Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Old August 21st, 2007, 12:05 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The Spider Diaries-Updated 08-28-07 (final entry)

Well, I haven't seen a billion battle reports flow in yet, so I thought I'd share my experiences at this year's con. My results weren't nearly as good as last year's, but I still had a great time playing and meeting some awesome people. Everything is from memory here, so please don't be offended if I butcher your name or forget something.

Wednesday

Codeman and Jormi arrived at my house in Forest City, IA, to get ready for the long trek to the best 4 days of gaming. After my brother (Momo_The_Monkey) and I crammed all of our belongings into the car, we were ready to go. Whenever I get ready to travel a long distance the next morning, I sleep like crap the night before. Dog-tired, I flipped through my I-Pod to see what I could listen to help me fall asleep. Dashboard Confessionals was the closest thing I had, so that's what it was. It worked pretty well for the most part, but it was eventually pretty bright out, so I woke up and started discussing army possibilities with my travel mates. After my Orc Archer army got its butt handed to it by a variety of massedl, common ranged squads, I was thinking of switching up armies. I liked my orcs because I rarely had to worry about Q9, but I didn't have many other armies for which I wasn't worried about him. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to go with old faithful: a billion 4th Mass. In addition to 5 squads of them, I threw in Alastair and Eldgrim. More on this army selection later. After 8 long hours of driving through corn fields, we finally made it to Indy. Being about 8:00, we checked into the motel and walked over to the con to see what was going on. The Heroscape room was already blocked off, so we just wandered the halls for a while and went over to the Circle Center Mall to grab some grub. Now getting pretty late, we went back to the motel for the night.

Thursday

Thursday was jam-packed of Heroscape for me. It all started with the Heat of the Battle event at 10:00. For this event, For this event, I decided to go with one of the most underused units with great potential, the zombies. My army was as follows:

4X Zombies of Morindan
2X Roman Legionnaires
Me-Burq-Sa
Isamu

I liked this army for a few reasons. 1, I would probably be able to out-card my opponent, and 2, it had quite a bit of variety for such a small army. Before too long, the event started, and I was up against an army of:

Blade Gruts
2X Heavy Gruts
Tornak
Grimnak

My first priority in this match was to kill Chompy, so I set my Romans out for that task. I think my opponent (sorry I can't remember your name!) only got to chomp once before a swarm of Romans+Me-Burq-Sa took him out. From there, I just had Zombies do normal attacks on Heavy Gruts until my numbers started thinning, in which case I'd go after Blade Gruts. The plan worked out pretty well, and the slaughter attack on Tornak was what ended the game. My opponent probably killed 15 or so zombies, but only one zombie was dead by the end of the game.

My second match was against Scaper_Dude from Arizona. Now, usually when I face someone younger than myself, I figure it's probably going to be a cakewalk. Boy was I wrong. He fielded an army of:

5X Heavy Gruts
Nerak

The army scared the bejesus out of me especially since we were playing on a lava map (he could disengage on turn 3 to get off the lava whereas I had to either disengage and risk damage or risk lava damage). The battle was basically a brawl back and forth until a point where I had lots of zombies on lava....six of them to be exact. I was prepared to lose three zombies because of this, but instead, five zombies died! Numbers were now in his favor until the next round of lava damage where he couldn't get all his guys off the lava surface. I believe either 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 6 gruts died in this carnage. Not a bad tradeoff. Luck was pretty average for both of us up until the end when I started rolling very well. I knew I wasn't quite finished, but with a few lucky rolls and initiative wins, I still had a chance. If average rolls ensued from here on out, Brandan surely would have won. Sure enough, my luck increased and Brandan's luck turned sour. Even so, I only had 2 Romans left by the time Nerak fell. This was without a doubt the closest game of the weekend for me. Thanks for the great game, Brandan.

My third game I'm competely drawing a blank on. I'll edit this if I can remember, but the Zombies did their thing the whole game, and I had a good supply of them by the end.

My fourth game (again, sorry I can't remember the name!) was against an army of:

Major Q9
3X Deathreavers
2X Warriors of Ashra

This was played on UPC's map, Highways and Dieways. There was also and attack glyph on this map, which I knew would help me a ton more than him. At first, I tried using the slaughter attack on Q9, but he eventually blocked Q9 off with rats of his own and controlled the attack glyph. So, I sent some zombies after the attack glyph, killed the rat, and respawned on the glyph before he could scatter back onto the glyph. From there on out, it was a very uneventful game. I killed his Ashra and rats at about the same pace he was able to kill my zombies, so I won on time with just some Romans dead. If there was no attack glyph in this game, it could have gone either way.

My final match was against Zach on Island Conflict. He fielded an army of:

3X Knights
Sir Hawthorne
Sir Denrick

I felt more confident about my chances in this game than in any other game. However, Zach was a very good player who hardly ever gave my zombies a chance to gain height advantage on any of his figs. A defense glyph was in the middle of the map, and I placed my guys first, but for some reason, I chose not to control the glyph the whole game as I put my Romans near the glyph. It was a pretty silly decision. I think I only killed 5 or so knights by the end of the game. I really can't blame the outcome of the game on luck as it was pretty average for both of us. I just used horrible tactics pretty much all game...and I'm not sure why I did. Either way, Zach was a very good player with a good sense of humor who deserved to win.

So, with a 4-1 record, I ended up second in the Heat of the Battle event and came away with a Marvel Heroscape set. I didn't get to playtest for this event hardly at all, but if I were to do it again, I think Heavy Gruts (or any units with disengage) or Zombies would be the way to go. Outcarding an opponent wasn't nearly as important as I thought it to be, though it did come in handy at times.

I'll keep adding to this thread as time allows, which means that next time a good conversation with Craig Van Ness himself will be included with some little known information to the rest of the Heroscape world . Also will be a win-a-wave tournament in which I suffered an embarrasing loss

New Entry

Shortly after my second place finish in the Heat of the Battle event, I was scheduled to run a Swarm of the Marro/Marvel teaching session with ninthdoc. It was a pretty fun experience, but it required lots of patience as well. With about 15-20 different tables of mostly new Heroscape players, I was bouncing back and forth trying to help out with their games. I targeted a group of what I figured were 5-year-olds early on to help them with Marvel. Now, usually when I teach someone Heroscape, I show all the stats on the cards what each of them do. When teaching these younguns, I had to be much more animated and use cooler words to keep their attention . After about 30 minutes or so, I was looking around at the tables to see if all was well, and all of a sudden Craig was over my shoulder. After a few minutes of talking about the con in general, I asked him a few questions I was curious about. These aren't even close to direct quotes, but it'll be easier to read this way...

Me: So how long ahead of time do you guys have each wave ready?

CVN: Well, we run everything in periods of 5 years, so most everything is done well in advance. The schedule is really flexible to change, but we plan things in periods of 5 years.

Me: Where did you get the inspiration for the defense/tree rule?

CVN: Most mini games have some sort of "cover" rule in them, so it's more just a general concept.

Me (thinking): "Dang, I was hoping he got it from the TTO."

Buddy Lee (came up after a little while): Craig, I have to know, are you guys going to do war elephants?

Craig: War elephants? Yes, we've looked at war elephants as a possibility.

Me: Penguins with machine guns?

Craig: (laughs) Yes, we actually have drawn out ideas for them, but there's a certain line we don't want to cross where things get a little too crazy. Penguins with machine guns would probably cross that line.

I asked him about lots of other stuff, but I can't remember it all now. Anyway, I continued helping with various games until the crowd slowly started heading out.

Win-A-Wave Tourney

I was oh-so-close to using another Orc/Krug army at this year's championship event, but I didn't feel all that confident with it, so I decided to use it in one of two win-a-waves I was doing. Using my last year's undefeated army, I went with:

3X Swog Rider
3X Arrow Gruts
Krug
Raelin

My opponent was dragonmaster384 (sorry I can't remember the 1st name!) on Arctic Divide. He was playing:

Cyprien Esenwein
Sonya Esenwein
Major Q9
Marcu Esenwein

Usally I hate seeing the Major, but when I play my orcs, I love seeing him. However, my opponent wasn't about to try out Q9's luck against my Krug. On the very first turn of the game, my opponent activated Marcu but rolled a 20! I could gain height advantage on only one fig, and it happened to by Sonya, so I put 2 wounds on her. A good game so far! I spent my first turns sending out Swogs and Gruts to glyphs and getting ready for the Cyprien assault. I had never played against Cyprien with my orcs, but I knew it was a bad matchup. Well, after some good chilling touch wounds on Raelin, my orcs started falling like crazy. I think I only gave him a chance to get 2 guys once, but it was enough for him heal faster than I could wound. However, during the carnage I was able to send some grut assassins over to finish off Sonya. Soon I was left with just Krug, but I still liked my chances. I made my way across the board to assault Q9 and put a few wounds on him (while having 2 or 3 wounds), but dragonmaster rolled a 20 for Cyprien's chilling touch. Game over. Oh well, that's how it goes some times. So, I was knocked out in the first round of the win-a-wave, but I did lose to a good player who had a good counter for my army.

Next on the slate: The championship event!

New Entry-Championship Event

After scrapping an Orc Archer/Krug build at the last minute, I decided to go with an army that I felt had a better chance of making day 2 but a worse chance of winning it all. My army was:

5X 4th Mass
Alastair MacDirk
Eldgrim

I knew Major Q9 would be one of this army's weaknesses, but Alastair might be able to address that issue with some careful planning. Other than that, I wasn't particularly worried about any matchups. Eldgrim was designed to be my 1st turn glyph-grabber, and if my opponent kills him, Alastair would suddenly become one of the fastest units in the game (w/overextend). Anyway, here's a rundown of my games:

Game One- funrun (Nilfheim, 2x Rats, Raelin, Krav, Marro Warriors)

Yikes! It's the first round, and I get paired against one of the most solid players out there. This game was played on Highways and Dieways. Funrun won the first initiative and sent out rats to the glyphs (I believe attack and defense). I countered by marching right past her rats and started taking shots at her now-marching Krav. The Krav whiffed much quicker than they should have, and I started taking shots at rats when convenient. At one point in the game, I was able to kill off enough rats near the attack glyph and control it for the rest of the game. This proved very helpful when having to kill Raelin and then Nilfheim. Time ran out with quite a bit left on the board, which included one of her 3 Krav, her Marros, and a few rats. I believe my differential was 120 as she killed 2 squads of Mass and Eldgrim. I was just relieved to exit the first round with a win against funrun, without a doubt one of my toughest opponents.

Game Two- TMM? (Sir Gilbert, 2X Knights, 2X 4th Mass, Templar Cavalry)

I'm not exactly sure if this was indeed The Main Man from Michigan, but he was a good opponent from Ironwood, MI with a solid army. I usually don't ask for heroscapers names, so I could be wrong. Anyway, he started off the game by charging the Cavalry at my 4th Mass. Thanks to some good attacks on my part, only one 4th Mass died in the charge. Next he sent his knights in. After killing one of my Mass on the defense glyph, he was able to control the glyph for most of the game. The knights were rolling solid defense and took out more than their fair share of Mass, but they eventually fell. Sir Gilbert marched all the way to my starting zone and started swinging at Mass on will, but I then called on Alastair w/overextend to solve the problem. From there on out, I had roughly the same number of Mass as him left, but they were controlling the high ground, and I also had Alastair in case things when awry. I left the game with just 4 Mass and a twice-wounded Alastair.

Game Three- truth (4x Arrow Gruts, 4X Swog, Mimring, Krug, Isamu)

This game was played on Jormi's Hot Heights maps, and begun with truth sending out Mimring as I sent out Mass. Being careful not to let multiple targets get firelined, I started shooting at Mimring. Thanks to some incredible attacks on my part, Mimring went down while only getting to fireline two times, and both of those only rang up one skull . From there on out, my Mass controlled the high ground and killed his swogs before going after gruts. A timely initiative win ensured that Krug wouldn't do much damage before the end of game, and I left with Eldgrim and one squad of Mass eliminated.

Game Four- nwojedi (4x 4th Mass, Airborne Elite, Brunak)

I was both worried and anticipating a rematch of last year's championship match with Neo, and surely enough it came. After last year, I knew I was in for a world of hurt if I didn't play a nearly flawless game, which was to be played on Molten Ground. Jedi began the game by sending out Brunak with a 4th Mass on his back after the attack glyph (which was on a lava space...a nonfactor for Brunak). After that point, it was a complete brawl with 4th Mass shooting back and forth at each other with me only shooting Brunak when it was convenient. The AE dropped and won initiative on the 3rd round, and one of them used a grenade attack for 2 skulls to eliminate 4 4th Mass! I'm usually not too afraid of the AE, but in the hands of Neo, they dominate me. After finishing off the last AE, Neo had 5 4th Mass left and Brunak, and I had 4 4th Mass left and Alastair. Time was coming to a close, and Neo knew I was going to call on Alastair to fight Brunak, so he retreated to the other side of the board not risking a fight against the Scot. Time was called on my last turn with the 4th Mass, and I had one shot to kill a 4th Mass and tie the game. Sure enough, the Mass fell and we had a tie. I was more than happy to walk away with a tie after this game, and I hope to have more tough matches with Neo in the future.

Game Five- MattserTruckRally (Q9, Raelin, Laglor, Krav, Marcu, Isamu)

After going 4 games undefeated without seeing any Q9's, I was feeling pretty good about my chances of making day 2. When Matt laid down his army, I wasn't feeling too good about my chances as I told him that his army was what I was worried about. On Matt's side of the map was the defense glyph, and so he sent Marcu to stand on that on the first turn. I simply charged 4th Mass to the middle of the board. Upon arriving, I had 2 choices: kill Marcu or go after 6-defense Krav. I knew that Matt probably wouldn't be able to control the defense glyph if I killed Marcu, so I decided to go after him, but it took a very long time to eliminate him. In the process, Krav Maga were having fun with their shooting gallery full of 4th Mass. After Marcu and 6 or so Mass were gone, I took a few shots at the Krav. Thanks to some poor defense rolls, 2 of the 3 Krav were gone relatively quickly. Having a clearer path to Raelin now, I charged further and starting shooting her. It took about as much time as expected, and then it was Major Q9. Matt had killed more than his fair share of Mass by now, but I still had enough left to try and take out the Major. Well, long story short, all of my 15-20 Mass attacks pinged off his armor without inflicting a wound. I was left with just a couple lone Mass, Alastair, and Eldgrim. I knew that if I could win a timely initiative, I might be able to get some good attacks on Q9 and turn the tide. After a timely initiative win, Alastair charged up to Q9. I was able to get 3 attacks of 5 on his 7 defense, but none of them worked either. Soon Alastair was dead, and I was relying on Eldgrim to take on Q9. The dwarf fought valiantly, but alas, it was not meant to be. Matt won the match with a full-health Q9, Isamu, one Krav, and a full-health Laglor left.

So with a 3-1-1 record, I was feeling pretty good about my chances of making day 2, but it turns out that there were seven people with a 4-1 record. Oh well, there's always next year to try and reclaim the title. Momo_the_Monkey later told me that I still dealt out the only losses for 2 people who made it to day 2, so I still felt like I had a minor victory. Regardless, the competition was fierce and the games enjoyable.

My last entry will come soon which will include a win-a-wave victory while using SOTM units. Also will be my brief stint in the Big Ol' Monster Battle thanks to none other than R˙chean.

Final New Entry

So after watching some exciting games from the Slugfest tourney, I was geared up for a classic win-a-wave tourney. I had seen the new Marro Stingers in combat a few times already and wanted to give them a shot for myself:

4X Marro Stingers
2X Rats
Raelin

I'm usually not a rat player, but I figured the Marro Stingers could benefit from the glyphs better than most units. I tend to be more of an aggressive player, and the rats require some patience in setting them up. Also, they would help make their short range less of a factor. Raelin was icing on the cake to help the Stingers be all they could possibly be. Anyway...

Game One- damja (Sir Gilbert, 2X Knights, 2X 4th Mass, Isamu)

Damja was definitely one of the coolest people I met all weekend. I had the honor of playing him on a map that had both the attack glyph and lodin glyph. Unfortunately for him, my rats did a good job all game of holding the all-important attack glyph...this greatly helped throughout the course of the game. After sending a couple rats at the attack glyph and a couple towards the middle. My third turn marker consisted of me moving Raelin to a high point in the middle of the map. Damja spent his turns charging Gilbert and lots of knights toward the middle. No attacks were made during the first round. From there on out, I think all my markers were put on the Stingers in an attempt to kill of whatever I thought he had his markers on. I probably juiced with the Stingers only about 20% or so of the time, only doing it when I was going up against level ground knights. The rats provided a good shield to Raelin and my shooting Stingers for a while, but damja was able to eventually kill of the shielding rats and attack my core. However, I was rolling pretty hot all game and he didn't have much left by that time. The game ended with 5 Stingers left with either 3 or 4 rats.

Game Two- Scaper Dude (2X Glads, 2X Blasts, Kaemon)

After my close game with Brandan earlier, I knew I was in for another good game. This game was played on Annihilation Alley with an attack glyph and either a Lodin or Dagmar glyph. Anyhow, like last game, I put my 1 and 2 markers on the rats and 3 on Raelin. Brandan won initiative and went to control both glyphs. I believe he was also able to kill 1 rat before my third turn. On my 3rd turn, I sent out Raelin to a high point near the attack glyph which was also above a Gladiatron. She swung 4 dice at the Glad and took him down. Not too often do I attack with Raelin, so it felt like a huge moral victory. After that, I poured markers onto the Stingers and began wreaking havoc. I was able to kill the Glad off the attack glyph and control it for the rest of the game. Most of my units were in Raelin's aura, and they also provided a nice barrier to her. This was rough for Scaper Dude as he could only attack with 1 die on Raelin if he chose to go after her. Though the rats were mostly cyberclawed throughout the game, I figured it was generally a good tradeoff as it would have Brandan attacking my weaker units anyway. The game ended with Brandan paying tribute to The Last Samurai and charged with Kaemon. He took out 2 or 3 Stingers, but the game was already over. Brandan commented after the game that I was rolling horribly and still smoked him, but to his defense, I only rolled horribly when the situation wasn't nearly as critical. My good rolls occurred with defense rolls on rats and attack rolls when I needed to kill off engaged Glads. I think I only juiced about 20% in this game as well, but most of those were at the end against Kaemon. Either way, I hope to get in more games with Brandan in the future as he is both a great opponent and lots of fun to play.

Game Three- unknown opponent (2X Rats, Kaemon, Samurai Archers, Tagawa Samurai, Isamu)

This game was played on Hot Heights, and I used the same general tactics as before. I can't remember the glyphs, but they weren't crucial. My rolls were pretty good in this game, and I was able to kill whatever units he had his markers on before he got good use out of them. I don't remember a whole lot about this game, but only 2 rats and 1 Stinger were dead in the end.

For my victory, I was able to snag Wave 6. I always like getting more so I was pretty happy about that

The next day was the Big Ol' Monster Battle. I had two armies in mind for this:

4X Marro Stingers
The Hive

or

2X Swogs
2X Arrow Gruts
Krug
Major Q10

Since I had just played the Stingers, I decided to go with the latter. Also, I was worried about somebody bringing Airborne Elite and just assassinating my Hive right away . The plan was to provide cover fire for Krug as he went in to find whatever big monster my opponent chose.

Game One- Cleon (Charos, Templar Cavalry, 4th Mass)

This was the first game I've ever gotten to play against someone from Massachusetts who also used the 4th Mass, so I thought that was pretty cool :P. The game started with Cleon sending out the Cavalry as I set up some Swog clusters in the middle. His charge proved too much for a couple gruts, but the remaining archer forces were able to take them out. Shortly afterwords, the gruts and swog were able to kill off the Mass without too much return fire. Only left for Cleon now was Charos, and I managed to win initiative and get some 4 attack gruts on him. I was rolling 3 out of 4 pretty much every time I attacked, so even some gruts were able to put on some wounds on the beast. I tried engaging Charos with my Krug, but he wisely flew right past him and went in for my big monster. All of a sudden, I realized that despite my early success, Cleon could still win the game with a timely initiative win with a couple good attacks. Sure enough, he lost the initiative and a backed up Q10 to a safe distance from Charos' speed and took a normal attack (w/height) of 5 and took him down (rolling 4 skulls). I felt pretty bad for Cleon this game as this was probably my hottest dice of the entire GenCon. It was lots of fun playing him, though, and hopefully (for Cleon at least :P ) he'll get a rematch when the dice aren't burning holes through the table.

Game Two- Rickean??? Can't remember really...it was some dude with a goatee that was far luckier than good (Nilf, Q9, Marcu, Isamu)

I've never actually played R˙chean in a tourney, so it was good to finally play the man. His basic strategy was to go nuts with Q9. My strategy was to hope and get Krug over to Q9 as quickly as possible. There was an attack glyph on the map, so if I could control it, it might help kill the giant robot. Through some good attacks, I was able to put a couple wounds on Q9 with a Swog and some gruts, but he quickly dispatched of both my Swogs and 4 of my gruts. Having all of my markers on my gruts, I had to be careful to make sure Q9 couldn't kill both of them at once. After thinking about it for a while, I let R˙chean shoot at both my gruts on turn 2 (he won initiative and didn't have any more markers on Q9). However, it absolutely required that he land on a lava field space. He took the chance and easily killed both my gruts. Because of this, I didn't get a turn 2. However, I did put my 3rd marker on Q10, which I knew R˙chean wasn't expecting (and wouldn't have put Q9 on the lava had he known that). Q10 was able to do his Kaemon Awa attacks on Q9, . Next was the lava damage roll, but it did nothing. R˙chean won the next initiative and did 2 wounds to my Q10. It was then my turn and I had 2 choices: retreat Q10 and try and kill with Krug, or try and kill with Q10. Q9 was already up on a perch and Krug would need time to get up there, so I chose to attack with Q10. Q10 was able to do 1 wound with his 2 Kaemon Awa attacks, but he fell shortly thereafter when Q9 shot him down. My first game with Mark was a bit of a let down, and I didn't feel like I even gave him a good game. He spanked both me and my bro this year, so you can guarantee I'll be back next year to exact my revenge .

Looking back at my army selection, it was pretty dumb since most people won't try and brawl with Krug. They'll simply disengage or fly around him and go for my big monster anyway. It was good in theory for a while, but after thinking about it, it probably wasn't a good army.

Well, that's it for The Spider Diaries. In conclusion, this year wasn't nearly as good for me than last year, but I also faced much tougher competition this year. Oh, and for those who care, I'll be updating the Power Rankings soon. This will have all SOTM units, the other released units at GenCon, and revised rankings because of results at GenCon. Anyhow, I hope you have enjoyed the read.
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:11 PM

Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby! Finrod rolls all skulls baby!
Thanks for the report, SP! Very much appreciated!
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:47 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Oooh, yeah. Good report.
Old August 21st, 2007, 12:59 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
It is a good read! I'm real keen to the variety of armies used and Amazed it wasn't endless armies of Q9, Kravs, Nakitas, Raelin,
Zombies and Romans! Great stuff!
Seeing Sir Hawthorne and Marcu (in another GenCon thread) in tournament armies is good fun too!
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:19 PM
GenCon '07 Heat of Battle Champion

matrixrenegade has disabled reputation
Thanks for the compliments spider, I have to say when we sat down for the zombies vs knights battle I thought that you would roll over me. But those knights stood strong for me. It was awesome to play you and I look forward to the time I will get the oppourtunity to play another game with you.
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:04 PM

War Solves Everything has disabled reputation
You did really good with a zombie army against orc armies. That's pretty impressive.

I feel sorry for you. Your not me.
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Great Report 1st off,

Thanks so much, for those of us who didn't make it , but dream of going next year.

I like the zombies and would not have thought of picking them for the tourney, you did great with them. I am really suprised how many non-ranged or limited # of ranged unit armies there where, you faced a few, which is a big plus for you. I think a 4th Mass. army with Raelin behind them would be tough on the zombies, depends on the board though,and glyphs.

Great report.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:30 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Spider Diaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_poison
I liked this army for a few reasons. 1, I would probably be able to out-card my opponent, and 2, it had quite a bit of variety for such a small army.
I was trying to be very conscious of the number of cards I had in my army as well, but it turned out that it really didn't make much of a difference.

I think most of us were expecting Q-9 or Nilf or Braxis + Lots-o-Deathreavers in this event...and I didn't really see much of that.

Great report Spider.....you have motivated me to do the same!
Old August 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM

Teamski is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal
Great Report 1st off,

Thanks so much, for those of us who didn't make it , but dream of going next year.

I like the zombies and would not have thought of picking them for the tourney, you did great with them. I am really suprised how many non-ranged or limited # of ranged unit armies there where, you faced a few, which is a big plus for you. I think a 4th Mass. army with Raelin behind them would be tough on the zombies, depends on the board though,and glyphs.

Great report.
I think ranged units have limited appeal on smaller tourney maps, from what I see. Melee closes in quick.

Thanks for the great report!! It was really informative!

-Ski
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Well, he chose zombies for the Heat of Battle event, because you get to place your figures wherever you want, taking turns placing cards. I imagine many people played with predominantly melee armies in that tourney. Half of the challenge when using Zombies is closing the distance with their puny 4 movement. I'm surprised that Spider didn't come across any Drones.

I'd like to hear how your other matches went in the other events, as well as hearing from some of the other people that went to GenCon. If I'm still half as into HS in 8 months as I am now, I'll definitely sign up next year.

Edit:

Definitely sounds like you had a tough schedule on the first day. Was that done purposefully?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thanks for posting this Spider, I was waiting for someone to put up they're battle reports from GenCon. I always enjoy reading great Heroscape battles.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:56 AM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
I'm surprised that Spider didn't come across any Drones.
Ah, now I remember. That was the game three I couldn't think of. It was against 8X Drones. It was a pretty good matchup for me as long as my opponent didn't consistently get high D-20 rolls. I don't have much to say about this game other than that my Zombies matched up very well against the Drone horde. My two attack (three because of glyph for most of the game) was plenty to do the job. There's not much to say about this battle other than Zombies eat Drones for breakfast in this format. I probably had more Zombies die in this game than any other, but Drones were good target for the Rise Again ability. Anyhow, I'll post some more GenCon goodness tomorrow.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports