared those rooms pretty quickly and felt emboldened. However, rushing over to the second building to reach the objective was our downfall. The horde of zombies had been growing with every round and no one bothered to count how many we were actually facing. Then the chainsaw dice cooled off and we were simply overrun by them. One of the guys pulled up a YouTube video on his phone to provide chainsaw sound effects.

4th King of Tokyo ... To finish out the evening we jumped into this one, because it was considered short-er than some of the others that were suggested. It was another hour of whimsical dice throwing to deal damage to all of your opponents while trying to remain alive. The final toss was by Brian who with only two Life left decided to push his luck and reroll four of his dice again. It produced FIVE Claws which killed both of the other two creatures that were confidently sitting on their five health.

I LOL'ed for four hours. It was a very FUN evening, especially since it did not involve any Carcassonne for a change.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old February 24th, 2015, 08:02 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Last night I got in just a couple games, one was only 15 minutes and the other was like 5 hours long.

Nodwick - Kind of a goofy card game about some comic character I never heard of and you have to use cards to try to reassemble torn apart characters. Meh.. Fortunately it was very quick to play.

Heroes of Normandie - My buddy Jeff has everything except 2 small expansions for this. We played a 4 player game with Omaha Beach stuff I believe and the scenario was called Bloodbath (and it was). I was on the German side and so was Jeff. We had to hold out 2 of the 3 structures until the end of turn 8. I started off not in the game as I was controlling the reserve troops that would come in at the end of turn 2, 4 and 6. We had a 75mm canon, and a mortar as our artillery, while the American players had a mortar, a Stuart tank and a Sherman tank, as well as a flamethrower. They had more troops and more order markers than us and it looked bad early for us, but the reinforcements came in just at the right time to bolster our defenses. We barely won, as one of the structures (a pillbox) was captured on our left, and the middle structure had one of their units in it, but also one of ours at the end of turn 8. They just couldn't kill that last guy our Jeff's, but it could have gone either way.

It's a cool game, though it is very detailed in a lot of ways and there are a lot of things to remember. It's like playing a miniatures game in that regard, though they tried to use symbology to help out, it's not so easy for newer players.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old February 24th, 2015, 08:43 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I just found out that Mare Nostrum will be kickstarted on March 14. This is "the one that got away" for me. I played it at a convention years ago, but never saw it again. Turns out it had an English language version distributed in Britain as part of a European release, but was never put out here in the USA. It was a beautiful game, set in an alternate Ancient world where six of the most famous powers were all expanding at the same time: Egypt, Babylon, Greece, Carthage, Rome, etc. It seems to have been considered a good game that could use a few tweaks; the expansion was somewhat controversial, as it included Atlantis!

It is now being redesigned as MN 2.0 (without Atlantis I believe, although I'd have no problem with that sinking nation). The kickstarting is quite a surprise. Although I'm glad we'll have some information on it soon, I've become a bit relaxed about Kickstarter; I probably won't go in early, and may even wait until publication. Expensive games like this cost $80 or more these days, and I'd rather wait for some reviews, etc.

At this point I've bought one kickstarter game after its publication at my FLGS (before I even know what KS was) a few years ago--(Empires of the Void)--which was a great game after the author put out a free 2.0 rules book and some other online extras after I got it home! I can't expect that kind of great follow up all the time, though.

Currently I am backing two Kickstarts under special circumstances:

Age of Conan: its going to be compatible with the original game I already own, is by the same designers, and the changes/adds will be desirable.

Quartermaster General Expansion: Air Marshal: I've already got it in a home made playtest version and its going to be inexpensive, plus I'll get the playtest discount and only end up paying postage. The designer, who was at the playtest here, is a great guy, but he's keeping the KS minimal for the small expansion.

I finally have a Paypal account, but that doesn't mean I want to throw my money out the window! I know there is a separate Kickstarter thread, but I'm interested in hearing from anyone here about KS if they have anything to say; including those who don't participate. The Great War, the Borg WWI game is also being KSted, but I'm going to wait on that one too. (Some people are banding together from all over the country to buy TGW at the KS group rate, which is pretty smart). I think patience is a virtue when it comes to the unknown. My score on buying bad games is pretty low, and I'd rather keep it that way!

In the mean time I am playing fan scenarios for C&C Napoleonics in a makeshift two board "Epic" format (to be published as "Grand Bataille," but not for another six months or so, surprisingly). See my threads on bgg for the experiences I'm having with that. Given that GMT had and unprecedented three of its expansions make their P500 List at the same time, their slowness is odd; they've been busy reprinting what's out already instead, even though they supposedly are doing three more expansions--which will bring it equal to C&C Ancients for expansions produced eventually.

Game companies. Go figure.

Last edited by chas; February 24th, 2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:29 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
I finally have a Paypal account [...] I'm interested in hearing from anyone here about KS
Kickstarter doesn't take Paypal. Credit/Debit Cards only.

That being said, I have backed far too many KS projects. Many have been really good. Also-many* haven't.

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.

Last edited by Jim; February 24th, 2015 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Yes, "also-many" is now a word.
Old February 24th, 2015, 05:06 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
1st - Star Wars: Epic Duels ... this was a hilarious five-way free for all as we waited for others to show up. I had picked this up at a Toy Store years ago when it was new and on the CLEARANCE rack, but had only played a few times with my grandson who was only 6 or 7 at the time.
That's really a great little game.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games