Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old November 20th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Watched Restrepo tonight on Netflix. Pretty sobering.
not 100% certain but part of that movie takes place on the same mountain my brother earned his Bronze Star with Valor. I have yet to watch it, just what I've heard.

I hadn't heard of Hyena Road yet.
It's a documentary following a unit in the Korengal Valley.

The trailer below has some adult language.

I hadn't heard of Hyena Road until a friend mentioned it. It's not a documentary, but a Canadian movie about a Canadian sniper team and intelligence unit in Afghanistan. Deals with a lot of the intricacies of trying to get a road built to allow more revenue for the locals, but the civilian workers keep getting attacked and killed. So the intelligence officer is trying to figure out a way to get the local leaders and elders to help them out. But there is a lot of intricate codes and tribal stuff that can get in the way. Interesting take on how some things are more difficult than they seem.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old November 21st, 2016, 09:55 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
not 100% certain but part of that movie takes place on the same mountain my brother earned his Bronze Star with Valor. I have yet to watch it, just what I've heard.

I hadn't heard of Hyena Road until a friend mentioned it. It's not a documentary, but a Canadian movie about a Canadian sniper team and intelligence unit in Afghanistan. Deals with a lot of the intricacies of trying to get a road built to allow more revenue for the locals, but the civilian workers keep getting attacked and killed. So the intelligence officer is trying to figure out a way to get the local leaders and elders to help them out. But there is a lot of intricate codes and tribal stuff that can get in the way. Interesting take on how some things are more difficult than they seem.
Yeah I knew of Restrepo I just haven't watched it yet. My brother was in the 101st also in the Korengal Valley. I've been waiting for the family to "heal" a bit more before we watched it. My brother is just starting to get things back together after his ordeal 5 or so years ago. Three Purple Hearts and the Star in his 9 months over there.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old November 21st, 2016, 10:20 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I knew of Restrepo I just haven't watched it yet. My brother was in the 101st also in the Korengal Valley. I've been waiting for the family to "heal" a bit more before we watched it. My brother is just starting to get things back together after his ordeal 5 or so years ago. Three Purple Hearts and the Star in his 9 months over there.
Yeah Japes, if people watch this, or another one I just started watching called The Battle of Marjah last night, a documentary with Marines, they will have a better idea of what those soldiers and Marines went through and are still going through and have more empathy.

Sorry about your brother, I can't imagine what he's been dealing with. Hopefully time will heal, though maybe Restrepo would be too much. Thank him for his service for me pleas.

Old November 25th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Prickly Cactus

Watched "The 6th Sense" tonight with my family. I haven't seen it since it first came out. Great movie and for some reason this time, I had some dust get in my eyes. Maybe being older and thinking differently caused the dust

Old November 25th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Awww.

What did your daughters think?

I still cannot believe it never got spoiled for me considering I watched it like 6 years after it came out. Still makes me bitter when folks like radio hosts spoil it and say "it's OK because the movie is so old", well some people may not have been too young to see it then.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old November 25th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Prickly Cactus

My girls liked it, though the emotional tie-in wasn't as much as it was for me. Things have more meaning when you get older and have a family. Maybe not for everyone, but for sure with me.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot to mention that I saw Hacksaw Ridge on Wednesday. Great movie!

Old November 26th, 2016, 12:09 AM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Watched Fantastic Beasts (written by J. K. Rowling) and I'll have to say I liked it a lot. I stopped liking superhero movies as much as I used to because they started to get a little formulaic and have antiheroes that are hard to like, but I liked that this movie had a very unique pacing and I have never seen such an adorkable hero before. it was a nice change from all the fast-pace action with jerk-ass heroes as of late.
Yes, Scamander came off as a bit of a doofus; a very Hagrid-like attitude toward his creatures.

The American version of the DMLE comes off as a bunch of dogwhistles*, though, with all the regulations about interactions with the non-magical community.

One stylistic aspect of the movie that I didn't like is the way that the producer washed out all of the exterior shots; it felt like a heavy-handed way to imply that the 'no-maj' world was incomplete, a 'lesser' world.

*Dogwhistle: Someone so tight-assed that, when they fart, only dogs can hear them.
Old December 4th, 2016, 12:27 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Watched Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child on Netflix last night. That was a real cool documentary. The script was all Hendrix's own words from letters and interviews interspersed with live footage and all kinds of pictures. I've never really seriously looked into his history. This was an intimate look at the man that almost single handedly defined modern guitar music and playing. Some of the letters were letters from Jimi to his father. I don't know how much of the letters were this way, but it all carried that same tone and voice. I would love to be able to see him play.
Old December 9th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Watched Arrival tonight, the Amy Adams sic-fi movie from the guy who made Enemy. I liked the first half and the idea of trying to communicate with aliens, but I thought the movie's final revelation was kind of stupid. Certainly be interested in others' thoughts. :\

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 10th, 2016, 10:14 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Watched Hateful Eight last night while battling an icky stomach flu.
My third time viewing this film. I saw it last year during its 70 mm roadshow. The film is very Carpenter's The Thing-ish with an equally excellent soundtrack that I understand has unused compositions from that 80s film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Watched Jimi Hendrix: Voodoo Child on Netflix last night. That was a real cool documentary. The script was all Hendrix's own words from letters and interviews interspersed with live footage and all kinds of pictures. I've never really seriously looked into his history. This was an intimate look at the man that almost single handedly defined modern guitar music and playing. Some of the letters were letters from Jimi to his father. I don't know how much of the letters were this way, but it all carried that same tone and voice. I would love to be able to see him play.
I'll need to check it out. Sounds cool!
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:45 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Just saw Rogue One. It is WAY better than I was expecting it to be. I definitely liked it better than Force Awakens, although it's difficult to compare Rogue One to a "saga" film because the only true force user in Rogue One is Vader. The battle sequences are fantastic. I could go on and on but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. And by the way, there are several scenes and lines of dialogue from the trailers that did not make it into the movie.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; December 16th, 2016 at 01:30 AM.
Old December 16th, 2016, 02:16 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I cant wait to see it. I love hearing that its good already. But hey im a star wars kind of guy.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies