Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old August 6th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Sanguinous Rex has disabled reputation
The Romans

Marcus Decimus Gallus (100 points)

x3 Roman Legionnaires (150 points)

x3 Roman Archers (165 points)

Taelord (180 points)

-------------------

595 points

CHARGE!!!!!

Sanguinous Rex, Dread Lord of Pax
www.paxgaming.com
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:04 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: The Romans

My favorite figures, now you have my attention.

Never considered Taelord to pair up with these guys... interesting. My biggest issue with Taelord is that once he's on the board he's a giant target that your opponent almost can't help but attack. Tough to swallow 180 points going down early.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
My favorite figures, now you have my attention.

Never considered Taelord to pair up with these guys... interesting. My biggest issue with Taelord is that once he's on the board he's a giant target that your opponent almost can't help but attack. Tough to swallow 180 points going down early.
In that army that could easily work to your advantage. If positioned right (which should be extremely hard) in order to reach Taelord, even with range, enemy units are going to be within the treat range of at least the archers, maybe even the legionnaires.

If your opponent is that focused on killing off Taelord they may look past the others to defeat the 180 point Kyre. Thats just my 2 cents.
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:54 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

That's a good point KCU Master 2007, that could work to your advantage.

Boston Marathon 4/15/13 3:39:41
Last Race: Naragansett Running Festival 7/21/13 - Half Marathon - 1:50:01
Next Race: KeyBank Vermont Marathon 5/25/14
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:03 PM

Agent of Vydar is surprisingly tart

Just an idea but would Raelin work better than Taelord instead giving especially the roman archers the extra defense.

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...191#post646191 Check out my Epic Battles! Vote for Samurai Showdown or Northern Outpost!
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I think either one would work depending on what your opponent brings to the table, and either one would prove to be a target that needs to be destroyed to ease killing off the already high defense Legionnaires. Either way, its a good bait tactic.
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I don't see how pairing Taelord with the Roman archers is such a good idea. For 65 points, you get three figures with a ranged attack of 2 (boostable to 3) and a defense of 1. The special is unboostable, so I'd use Ashigaru Harquebus instead. For 60, I'd have four figures with an attack of 2 (boostable to 3 or 4) and a defense of 1.

Last edited by rdhight; August 7th, 2008 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Roman Archers cost 55.
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:37 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight View Post
I don't see how pairing Taelord with the Roman archers is such a good idea. For 65 points, you get three figures with a ranged attack of 2 (boostable to 3) and a defense of 1. The special is unboostable, so I'd use Ashigaru Harquebus instead. For 60, I'd have four figures with an attack of 2 (boostable to 3 or 4) and a defense of 1.

Also, 65x3=195, not 165. The cost of your army as written is 625 points. Harq x3 would bring it down to 610. If your opponent won't accept an offer of 10 extra points in his own army, you could replace Marcus with NGS to make it an even 600.
It's an interesting set of options. The Roman Archers don't seem to get a lot of love, but a ranged special attack can be pretty handy with units like Drake, or the new kid, Gurei Oni. Given the other elements of the army I think I'm with you on the Harquebus instead of the Archers. Of course I probably wouldn't use Taelord unless I was defending a castle or something.

Last edited by Agent Minivann; August 7th, 2008 at 02:49 AM.
Old August 7th, 2008, 06:38 AM

cosmosis knows what's in an order marker cosmosis knows what's in an order marker

Assuming your army is 600 points, then if you take out Taelord you would have 185 left. I would suggest Raelin instead as she would last just as long as Taelord, but would cost only 80 points, and her defensive bonus would be more beneficial. That leaves you with 105 points. Perhaps you could add another Warlord for bonding options. If you add Ne-Gok-Sa, then that leaves 15 points for Isamu/Otonashi, so Isamu for this build. NGS is a tank and with a lucky roll can change the tide of battle. Or you could use Me-Burq-Sa for 50 points, leaving you with 55 points for another squad of Romans (either archers or legionnaires). With another warlord, an extra set of legionnaires may come in handy. MBS is great for picking things off.

SPECIAL THANKS TO: oni, tppytel
My Tradelist
Deciper SWCCG Trading
List of Good Traders
Can't find it? Try the Index
Old August 7th, 2008, 08:20 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmosis View Post
Assuming your army is 600 points, then if you take out Taelord you would have 185 left. I would suggest Raelin instead as she would last just as long as Taelord, but would cost only 80 points, and her defensive bonus would be more beneficial. That leaves you with 105 points. Perhaps you could add another Warlord for bonding options. If you add Ne-Gok-Sa, then that leaves 15 points for Isamu/Otonashi, so Isamu for this build. NGS is a tank and with a lucky roll can change the tide of battle. Or you could use Me-Burq-Sa for 50 points, leaving you with 55 points for another squad of Romans (either archers or legionnaires). With another warlord, an extra set of legionnaires may come in handy. MBS is great for picking things off.
One thing the original build is lacking is Hero destruction. I think using MBS is a great idea. He will give a mobility to your hero killing attempts.

Old August 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I really think the 10th foot are worth the extra 20 points per squad over the roman archers, especially with Marcus in the army. I know it's a Roman theme, I just can't find it within myself to take Roman Archers over 10th Foot....

I don't really like Taelord here either. My philosiphy with Taelord is you want him adding as many attack die as possible. The Roman archers 3 attacks of normal 2 don't maximize his potential. He works best with the Minions/Snipers or something ranged with 4 attacks per activation. He probably wouldn't be bad with the 10th Foot I suppose. Hmmm.... <<killercactus starts contemplating a turtle Marcus/Taelord/10th army>>
Taelord would do OK with the Legionaires, but then you have to spend markers moving him up, which I would rather spend attacking 5 times.

I would also like to see another Warlord in there with 3x Legos. It would be nice to find a way to fit Me-Burq-Sa.... here's an attempt at cleaning your army up without totally changing it to 10th Foot -

Marcus - 100
Me-Burq-Sa - 50
Roman Legionaries x2 - 100
Roman Archers x3 - 165
Raelin - 80
Krav Maga Agents - 100

Total = 595

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 7th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yeah, the weak link in your army are the Roman Archers... They have their uses, can be fun to play, and I've pulled off some amazing kills with them, BUT they don't really pair well with Taelord... The Roman Archers really only shine as hero-killers and high-Def. Squad killers using their Volley attack, hence Tae doesn't help.

Raelin would be a better addition to that army... which would also then leave room for NGS, or MBS+ for additional Lego bonding.

Essentially, the Roman Archers are a unit that we'd love to love, but as a 3-member squad, and with the "same level" requirement for their special attack, they're rather limited in their uses. (If they didn't have the same level requirement, they'd be perfect for their cost!)

At any rate, the Romans are fun to play, so enjoy!!

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion