Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

View Poll Results: Which unit is better?
Tandros Kreel 15 93.75%
Torin 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 17th, 2021, 03:16 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Unit Debate # 76 Tandros Kreel vs Torin

I ask that you don't use this format without permission to preserve the quality of the Unit Debates and avoid confusion.

NOTE: Debates can now acknowledge the existence and affect of VC Customs (C3V & SoV) on the units

This Unit Debate was selected by @lefton4ya .

1. Stats/Special Powers

2. Playability

3. Overall Usefulness

4. Who Would Win Head-To-Head

5. Army Builds

6. Best Strategic Use

7. Best in Dungeon Crawl

NOTE: Debates can now acknowledge the existence and affect of VC Customs (C3V & SoV) on the units
Old June 18th, 2021, 03:12 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Unit Debate # 76 Tandros Kreel vs Torin

I was thinking of using one of these unit for Scapecon, and I think they are at first glance very similar as "defender tanks", hence why I chose the debate.

1. Stats/Special Powers
Tandros has a bit more survivability, Torin can get up to 6 attack on small and medium figures, Tandros has a weak ranged attack to boot. Not counting CLEAVE and COMBAT CHALLENGE or EVIL EYE DEFENSE, I think Tandros slightly wins. For those special powers Torin is better against range and Tandros is better against melee. Both are valid for different circumstances and forces an opponent to change their strategy. Honestly one unit is not better than the other in all circumstances as really based on who you pair them with and play against, but Tandros' CLEAVE I think has a better chance of actually wounding in a game than EVIL EYE DEFENSE, therefore Tandros wins.

2. Playability
Both are actually difficult to play. You have to put order markers on them to keep up with figures you are defending. Unlike Nakita's Smoke Powder Torin does not prevent figures from getting attacked from range, just discourages it especially from low dice attacks, which is especially nice against ranged commons but not on special attackers. Tandros is good to protect more fragile units from melee attacks, especially melee squads and bonding units. For straight double-bind where common ranged squads are more prevalent I think Torin is better, but for reverse-the-whip or other formats where melee is more common, or when pairing with Braxas, Hydra, or other "fragile sharks" Tandros is better. TIE.

3. Overall Usefulness
Again really depends on who you pair with. However I think Tandros fits in more armies as a swiss-army knife of both tank to attack, defender of fragile heroes, as well as an great glyph grabber and clean-up figure and someone wo draws fire, versus Torin where people ignore. Not to discount the Torin ignored as as strategy to make your opponent follow a certain path, but Tandros seems slightly more useful.

Torin gets +2 attack against medium Tandros which can eat through Tandros' 2 more life. Also Tandros will not use his ranged attack first. Torin wins.

5. Army Builds
As mentioned before Tandros seems like it fits in more armies, and is especially good with Braxas, Hydra, or other "fragile sharks". Also Tandros works great with Theracus, Brunak, or Saylind to both bring him into the foray and protect the carriers that took him for a ride/summoned. Tandros wins.

6. Best Strategic Use
Both are Tanks, Tandros is a better defender, Torin is better to cause an opponent to rethink who he/she is attacking and where they move. Honestly I am not as experienced with Torin as I am with Tandros, so I will leave as a tie for now.

7. Best in Dungeon Crawl
Both are great, but Tandros was literally summoned to Valhalla in D&D campaigns in first master set. Tandros wins.
Old June 18th, 2021, 03:19 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Unit Debate # 76 Tandros Kreel vs Torin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
I was thinking of using one of these unit for Scapecon, and I think they are at first glance very similar as "defender tanks", hence why I chose the debate.

1. Stats/Special Powers
Tandros has a bit more survivability, Torin can get up to 6 attack on small and medium figures, Tandros has a weak ranged attack to boot. Not counting CLEAVE and COMBAT CHALLENGE or EVIL EYE DEFENSE, I think Tandros slightly wins. for those special powers one is better against range and another is better against melee. Both are valid for different circumstances and forces an opponent to change their strategy. Honestly one unit is not better than the other in all circumstances as really based on who you pair them with, but Tandros' CLEAVE I think has a better chnagce of actually wounding in a game then EVIL EYE DEFENSE, therefore I think Tandros wins.

2. Playability
Both are actually difficult to play. You have to put order markers on them to keep up with figures you are defending. Unlike Nakita's Smoke Powder Torin does not prevent figures from getting attacked from range, just discourages it especially from low dice attacks, which is especially nice against ranged commons but not on special attackers. Tandros is good to protect more fragile units from melee attacks, especially melee squads and bonding units. For straight double-bind where common ranged squads are more prevalent I think Torin is better, but for reverse-the-whip or other formats where melee is more common, or when pairing with Braxas, Hydra, or other "fragile sharks" Tandros is better. TIE.

3. Overall Usefulness
Again really depends on who you pair with. However I think Tandros fits in more armies as a swiss-army knife of both tank to attack, defender of fragile heroes, as well as an great glyph grabber and clean-up figure and someone wo draws fire, versus Torin where people ignore. Not to discount the Torin ignored as as strategy to make your opponent follow a certain path, but Tandros seems slightly more useful.

Torin gets +2 attack against medium Tandro which can eat through Tandros' 2 more life. Also Tandros will not use his ranged attack first. Torin wins.

5. Army Builds
As mentioned before Tandros seems like it fits in more armies. Also Tandros works great with Theracus, Brunak, or Saylind to both bring him into the foray and protect the carriers that took him for a ride/summoned. Tandros wins.

6. Best Strategic Use
Both are Tanks, Tandros is a better defender, Torin is better to cause an opponent to rethink who he/she is attacking and where they move. Honestly I am not as experienced with Torin as I am with Tandros, so I will leave as a tie for now.

7. Best in Dungeon Crawl
Both are great, but Tandros was literally summoned to Valhalla in D&D campaigns in first master set. Tandros wins.
Overall I agree with you...the only item I would mention is the 6 attack of Torin probably makes Stats/Spec Powers a Tie.
I think we often overlook the high number of dice assuming we all suck at rolling them and knowing that when it counts for an attack...6 shields is "Typical!".

Tandros is better at overall usefulness, army builds (I love using him with Brunak), and in a dungeon crawl.
I would probably lean more towards Torin as a Tank but it could easily be called a tie...
3-1 Tandros. (Possibly 3-2 but Tandros still wins)

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; June 18th, 2021 at 03:23 PM. Reason: I know I hate seeing shields and then I attempt defense and roll all Skulls...rottin' dice.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units