Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

View Poll Results: Who will be the Champion and crowned 'Best 4 Species Army'?
A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar... 17 50.00%
Lamentation 2 5.88%
Incredibly Creative Army Name 12 35.29%
Should Have Been from Kinseth 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 18th, 2014, 07:01 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Competitive Army Challenge 3: Species Diversity (Due 12/

What, no doggins?
Old December 19th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Competitive Army Challenge 3: Species Diversity (Due 12/

No surprise, dragon + GSW + human fillers it is.

I almost went with Quahon+Spiders but the maps made me change my mind.

Old December 19th, 2014, 10:00 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Re: Competitive Challenge 3: (Final Four Voting Due 1/8)

OP Updated with armies and voting link. Remember that you can vote for whatever you like, however the criteria is supposed to be which 4 armies do you think will finish with the highest Win-Loss record against the other armies if they were playing against all of them on the given map set. Take your time on voting as some of these armies are only off by a few figures so take into account these subtle differences. (maps in the OP)

Click Here to Vote for the Final Four

Anyone can vote. Even if you did not submit an army for the challenge.

(The last day to vote will be 1/8 ). I made the voting time longer than usual due to the holidays. Also feel free to playtest some of these matchups (yours or otherwise) online.

1) Beastmasters
Arrow Gruts x3, Swog Rider x2, Mimring, Ice Troll Berserker, Raelin (SotM)

2) We Can Kill This Thing Together, Standing Strong Forever, Nothing’s Gonna Stomp Us Now
Maarden Nagrubs x3, Tor-Kul-Na, Fen Hydra, Krav Maga Agents

3) Blades/Claws/Fangs
Zombies of Morindan x2, Maarden Hounds x1, Ninjas of the Northern Wind, Elite Onyx Vipers, Kozuke Samurai, Isamu

4) A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar…
Roman Legionnaires x3, Mogrimm Forgehammer, Me-Burq-Sa, Cyprien Esenwein, Marro Warriors

5) Diversity of Utgar
Ornak, Brunak, Frost Giant of Morh, Mimring, Marcu Esenwein, Isamu

6) Monsters & Men
Ashigaru Harquebus x3, Ornak, Krug, Fen Hydra, Isamu

7) M.O.O.C Squad
Marro Stingers x2, Death Chasters of Thesk x2, Torin, Ogre Warhulk, Swog Rider x1

#8 Lamentation
Deathreavers x3, Greenscale Warriors x2, Nilfheim, Krav Maga Agents (sit two deathreavers)

9) C’MON, HIT ME
Marro Stingers x3, Torin, Fen Hydra, Zettian Guards, deathreavers x1

10) Death of Fresh Air
Death Knights of Valkrill x4, Dumutef Guard x4, Air Elemental x3, Krav Maga Agents

11) a Robot and his Beasts
Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Rider x1, Mimring, Krug, Major Q10

12) Gimme Your Soul
Shades of Bleakewoode x2, Kaemon Awa, Fen Hydra, Ne-Gok-Sa

13) Incredibly Creative Army Name
Deathreavers x3, Nilfheim, Fen Hydra, Krav Maga Agents

14) Come Eat at Q’s
Major Q9, Nakita Agents, Laglor, Black Wyrmling x4

15) The Green Arrow
Greenscale Warriors x2, Braxas, Syvarris, Ana Karithon

16) Rats in the Jungle
Deathreavers x3, Marro Stingers x2, Raelin (SotM), Sgt. Drake Alexander (SotM)

17) Stereotyped Arrow Gruts
Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Rider x2, Mimring, Krug, Raelin (SotM), Isamu

#18 Gorillas in the Mist
Gorillinators x2, Nakita Agents, Red Wyrmling x4, Warriors of Ashra x2, Otonashi

19) #justOPthings<3
Greenscale Warriors x2, Braxas, Krav Maga Agents, Heirloom, Isamu

20) Ready to Resubmit
Maarden Nagrubs x3, Tor-Kul-Na, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents

21) There Will Be War
Roman Legionnaires x2, Mogrimm Forgehammer, Ne-Gok-Sa, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents

22) Should Have Been From Kinseth
Greenscale Warriors x2, Nilfheim, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents

23) Spidergirl and her Disgusting Friends
Fyorlag Spiders x4, Wyvern x1, Estivara, Raelin (SotM), Drow Chainfighter x2, Marcu Esenwein

24) Relentless Frenzy
Death Knights of Valkrill x2, Air Elemental x2, Venoc Warlord, Sir Hawthorne, Aubrien Archers x2

25) Hairy and Ugly
Anubian Wolves x3, Dumutef Guard x4, Warden 816, Gurei-Oni, Otonashi

26) Monkey in the Middle
Goblin Cutters x4, Krug, Laglor, Krav Maga Agents (sit 1 goblin cutter)
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:27 AM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Votes are in!

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:57 AM

Not User Name knows what's in an order marker Not User Name knows what's in an order marker

I really like my army, but my morals are holding me back from voting for myself.
Old December 19th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not User Name View Post
I really like my army, but my morals are holding me back from voting for myself.
Screw morals, vote for my army!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old December 21st, 2014, 11:05 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Dysole and I played a game this evening with a couple of random armies that looked solid:

kevindola: A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar…
Dysole: We Can Kill This Thing Together, Standing Strong Forever, Nothing’s Gonna Stomp Us Now

Map: Desperado (no glyphs)

I opened up with Cyprien-Marro-Marro and Dysole developed the Krav, and the Hivelord. The Marros were able to get deep pinging the Hydra for 1 wound and killing 2 nagrubs.

Next round the Marros whiffed on their 4 heightened attacks, but Cyprien was able to hit Hydra for 2 more (3 total) and kill 1 of the Krav Maga. TKN blasted the vamp for 3 wounds though and 2 Marro Warriors were killed.

3rd Round and Cyprien in 3 attacks and 3 Chilling touches managed just 1 wound (killing the 2nd Krav Maga). In turn Tor-Kul-Na killed the vampire.

With only 1 Krav and a 1 life Hydra Dysole really just had his nagrubs and Hivelord to work with vs. the 12 Romans and their 2 Warlords. Torky missed a couple of key stomps and although it took a while the Romans and Forgehammer were able to overwhelm the Hivelord with the multiple attacks. (especially with Stomp either being blocked or missing)

Winner: A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar…

Claimed victory with a full health Forgehammer, 1 life Me-Burq-Sa, 8 Romans vs. 1 Krav, 1 life Hydra, 3 Nagrubs.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 11:38 AM

Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness Unhinged Manchild wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Haha, I love the army name "A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar…"

Sorry I couldn't participate, I've been stressed with work+holidays+flu+my battle thread. I felt that this challenge required too much thinking and planning (all ten minutes that I probably could have done it in,) but of course that's just me. I'll vote if I'm allowed, and I'll see how this deal unfolds. Good luck to you guys!
Old December 22nd, 2014, 01:21 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

*sheesh*

That's a bunch of great entries. Glancing over that list, I only see 4-5 armies I feel are significantly below the mean. What are you supposed to do when you think half or more of the entries tends to emerge victorious against any of the others if played by a better player or when receiving better RNG in a game between two equally matched players?

~Aldin, wafflingly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old December 22nd, 2014, 03:07 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindola View Post
1) Beastmasters
Arrow Gruts x3, Swog Rider x2, Mimring, Ice Troll Berserker, Raelin (SotM)
Swog x2 is just not a ton to work with. On Fossil or Road Rampage, against melee, this could be effective, but in other maps/matchups I think the swogs are down too quickly.

Quote:
2) We Can Kill This Thing Together, Standing Strong Forever, Nothing’s Gonna Stomp Us Now
Maarden Nagrubs x3, Tor-Kul-Na, Fen Hydra, Krav Maga Agents
I love me some stompy. This one hates Cyprien or black wyrms, but the map set works out pretty nicely overall. Fen Hydra makes for a nice broom to sweep away what Krav and Stompy cannot.

Quote:
3) Blades/Claws/Fangs
Zombies of Morindan x2, Maarden Hounds x1, Ninjas of the Northern Wind, Elite Onyx Vipers, Kozuke Samurai, Isamu
Lacks focus. 1x Hounds and EOVs are only useful in some niche situations, and 2x zombies is just not enough to consistently get your rise action with.

Quote:
4) A Vampire, A Dwarf, and a Marro Warlord Walk into a Bar…
Roman Legionnaires x3, Mogrimm Forgehammer, Me-Burq-Sa, Cyprien Esenwein, Marro Warriors
All-around solid. Given the tournament metagame, Cyprien is probably the right call over Q10. Will struggle against the rat armies but not much else.

Quote:
5) Diversity of Utgar
Ornak, Brunak, Frost Giant of Morh, Mimring, Marcu Esenwein, Isamu
I have a soft spot for Ornak builds, but in a squad-heavy meta, these guys could really use some rats or Blades/Heavies or something else to screen and to give distributed attacks.

Quote:
6) Monsters & Men
Ashigaru Harquebus x3, Ornak, Krug, Fen Hydra, Isamu
... or instead of blades or rats, try Harqs? Pretty creative design, I like it. Harqs are fairly matchup dependent but with the right draw this could be quite strong.

Quote:
7) M.O.O.C Squad
Marro Stingers x2, Death Chasters of Thesk x2, Torin, Ogre Warhulk, Swog Rider x1
Hard to go wrong with Stingers and Deathchasers, but Torin is going to be really hard to use effectively. Torin and Swog could have been turned into a bunch of other things - a third squad of Stingers/Chasers and Heirloom would have been stronger, IMO.

Quote:
#8 Lamentation
Deathreavers x3, Greenscale Warriors x2, Nilfheim, Krav Maga Agents (sit two deathreavers)
A defensive juggernaut; if you don't have a way to get past the multiple screens you will get picked apart. If you do, this one is a touch short on offense, but still quite strong.

Quote:
9) C’MON, HIT ME
Marro Stingers x3, Torin, Fen Hydra, Zettian Guards, deathreavers x1
Now this is an effective use of Torin. Still, there are plenty of SAs and melee in this pool. But 3 squads of stingers is never bad.

Quote:
10) Death of Fresh Air
Death Knights of Valkrill x4, Dumutef Guard x4, Air Elemental x3, Krav Maga Agents
Solid DK army, especially if played carefully to screen for the Krav. Still, Death Knights cost too much.

Quote:
11) a Robot and his Beasts
Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Rider x1, Mimring, Krug, Major Q10
With just 1 swog rider to boost them, the AGs are basically just a bonding hub for Mimring and Krug. Still, Mimring/Krug/Q10 ain't nothing.

Quote:
12) Gimme Your Soul
Shades of Bleakewoode x2, Kaemon Awa, Fen Hydra, Ne-Gok-Sa
Kaemon and Fen can wreck stuff for sure, but at the end of the day this army will be crossing its fingers and hoping for a hot d20.

Quote:
13) Incredibly Creative Army Name
Deathreavers x3, Nilfheim, Fen Hydra, Krav Maga Agents
Pretty much a standard nasty ratpodge - you can't really tell this was made for a special army challenge.

Quote:
14) Come Eat at Q’s
Major Q9, Nakita Agents, Laglor, Black Wyrmling x4
High distance pings will be strong, but once the gap is closed the wyrms and Nakitas will fall. Still, Q9 will win some games by himself, because Q9.

Quote:
15) The Green Arrow
Greenscale Warriors x2, Braxas, Syvarris, Ana Karithon
Interesting army. I think OM management will be a little bit tricky. If Syvarris reels them in and Braxas gasses them, it could do some serious damage. Majors and Dragons will be an issue though.

Quote:
16) Rats in the Jungle
Deathreavers x3, Marro Stingers x2, Raelin (SotM), Sgt. Drake Alexander (SotM)
Rats and stingers, even with nerfed Raelin, is never bad. Drake is not the best choice for a big hitter here but in some games he won't even be called upon.

Quote:
17) Stereotyped Arrow Gruts
Arrow Gruts x2, Swog Rider x2, Mimring, Krug, Raelin (SotM), Isamu
I agree with the title; this is pretty standard AGs. Only two swogs is a weakness, though.

Quote:
#18 Gorillas in the Mist
Gorillinators x2, Nakita Agents, Red Wyrmling x4, Warriors of Ashra x2, Otonashi
Pretty matchup dependent. If your opponent has lots of commons and no special attacks, this army is very strong. Against ranged specials, it's going to melt pretty fast.

Quote:
19) #justOPthings<3
Greenscale Warriors x2, Braxas, Krav Maga Agents, Heirloom, Isamu
A stronger variant of long range + Braxas/Greenscale build. Armies that have the ability to close the gap quickly will be an issue, but many won't.

Quote:
20) Ready to Resubmit
Maarden Nagrubs x3, Tor-Kul-Na, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents
As a slightly nerfed version of my 2011 main event build, this one hits the right notes for me. It's an army that makes a lot of sense, and it's a good map pool for it too. Some of the strongest armies here probably outclass it slightly though.

Quote:
21) There Will Be War
Roman Legionnaires x2, Mogrimm Forgehammer, Ne-Gok-Sa, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents
Quite strong pod variant for Romans. Definitely depends on getting your opponent to come to you and fight in Raelin's aura, but if the krav make it to midgame it will do well.

Quote:
22) Should Have Been From Kinseth
Greenscale Warriors x2, Nilfheim, Raelin (SotM), Krav Maga Agents
Actually pretty similar to the army above, only with Nilf and Greenscales as the screen/attack-when-they-get close combo instead of the Romans. This is stronger though.

Quote:
23) Spidergirl and her Disgusting Friends
Fyorlag Spiders x4, Wyvern x1, Estivara, Raelin (SotM), Drow Chainfighter x2, Marcu Esenwein
Creative build. This army is going to have to be on the move, though, so I'd have rather seen an attacking piece instead of swarm Rae. The idea of 3/3 spiders is kind of cool though.

Quote:
24) Relentless Frenzy
Death Knights of Valkrill x2, Air Elemental x2, Venoc Warlord, Sir Hawthorne, Aubrien Archers x2
Interesting combo army. A little short on numbers to tackle some of the top builds out there, but nice cross-synergies.

Quote:
25) Hairy and Ugly
Anubian Wolves x3, Dumutef Guard x4, Warden 816, Gurei-Oni, Otonashi
Wolves are a touch underrated, but I don't really see the rest of the army here.

Quote:
26) Monkey in the Middle
Goblin Cutters x4, Krug, Laglor, Krav Maga Agents (sit 1 goblin cutter)
I like this one. My only trepidation is that cutters are more effective as an OM sink than as a screen.

Last edited by dok; December 22nd, 2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 03:38 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Everything Dok just said, I say the opposite.
@dok

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 06:15 PM
Online HS Seasons 3 and 7 Champion

Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Foudzing is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

#13 = dok army or 22 maybe.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion