Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games
Other Games Board, Card, Video, etc.

Old February 28th, 2011, 01:17 PM
#1 CoN Player & Charos Cultist innocently oiling another man

Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun Ranior is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: 4th Edition D&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
What would you say is the min, max and ideal number of players for a 4e party?
The system implies five, since a solo monster is good for five characters of the monster's level. Any fewer than three will likely lack the diversity of roles needed. Any more than seven probably slows down the game.
This fall semester at UW Madison some guys started up a DnD club. We had three guys and a DM the first time--that's a little rough but it can be done. Leave out the controller role and you can do it, but I'd say you really should aim for four.

We've gained a lot of members. One week we had 9 characters in the 4e game. NEVER AGAIN. Terrible, you can hardly get to your turns, and the monsters hardly can get enough attacks if they are a solo, and if it is a swarm they can gang up on one guy and largely take him out in a turn.

Right now we're at seven which is fine though. So really I agree with what the above says, but figured I may as well try and give my insight as well.

Ranior is DJ Khosumet the current and hopefully future Dark Lord...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old February 28th, 2011, 09:09 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness

One PC is doable if the adventure is designed to be for solo characters. Two can also work, but again, it requires more work on the DMs part. Three can start to work pretty well, though the players have to be careful to cover for the role they're missing. Four through six is the preferred range, and above that, it's just a matter of how many players you want to fit around a table.
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Baron of Beantown IV

Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby!

I'm toying with 6-7 players, but didn't want too many, for fear of changing group dynamics in a negative way, and and in terms of making encounters overly time consuming. I don't like excessive player downtime.

Good trades: Hogg, Grimfang, Onacara, Sleightofhand, 'Scaper94, orec, Snappleman, R˙chean, lefton4ya, odbo255
Old February 28th, 2011, 10:27 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would say that six would be a good number, and seven or more would probably be pushing it. I'm a fan of small groups in general though; I like the small-group dynamic in which everyone must pull their own weight. I also feel it fosters effective roleplay if there are so few people that side conversations can't really occur.
Old February 28th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Baron of Beantown IV

Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby! Pilgrim rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz View Post
I would say that six would be a good number, and seven or more would probably be pushing it. I'm a fan of small groups in general though; I like the small-group dynamic in which everyone must pull their own weight. I also feel it fosters effective roleplay if there are so few people that side conversations can't really occur.
Very helpful! Thank you. Never thought of the dynamic of side conversations.

Good trades: Hogg, Grimfang, Onacara, Sleightofhand, 'Scaper94, orec, Snappleman, R˙chean, lefton4ya, odbo255
Old June 20th, 2011, 07:01 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

Hi, I'm the DM of my very own adventure. While I have the basic structure of the game worked out, the game is moving along very slowly. Particularly in the battle sections. I believe it may be my fault, so what tricks and shortcuts can I use to speed up the rounds? Currently, I have index cards of all the players, so I can quickly reference their defences and passives. I'm using a dry erase board to keep track of Initiative order, and monster HP. I have a graphing notebook for my maps, but I do not have an actual map for the players to play on. It's going on inside the imagination through discription. I have dungeon tiles, but not enough to make the maps I want, at least not to proper scale.
Old June 20th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

4E D&D combat takes longer than earlier editions, simply because everyone has more HP. I would use more minions. Also, make unintelligent monsters (hippogriffs, etc., run away when bloodied). Most predators won't fight to the death, anyway.

Old June 21st, 2011, 01:01 AM
Old and Boring

Also, if you have the MM3, the monsters there deal more damage and have less health, thus making combat shorter. I suggest using those when in doubt.
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:45 AM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzie Fuzz View Post
Also, if you have the MM3, the monsters there deal more damage and have less health, thus making combat shorter. I suggest using those when in doubt.
I think only the solos have reduced HP in MM3 (and the Monster Vaults). The damage is definitely higher and some of the defense numbers have come down for solos and elite I believe. Also, brutes are now more accurate and soliders less so (both now follows the level +5 model for attack numbers).

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games