Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 19th, 2023, 11:49 AM

onibaku06 is surprisingly tart
Introductory Game

Hi folks. I scoured the forums for quite a bit, but can't find anything useful.

I've been a fan for years, but haven't played in quite a while. With Renegade getting things moving again, I really want to get back in it. I would also like to share this amazing game with my girlfriend and see if it strikes her fancy.

That being said, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a couple of simple armies to play for an introduction style game. Something that teaches the basics and shows the finer points of the game without drowning a new player.

I appreciate any help you wonderful people can provide.

Seldom in life is the right thing to do and the easy thing to do one in the same.

-Unknown
Old July 19th, 2023, 12:38 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Introductory Game

I feel like there are a hundred ways to do this right, but as someone who has taught a pretty good number of people how to play, here's my standard rundown.

Make sure the map is cool looking but fairly simple. Probably no lava/shadow/jungle bushes for the first game, but that's not really a deal breaker. A bridge would be cool but all the height that entails would probably make it harder to navigate for a new player.

Now the armies, the important part. I like to set people up with something that shows the variety of HeroScape. Using a lot of figures from the first two master sets helps, and keeps the army simple. Maybe throw in knights or make a nice Blade Grut army if you want to start things out with bonding, but that doesn't seem important. Off the top of my head, here are two army ideas that I might use:

New player: KoW x2 (140), Finn and Thorgrimm (300), Major Q10 (450)

HSer: Blade Gruts x2 (80), Grimnak (200), Krug (320), Deathwalker 8000 (450)

Maybe keep it simpler than that with more unique heroes, but that's what came to mind. Also, there's this quick start guide from 2008 that I find to be extremely helpful to keep around, but especially for new players.

Good luck recruiting the girlfriend. They say it can be done!

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old July 19th, 2023, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
I feel like there are a hundred ways to do this right, but as someone who has taught a pretty good number of people how to play, here's my standard rundown.

Make sure the map is cool looking but fairly simple. Probably no lava/shadow/jungle bushes for the first game, but that's not really a deal breaker. A bridge would be cool but all the height that entails would probably make it harder to navigate for a new player.

Now the armies, the important part. I like to set people up with something that shows the variety of HeroScape. Using a lot of figures from the first two master sets helps, and keeps the army simple. Maybe throw in knights or make a nice Blade Grut army if you want to start things out with bonding, but that doesn't seem important. Off the top of my head, here are two army ideas that I might use:

New player: KoW x2 (140), Finn and Thorgrimm (300), Major Q10 (450)

HSer: Blade Gruts x2 (80), Grimnak (200), Krug (320), Deathwalker 8000 (450)

Maybe keep it simpler than that with more unique heroes, but that's what came to mind. Also, there's this quick start guide from 2008 that I find to be extremely helpful to keep around, but especially for new players.

Good luck recruiting the girlfriend. They say it can be done!
Wonderful help. I'll start digging around for a map. Thank you.

EDIT: Turns out I don't have Knights or Blade Gruts. Any other suggestions Dr.Goomonkey?

Seldom in life is the right thing to do and the easy thing to do one in the same.

-Unknown

Last edited by onibaku06; July 19th, 2023 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Additonal info
Old July 19th, 2023, 03:27 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Double Dragon. Braxas and Nilfheim.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 19th, 2023, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Double Dragon. Braxas and Nilfheim.
Not a bad idea either. I dig it.

-Unknown
Old July 19th, 2023, 08:08 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by onibaku06 View Post
EDIT: Turns out I don't have Knights or Blade Gruts. Any other suggestions Dr.Goomonkey?
Honestly Tornado's idea is just better.

Doing something with more unique heroes and simpler turns makes a lot of sense. Here's the first draft of those armies straight outta my, er, top of my head.

Sonlen 160, Sgt Drake v2 330, Tarn Vikings 380, Izumi Samurai 440, Shiori 500 (if you have Valguard I'd put him in over the last two)
vs
Marrow Hive 160, Stingers x2 280, Drudge x2 380, Krug 500

Although, 500 point games can be too much for the very first game. Starting out with more of a duel, like Tornado said, seems smart. I have done this in the past but I forgot about it. Two card armies are a lot of fun, and could even let the other person choose their army.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN
Old July 20th, 2023, 01:25 AM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

A couple tips to help keep people from becoming emotionally disinterested:

Careful with instakill/mindshackle powers. It can feel arbitrary if you suddenly say hey I got a 20 on mindshackle or poisonous acid breath, so you don’t have that full health hero anymore. If you do use it either give it to them or when you roll clearly announce it and make sure to shake the d20 well to give it chance to sink in that this roll is important.

Have armies that look to be about the same physical/numerical size. Even though it isn’t what determines whether an army is good or not, sometimes I’ve had new people ask why someone else’s army is bigger. It be easily explained that individual units are weaker, but if she doesn’t trust you or you win because you leveraged the asymmetry in the number of units, it can feel unfair.
Old July 20th, 2023, 11:05 AM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I did something good for classic, nice.
Old July 20th, 2023, 04:33 PM

Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker Manatee knows what's in an order marker

For newbies (especially if they're not much of a gamer in general), the fewer powers, the better. Omnicron Snipers and Guilty McCreech-type cards (with just a single, simple power) are a good starting point.
Old July 20th, 2023, 08:14 PM

Also a big fan of Mimring and Charos.
Old July 21st, 2023, 09:22 AM

itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby! itsbuzzi rolls all skulls baby!

I taught one person to play and underestimating their understanding is not something I did. That being said I didn't make things too simple at all, on the contrary I think I had 2 armies laying around and just played on the map I had built, a large map in of itself.

Thinking back it worked out that time but moving forward I would stay away from units that either let you throw a lot or too little dice. Units like Venocs, Snipers, or AG may be a bit frustrating to a new player as the vipers almost always die from any attack and having to roll a single attack die and missing half your shots can also be frustrating.

A smaller map and smaller armies can work. You mainly need to teach LOS, attack/defense, engagement and movement. The rest can come later.

Keep doing what you're doing, but do it better. ~Self

Classic Card Scans & Tourney Map Building Requirements Excel Sheet
Old July 21st, 2023, 09:57 AM

All great ideas and advice.

My girlfriend enjoys playing games with me, but isn't much of a gamer herself. I think keeping the armies simple is the best way to go about it.

On my days off this week, I will make a couple of armies and post them here.

Also want to make a map that is both simple to play on but looks cool.

-Unknown

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion