Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Old January 11th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun
Project Pokemon: Scenarios (Kanto maps needed)

Project Pokemon
Scenarios and Maps Team

(General discussion about Project Pokémon occurs here.)
(Visit the Playtesting Thread here.)
(Participate in the Design Thread here.)

Scenarios/Maps Team
Team Lead: White Knight
DeathDoom

Consultant: wulfhunter667

Purpose of the Scenarios/Maps Team
The purpose of the Scenarios and Maps Team is to design the Scenarios and Maps for the Project Pokemon Master Set.

Types of Scenarios
- Classic Scape (we won't be designing any new scenarios for this)
- Pokescape army battle
- Pokescape one-on-one battle (like in the video games)
- Capture that Pokemon!
- Series of battles (with simple evolution rules)
- Regional campaign (with advanced evolution and power up rules)

Scenarios/Maps Team Rules
- any member of Project Pokemon may submit designs for scenarios and maps
- each scenario and map will be evaluated and voted on by the Scenarios/Maps Team
- after approval by the Team, the scenario or map will move to a playtesting phase (TBD)
- once a set of scenarios and maps are generated, the scenarios and maps will be presented to the Project Pokemon team for final approval
- after final approval, PDF instructions will be produced for the scenario

Important Design Considerations
- each Pokescape scenario needs a good storyline
- the more each scenario can build on each other, the better

- scenarios should highlight at least one of the Pokescape specific rules
- the Master Set should include enough scenarios to highlight each of the different Pokescape rules (with the possible exception of advanced evolution)
- W/R/I
- one-on-one battling
- capturing Pokemon
- Trainer Cards
- simple evolution
- advanced evolution (campaign style)

Terrain Allowed
(Thanks to the BoV for some of these guidelines.)

A) General Guidelines
1. Maps are generally not to exceed 1 Master Set and up to 2 terrain expansions.

Keep in mind the fewer expansions a map includes the more likely it is to be used. Submitted maps must state what sets are needed.

2. Use of the Marro Hive as a line-of-sight blocker is allowed with the SotM set.

3. Submitted maps must include build instructions.

4. Glyphs/Items are not required, but any number may be used to enhance a map. Scenarios must state how glyphs/items are to be used.

B) Army-style Battles
1. Maps for army-style battles shall contain exactly 24 hexes of start zone for each player.

2. Start zones must be identified in the build instructions and must accommodate the Marro Hive in some capacity.

3. Maps should be balanced for 1-on-1 competition between two (2) 400-600 point armies

4. Maps should not heavily favor any one special ability to the point that it makes the map non-competitive if an army does not contain that ability (i.e. range, flying, etc.).

C) One-on-One Pokemon-style Battles
1. Maps for One-on-One battles shall contain exactly 1 hex of start zone for each player.

2. Start Zones will be for the non-battling Pokemon Trainer figure only and must be placed so that the Trainer Figure does not create a blockage from one part of the map to another.

3. Start zones must be identified in the build instructions.

4. Maps should be balanced for 1-on-1 competition between two (2) 300-600 point armies.

5. While balanced maps are prefered, theme is more important than balance. For example, a Rock-type gym should favor Rock-type Pokemon and Water-type gyms should favor Water-type Pokemon.

D) Pokescape Campaign Maps
(Rules to come)

Classification of Heroscape sets:
Master Sets. One of the following may be used as a master set:
o Rise of the Valkyrie
o Marvel: The Conflict Begins
o Swarm of the Marro
o D&D: Battle for the Underdark

Expansions: Up to two of the following may be used:
o Road To The Forgotten Forest
o Volcarren Wasteland
o Thaelenk Tundra
o Fortress of the Archkyrie
o Ticalla Jungle

Hybrid Master Sets: One of the following may be used in place of the two expansions:
o Marvel: The Conflict Begins (Except when also used as a master set.)
o Swarm of the Marro (Except when also used as a master set.)
o D&D: Battle for the Underdark

Scenarios In Design
Pallet Town Sea Cave Training Gym

Scenarios In Playtesting
(These maps are in playtesting and may be used to playtest both Pokemon and the maps themselves. Only one of these maps will be included in the Project Pokemon Master Set. Please feel free to playtest the maps and post comments on this thread or on the Project Pokemon playtesting thread.)

Pallet Town Training Field Option 1

Pallet Town Training Field Option 2

Pallet Town Training Field Option 3

Pallet Town Training Field Option 4

Pallet Town Sea Cave Training Gym Option 1

Pallet Town Sea Cave Training Gym Option 2

Pallet Town Sea Cave Training Gym Option 3

Pallet Town Sea Cave Training Gym 8

Scenarios Approved by the Scenarios/Maps Team
(in process)

Last edited by White Knight; August 3rd, 2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Kanto designs needed
Old January 11th, 2011, 10:26 AM

White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun White Knight is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Project Pokemon: Scenarios/Maps Team

Our Pokescape Scenarios/Maps Team is pretty small, which means more work but more focus as well.

There have been several ideas suggested for scenarios:

The inital Project Pokemon Scenarios thread is here: Initial Project Pokemon Scenarios Thread.

Ideas for simple evolution can be found here: Simple Evolution.

Ideas for a Kanto Campaign can be found here: Kanto Campaign.

Ideas for different types of scenarios can be found here: Types of Scenarios.

Rules for Catching Pokemon can be found here: Capturing Pokemon. (We probably want to factor in Status Effects as well.)

Rules for Advanced Evolution can be found here: Advanced Evolution.

Last edited by White Knight; February 1st, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old January 11th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Project Pokemon Scenarios/Maps Team Direction
I'll be honest in that I have no interest in a simple evolution series of scenarios. If there is still a desire to put those together then we'll do them later.

The Kanto Campaign with experience markers, advanced evolution, and permanent Protein, Carbos, etc... (that can be purchased with experience markers--for those Pokemon that don't evolve) can be presented in the expansion waves (although we might do it here). Either way, it is not the first priority.

First Scenario
The way I'd like to run this is to try to come up with a training map that we can use for either the Pokescape army battles or Pokescape on-on-one battles (with switching out of Pokemon).

I'm suggesting something like a Pallet Town Training Field.

This Pallet Town Training Field (or whatever we name it) would be like a BoV map for our Pokemon. It would also serve as the first map of my Kanto Campaign--a one-on-one battle between Ash and Gary.

I see the Kanto Campaign being for 1 to 4 players who are Trainers (and travel together like Ash, Misty, and Brock) and 1 Game Master. The Pallet Town Training Field would teach the new players the basic of Pokemon battling.

Terrain Allowed
But before we can get to the Training Field map design contest, we first need to set ground rules on the terrain.

What terrain is allowable for the Project Pokemon Master Set scenarios?

- should we follow BoV rules?
- should we allow just 1 Master Set?
- Tundra?
- Lava?

Any comments on terrain allowed?
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:44 AM

DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Terrain Allowed
But before we can get to the Training Field map design contest, we first need to set ground rules on the terrain.

What terrain is allowable for the Project Pokemon Master Set scenarios?

- should we follow BoV rules?
- should we allow just 1 Master Set?
- Tundra?
- Lava?

Any comments on terrain allowed?
I would suggest that, at least for the master set, we should make a number of maps with various terrain sets in order to allow people with limited terrain to use the set. As well, I think that the BoV format for mapmaking materials is a good idea, but the balancing of map is unnecessary, at least in the campaign.
As for using Tundra, Lava, Road, et cetera, I think they will greatly add to the Kanto campaign, especially the gym battles- imagine Blaine's gym full of fire and lava!
Old January 15th, 2011, 01:46 AM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Since BftU is the most recent and probably most available set out there I think we should add at least two maps using just that set, just to make our project more accessible to new scapers.

Old January 15th, 2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
Since BftU is the most recent and probably most available set out there I think we should add at least two maps using just that set, just to make our project more accessible to new scapers.
I agree. I was thinking about that as well.

I think you and I do the most playtesting, so it also makes sense to try to make most of the maps for the Master Set using terrain we can both playtest. What sets do you have?

I have (I've gone a little crazy with terrain):
- 4 RotV
- 2 SotM
- 2 BftU (thanks to that Amazon sale!)
- 1 Marvel

- 1 Jungle
- 1 Road to the Forgotten Forest
- 1 Tundra
- 1 Lava
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:09 PM

1-on-1 Battles

I've been putting together rules for one-on-one Trainer versus Trainer battles and finally tested my ideas last night versus my 9 year old son. He really enjoyed it!

Rules

Before the Battle
- each player chooses a non-combatant Trainer figure and places the figure on any space in their starting zone
- Trainer figures cannot be attacked or moved by any special powers or abilities. They are treated as solid obstacles for purposes of line-of-sight and moving.

- each player chooses 6 pokemon
- no more than 360 points per team

Starting the Battle
- before placing Order Markers, each player rolls the 20-sided die. The player with the lower roll must choose 1 Pokemon from their team to be their Active Pokemon and must place that Pokemon on the battlefield within 3 clear sight spaces of their Trainer figure.
- the other player then chooses 1 Pokemon from their team to be their Active Pokemon and places it on the battlefield within 3 clear sight spaces of their Trainer figure.
- both players place all their Order Markers on the card of their Active Pokemon

Battling
- only the Active Pokemon from each player's team can be on the battlefield. Other Pokemon are considered to be on their player's bench.
- after revealing an Order Marker, instead of taking a turn with that Active Pokemon a player can recall that Pokemon to their bench (from anywhere on the battlefield) and send out another Pokemon to be their Active Pokemon
- sent out Pokemon must be placed within 3 clear sight spaces of their Trainer figure
- if you recall a Pokemon and send out another Pokemon, transfer all Order Markers to the new Active Pokemon's Army Card. The Pokemon that was just sent out cannot move or attack on the same turn that it was sent out.
- All wounds and Status Effects (and ailments such as Curse) remain on Pokemon recalled to their bench, but benched Pokemon do not suffer any effects or wounds while on their bench. Status Effects and other ailments only affect Active Pokemon.
- if a Pokemon you control is destroyed, you may immediately choose one of your benched Pokemon to be your Active Pokemon and place it on the battlefield within 3 clear sight spaces of your Trainer figure. Transfer all Order Markers to the newly sent out Pokemon's card.

Victory
- the battle is over when all Pokemon on a player's team are destroyed.

Battlefield

Battle Report
Team A
Gastly
Scyther
Pidgey
Pikachu
Charmander
Abra

Team B
Charmeleon
Squirtle
Magnemite
Paras
Sandshrew
Bulbasaur

Spoiler Alert!

Team B wins with Charmeleon (2 wounds), Bulbasaur, and Squirtle left.

PS My son loved it so much he's upstairs doing another battle by himself!

Last edited by White Knight; January 26th, 2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:12 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

That's awesome. There's a lot of similarities between this and the TCG, but that's at all a bad thing. Basically we're recycling the system without power creep or blind purchase. Great report!

Old January 16th, 2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
That's awesome. There's a lot of similarities between this and the TCG, but that's at all a bad thing. Basically we're recycling the system without power creep or blind purchase. Great report!
Unless you buy the Random 1" Pokemon figure packs.

Adding terrain also really enhances the play.
Old January 19th, 2011, 03:57 PM

Added a preliminary set of rules to the front page of this thread.

I agree with Chardar about having at least 2 maps with the BftU. I'll post my ideas soon.

Any comments on the rules?
Old January 19th, 2011, 05:31 PM

DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker DeathDoom knows what's in an order marker

Why is Battle for the Underdark listed as allowing it to be used as a master set and an expansion set on the same map?
Old January 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDoom View Post
Why is Battle for the Underdark listed as allowing it to be used as a master set and an expansion set on the same map?
There were two thoughts behind this:
1) The BoV allows for maps with 2 Battle for the Underdark sets.

2) The Battle for the Underdark Sets are the most readily available terrain sets right now.

I don't know what sets people have, or even who will be using these scenarios, but I know we want them to be usable by as many people as possible.

But the sets are not set in stone (despite being on the first page). I'm willing to change the allowable terrain if anyone has any suggestions.

Maybe we need to start designing first...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum