Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old April 18th, 2021, 02:05 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Time for some new Approved Terrain

Hi guys,

I started the conversation on the facebook page and what to bring it here as well. I think it is time to introduce new "approved" custom terrain like we have done for SOV and C3V characters. Is there a group that could do this? We have brought so much to the game with these new characters. terrain needs to be cheap and plentiful (like characters). I have posted two ideas on Facebook: bamboo (not my original idea, but cheap and easy) and monoliths (free STL files). I have not fleshed out rules for each, hence the discussion, play testing, modification and finally approval or rejection. What are the thoughts and can we do this? I think lots of people have great ideas and we could create a process and committee to move this forward. There has been no additions in over 11 years.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old April 18th, 2021, 07:16 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Time for some new Approved Terrain

This is a great idea. With printers being super readily available or the services to get prints, this is totally doable. I’ve had tons of ideas for this. The anti 3D printing folks really need to open up to new horizons. It is really limiting the possibilities in a world of scape that should have endless possibilities. I already enjoy it on a personal level and have for years. Good on you for bringing up the subject. For anyone wanting to jump down my throat for saying this is a great suggestion, save the negativity for someone else. It would also be cool to find out how to add any new stuff to the likes of virtual scape.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 18th, 2021, 07:52 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I don't intend on offering a yes/no opinion on the general topic at this point (because I think it will detract from the issues I'm mentioning below), but I do want to point out a few important ways that adding terrain is different from adding figures via C3V/SoV.

1) It's harder for a mixed classic/C3V tournament to use. A large event with lots of pre-set maps can switch between classic & C3V events easily because the maps stay the same. Essentially an event with multiple tournaments happening sequentially would have to be exclusively custom terrain inclusive or exclusive, which is a harsher standard than VC figures requires.

2) New terrain affects past figures more than new figures do. A new figure only affects a sub-set of figures who have synergy with it whereas new terrain would likely affect > 50% of figures (i.e. if affecting small/medium/large). This makes balancing harder and new introductions affect power rankings more broadly.

3) Terrain releases would happen less frequently than figure releases.

4) There's less room to expand in new terrain than new figures. Ultimately Heroscape doesn't have a ton of different game mechanics, and a lot of them are already covered by existing terrain. This makes 'releasing in perpetuity' like C3V does much harder (and risky, from a power creep perspective).

Those are my initial thoughts on key differences.
Old April 20th, 2021, 10:27 AM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins View Post
I don't intend on offering a yes/no opinion on the general topic at this point (because I think it will detract from the issues I'm mentioning below), but I do want to point out a few important ways that adding terrain is different from adding figures via C3V/SoV.

1) It's harder for a mixed classic/C3V tournament to use. A large event with lots of pre-set maps can switch between classic & C3V events easily because the maps stay the same. Essentially an event with multiple tournaments happening sequentially would have to be exclusively custom terrain inclusive or exclusive, which is a harsher standard than VC figures requires.

2) New terrain affects past figures more than new figures do. A new figure only affects a sub-set of figures who have synergy with it whereas new terrain would likely affect > 50% of figures (i.e. if affecting small/medium/large). This makes balancing harder and new introductions affect power rankings more broadly.

4) There's less room to expand in new terrain than new figures. Ultimately Heroscape doesn't have a ton of different game mechanics, and a lot of them are already covered by existing terrain. This makes 'releasing in perpetuity' like C3V does much harder (and risky, from a power creep perspective).

Chris, all very valid points. That is why I was thinking smaller pieces instead of a whole terrain set. These could be rare, and placed like glyphs as well. The example I use is an Obelisk. A hero standing by an Obelisk could roll a d20 to access it's power: (this is a very rough idea). 1 - take a wound, 2-8 nothing happens, 9-14 heal a wound, 15-19, gain +1 attack this turn, 20 resurrect a figure. Now, I thought of this in 5 minutes without lots of thought. But two of these on a board would act like gylphs (with a little LOS block).

Old April 20th, 2021, 11:25 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmuskie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins View Post

Chris, all very valid points. That is why I was thinking smaller pieces instead of a whole terrain set. These could be rare, and placed like glyphs as well. The example I use is an Obelisk. A hero standing by an Obelisk could roll a d20 to access it's power: (this is a very rough idea). 1 - take a wound, 2-8 nothing happens, 9-14 heal a wound, 15-19, gain +1 attack this turn, 20 resurrect a figure. Now, I thought of this in 5 minutes without lots of thought. But two of these on a board would act like gylphs (with a little LOS block).
I think having a workshop to flesh out the ideas in to keep them fun, bring new things to the table, but keep balanced game play wise, is a great idea. Also include a depository with a “books of” type of OP for the designs that make the cut. It should probably be located in the custom terrain forum. We would have to be careful about boosting units with certain bonuses. Giving an auto shield to figures already sitting next to raelyn could break the game. Just food for thought as we brainstorm this venture.

Old April 18th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I just want to say that this is a really good idea. We’ve never ruled out expanding the universe of terrain for map makers to have at their disposal. We just need the right thing.

It’s an outstanding idea.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old April 19th, 2021, 02:13 PM

Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby! Scaperedude rolls all skulls baby!

I agree with what is being said. If this is going to happen and happen legitimately, it will need to be put together carefully. There is a lot of potential in way of new terrain, but I don't want excessive amounts of releases to alter and detract from the game I know and love. Any releases would need to be few and far between. I'm not saying I don't want it to happen. Just in slow, digestible amounts.

H E R O S C A P E
Old April 20th, 2021, 02:36 AM
"like" happy

@coachmuskie , with free 3D stl files being shareable, and obtain able I think this is a good idea. I would actually like to add to this in saying. It would be fun to hold terrain custom contests using stl files that the community can vote on for their favorite. I’d love to create a Destructible Object/terrain worksho that can hold all the designs that are come up with that are balanced and fun ideas. As you said above. They would need to be free and shareable files. Also, they would need to fit the confines of hex spaces. Preferably most being less than 7 hexes. Lastly, an easy to paint design. Ideally the terrain introduced into the fray would have to add something interesting to the game in some way. Whether its a destructible object or piece of terrain, it should bring something to the table other than a los blocker. I have messed around with different ideas myself with portal gates, magic crystals, and man able turrets using a variant of HoSS turret rules. If we were to use these new terrain pieces on official maps we could represent them with different things in virtualscape similar to what we have done with BoSS maps. Some of the terrain pieces may mess with some characters making them better or worse, but none would do that worse than molten lava at any point. I would say that a bunch of these new DO objects would just add more fun and interesting dynamics to the battlefield.

Old April 20th, 2021, 10:02 AM

@TREX , I am in!

Old April 20th, 2021, 10:09 AM

I saw something earlier about destructible trees. Stuff like that could be cool as well. Obelisks that can heal one point of damage, idols that give a +1 range. Stones that can can give an auto shield. there are lots of little things that would be fun to introduce and create. The bamboo that I am working on would allow Small to pass through, medium can pass through with -1 movement, large and huge cannot pass through. It also works like jungle. Stuff like that!

Old April 20th, 2021, 10:12 AM

a monolith that allows you to summon figures to you on a d20 roll. Portals. so much

I am all in on this project!

Old April 20th, 2021, 01:00 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I think there is way more to explore with terrain than some suspect.
The terrain itself can change game play without necessarily introducing new game mechanics but I think that is where the real fun can begin.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles