Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old August 29th, 2014, 08:39 AM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker
First repaint attempt : tips?

Hi,

So after thinking about it for forever, I've started my first repaint; Mimring, inspired by skyknight's 'Ember'.

I based in grey, then did a black wash (so it wasn't a flat black), then I've tried to paint the stripes.

You may not be able to make it out in the photo, but the red stripes don't look great close up; you can see the brush strokes, and when I applied the paint, the bristles of the brush seemed to push the paint out to the sides and it isn't applied evenly. I tried getting a better brush today, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

The red also hasn't come up as brilliantly as I'd hoped.

Looking for tips from someone who may have been here before; is it technique, the brush, the paint? I only have cheap acrylics, but I don't want to go get expensive stuff if it isn't the problem (and before I take the leap into mass painting).

Old August 29th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!
Re: First repaint attempt : tips?

Looking at it, the red probably needs another coat or two. Honestly, I wouldn't have recommended something like this for your first repaint - I'd have suggested something simpler, on a smaller model. As for other tips, part of me thinks a wash of red sounds like it could look good in the cracks, but I've not tried something like this before so I don't know. I'd also give it a little drybrush of grey over the black to give it more depth.

Good luck!

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old August 29th, 2014, 10:28 AM

Utgars_General is surprisingly tart

As Lazy Orang said, another few coats should help. I'd also suggest going from a darker red to a lighter red with each coat - if done right, it would simulate a slight glowing, and will help that final, bright red stand out better because it is on a lighter background (bright colors directly on dark colors doesn't work well). Oh, and try adding a small hint of dish soap to the paint to break up the surface tension, it will help lessen streaking. And try using either a foam brush (if you have a small enough one to get the details you want) or a softer brush - stiff bristles are the mothers of many a streak.

Actually, you could probably go for a layer of bright, opaque orange first, and then do a semi-translucent coat of red over that to get a bold red color, come to think of it.

My Customs Last Updated: June 9th, 2011
-Now with space-and-time saving organization, and 'Nids!
Old August 29th, 2014, 07:20 PM

bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker bacchus knows what's in an order marker

Thanks Lazy Orang. After the first coat of red, I thought a second coat might be what was required to make it brighter, but the photos are after the second coat; it didn't seem to make a significant difference. I considered a red wash afterwards, to try and give it some 'glow'.

Utgars General, as I'm starting out I only have some basic paints, but I can always mix a hint of yellow or something to get a few different shades. I might try making a foam brush, that could work.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions