Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Gidian Gidian is offline
 
Join Date: February 5, 2007
Location: * Germany - Hamburg
Posts: 289
Gidian has disabled reputation
Some basic questions

Iīm just reading the SotM Rulebook and some questions occured:

1. The new rulebook says, that a figure can never move up a number of levels EQUAL to or higher its hight. Is this a new rule? We allways played it that way, that a hight-5-figure can move up up to 5 levels.

2. The same with falling?

3. Have the rules for the engagement also been changed? Is a hight-4-figure not engaged to another figure which stands on a 4 levels higher space next to it?

4. Realins Whirlwind attack is described in that way: "you may attack any or all figures ...". Example: 3 Marro Drones are adjacent to Realin and one friendly figure. Does "any or all" mean, she could attack 1 Marro Drone or all 3 Drones plus the friendly figure? Or is she also allowed to attack just the 3 Drones?

5. Double-space figures can only be flipped while moving, right?

6. We are not quite sure about the LOS when attacking adjacent figures with special attacks. We allways played it that way, that you need clear LOS if attacking with any special attack. And what about special abilities (not attacks) like Me-Burq-Saīs Paralizing Stare? Here, the card says "clear LOS".

7. Are there any special rules for swamp terrain? Or is it just normal terrain? I found just one exception: When falling onto swamp water, you may receive wounds. In Germany, you canīt buy Heroscape anymore, so I was thinking of building my own swamp terrain. Is there any reason to build it excepting the Marro Drudges who would benefit from the swamp terrain?


Ok, thatīs it for now.

Thanks

Gidian
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Wiet's Avatar
Wiet Wiet is offline
 
Join Date: October 20, 2007
Location: * Netherlands - Tilburg
Posts: 207
Wiet is surprisingly tart
Here we go:

1) You can't move up 5 levels if you're height is 5, because it would take you six steps to get up there. that's how I remember it. Also, when a figure with height 5 is standing next to a "cliff" of 5 levels high. He can't "see over the edge." That's also a way to remember. This is no new rule. I believe it's explained in the old rules and I'm sure someone is going to show up in this thread with a quote.

2) Same. If it's so high the figure can't "see over the edge" it's too high to climb or descent from.

3) This I know is explained in the old rulebooks, because I had to look it up yesterday. If the base of a figure is on a level equal to or higher than the height of the figure on the hex next to it, they're not adjacent.

4) She can attack any or all, so if you choose all, the friendly figure counts to this as well. To avoid misunderstanding: you don't have to choose between one or all. "Any" could also mean three out of four. So in your example she could also attack just the 3 Drones.

5) This I'm not really sure of. The old rules said flipping cost one movement point. Later this was changed. Flipping is now free. You can flip before or after moving, but I don't know if you can flip during movement. And I also don't know if flipping counts as moving (since it's free, yet you do change the positioning of your figure, so...). That might be of importance for some special attacks/abilities (now or in the future).

6) If the card says "clear LOS", you need clear LOS, that's simple. As for attacks (normal and special). Unless explicitly stated you don't need LOS, you need LOS for all attacks.

7) Swamp tiles have the same properties as water tiles, except for movement. That means, for special abilities/attacks etc. you treat the swamp as water, but for movement you treat is as land.

There you go!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Gidian Gidian is offline
 
Join Date: February 5, 2007
Location: * Germany - Hamburg
Posts: 289
Gidian has disabled reputation
Thanks for your post, that answers most of my questions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiet
1) You can't move up 5 levels if you're height is 5, because it would take you six steps to get up there.
Ok, but not every figure movements equals its height. E.g. Deatstalkers: Height 5, Move 7.
But ok, the rule seems to be clear, no matter if itīs new or not.


Quote:
5) This I'm not really sure of. The old rules said flipping cost one movement point. Later this was changed. Flipping is now free. You can flip before or after moving, but I don't know if you can flip during movement. And I also don't know if flipping counts as moving (since it's free, yet you do change the positioning of your figure, so...). That might be of importance for some special attacks/abilities (now or in the future).
In this point, the new rule book seems to be clear as well. Flipping is for free and possible at any time during the figureīs movement: CLICK


Quote:
6) If the card says "clear LOS", you need clear LOS, that's simple. As for attacks (normal and special). Unless explicitly stated you don't need LOS, you need LOS for all attacks.
In another thread, I read that you don't need LOS for adjacent figures. That's quite important for double-space figures.


Quote:
7) Swamp tiles have the same properties as water tiles, except for movement. That means, for special abilities/attacks etc. you treat the swamp as water, but for movement you treat is as land.
You talk about swamp WATER, don't you? Are there any special rules for the "normal" swamp tiles?

Thanks

Gidian
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:09 AM
that guy that guy is offline
 
Join Date: August 21, 2007
Posts: 492
that guy has disabled reputation
When moving double-spaced figures pick one of it's hexes to be the lead hex. While moving him around you can now flip the figure for free. You still need to lead with the chosen hex though. Once you start attacking, you cannot flip the figure.

As for swamp land - no, there is nothing special about it. Just a new place for us to play on. Swamp water is basically a thin piece of land, but counts as water for special powers.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Jexik's Avatar
Jexik Jexik is offline
Et tu, Jaxet?
 
Join Date: July 4, 2007
Location: IL - Elgin
Posts: 7,042
Images: 3
Blog Entries: 30
Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Re: Some basic questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidian
Iīm just reading the SotM Rulebook and some questions occured:

1. The new rulebook says, that a figure can never move up a number of levels EQUAL to or higher its hight. Is this a new rule? We allways played it that way, that a hight-5-figure can move up up to 5 levels.

2. The same with falling?

3. Have the rules for the engagement also been changed? Is a hight-4-figure not engaged to another figure which stands on a 4 levels higher space next to it?
You and Wiet are correct, but I'll point out that as I understand it, this has been the case since they reprinted RotV with the white dice and a new rulebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidian
4. Realins Whirlwind attack is described in that way: "you may attack any or all figures ...". Example: 3 Marro Drones are adjacent to Realin and one friendly figure. Does "any or all" mean, she could attack 1 Marro Drone or all 3 Drones plus the friendly figure? Or is she also allowed to attack just the 3 Drones?
You can pick and choose which you want to attack, much as Wiet said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidian
5. Double-space figures can only be flipped while moving, right?
Right. Only during the movement phase. In another rules debate, it was determined that 'flipping' does not count as 'adjusting.'
Quote:
Originally Posted by theGuru
You cannot flip mid-attack.

You can only flip "during its movement".

Flipping is not adjusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidian
6. We are not quite sure about the LOS when attacking adjacent figures with special attacks. We allways played it that way, that you need clear LOS if attacking with any special attack. And what about special abilities (not attacks) like Me-Burq-Saīs Paralizing Stare? Here, the card says "clear LOS".
Special abilities require LOS or clear LOS if the card says they do. This includes abilities like Me-Burq-Sa's stare as well as Braxas' acid breath.

But in order to make an attack (Special or normal), you need one of two things if the figure has a Range greater than 1. Adjacency, or line of sight. Either is sufficient, but if you are adjacent/engaged to any figures you must attack them until they are destroyed before attacking anything with which you are not engaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidian
7. Are there any special rules for swamp terrain? Or is it just normal terrain? I found just one exception: When falling onto swamp water, you may receive wounds. In Germany, you canīt buy Heroscape anymore, so I was thinking of building my own swamp terrain. Is there any reason to build it excepting the Marro Drudges who would benefit from the swamp terrain?
Swarm of the Marro introduced two new terrain types: Swamp, and Swamp Water.

Swamp is just differently colored rock, grass, or sand tiles- it is functionally identical.

Swamp Water is flat, like the other liquid terrains. It is functionally closest to normal ice. It has no height, you will take falling damage if you land on it, and your movement is not penalized in any way when moving onto swamp water hex.

The only difference is that special abilities which specifically call for Water or Swamp water function on it. Currently, this list is short: Microcorp Agents' Water Suit, Marro Warriors' Water Clone, and Marro Drudge's Swamp Water Tunnel. Slither technically works, but since no one actually has to slow down for water, it has no effect.

I hope this helps.

Edit: Thatguy said the same thing much more succinctly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Wiet's Avatar
Wiet Wiet is offline
 
Join Date: October 20, 2007
Location: * Netherlands - Tilburg
Posts: 207
Wiet is surprisingly tart
Re: Some basic questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
But in order to make an attack (Special or normal), you need one of two things if the figure has a Range greater than 1. Adjacency, or line of sight. Either is sufficient, but if you are adjacent/engaged to any figures you must attack them until they are destroyed before attacking anything with which you are not engaged.
Wait a minute, do I understand you correctly? If a figure is adjacent to another figure you do not need LOS to attack (normal or special)?

Second question: does flipping count as movement (although it's free)? This could be interesting in the future: imagine a double-based figure with a Mass4-kind of ability. If it doesn't move, the ability triggers. If it flips, does that mean the ability does not trigger?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Cavalier's Avatar
Cavalier Cavalier is offline
Trainer of n00bs
 
Join Date: August 16, 2006
Location: AZ - PHX Metro (Mesa)
Posts: 10,844
Images: 176
Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Re: Some basic questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
But in order to make an attack (Special or normal), you need one of two things if the figure has a Range greater than 1. Adjacency, or line of sight. Either is sufficient, but if you are adjacent/engaged to any figures you must attack them until they are destroyed before attacking anything with which you are not engaged.
Wait a minute, do I understand you correctly? If a figure is adjacent to another figure you do not need LOS to attack (normal or special)?

Second question: does flipping count as movement (although it's free)? This could be interesting in the future: imagine a double-based figure with a Mass4-kind of ability. If it doesn't move, the ability triggers. If it flips, does that mean the ability does not trigger?
When engaged, you do not need LOS.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Jexik's Avatar
Jexik Jexik is offline
Et tu, Jaxet?
 
Join Date: July 4, 2007
Location: IL - Elgin
Posts: 7,042
Images: 3
Blog Entries: 30
Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Yeah, you understand me correctly on the first point. I'd love to find 'Neo's X17: the ulitimate Q9 reach-around' post, where people shoot down his idea of sneaking behind Q9 with Major X17, but my search is turning up blank right now.

Edit: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=2123
The books really are a wonderful resource!

On the second one, I'm not sure. That's a few hypotheticals though. We'd need to have a large figure which has Wait then Fire, or a similar ability, and line of sight obstructed by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 27th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Wiet's Avatar
Wiet Wiet is offline
 
Join Date: October 20, 2007
Location: * Netherlands - Tilburg
Posts: 207
Wiet is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiet
1) You can't move up 5 levels if you're height is 5, because it would take you six steps to get up there.
Ok, but not every figure movements equals its height. E.g. Deatstalkers: Height 5, Move 7.
But ok, the rule seems to be clear, no matter if itīs new or not.
My way of remembering the rule has nothing to do with the total movement of a figure. What I was trying to explain was that it's impossible to climb if that would make you use more movement-points than your figure's height. So if you are height 5, and you need to use 6 movement-points to get to the higher level (we're talking one hex away - mind you), it can't be done (even if you have 70000 total movement) unless the figure has the Flying-ability.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Gidian Gidian is offline
 
Join Date: February 5, 2007
Location: * Germany - Hamburg
Posts: 289
Gidian has disabled reputation
Re: Some basic questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
The only difference is that special abilities which specifically call for Water or Swamp water function on it. Currently, this list is short: Microcorp Agents' Water Suit, Marro Warriors' Water Clone, and Marro Drudge's Swamp Water Tunnel. Slither technically works, but since no one actually has to slow down for water, it has no effect.
Ok, so I think I don't have to build swamp terrain because - at the moment - there ist only one army who would take advantage of the swamp water. The rest also benefits from normal water tiles. It would only be useful if you don't want to have the disadvantages of water.


Quote:
I hope this helps.
Yes, it does. Most of the things we played correctly, but there are some things we have to change, too.

Thanks to all of you.

Greetings from Germany

Gidian
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old February 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Revdyer's Avatar
Revdyer Revdyer is offline
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain
 
Join Date: May 9, 2006
Location: AR - Little Rock
Posts: 13,323
Images: 11
Blog Entries: 18
Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiet
1) You can't move up 5 levels if you're height is 5, because it would take you six steps to get up there.
Ok, but not every figure movements equals its height. E.g. Deatstalkers: Height 5, Move 7.
But ok, the rule seems to be clear, no matter if itīs new or not.
My way of remembering the rule has nothing to do with the total movement of a figure. What I was trying to explain was that it's impossible to climb if that would make you use more movement-points than your figure's height. So if you are height 5, and you need to use 6 movement-points to get to the higher level (we're talking one hex away - mind you), it can't be done (even if you have 70000 total movement) unless the figure has the Flying-ability.
One of the quirks of HeroScape people is that they cannot raise their arms higher than their heads; a sad fact, but true.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 28th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Wiet's Avatar
Wiet Wiet is offline
 
Join Date: October 20, 2007
Location: * Netherlands - Tilburg
Posts: 207
Wiet is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
One of the quirks of HeroScape people is that they cannot raise their arms higher than their heads; a sad fact, but true.
haha, right! Or maybe they don't dare to climb where they can't see. That would be very wise, actually, considering the dangers of the battlefield.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:11 AM.

Heroscape background footer

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.