Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old October 28th, 2010, 12:36 AM

screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker screwDriver knows what's in an order marker
Orcs or Romans?

First a little history... over here, 'scape is not exactly something you see very often. Even the local Toy's R Us have already pulled out their last Castle sets. But, I was presented with the opportunity to build a 500-pt themed army around Orcs and Romans but budget dictates I can only choose 1. Now, these are NIBs, I can't go telling the guy that I want Arrow Gruts and Legos or some other mix-match combo of these booster. So I need your help. These are my options...

Orcs:
Arrow Gruts 3x (120/500)
Blade Gruts 3x (240/500)
leaves me 260 for bonding heroes or support squads

Romans:
Archers 3x (165/500)
Legos 3x (315/500)
leaves me with 185 for bonding heroes or support squads

My pool of armies to go with these choices includes:
figures from RotV (1 set)
figures from BftU (1 set)
figures from Wave D1 (4 booster packs, 1 of each)

My limited experience says I have Grimnak and Mogrimm Forgehammer that provides a bonding synergy with Blades and Legos respectively. So here's my question...

1. Who would you choose Orcs or Legos?

2. To keep things simple, let's just stick with the 500-pt limit, suggest 2 or 3 armies that I should be on the lookout for (trade or ebay) to go with chosen themed-army.

3. For the moment, I have no access to competitive HS gaming, so this is really just to pacify the HS addiction, perhaps simulated competitions or just the usual play for fun. In the event that things changes and I would need change this army. Which would have a better re-sell or trading value?

4. Or... should I just get 1 booster pack of each and look to built another army instead.

Thanks a bunch guys.
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:42 AM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker
Re: Orcs or Romans?

1. The Romans (My first instinct is Orcs but you'd need to get a hold of more hard to find units (Krug and Swogs).

2. You need to pick up Marcus for the Romans to make them good. Me-Burq-Sa also compliments them nicely and offers another bonding option. You can pick him up here. If you look around they have other sets available too if you're working with a tight budget.

3. Neither of these have that high a trade value sense wave 1 is easily accessible at the moment.

4. No. More of one thing is always best.

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...

Last edited by King of the Marro; October 28th, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old October 28th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

1 of each and then you can proxy(because there are 4 footsoldiers and 3 archers in each pack, it's even) and go either way.

And if you can pick up another pack of something(say, maybe the Snipers and Vipers) that's all the better.

I use 1x of commons all the time at home. It's not as bad as some people think.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:32 AM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Take a look at my avatar. I say Orcs!

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Old October 28th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I just want to disagree with flameslayer93 on the suggestion of getting one of each. In my own opinion, you would be better off doubling up on whichever pack you decide on.
My first instinct is to suggest the Orcs, but as King of the Marro pointed out, the Arrow Gruts really need some bonding options to work well (Swogs especially).
The Romans are fun and can bond with Ne Gok Sa and Mogrimm that you have. The archers aren't anything great, but won't seem too outdone with your limited collection.
Old October 28th, 2010, 09:55 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I was in your position when I first started. I initially used units from chas' vast collection, and had no plans to acquire any of my own. Then chas arranged for me to purchase a hoard (most figures from RotV, SotM and a number of rare individual squads and heroes) from a friend of his who was giving up 'scape, for $40! I had no multiples of anything except maybe Stingers and Drones (zzz). When Wave 1 was re-released, I bought 3 squads of Romans. If you do the same (and purchase Marcus from Auggies), you'll be set. You can then field a 200 point Roman core (Romans x 2 & Marcus) plus combinations of the remaining Romans & heroes to fit any point totals. You'll generally want Raelin and some range. Examples . . .

150 Romans x 3
120 Mogrimm
100 Marcus
80 Raelin
50 Marro Warriors

120 Mogrimm
100 Marcus
100 Romans x 2
100 Syvarris
80 Raelin

Next Generation

Old October 28th, 2010, 11:18 AM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'd say definitely go with the orcs.

1. Orcs are way cooler in my opinion
2. There is a greater variability of armies that can be used with the orcs.
3. Roman archers are just horrible. Nobody uses them, they are terrible. If you go with the romans, half of your figures will be useless. The orcs can make two different types of armies: One with beasts with the arrow gruts, and orc champions with the blade gruts.

The legionnaires are fun too, don't get me wrong, but if I had to choose one or the other I would go with orcs every time.
Old October 28th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post

3. Roman archers are just horrible. Nobody uses them, they are terrible. If you go with the romans, half of your figures will be useless. The orcs can make two different types of armies: One with beasts with the arrow gruts, and orc champions with the blade gruts.

The legionnaires are fun too, don't get me wrong, but if I had to choose one or the other I would go with orcs every time.
This statement has been diagnosed with Grade 3 Metagame Syndrome.

If your talking about a 500-point, double blind draft, with 24 hex start zones, on a BoV style map, have access to many of the hard to find figures, and are playing a death match... then I'm inclined to agree. The roman archers just don't hold up that well.

PLEASE note that this is only ONE style of play. Thematically the RA are pretty darn cool, they look great with some Lego buddy's and are one of the very few squads in the game that offer a SA (at six attack and six range no less!). The heartless bashing of the Roman Archers is really only relevant if you are talking about playing a competitive tournament style game.

Of Note: While research is on going there is still no known cure for Metagame Syndrome.

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Battle Reporter

A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness A_Train wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd Stev View Post
Quote:

If your talking about a 500-point, double blind draft, with 24 hex start zones, on a BoV style map, have access to many of the hard to find figures, and are playing a death match... then I'm inclined to agree. The roman archers just don't hold up that well.

PLEASE note that this is only ONE style of play. Thematically the RA are pretty darn cool, they look great with some Lego buddy's and are one of the very few squads in the game that offer a SA (at six attack and six range no less!). The heartless bashing of the Roman Archers is really only relevant if you are talking about playing a competitive tournament style game.

Of Note: While research is on going there is still no known cure for Metagame Syndrome.

Its not just a matter of Metagame Syndrome, though that is part of it. But it also comes along with people who have a near complete, or very large Heroscape collection. screwDriver does not. He only has Master Set 1 and 3, and Wave D2. I own just about every unit on there, and admittedly, have not played my Roman Archers in a long time. However, with a collection this size of screwDrivers, I could see myself playing them far more often. Its not that they are horrible, it is just that compared to a lot of other squads, they don't hold up. He doesn't have any 4th Mass or 10th Reg. No Blast/Glad combos and no (non-ROTV) Agents.
The Archers aren't great, but they won't seem awful with your limited collection. Their special attack is great for a single hit on a hero, and with Raelin, they can survive quite well.

I'd say of the two, Roman Archers with no boosting or Orc Archers with no bonding or boosting, the Archers come out as more useful.
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:45 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Train View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd Stev View Post
Quote:

Its not just a matter of Metagame Syndrome, though that is part of it. But it also comes along with people who have a near complete, or very large Heroscape collection. screwDriver does not. He only has Master Set 1 and 3, and Wave D2. I own just about every unit on there, and admittedly, have not played my Roman Archers in a long time. However, with a collection this size of screwDrivers, I could see myself playing them far more often. Its not that they are horrible, it is just that compared to a lot of other squads, they don't hold up. He doesn't have any 4th Mass or 10th Reg. No Blast/Glad combos and no (non-ROTV) Agents.
The Archers aren't great, but they won't seem awful with your limited collection. Their special attack is great for a single hit on a hero, and with Raelin, they can survive quite well.

I'd say of the two, Roman Archers with no boosting or Orc Archers with no bonding or boosting, the Archers come out as more useful.
Eschewing the use of both Orc or Roman Archers for range, and fielding Syvarris, the Krav, the Marro Warriors, etc., instead, given screw's collection, the Romans are a more versatile choice.

Next Generation

Old October 28th, 2010, 01:17 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I actually play most of my heroscape for fun, with friends, in a group setting (ie 1 vs 1 vs 1 vs 1), so it's not really competitive at all. However I have not found the romans fun. They die way too easily and their ability is hard to pull off for most maps.

Now I do have a huge collection, with tons of figures I want to play with before the romans (like most DnD stuff I haven't had a chance to try out yet).

I do tend to think competitively, but I also think that doing well is having fun. Now I'm all for the elf wizard army (even though it may not be competitive), but it's fun and it's still pretty decent. But the roman archers just don't perform that well, and it turns into getting angry because your army isn't as good as anyone else's.

The roman archers are also horrible in many other ways of playing:
-Competitive (obviously)
-group battle games (killed way too easily by many different people)
-heroscape quest
-dungeon crawl
-scenario games

Now maybe this is more my opinion but I'd rather have anyone rather than the roman archers in any of those ways of playing heroscape. I hardly think this is because I only think competitively.

I do not play Heroscape solely to be competitive.

My answer also had a lot to do with what I percieved as fun as well. I find the orcs more fun, even if they aren't as good as some other armies. Tons of swarming little minions always has a place in my heart. I don't find the romans, and especially the roman archers, fun. That is my opinion and people who like historic battles would definitely find the roman archers more appealing.

I guess I mainly don't like to be put into the same category as people on this website that only play Heroscape competitively, and if a new unit comes out that isn't the next best thing, it's garbage. That's not me.

We're cool,
Old October 28th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

Orcs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles