Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Old August 27th, 2008, 06:53 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Lonewolf's Gencon Battle Reports (2008/2010)

Lonewolf's Gencon Battle Reports ( 2008 ):
Wow, my son and I both had a great time in all of the tournaments at the Gencon. As always we have a great community and that makes the whole
experience better. I like to tell people that Heroscape has a lower 'freak' factor than other games at Gencon. Of course the 'geek' factor is the
same, because we are all geeks!

Overall for the weekend I went 20-4 in 5 events. I bailed out of the Heat of Battle event after a mentally draining second day of the main event and 2nd place finish.

On to battle reports.....

General Wars (Vydar)

I'm starting with the General Wars since it was the first event that I played in. We didn't really play test for this tournament, so I just figured I'd bring my old faithful trons to this event.
4x Gladiatrons + 2 Blastatrons. I love to add Raelin to this build, but couldn't since she sides with Jandar!

Game # 1 (Matrix Renegade) 2xOmnicron Snipers + Zetacron + 2 4th Mass + Tarn Viking Warriors
The first game of Gencon, and I have to play M.R. He is about tired of seeing my Glad/Blast army. Last year we had a matchup in the main event and we were both 3-0 heading in to that match. The trons got the best of him last year too. We play on the Mole Hills Jungle edition map and MR sends his Omnicron out to get height and start picking off my Glads. I get Raelin in a good position near a tree and on height and start the attack with my Glad/Blasts. I was able to take advantage of the jungle trees a lot during this game and it made it hard for MR to take out too many Gladiatrons before they were all engaged with his Omnicron. With their low defense, and some bad dice rolls from MR, the Omnicron fell pretty quickly. I was a little worried about Zetacron, but at worst he was going to be taking out one unit at a time. He actually feel pretty quickly to the swarm. After Zetacron was defeated, the Gladiatrons pressed hard toward MR's start zone and I was able to clean up the remaining units for a victory.
(1-0)

Game #2 (Cleon) Stingersx4 + Me-Burq-Sa + Marro Hive
A tough matchup with Cleon in the 2nd round. He is playing the Stingers which are pretty good at keeping the Glad/Blast army down. We played on the Fire Isles map. The defense glyph was on one side, so I made that the focus of my attacks. I was able to control the higher ground portion of the map by flooding the Gladiatrons to the side of the map where the defense glyph was. Cleon did notice that I only had two squads of Blastatrons and targeted them when he could. The down side of this strategy is that if you don't target the Gladiatrons, they will get to you quickly and tie you up making it impossible to target the remaining Blastatrons. This is exactly what happened in this match. Cleon played his army well, but the trons were just too much.
(2-0)

Game #3 (Clarissmus) Skahen, Laglor, Microcorp x2 and Otonashi
Both Clarissmus and I were 2-0 heading in to this match and we were both playing Vydar armies, so we were glad to be matched up against each other. We were playing on Ticalla Sunrise. I was reminded that one of the glyphs was the defense glyph....I still don't remember which one, but I guess that I was able to hold the glyph! I got my hoard up to the high ground right away and was able to roll at least two dice for my Blasts most of the game. Clarissmus got Laglor out near the center of the map, but I was able to tie him up with some Gladiatrons. He followed with Skahen and it took me a little longer, but I was able to tie her up with Gladiatrons as well. Even with Skahen's double attack, I was always able to get a Gladiatron on her every round, so the Gladiatrons always got the extra defense dice for melee defense. I think it was the second or third attack on Skahen when she whiffed and I was able to take her out. I had been using my third or fourth Blastatron to take attacks down on the Microcorp and I was able to eliminate most of them before they got in to the battle. The trons were a tough matchup for Clarrissmus' army. He would get revenge for this lopsided victory later in the main event.
(3-0)

Game #4 (T.L. - Utgar General Winner) Cyprien + Stingers + Reavers?
The matchup with TL in this event was definitely in my favor as he had Cyprien as one of the key figures in his army. Cyprien is just about useless against the trons, so that put him -150 pts from the start. That alone made this a pretty uneventful matchup and I was able to get a solid victory.
(4-0)

Game #5 (Spider Poison - Jandar General Winner) 5x 4th Mass + SOTM Drake
We played on the Ticalla Sunrise map and fortunately for me the Common Attack glyph was in play. SP was able to grab the glyph early on the game, but I was able to quickly relieve him of it. After that, the tables turned in my favor and I was rolling along nicely. The dice gods were not smiling on Joe early on in this event. However, things turned back in his favor when he was able to take out a total of 8 of my units in two order markers. Part of it was good dice and part of it was bad placement of a couple of my blastatrons. I could have placed them back one more space and made SP move his 4th Mass. Luckily this blunder didn't cost me the game. After I finished off the 4th Mass, I still had a very real problem with Drake because I didn't have any special attacks. I think I had 3 Gladiatrons and 5 Blastatrons vs Drake and it was a very close battle. If not for the common attack glyph, I would have surely lost this matchup. With the glyph, my Blastatrons were rolling 2 attack dice against an adjacent Drake. It took a while, but eventually I was able to take Drake out and win the match despite some bad moves on my part. SP like Clarissmus would get to see his revenge on me in the main event.
(5-0)

Vydar General Champion

Overall General Wars Champion

Jump Start

I didn't do any play testing for Jump Start because I really didn't have a stong like for this event. After playing in it, I must say that I enjoyed it a bit more than I thought I would. I figured everyone would be playing something similar to what I was playing, so I didn't think about my build much either. I figured that I need Deathreavers to tie up the DW9000 and keep anyone else from getting it. I then decided that I would try to focus on destroying my opponent instead of acquiring the DW. I figured that all of my opponents would have Deathreavers, so I took Q-9 to counter them. I had another 180 points of filler, so I took 3 Stingers and Isamu to round out the army. (Q-9 + 2x Deathreavers + 3x Stingers + Isamu)

Game # 1 (Cleon) Sujoah + 2xSpiders + Venoc Warlord + Zetacron
We played on Jungle Swamp Road. Cleon took the Venoc Warlord to speed up his already quick spiders. I think we were both a little confused about the rules at the start of this event, but we figured them out along the way. The map we were on actually helped me a little because even if I lost initiative, I could get a rat to the DW and not risk my opponent getting a quick jumpstart. Cleon won initiative and got his spiders to the DW on his first turn, however I was able to get my rats up before his next turn, so he couldn't take control. I kept most of the rats near the DW just in case he started to kill some I could scatter the others to the DW. Cleon got Sujoah up to on of the high points on the map, but I was able to engage him with one of my Deathreavers. He attacked the Reaver and failed, so I was able to scatter 2 more up to him and effectively tie him up. I moved the Stingers in behind the Rats and was able to work on taking on Sujoah while using any extra attacks to take out the Spiders. After Sujoah and most of the spiders were gone, Cleon got the Warlord moving. I was able to employ the same strategy of tying him up with the rats and shooting him down with the Stingers.
(1-0)

Game #2 (Kaharma) Q-9 + 2xDeathreavers + 3xStingers + Isamu
Kaharma was playing the same exact army that I had. We played on Turret rocks. Essentially this match was decided on the initiative roll. Things could have gone a little different if the dice went one way or the other, but they didn't. I won initiative and had all three order markers on my Deathreavers, assuring that I would secure the Astrid Glyph (+1 attack). I figured that Kaharma would counter by brining Q-9 up to keep my rats off of the glyph. Since I had the glyph, I brought up my Stingers. With 4 attack dice they were able to focus on attacking Q-9 and then use any spare attacks to off some of Kaharma's rats. Eventually I had able to clear off most of Kaharma's rats and with some thought out order marker placement, take control of the DW. Kahrma had gotten the last of my rats off of the attack glyph, so I put my first order marker on DW9000 and moved him on to the glyph and used his regular attack on Q-9 for 5 dice. I rolled 3 skulls and Kaharma only blocked 1, taking the last two life from Q-9. I used the buffed up Stingers to clean up Kaharmas remaining Stingers and finish the match.
(2-0)

Game #3 (Jexik) 3xGladiatrons + 2xBlastatrons + Raelin + Isamu
Jexik was playing the trons for this event. I can't remember how many of each he had. We played on the Little Ramparts map. This gave me a pretty decent advantage as his Blastatrons would more that likely not have a height advantage on me. I won initiative and this played huge role on the outcome of the match. I was able to get 3 Deathreavers on Jexik's side of the DW9000 and keep him from getting anyone next to it. Unfortunately I didn't have any more order markers on them, so I wasn't able to take control of the mighty Tron. Q-9 is a great counter to the Trons. His special attack works well against the Glads and his excellent range make it possible for him to shoot past the trons and take out support units like Raelin with his regular attack. My focus was to take out Raelin. I was able to do this after several rounds of shooting at her. I was finally in a position to try and get the DW9000, so I put an order marker on the rats and was able to Jumpstart him. I used his special attack on a cluster of 4 Blastatrons and luckily rolled 3 skulls, so they all perished without a roll. It was at this point in the game when I felt like I was going to have a chance at winning this event. I knew that I would more than likely with this match, but they were using point differential to determine the final winner of the event. I had only lost 3 rats and had added 140 points to my point differential by capturing DW9000. I put all of my order markers for the rest of the game on Q-9. He used his special attack to clear out the remaining Gladiatrons and Blastatrons. I ended up losing two more rats, and my final Point Differential for the event was +550. We were the first match finished, so I had to wait and see if this score would hold up with the other matches in progress. Ultimately it did and I was able to win this event!
(3-0)

Overall Jumpstart Champion

More events to follow...

Last edited by lonewolf; August 19th, 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness Clarissimus wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Lonewolf's Gencon Battle Reports (2008)

Quote:
I remember that neither one of the glyphs were important,
It was the defense glyph, and I spent pretty the whole game (which wasn't long) trying unsuccessfully to get you off it

I never lay awake at night wondering how to design an army that will help me win 40% of my games. -- Jexik

Do NOT click this link.
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM

scaper dude has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarissimus View Post
Quote:
I remember that neither one of the glyphs were important,
It was the defense glyph, and I spent pretty the whole game (which wasn't long) trying unsuccessfully to get you off it
Editing now!!!

(I have had the toughest time remembering my battles. Last year I remembered everything vividly.)

I used Scaper_dude's PC and forgot that he was logged in. I can't remember anything.

Son Of Lonewolf
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
Cleon played his army well, but the trons were just too much.
I love this line! . It was great playing you lonewolf (Same with you Clarrisimus), I learned a lot and you were my only loss. . I'll try to get every battle report up in my thread, it just may take awhile since I have school in a week.
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Great reporting, I wanted to write down everything about all the games and had pen and paper, but was just so overwhelmed by it all - being my first GC for HS ( i was there 27 years ago in Wi. but was there for AD&D mainly ).

I can't wait to read about the smack downs I received from you - and I can not wait to face you next year.

Please tell Slim Jim Hendal says hey and don't drink so many coffee drinks -he he. Your nephew was very funny - i enjoyed playing him in a game and helping him out a lot or trying to explain strategy to him or at least as much as I know of it, which isn't much I have come to find out after returning from my first GC ( at one point I was like, wait a minute I may be helping him to much it is getting close to a even match but then remember it was Slim Jim and I had to win it)

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM

Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby! Kaemon Awasome rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks for the report! I'm still waiting for more...
Old September 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Lonewolf's Gencon Battle Reports (2008) - Jumpstart Adde

I added the Jumpstart event to my battle reports.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Lonewolf's Gencon Battle Reports (2008) - Jumpstart Adde

Nice. Though I played:

Fyorlag Spiders x2
Venoc Warlord
Sujoah
Zetacron

It was fun playing you twice lonewolf. I hope to face you and your son again next year (maybe get some revenge on you ).
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Re: Lonewolf's Gencon Battle Reports (2008/2010)

General Wars (Jandar) - 2010

I was the General Wars overall champion in 2008 with Vydar(Trons) and wanted to try a new general this time.

I ended up going with:
5xKOW + Sir Gilbert + Johnny Shotgun

I was going to play 3xKOW + 2x4thMass + Johnny Shotgun and suicide Johnny, but MM talked me in to playing all knights. I liked this option because I could use Johnny to breakup any clumping armies like 10th/Romans or Gruts. I wouldn't have to kill Johnny off right away and the threat of his attack would be more important than him actually attacking. Throughout the five games, Johnny never got more than an ‘x’ placed on him.

Game # 1 (Fish_Tako) 3xSacred Band + 2x10th + Kaemon Awa + Marcus
Map: Invasion Glyphs: Move/Defense

FT got Marcus and the SB moving on first couple OM’s, however he left Marcus on the road with only 1 SB nearby. He was posturing for his 10th, but unfortunately I rolled 3 symbols on my second move of the KOW and was able to engage 3 on Marcus. It took a couple OM’s, but Marcus eventually fell. During this time I was busy securing both the move and defense glyph. By the time FT got some order markers on the 10th, they were firing uphill at the KOW who were adjacent to trees and having the benefit of the defense glyph. The knights were just too much and eventually rolled in to FT’s start zone and finished off the last of the 10th. Kaemon had a brief assault on the knights, but fell to multiple attacks. I think that FT was really surprised how fast the KOW were able to get engaged with Marcus. (1-0)

Game #2 (phrost) 4xDwarves + Migol + Mogrimm
Map: Midnight Lagoon Glyphs: Move/Initiative

As this was all melee, we both just sent our armies towards the center of the map. Phrost put Mogrimm out first and was able to successfully use commander’s strike on me. It seemed like I missed my first 4-5 defense rolls and phrost had taken control of the center of the map as well as the initiative glyph. I had managed to secure the move glyph and phrost hadn’t bothered to go to that side of the map. This helped me to get the next wave of KOW up to height and start brawling with the dwarves. It went back and forth, but eventually the knights held up. I ended with Gilbert + 6 knights at the end. (And Johnny) Mark was a great sport and a lot of fun to play against. He had a great way of acting out the big attacks as they happened in the game. (2-0)

Game#3 (Jexik) 6x4th Mass + Drake (SOTM)
Map: Elswin Plateau Glyphs: Defense/Healer

Jexik already wrote his battle report and I generally agree with everything he said. I kept the knights hugging the trees and was eventually able to put Gilbert on the defense glyph with the healer nearby. I made sure not to over commit the knights and was able to send in one or two at a time to taunt the 4th without making WTF an effective choice. The map/matchup/glyphs all made it very hard for Jexik to win this match. If he could have played anything better, I think that he made a poor choice as to when to go for the glyphs. We were both posturing 3-6 spaces away from the glyphs and the high ground. I knew that he would WTF me to pieces if I charged in to get the glyphs. He knew that I would have height advantage and be attacking down if he tried to grab the glyphs. He finally got in a position where he could put 1 Mass on the defense glyph and then form a wall on the other side of him to prevent me from getting to attack down on that one. Unfortunately, timing was the real issue. Jexik had won initiative and then made this move on OM3, leaving the opportunity for me to get 2 consecutive turns. That is exactly what happened. Knowing that I had a chance at 2 turns, I went ahead and committed Gilbert up to get the extra attack for the knights. I think I got 2 on the first OM and then swarmed the other 2 on OM1 after winning initiative. The next OM saw Gilbert on the defense glyph and then it was a methodical process of pushing forward and eliminating the 4th on the way. We went to time, but the outcome of this game wasn’t really in question after the defense glyph was secured by Gilbert. (3-0)

Game #4 (theGuru) 2xKOW + AE + Raelin + Finn + Denrick
Map: Fissure Glyphs: NA

I joked with theGuru when we saw the matchup…I had given him his ticket to this event because I had an extra and I told him he had to take a fall if we were matched up. I was kidding of course, but we did get matched up. I had never had the opportunity to play against theGuru, so this was an exciting match for me. To be honest, after sitting down at the table, I felt like this was going to be a good matchup for me. I had lots of knights to throw at the heros and figured that I could keep hammering away at them and get a win. I was wrong. The AE didn’t drop the first round, so we both spent that time posturing towards the middle of the map. This would have been the perfect time for me to make sure that I had knights covering the high ground on the sides of the map. The AE dropped the second round and I had not done a good job of protecting the high ground on one side, leaving some great opportunities for the theGuru to shoot down on my KOW. I was finally able to get up to the height by using Jandar’s dispatch to cross the water in one turn and take out two of the AE. With only 2 left, I figured that theGuru wouldn’t put any more OM’s on them. I was able to take out Raelin and Finn, but not without sustaining some serious losses. It came down to Gilbert and 6-7 knights against Denrick. Denrick fought like a champ and with Finn’s spirit was taking down Knights left and right. He even took out Gilbert with a powerful swipe. I couldn’t get a hit on him for anything. After attacking over and over again I was finally able to take Denrick out with only 3 knights remaining. Johnny almost got some use this game! It was easily the closest game of this event for me. TheGuru played well and his army was up to the task! (4-0)

Game #5 (Sarah - SW Ninja’s significant other) 3x4th Mass + Raelin + 2xSentinels of Jandar
Map: Fossil Glyphs: Move/Defense

I was a little worried about this matchup as the Sentinels can be downright impossible to take out if they are rolling well. The glyphs definitely helped me out in this one. I was little surprised that Sarah moved the 4th out first. I figured that she might shield with the Sentinels, much like I have seen Rev do with a similar build. She did get an early OM on Raelin and perched her on some high ground on her side of the map. I didn’t have any jungle trees to hide next to on this map, but I did have some roads and a move glyph to help me close the distance and minimize the losses to the 4th. I was able to take out a couple of the 4th and had an opportunity to engage Gilbert to Raelin while still hiding him behind a tree to protect from ranged attacks. I started attacking Raelin, but then later stopped when she was almost dead, because I didn’t want to give the 4th any extra defense until I had thinned out their numbers more. When there were 4 or so 4th left, Sarah put an OM on Raelin to disengage and get her back close to the Sentinels and make them even harder to take out. Fortunately I was able to swarm up on Rae and take her out on my next OM. This left me with the unenviable task of attacking the sentinels. Sarah whiffed on a couple defense rolls early on, but then got some good attack dice and took out all of my knights on that side of the map. My only option at that point was to disengage Gilbert and have him run back to my side of the map to bring up more reinforcements. I didn’t get hit with the passing swipe and since I had the move glyph, I was able to get back near the middle of the map quickly. At this point Sarah had 4 sentinels left and I had 3 full squads of knights and Gilbert. We ended up meeting near the move glyph for our final battle. Several knights were killed, but eventually the knights were able to break through and kill off the last 4 sentinels.

(5-0) Jandar Champion / Overall Champion

Overall I really felt like the glyphs helped me out a lot during the 5 games, having the move glyph show up on 3 and the defense glyph on 3 as well. Throw in some jungle trees and knights are hard to take out. They were a ton of fun to play and MM has almost converted me over to the 'dark' side.

Last edited by lonewolf; July 5th, 2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Heat of the Battle - 2010

We had done a lot of play testing with the Heavy Gruts for the main event, so I felt like they would be a good play in this event. Up to 6 attacks per turn and the ability to disengage all seemed like good reasons to play the Heavies. The build fit nicely into the 400 pts for HOB as well. The only play testing we did for this event was placement. We placed a least 10 or so times to make sure that we had a good feel for the process.

4xHeavies + Grimnak

Game #1 (Killer Cactus) 5x4th Mass + Eldgrimm + Kyntela
Map: Fissure Glyph: Move +2

I think that the 4th were a good play for this event and had even considered playing the same build myself. I got several breaks in this game, some in my favor and some the other way. I won both the placement roll and the initiative roll. Even with those, there were going to be places on the map where KC was going to have high ground. I was able to limit those by taking the high ground on the edges of the map, but this meant conceding the high points in the middle of the map. KC could have gotten 4-5 4th Mass on the high ground on the sides and only 1 per spot on the high ground in the middle, so I think that it was the right strategy. On my first OM, I moved Grimnak next to one of the high ground 4th and chomped and then attack another unsuccessfully. Moved some Heavies adjacent and took advantage of any attacks from high ground that I might have had on the map. I killed a couple more 4th. Then something BAD happened. KC took shots with his 4th at Grimnak. First roll 2 skulls. Grimnak – whiff! 2nd roll, 2 skulls – Grimnak – Whiff! 3rd roll, 2 skulls, Grimnak – Whiff! Grimnak got punked! Any advantages that I might have had by winning initiative were now gone with Grimnak…my main force. I felt like I wouldn’t be winning the match at this time, but I felt like if I played well and got some breaks, who knows? I made the decision to attack up at his 4th Mass that were on the 4 or 5 high ground spots instead of attacking even ground. If I was able to knock him off the high ground he would have to move to get new guys back on it. I was able to take out a couple a turn using this strategy, but what really turned the game was my defense dice. On a consistent basis KC was rolling 2 skulls on his attacks, but every time he did, I would roll 2 shields. I’m sure it was maddening for him, because it kept happening over and over again. A couple rounds of that happening and I am finishing the last few Mass off with 6-7 Heavies left at the end of the game. I definitely had some bad luck with Grimnak, but more than made up for it with defense dice for the Heavies. (1-0)

Game #2 (Fomox) 4xRomans + Mogrimm + MBS
Map: Fossil Glyphs :Initiative ??

I really like Grimnak in the matchup with the Roman because he can strategically chomp the right Roman to weaken their defenses and make for easier attack with the Heavies. Taking out MBS was key to me, as he was the only one who could attack Grimnak from range. I won the placement roll on this one and was able to secure the high ground in the middle and Fomox got most of the high ground near the edges. I was determined to take out MBS, so I immediately moved Grimnak near MBS to get rid of the Romans surrounding him. I was able to get rid of a couple of them, but ended up with my Grimnak stuck at one side of the map and he really wasn’t doing a lot. The Heavies meanwhile were doing the lion’s share of the work by taking advantage of all height advantage situations and engaging MBS and keeping him from attacking Grimnak. It took a couple rounds of attacking MBS, but he eventually fell. Fomox forgot to take a turn with Mogrimm on the next OM, so that hurt him a little. I ended up getting Grimnak near Mogrimm and was able to chomp him down. The Romans were pretty thinned out at this point and the end game went pretty quickly. . (2-0)

Game #3 (Weesel) 6xNagrubs + Tor-Kul-Na
Map: Fossil Glyphs: Move+2, Initiative.

My old nemesis Tor-Kul-Na, sitting on a road map with a move glyph available. What do you think happened? I got rolled. I thought I did a better job of countering TKN than I had in the past, but my strategy was weak at best. I made a critical mistake of putting Grimnak near TKN. (Don’t do this!). I put a Heavy in front of him and used the 4 attack to do 1 wound, only to get trampled and then see Grimnak take 3 quick wounds. I disengaged Grimnak on the next OM and tried to set up a defense where TKN would have to disengage at least two times to get to Grimnak. Guess what, he did, taking 1 wound and then putting the dinosaur out of his misery. The next few rounds saw TKN wipe up my Heavies while I took feeble attacks at his 5 defense. I killed some Nagrubs along the way, but that wasn’t going to win me the game. Then it happened! Weesel had TKN with 1 wound and 4-5 Nagrubs. I had 4-5 Heavies. I was able to get 3 of the Heavies adjacent to TKN, but 1 would be attacking up. I thought I might as well attack him and take a shot. I had two even ground attacks and 1 up attack against a 5 defense TKN with 1 wound. I rolled 2-3 skulls on each roll and TKN whiffed just enough to die. That was the most amazing luck that I have ever had in Heroscape. The end game was equally exciting, coming down to 2 heavies and 1 Nagrub. Finally I took out the last Nagrub. (3-0)

Game #4 (Vydar Forever?) 4xRomans, MBS, Kaemon Awa, Isamu, Marcu
Map: Elswin Plateau Glyphs: Healer, Move +2

VF had gone 3-0 with his army and he definitely knew how to play it well. I ended up taking the high ground opposite the glyphs and VF set up around the glyphs. He kept almost all his Romans together at that side of the map along with his heroes. When the game started, I had to charge my Heavies down to the glyph area and get to work breaking down the Romans. It took a couple turns, but I was able to create holes by chomping and then getting Heavies in to open up bigger holes. This strategy works great against the Romans. I was able to get to MBS and take him out with a couple 4D attacks. Kaemon put up a good fight near the glyphs and killed a couple Heavies with counter strike, but eventually had to flee the high ground to avoid the swarm. VF placed him far enough away that I couldn’t reach him with any of my Heavies. But he made a critical mistake, he forgot about the move glyph. I was able to get my first Heavy on the glyph and then ran three more adjacent to Kaemon and took him out. A little clean up with Marcu and Isamu and the game was over. I ended up with 2 squads of Heavies + Grimnak. (4-0)

Game #5 (Tiny Timmy) 4xDwarves + Mogrimm
Map: Elswin Plateau Glyphs: Healer, Wound.

This was a great match against TT. I ended up taking the high ground opposite the glyphs and TT had setup most of his dwarves around the Glyphs, Mogrimm was on the height on my side with 4-5 dwarves. We went back and forth on the height and I was able to get 3 wounds on Mogrimm. Then I made big mistake. He disengaged Mogrimm and headed towards the rest of his troops. I figured that he was just reestablishing his position with Mogrimm near the remaining dwarves, so I ignored this flee and finished off the remaining dwarves on my side of the map. The next OM, Mogrimm got to the Healer glyph and I felt pretty dumb. I could have engaged him with a couple guys and at least had a shot of killing him sooner. We posture for an OM and then I head in to the fray from the high ground to lay assault on the remaining dwarves guarding the glyphs. By this time Grimnak already had 3 wounds and I did my best to protect him from any more attacks. The game stayed very even and in the end, I had 2 Heavies and Grimnak with 2 life left and TT had Mogrimm with 3 life and 2 dwarves left. Initiative roll next. At least I thought so?

We had a little awkward situation at the end. We both picked up our D20 and I said ‘rolling initiative’ and TT said ‘rolling wound glyph’. I forgot about the wound glyph, so I assumed that we were both rolling initiative. The rolls were simultaneous. TT got the roll on the wound, so I put the wound on Grimnak. Here is where it got awkward. I wanted to keep the initiative roll that I had just rolled. TT felt like I should have to reroll it since he wasn’t rolling initiative at the same time. I felt like I should be able to keep it since I announced that I was rolling initiative when I rolled it. Awkward. TT ended up letting me keep my roll, a 17, and then lost initiative. It got worse because Grimnak chomped 1 dwarf and then killed the other one with his attack. The two heavies attacked Mogrimm and he whiffed his defense roll and it was done. I felt really bad afterwards. The game really came down to that initiative roll. After reflecting on the game later, I came to the conclusion that I let my competitiveness get the best of me at that moment. Not that TT was right or I was wrong, but that I should have just rerolled the D20 to be a good sport and I didn’t. I blew it. The good news is that I learned my lesson and I won’t let that happen again regardless of the circumstances. TT was a great sport even though there was some awkward timing on the initiative roll at the end. I gave him the custom dice that I won for being such a good sport. I knew that he really wanted them and it seemed like the right thing to do given the circumstances.

(5-0) Overall Champion

This entire tournament was a roller coaster, from losing Grimnak after 1 order marker in the first game to the amazing come back against TKN. Quite an exciting tournament indeed!

Someone already posted this, but I completely agree that the rules should be modified to be that if you win the D20 roll at the start you should be able to choose if you want to place first or get initiative first. When someone wins both rolls it really gives them too much of an advantage. This would help balance this event a little more.

Last edited by lonewolf; August 29th, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nice report and congratulations on your wins!
Old August 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Great reports!

Yeah - it was a bit maddening to not make a dent in your Heavy squads with continuous rolls of 2 skulls, but those are the dice. Those same dice helped me out later in the tournament.

You were behind early in that game and knew you needed to take some risks to get back in the game, and they paid off for you. Those little things are the reason you keep winning tournaments at GenCon, and I keep finishing 4th or in the Top 16.

(well that, and the fact that I play stupid units like Venoc Vipers... )

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports