Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old October 18th, 2015, 10:32 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth
Re: Suggestions for the C3V Design Team

Where's the figure from?

Old October 18th, 2015, 11:24 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

Sorry, left out the most pertinent information!

It's the "Lizardfolk Fighter" from D&D Rage of Demons set.
Old October 19th, 2015, 03:29 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
You call SoV, FanScape?

Are not all customs made by fans?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
Is C3V FanScape?
Some people use the term "FanScape" to refer to C3V + SoV, it's true. However, I think that Tornado is right, and FanScape is really a broader term that would include C3G and HoSS, at least. A while back, when we first began the process of integrating C3V and SoV, I suggested we come up with a name that would refer to the combination of both groups. So we brainstormed a bit and "Valhalla Customs" is what we came up with. So "VC" is an officially defined term that means C3V + SoV. "FanScape" is a much more loosely defined term, and can mean different things to different people.

Does that help clear it up?

DS's original comment seemed to imply a bit of elitism. This sentiment seemed to be reinforced by wriggz' comments. However, DS asserts that this was not his intent, so I'm good. I think I was just feeling a little tired and crochety that day (baby induced sleep deprivation does something to a person).
Old October 19th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
You call SoV, FanScape?

Are not all customs made by fans?
Quote:
Is C3V FanScape?
Some people use the term "FanScape" to refer to C3V + SoV, it's true. However, I think that Tornado is right, and FanScape is really a broader term that would include C3G and HoSS, at least. A while back, when we first began the process of integrating C3V and SoV, I suggested we come up with a name that would refer to the combination of both groups. So we brainstormed a bit and "Valhalla Customs" is what we came up with. So "VC" is an officially defined term that means C3V + SoV. "FanScape" is a much more loosely defined term, and can mean different things to different people.

Does that help clear it up?

DS's original comment seemed to imply a bit of elitism. This sentiment seemed to be reinforced by wriggz' comments. However, DS asserts that this was not his intent, so I'm good. I think I was just feeling a little tired and crochety that day (baby induced sleep deprivation does something to a person).

No elitism suggested, only going off the numbers. Having a group work together to design and theory scape a unit (and I assume test) before having 10 independent people playtest a unit at least twice is very through. I don't think there are may units that I have played that many time (20+ games) let alone testing of customs.

I still find myself tweaking my own customs from time to time to balance them correctly. Power creep is a dangerous thing.

wriggz's custom Figures and Terrain

Have a Question? Take it to the Dump.

Want to Learn More? Go to the Library.
Old January 27th, 2016, 01:47 AM
The Real Zombieland

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I was directed here by @Sherman Davies

I have a few ideas that I haven't seen posted elsewhere by anyone else, so I thought I'd share them with the CV3/SoV team. (I know this thread is just CV3, but SoV is free to use these as well)

Ability Ideas:

• For a unit with either just 1 or no attack/defense. "When rolling defense dice, any shields that the attacking player rolls count towards your defense. When rolling Attack dice, Any Skulls the defending player rolls, count towards your attack."
If they have no attack/defense, also include this at the end of the ability. "[insert name here] always adds 1 skull, and 1 shield when rolling attack, or defense dice." This could be split into two abilities, one for defending only, and one for attacking only, which could be given to separate characters/squads.

• For a unit with at least move 6. "Running Jump: Move 7. When moving [insert name here] if the first 4 spaces were all in a straight line, and on the same level, [insert name here] adds 4 to their height. For the last 3 spaces, [insert name here] may ignore all terrain elevation changes that are less than their height, move over water without stopping, pass over small of medium figures without becoming engaged, and move over obstacles such as ruins that are shorter than thier current height. If they are engaged before these last 3 movement spaces, they will take any leaving engagement attacks.

• For a unit with no move, such as a monolith, or sentient tree. "When taking a turn with [insert name here], and before attacking, you may roll the 20 sided die. If the number rolled is not even, add 1 to the number. [insert name here] may move in a straight line up to the half number of spaces as the number rolled on the 20 sided die. When counting these spaces, you may ignore elevations, pass over water without stopping, pass through figures without becoming engaged, and pass through obstacles such as ruins. [insert name here] does not take any leaving engagement attacks when they moves with this ability."

I'd really like any feedback anyone is willing to give for these ablities. Are they interesting? Is there anything that imediately shouts broken? Do they sound like they fit heroscape?

As I understand it, suggestions like these aren't really the best way to help CV3. Rather Playtesting is. So I'll probaby
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:55 PM

Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ixe is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
I have a few ideas that I haven't seen posted elsewhere by anyone else, so I thought I'd share them with the CV3/SoV team. (I know this thread is just CV3, but SoV is free to use these as well)
The SoV is actually a group of judges who review and test units submitted by the public. If you want to, you could set up your own thread in the Custom Units & Army Cards forum and make your own design based on these very ideas. With some testing and meeting some different criteria, you could submit any of those units to the SoV!

As is, I'm sure that C3V is always glad to hear new and exciting ideas from the community. If you are interested in helping the project further, they are always delighted to have help playtesting!

Quote:
• For a unit with either just 1 or no attack/defense. "When rolling defense dice, any shields that the attacking player rolls count towards your defense. When rolling Attack dice, Any Skulls the defending player rolls, count towards your attack."
If they have no attack/defense, also include this at the end of the ability. "[insert name here] always adds 1 skull, and 1 shield when rolling attack, or defense dice." This could be split into two abilities, one for defending only, and one for attacking only, which could be given to separate characters/squads.
That is a very interesting ability and one that I have never seen before. Unfortunately, there are some limitations that C3V has to deal with that get in the way of using that power. When heroscape was first released, it had separate attack and defense dice rather than the combat dice that you are presumably familiar with. Attack dice would have 3 skulls on them while the rest would be blank and defense dice would have 2 shields and the remaining blank. Some players still use these dice and all designs are still bound by their use. It may be possible to do something with Valkyrie dice here but that carries its own set of challenges.

Quote:
• For a unit with at least move 6. "Running Jump: Move 7. When moving [insert name here] if the first 4 spaces were all in a straight line, and on the same level, [insert name here] adds 4 to their height. For the last 3 spaces, [insert name here] may ignore all terrain elevation changes that are less than their height, move over water without stopping, pass over small of medium figures without becoming engaged, and move over obstacles such as ruins that are shorter than thier current height. If they are engaged before these last 3 movement spaces, they will take any leaving engagement attacks.
That is another interesting and thematic power. There is a certain layout that cards normally use so the wording my be a bit different but that is definitely doable. There have been other units made that have jumping powers although they don't require the straight line run before hand.

Quote:
• For a unit with no move, such as a monolith, or sentient tree. "When taking a turn with [insert name here], and before attacking, you may roll the 20 sided die. If the number rolled is not even, add 1 to the number. [insert name here] may move in a straight line up to the half number of spaces as the number rolled on the 20 sided die. When counting these spaces, you may ignore elevations, pass over water without stopping, pass through figures without becoming engaged, and pass through obstacles such as ruins. [insert name here] does not take any leaving engagement attacks when they moves with this ability."
The theme of this last one really depends on the unit in question. It can definitely provide an interesting perspective on the unit. The only non-moving unit we have as reference is the Marro Hive but a power like this wouldn't be a problem as long as it wasn't so large that placement would be a constant issue.

Thank you again for sharing!

Last edited by Porkins; January 27th, 2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Fixed your link to the playtesting thread
Old January 27th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
Quote:
That is a very interesting ability and one that I have never seen before. Unfortunately, there are some limitations that C3V has to deal with that get in the way of using that power. When heroscape was first released, it had separate attack and defense dice rather than the combat dice that you are presumably familiar with. Attack dice would have 3 skulls on them while the rest would be blank and defense dice would have 2 shields and the remaining blank. Some players still use these dice and all designs are still bound by their use. It may be possible to do something with Valkyrie dice here but that carries its own set of challenges.
It is a really good idea. Typically to dodge the classic dice when dealing with powers like this, the power should say "roll 3 combat dice" or whatever. Unfortunately, that's for you, not your opponent, so I don't know how to implement that. A good idea for a custom, just not one that could fit in for all Heroscape households.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old January 27th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

C3G loves dice with skulls, shields, and blanks all together. Definitely some interesting mechanics there. Now I'm wondering if they'd fit for any superheroes.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old January 28th, 2016, 02:01 AM
The Real Zombieland

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixe View Post
Quote:
It is a really good idea. Typically to dodge the classic dice when dealing with powers like this, the power should say "roll 3 combat dice" or whatever. Unfortunately, that's for you, not your opponent, so I don't know how to implement that. A good idea for a custom, just not one that could fit in for all Heroscape households.

~TAF
@Ixe I realized that I could just make my own custom for SoV, but decided to leave that part in anyway. I'm probably going to this eventually though. It would probably be the fastest way to get these ideas used.

@TheAverageFan Could it not work by adding the following to the ability "When [insert name here] attacks, the defending player must roll combat dice. When [insert name here] is attacked, the attacking player must roll combat dice." Maybe have "or Valkyrie dice" or "unless they would roll "Valkyrie dice" just for the flag bearers?

Seems like that would clear it up. I would find it very very hard to believe that anyone who uses C3V customs doesn't have the second, or the D&D master set (if not both) which both come with the updated dice.
Old January 28th, 2016, 06:33 AM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I would find it very very hard to believe that anyone who uses C3V customs doesn't have the second, or the D&D master set (if not both) which both come with the updated dice.
You're not believing hard enough.

Oh, I have a Swarm of the Marro master set. But only as of recently, and it was mighty pricey. For a long time, it was just good old Rise of the Valkyrie. And then, it was good old RotV and the Cathar Spearmen. And then Varkanaans. It is much easier to add VC customs to my collection, as they are much cheaper, much more available, and I like a lot of the units better than the old stuff.

I also like using the red and blue dice a lot better. Maybe it's just me?

I really like the Running Jump. It seems like something we should have seen in the original Heroscape, for a lightly armored human or maybe... It would make a great power for a mobile, leader type unit for the rag tag Mariedons... Hmmm...

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs
Old January 28th, 2016, 06:49 AM
The Real Zombieland

Welp. Guess I was wrong. And surprised. I guess I just assumed that anyone who liked the game would have jumped to get another master set as soon as it came out. That and with how I've seen o lot of people react to customs from various games, including heroscape, most people would rather get official stuff before even considering customs, even if they are very well playtested like C3V and SoV.

It would make sense that you like using the dice that you originally got with the game, since you would be used to using them the most. Did you ever get any of the smaller expansions?

Also can someone link a picture to these dice because I didn't know they existed, and I'd like to see what they look like.
Old January 28th, 2016, 06:58 AM

Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness Maklar the Silver Prince wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Welp. Guess I was wrong. And surprised. I guess I just assumed that anyone who liked the game would have jumped to get another master set as soon as it came out. That and with how I've seen o lot of people react to customs from various games, including heroscape, most people would rather get official stuff before even considering customs, even if they are very well playtested like C3V and SoV.

It would make sense that you like using the dice that you originally got with the game, since you would be used to using them the most. Did you ever get any of the smaller expansions?

Also can someone link a picture to these dice because I didn't know they existed, and I'd like to see what they look like.
Some of us were wee little 'uns when the game first came out. And some people get into it after its done. It's just the way it is, and VC is a great continuation for those who didn't jump on.

I did get some of the smaller expansions. I got the little gruts early on, elf wizards and grok riders later, as they were cheap, and then some d&d stuff, because it's great.

I will try to get you some pics of my beautiful dice, but it may not be until later. School takes up so much time.

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Maklar the Silver Prince's Customs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs