Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics
Comics Not Heroscape or Marvel Heroscape.

Old September 21st, 2016, 06:55 PM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Comics: what are you currently reading?

@Hex_Induction_Hour, sounds interesting! Clowes is a cartoonist I've been meaning to check out for a while now. Would you say Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron is a good place to jump into his work?

Myself, I accidentally ended up on a Grant Morrison kick recently. Couple weeks ago, I finally got my hands on a copy of Multiversity from the library. In typical Morrison fashion, it's weird, a little hard to follow, and extremely meta. I'd say your opinion on his previous work (and especially his ideas in Flex Mentallo) will largely drive how you feel about Multiversity.

While I was on vacation this week, I finally got around to reading his Seven Soldiers of Victory, which I bought about a year ago on a great Comixology sale. That's just a solid read, regardless of how you feel about Morrison. Seven fun, very different minseries linking together to form an overarching story. It's a neat idea, and the writing is good. I'm also working my way through his Action Comics run from the beginning of New 52.

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"
Old September 22nd, 2016, 11:19 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

I've been burned by Morrison so many times. Didn't care for Arkham Asylum. Found All-Star Superman underwhelming. Thought his Action Comics run was completely forgettable. But for some reason I keep buying more stuff by him... I really want to read Multiversity and enjoyed the single issue I own.
Old September 22nd, 2016, 11:33 AM

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139 View Post
I've been burned by Morrison so many times. Didn't care for Arkham Asylum. Found All-Star Superman underwhelming. Thought his Action Comics run was completely forgettable. But for some reason I keep buying more stuff by him... I really want to read Multiversity and enjoyed the single issue I own.
I find Morrison an interesting writer, and I'm of two minds about him. I definitely think he's over-hyped and over-praised by certain circles, but he's also a very talented writer with some good works. All-Star Superman is one of my favorite miniseries, his Animal Man run is great, and I have a serious soft spot for his New X-Men run, despite it's numerous flaws (please no one let him write Magneto again). Arkham Asylum isn't all that in my opinion, and I'm not impressed by his Action Comics run so far, but we'll see. He's a very divisive figure, but I fall more on the "I like him" side, even if he can come off as pretentious at times. His book Supergods is a good look inside his head and works, and I'd recommend it to any who enjoys his work.

Old October 5th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I've been reading the collected volumes of Priest's Black Panther run back in 1998. (I just finished volume 2.) Amazing stuff and very funny too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old October 5th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

Love Priest's Panther. Best stuff anyone's ever done with the character. Priest is writing Deathstroke right now and it's only a few issues in, but it feels similar to his Panther in some ways. I recommend checking it out.
Old October 5th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I want to check out his Deadpool run too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old October 5th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

I've yet to try his Deadpool. I've heard it's not that great, but I'll still give it a shot eventually. I did recently re-read the (excellent) Joe Kelly run that precedes it, so it may be a good time to check out Priest's stuff.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 02:12 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Just found a fourth new "library edition" hardback graphic novel of Avatar the Last Airbender at my Barnes and Noble (discount coupon in hand). These collect three continuous soft cover graphic novels each, and are very good.

This is called SMOKE AND SHADOW. It deals with a Fire Nation conspiracy to asassinate Fire Lork Zuko and restore his father to the throne!

Last edited by chas; June 11th, 2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2016, 01:52 PM

Finally got the later volumes of Layman and Guillory's Chew out from the library. I'd forgotten how stupidly silly that book is. It's so much fun.

Old June 11th, 2017, 04:29 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

For some reason, I've become interested in THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY lately. I was at Barnes & Noble with some heavy discount coupons with me, and got:

1. Huge hardback: The Guardians of the Galaxy
Creating Marvel's Spacefaring Super Heroes: The Complete Comics History
by Marc Sumerak
(Insight Editions, 2017)

Since I haven't read their comics since the original run of the old team in the late 60s, I decided it was time to catch up. I learned a lot, and which Super Scape minis I can most 'legitimately' team up with my GOG: Quasar, Iron Man, Kitty Pride, and etc. Cool.

2. Trade Paperback: Guardians of the Galaxy by Abnett & Lanning:
The Complete Collection Volume 1
(Marvel Worldwide, 2008 Third Printing 2014 "The books the movie is based on." Hey, wait a minute--Volume 1? Okay, I just ordered volume 2).

Chas-27
Jupiter Colony
Old June 13th, 2017, 10:33 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I just read Wackyland Races from the DC comics Hanna Barbera reboot. It was interesting, and I certainly enjoyed it (I like post apoc stuff like Fallout and Mad Max). I don't know if I'm gonna read any of the other stuff in the reboot, anyone else read them and enjoy them?

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old June 14th, 2017, 07:02 AM

I've read the first trades of most of them. Future Quest is fun and enjoyable, very inspired by The New Frontier.

Scooby Apocalypse is a mess. No tonal consistency at all. It can't figure out if it wants to be a serious drama, or a goofy reimagining, and neither version works great.

The Flintstones is fantastic though! The best social satire I've read in a while, and one of the best books of the past couple years. It managers to be funny, sad, moving, and thoughtful, sometimes all at once. Highly recommend.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Comics