Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 21st, 2010, 08:13 AM

Zexion is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Teaching a newbie

Hi. I have some friends I wish to introduce to HeroScape one at a time. I have all 3 Master Sets: RotV, SotM and BftU (Marvel I do not count as master set, more like an expansion).

What I like to do is have a basic game for the first game to teach movement, height and combat.
Which basic game scenario from any of the 3 sets is easiest to teach with?

Then I might have a game of master using a scenario with pre-set armies to add order markers, wounds and special rules into the mix.
Which pre-set army scenario is easiest to teach with?

Then I'll teach how to draft.
Which draftable scenario from the 3 sets (BftU would use the downloadable maps from WotC) is simplest?

If anyone can answer the 3 bold questions, it would be very nice, since I want my friends to have an easy time starting.
Old April 21st, 2010, 09:36 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Teaching a newbie

1. The basic game is stupid. There is no need to teach the basic game to anyone above the age of 6.

2. For game mechanics, I'd go with the first scenario from BftU. Small number of figures but movement and game mechanics are all important. Unless you feel like they might be put off by the D&D theme, as some people might be, in which case I'd just throw together two hodge podge armies on a small map & go for it. SotM Drake & Raelin & MW vs. Q10 & whatever & whatever. Just make a little map with some elevation & some water and go for it.

3. Draft? I wouldn't do that until they have some experience with the figures. Don't do that until they know what they're doing, otherwise you're spending an hour telling them about 30 figures, 24 of which they won't use.

My 2c.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM

Phooey, Basic Game is stupid? I don't know about you, but I'm one of those who believes ONE (and only ONE) game of Basic can teach movement, combat and heights before moving on to the Master Game stuff. So which Basic Scenarios is best for teaching?
Old April 21st, 2010, 10:41 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
Phooey, Basic Game is stupid? I don't know about you, but I'm one of those who believes ONE (and only ONE) game of Basic can teach movement, combat and heights before moving on to the Master Game stuff. So which Basic Scenarios is best for teaching?
But you can teach those things *and* combat and game mechanics all at the same time with the regular game.

If all you want to teach is movement and height then I would not suggest going through an entire scenario for that purpose, but what do I know, I am curious to see what others have to say.

Good luck & have fun teaching.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:12 AM

history_dude Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
But you can teach those things *and* combat and game mechanics all at the same time with the regular game.

If all you want to teach is movement and height then I would not suggest going through an entire scenario for that purpose, but what do I know, I am curious to see what others have to say.

Good luck & have fun teaching.
The way I have done it is to set up a small sample map with a couple of figures to teach the basics.

I started by explaining turns (each order marker = 1 turn = move and then attack with all figures for that card). Then I pointed to the movement # and explain movement rules (including water and height, but not enough height to have to worry about adjacency/falling damage/etc.) while moving a figure around in various hypothetical ways.

Then I explained attack/defense the basics of the combat rules (including height advantage, LOS and engagement/disengagement) and rolled out some sample attacks using the guys on the board, while explaining life (squad figures = 1 hit and dead, heroes usually can take more). Then I went back and explained the overall round structure (place markers, roll initiative, reveal markers in turn order). Then I pointed out how each unit had unique special powers. I didn't explain common units or glyphs.

Finally I played a small skirmish on the mini-map with pre-set teams of ~200 points of uniques (including at least one squad and one hero) on each side using the advanced rules. Seemed to work pretty well.

Chris
Old April 21st, 2010, 11:38 AM

Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker

I've never used the Basic Game to teach anyone how to play. Most of the time it's only one new person who probably won't play for a long time anyway. It seems like it wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Some of my friends seem to be swamped when I give them all of the rules at once. By playing a Basic game you ease them into it, even if Basic is pretty stupid compaired to Master. But once they play the next game, they'll have the basics down and the extra rules shouldn't bother them.

I realize there aren't THAT many rules, but some people might not enjoy/understand getting them thrown at them all at once.

As for the maps to use, I'm not really sure. I haven't looked at those in ages, haha. Sorry.
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

When teaching new people, I usually just suet up a map and use two figures to basically explain the rules in like 5-10 minutes. Then We play my Master Set rules, except no order markers - as that just adds a strategic level that is hard to understand at first. Only a few figures with powers that say "If at least one order marker..." are affected so usually I just ignore that wording when playing.

You could play a basic game, but usually just taking 5 minutes through the rules works just as well - I guess it is up to you.

After a couple games, add order markers. After 4+ games or if they have time to look through all the figures, then you can draft.
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:47 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

For some odd reason, I never considered to use the basic game to teach new people. Perhaps it's been so long (2-3 years) since I played the basic game I just sort of forgot it existed. heck! I don't think I even know how to play a basic game anymore. Anyway, It seems like a good idea to play 2-3 basic games, then introduce them to the special powers on the back of the cards.
Old April 21st, 2010, 01:52 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death!

Try making simple and funny armies with one squad of range, 2 squads of melee and one hero. Like Roman archers, 2 Phantom knights and Old Drake verse 10th, 2 vipers and Sir Hawkthorn. No auras, No bonding, No synergy. It makes for a simple game only using one card at a time but looks really fun and crazy.

It will be like the basic game with life and some cool powers, without being overwelming. New people will get use to using squads and heroes and how range and height works. also leave out any modifiers like road or jungle and don't put any extreem height where falling matters. The game will be quick and then you can play extreem games when they get the hang of it.

wriggz's custom Figures and Terrain

Have a Question? Take it to the Dump.

Want to Learn More? Go to the Library.
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:06 PM

AMIS rolls all skulls baby! AMIS rolls all skulls baby! AMIS rolls all skulls baby! AMIS rolls all skulls baby! AMIS rolls all skulls baby!

Basic armies are the key. I'm with wriggz on this except I'd use only three units per side: 1 melee, 1 range and one hero.

For starters they probably shouldn't be evenly matched so they'll quickly figure out why they should be.

For the first game use a small map (not one of those provided since this is a teaching excercise) and IMO ignore the basic rules unless you intend to use them for more than a few games. Why get them interested in something your not willing to continue?

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.
Old April 21st, 2010, 03:16 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death! wriggz is hot lava death!

I'm With me too, however having 2 common squads is a very important aspect of the game, and is not easy to explain (in my experience). Unless you only have one squad of most commons, and thus it would not be necessary to have multiples.

Using the SotM only:
2 stingers and Drake verus 2 Drudge and Q10 would be an interesting game for new folkes.

wriggz's custom Figures and Terrain

Have a Question? Take it to the Dump.

Want to Learn More? Go to the Library.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:57 PM

Never mind then, I'll just get them to watch Tom Vasel's 2nd video about Heroscape.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion