Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old January 26th, 2009, 01:17 AM
C3G Hero

Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness
White Martians

Here's my last custom for the weekend [not that I don't have another wave ready to go, I just need some sleep].

Inspired by my desire to put as many characters from the work of Grant Morrison into my Heroscape game as possible, I present to you the White Martians from his very first story arc on JLA:

They're still kinda rough, so I'd appreciate any feedback you can muster. I feel that they are a bit bland, but since they can mimic just about anything, how can I make them more unique?

UPDATE: Remade Army Card [now a Common Hero]

Last edited by Garada; March 21st, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old January 26th, 2009, 10:56 AM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
White Martians, Union Jack

WHITE MARTIANS
Well that didn't work... ^

- Instead of Shape-Shifting I would just call it Phantom Walk. I know it's not as thematically flavorful, but just for future Shape-Shifters there is a lot you can do with that power.
- Why Flight and not Flying?
- I like Hyperclan, though 12 spaces is kind of far away. Also the way you have it worded they can attack twice, once with the special then once after. Since there are so many specials that involve multiple attacks (Q9, Kaemon, Captain America, etc.) I think I would have it replace the attack. But it's your choice.
- Points are hard to tell, it's going to vary so much on the Special Attacks of others.

UNION JACK
- Silver Dagger: use 'figure' instead of 'defender' more official language.
- I really like him. He's like Q9, but not. very good job, the only thing is I honestly can't get a good estimate on his points. His special is worse than the Major and he has two less defense and no normal range, but he has counterstrike. I'd price him a tad lower than Q9, but since Q9 is considered underpriced I don't know. I'd still drop him 5 or 10 because being a Soulborg is a huge advantage... although so is being Valient. Hmmmm... maybe 5 points less, you'll find out in testing.

Old January 26th, 2009, 03:08 PM
C3G Hero

Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness Garada wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: White Martians, Union Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi1hi1hi1hi1 View Post
WHITE MARTIANS
Well that didn't work... ^

- Instead of Shape-Shifting I would just call it Phantom Walk. I know it's not as thematically flavorful, but just for future Shape-Shifters there is a lot you can do with that power.
- Why Flight and not Flying?
- I like Hyperclan, though 12 spaces is kind of far away. Also the way you have it worded they can attack twice, once with the special then once after. Since there are so many specials that involve multiple attacks (Q9, Kaemon, Captain America, etc.) I think I would have it replace the attack. But it's your choice.
- Points are hard to tell, it's going to vary so much on the Special Attacks of others..
You are right on all points. I was in dire need of sleep when I posted the card, and I see now that it looks sloppy. I mainly wanted to get it up here for you all to help me with it! Thanks for the feedback.

WHITE MARTIAN Army Card UPDATED:
1] rearranged the order of the powers to make it more official looking [flight at the bottom, d-20 power at the top].

2] I changed HYPER CLAN into a d20 power to give it a bit more of a limitation. You can still hit it better than 50/50, and it lets me keep the 12 hex thing without making them overpowered. I also fixed the wording to make it clear that it is used INSTEAD of a normal attack.

3] changed SHAPE SHIFTING to PHANTOM WALK. You are absolutely right, there is still something cool that could be done with a future SHAPE SHIFTING power. As it stands, PHANTOM WALK still fits thematically, since White Martians can make themselves invisible.

As far as FLIGHT vs FLYING... I have no idea why I did that. I looked back at all of my customs, and they ALL use FLIGHT instead of FLYING. I left the wording as is on the White Martians for now, but since you pointed it out, I will change it in a future revision... then I want to change it on ALL my cards! I just don't have the energy for that right now. So it's FLIGHT for now, but thanks for pointing it out.

I still feel like this one could use a bit of refinement, so expect it to change soon.

Note: The white text you used looks great in the darker colored quote box!

Last edited by Garada; January 26th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old January 26th, 2009, 03:57 PM
C3G Hero

Re: White Martians, Union Jack

Quote:
UNION JACK
- Silver Dagger: use 'figure' instead of 'defender' more official language.
- I really like him. He's like Q9, but not. very good job, the only thing is I honestly can't get a good estimate on his points. His special is worse than the Major and he has two less defense and no normal range, but he has counterstrike. I'd price him a tad lower than Q9, but since Q9 is considered underpriced I don't know. I'd still drop him 5 or 10 because being a Soulborg is a huge advantage... although so is being Valient. Hmmmm... maybe 5 points less, you'll find out in testing.
Glad you like him... he should be fun to use against Zombies and Vampires. I have changed the wording on SILVER DAGGER per your suggestion. I lowered his cost by 5, but I am definitely going to test him before considering that his final price. As you said, Q9 may be underpriced, and since UJ will often be taking advantage of his VALIANT status in my games, I'm going to wait to see how he does. 175 looks cool though, so there it is!
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Garada's Customs -01/25 White Martians & misc UPDATES!

You could simplify Hyperclan more and make it a little clearer.

"After moving and instead of attacking, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 9 or higher you may use any Special Attack of a Unique Hero within 12 spaces."

Oh, I just thought of some issues with this.

1) What if you miss the roll, with how you have it worded they may still attack with their normal.
2) What if their is a figure with a special Attack within 12 spaces of one Martian, but 15 spaces away from another. I think by either wording they are allowed to use the power. Maybe you can clarify, something like "Instead of attacking, for each White Martain you may roll the 20-sided die once. If you roll a 9 or higher that Martain may use the Special Attack of any figure within 12 spaces." Does that help?
3) I would draft Q9 and these guys and go wild.

Old January 26th, 2009, 04:43 PM
C3G Hero

Re: Garada's Customs -01/25 White Martians & misc UPDATES!

Quote:
You could simplify Hyperclan more and make it a little clearer.

"After moving and instead of attacking, roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 9 or higher you may use any Special Attack of a Unique Hero within 12 spaces."

Oh, I just thought of some issues with this.

1) What if you miss the roll, with how you have it worded they may still attack with their normal.
2) What if their is a figure with a special Attack within 12 spaces of one Martian, but 15 spaces away from another. I think by either wording they are allowed to use the power. Maybe you can clarify, something like "Instead of attacking, for each White Martain you may roll the 20-sided die once. If you roll a 9 or higher that Martain may use the Special Attack of any figure within 12 spaces." Does that help?
3) I would draft Q9 and these guys and go wild.
These are all great ideas. I agree that Hyperclan is still too messy. I'm going to take a nap and ponder all of this. I will update this post soon with changes to the WHITE MARTIANS when I regain consciousness.
Old January 26th, 2009, 07:44 PM
C3G Hero

Werewolves of London

In honor of my 100TH POST, I present to you my quickest and cheapest custom yet:

I basically made them to add LYCANTHROPEs to my Heroscape universe. I was digging through my friend's box of MageKnight stuff and marvelled at the number of cool-looking 'Were____' figures he has. My favorite was the Werebear! Plus, I have a ton of Anubian Wolves. I updated UNION JACK's Silver Dagger to affect UNDEAD and LYCNTHROPE figures, since this fits his character. I thought of putting WOLVES, but that's unfair to the wolves of Badru... they're not werewolves as far as I'm aware, and even if they're supposed to be, they don't look like werewolves the way the Anubians do.

In the interest of full disclosure, they are EXACTLY the same as the Anubian Wolves with the expcepion of being Lycanthropes instead of Wolves.

Enjoy!
-Garada

Last edited by Garada; January 26th, 2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old January 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM
C3G Hero

Etrigan The Demon

Gone! Gone! The form of man,
Rise, the Demon ETRIGAN!

First and foremost, the full credit for the stat design of this figure goes to Sherman Davies. You should check out his original version [and all of his other killer customs] and marvel at it's awesomeness. As stated elsewhere in this thread, it was because of his Demon that I just had to make Klarion. This version of Etrigan is purely a cosmetic change to Mr. Davies' card to match the quirky aesthetic of my own custom Army Cards. No, I will not be remaking everybody else's customs on a regular basis, but I love Etrigan. With that said, heeeeeeeeres ETRIGAN:

For those paying close attention, I did make one MINOR, [mostly] inconsequential change to Mr. Davies original stats. My Etrigan is a DARKLORD rather than a LORD. True, Etrigan is not inherently EVIL [hence his alliance with Einar], but he is after all a DEMON! And while he is indeed a LORD, one must suspect that his holdings would be in HELL. Therefore, he is a DARKLORD. Really, it's just in the interest of giving him [slightly] higher compatibility with Classic 'Scape.

-Garada
Old January 27th, 2009, 02:45 AM
C3G Hero

Scape of the Living Dead

'Scape of the Living Dead

More Zombies for Heroscape.

I would like to get this out of the way right up front. I LOVE zombies!!!
I have [or have seen] just about every 'good' zombie movie out there. Heck, I've also seen a ton of crummy ones. To me, Romero is up there with Kubrick and Miyazaki. Among the many nerdy games I play is Twilight Creation's ZOMBIES!!! That game rules... if you haven't played it yet, you should. Unfortunately, the miniatures in Zombies!!! are much too small for use in HS, which is too bad, because I've got hundreds of them, thanks to the many excellent expansions they have released to expand upon the generic TOWN setting of the 'Master Set'. There's the pre-requisite MALL, a MILITARY BASE [with glow-in-the dark 'radioactive' zombies], a UNIVERSITY campus, the WOODS [with zombie dogs] and several other classic zombie settings.

Of course, once I discovered Heroscape, I had to have Zombies of Morindan, and in fact I have six squads. They're great, fun to play and they work the way zombies SHOULD work. The sculpt is fine, but it's a little bit plain. I prefer a little more 'modern' zombie style. It didn't take me long to find the excellent array of zombies in the HorrorClix line. There are a wide variety of basic modern zombies available for around a buck each. This wealth of zombie minis lead me to the decision to make a new Zombie Army Card. The problem is, I couldn't think of any way to improve the original. The cost is right on, they are effective en masse, basically, perfect. Why re-invent the wheel? Combine this with the fact that I'm usually pretty lazy by default, and there you have my newest custom Army Card, ZOMBIES OF MANHATTAN!

EDIT 02/13/09: Alternate Superhero style Army Card:

ALTERNATE: More expensive Army Card with different Special Attack:

The sculpts I used for my hit zone silhouettes.

Some other cool zombies from HorrorClix:

Please enjoy the undead flesh feast that is coming soon to a Heroscape map near you!

-Garada

As a side note to people interested in knowing more about Zombies!!! - Seriously, the minis are way too small for scape, unless you want to have zombie midgets. Plus they're unpainted, and they're not really meant to be painted anyway. The numerous map tiles can be used with HeroScape or HeroClix figures, so Zombies!!! and it's expansions may be of interest to you if you like to create your own games or make 'mash-ups'. My friends and I have used these tiles to play the DC Universe roleplaying game [The West End Games D6 version] , with HeroClix minis. Nowadays, if I ever find the time to play an RPG again, I'll probably be using my Heroscape terrain, but the Zombies!!! map tiles are nice and fast if you just want to lay out a town really quickly, or change locations fast. I imagine they would also make great maps for HeroClix... if anyone still plays that after discovering Heroscape.

Last edited by Garada; March 21st, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old January 27th, 2009, 03:01 AM
C3G Hero

Zombie Messiah

When I got my Zombie Trooper [from HorrorClix!] in the mail, I knew he was something special. Sure, he looked cool in the picture I saw online, and I even paid a little more than the average zombie for him, but when I held him in my hand, I knew he was worth it. This is a great sculpt, with a ton of zombie character and a little extra theme and story built in.

As I was making my Zombies of Manhattan card, I started thinking about zombie films in general. My mind wandered to LAND OF THE DEAD. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, so I'll just say that one of the zombies is not like the others. You should just watch the movie. Anyone who has seen it should understand immediately.

So what's more scary than 6 or more squads of Zombies coming at ya? How about the guy who's getting them all fired up and hungry for more BRAAAINNNNSSS!!!
Grab your shotgun and board up the windows, it's the ZOMBIE MESSIAH!

Please let me know what you all think. I kinda like this guy.

-Garada

UPDATE: Remade Army Card:

Last edited by Garada; March 21st, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
C3G Hero

Re: Garada's Customs - 02/03 AZTEK The Ultimate Man

Another one of Grant Morrison's creations [he did this one with Mark Millar], Aztek had a 10 issue run, then joined the Justice League. He is an interesting, complex character with a high-tech/mystic suit with a TON of powers, which made it a bit difficult to decide what to do with him in Heroscape. I decided to focus on his ability to overload the 4D Engine that powers his suit in an effort to sacrifice himself [to save the universe, of course]. He can shoot plasma bolts and turn invisible too. Not to mention the powers I couldn't squeeze into the card, like infared and x-ray vision, super strength, super speed, etc etc etc.

Here is AZTEK, The Ultimate Man!

Enjoy, and please.... FEEDBACK!

- Garada

UPDATE: Remade Army Card:

Last edited by Garada; March 21st, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:19 PM
C3G Hero

Re: Garada's Customs - 02/03 AZTEK The Ultimate Man

Well, I had the honor of my Union Jack being selected for the excellent NM24 Process, and the end result is this:

It's a better card after the peer review, so thanks to the gang over on that thread. You should check it out!

- Garada

Last edited by Garada; February 4th, 2009 at 06:41 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations