Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Old September 25th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: HeroSpace Project Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamminguitar View Post
If there's going to be both a ground and space battle at the same time, wouldn't that make actually playing the game a more complicated hassle than otherwise? I think that for a ground/space combination to work, the space vehicles would have to be oversimplified, which basically ruins the whole purpose of having that kind of scenario.

Or... we could just use the ships on the ground map and just say they're in the air and people are not under them because it would create pressure or whatever on them. Then a smaller ship would make at least some sense since it would appear that small from the perspective of someone on the ground. Then we could also use all the same rules for a dogfight with ships alone since we are not making new rules for two different, simultaneous battlefields. Just my thoughts though.
Welcome to the site! Nice to see another semi-Atlantan around here. I think I’ve seen a fair amount of different mini models for Star Wars ships. I think it would be possible to create streamlined intuitive rules for ship/figure combat in different ways, but I think it really comes down to what WW wants.
Old September 25th, 2018, 11:29 AM

WatchmanWatcher is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
OK, so here's what I'm thinking: If you have a big flat hex space mat, the rules could be that only space vehicles are allowed to occupy those spaces.

Then you could have other hexes built over the spaces that are "planet" hexes. And the planet hexes could be occupied by regular units, like in C3G, for instance, you could put a Civilian or a Beat Cop or a Green Lantern on a Planet space.

So the Space hexes and Planet hexes would be on the same map, but space vehicles would be stuck in the space hexes and planetary forces would be stuck in the planet hexes with no crossover. However, they could fire at each other if they have range. There could be some sort of defensive bonus involved and maybe some way for certain figures/ships to move between the space/planet barrier, but that's the essential starting idea.
I kinda like this idea, but I think it'd be better if each planet hex had its own map. I know I complain about scale a lot, but I like this idea too much

I wouldn't implement range affecting space models (unless it was caused by a specific building like the ion cannon I put in OP)
Old September 25th, 2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
So is this currently going to be a skirmish like Star Wars X-Wing? I was considering how we could complement the fighters with small frigates that could transport multiple vehicles or be the "tanks" of the battle. For the miniatures, I'm pretty sure that the Hot Wheels ships could work if sticking to the Star Wars theme, but I'm not really sure how to amass a small fleet of frigates without creating our own(I wouldn't be complaining though)

Also, if anyone is still thinking about a naval version, the Pirates of the Spanish Main ships are only a couple bucks each and are pretty well detailed for being essentially cardboard, though they would not scale at all with any figure in vanilla Scape.
Welcome to the site, mate!

As for your fleet suggestion, that's what I want for the future. Most of the minis I use come from the Star Wars: rebellion box, and most fit In a single hex, bearing in mind that I have Star destroyers and corellian corvettes (hence their stats; I don't want to do stats for anything I don't have, which is why I'm sticking with star wars).

Unfortunately, this only gives me 2 classes of ship for the rebellion and the empire (I want to do the assault carriers differently, dammit!), but I think it's a good starting point. The next step could be Star Trek or Warhammer 40k, depending on what I can get.

As for Space/ground interaction, I'd say some form of teleportation is used, perhaps centred on a glyph? Maybe:
Glyph of Planetfall
If a figure stands on this glyph and a figure on the corresponding planet on the space map has transport capacity, you may remove this model and place it on the space model's card, and now counts as being embarked within the space model.
If a space model takes an activation and ends its move on a planet space, it may place any embarked models onto the Glyph of Planetfall or as close as possible. Those models may not take any action during this activation
Old September 25th, 2018, 11:47 AM

Jamminguitar Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchmanWatcher View Post
Quote:
So is this currently going to be a skirmish like Star Wars X-Wing? I was considering how we could complement the fighters with small frigates that could transport multiple vehicles or be the "tanks" of the battle. For the miniatures, I'm pretty sure that the Hot Wheels ships could work if sticking to the Star Wars theme, but I'm not really sure how to amass a small fleet of frigates without creating our own(I wouldn't be complaining though)

Also, if anyone is still thinking about a naval version, the Pirates of the Spanish Main ships are only a couple bucks each and are pretty well detailed for being essentially cardboard, though they would not scale at all with any figure in vanilla Scape.

As for your fleet suggestion, that's what I want for the future. Most of the minis I use come from the Star Wars: rebellion box, and most fit In a single hex, bearing in mind that I have Star destroyers and corellian corvettes (hence their stats; I don't want to do stats for anything I don't have, which is why I'm sticking with star wars).

Unfortunately, this only gives me 2 classes of ship for the rebellion and the empire (I want to do the assault carriers differently, dammit!), but I think it's a good starting point. The next step could be Star Trek or Warhammer 40k, depending on what I can get.
I've been looking at Rebellion for a while, and I might soon get it myself. I definitely know where you're coming from when it comes to miniatures, they're just so much better than a piece of paper! Anyways, I'd easily be up for having ships of multiple universes since, well, that's kinda what Heroscape is lol. I'm gonna do some play testing today and see how the game looks and feels on a flat vs 3-d map and how well the figures play. I can't wait to see where this goes!
Old September 25th, 2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've been looking at Rebellion for a while, and I might soon get it myself. I definitely know where you're coming from when it comes to miniatures, they're just so much better than a piece of paper! Anyways, I'd easily be up for having ships of multiple universes since, well, that's kinda what Heroscape is lol. I'm gonna do some play testing today and see how the game looks and feels on a flat vs 3-d map and how well the figures play. I can't wait to see where this goes!
Cheers! Please tell me what does and doesn't work!

Have fun!
Old September 25th, 2018, 05:20 PM

Played my first game. Sides were:
Imperial:
Star destroyer
4x Assault carrier
6x TIE fighter squadrons

Rebel
2x X-wing squadrons
3x Y-wing squadrons
4x corellian corvette

Result: decisive rebel victory

Casualties:
Star Destroyer
4x Assault Carrier
6x TIE fighter squad

3x Y-wing squad
X-wing squad
Corellian corvette

What happened?
I put a black hole in the middle of the board. Star destroyer rolled 4 skulls to determine its movement towards the hole. Didn’t kill a thing (except a Y-wing squad with point defence

Notes
Imperial assault carriers need TIE bonding
More TIEs in general! They were great together, but felt weak after a few casualties
Corvettes can clean house if you let them. Going to lower their bonding to 1 because otherwise you get 4 kills in a turn and that’s not really fair
Ranges felt right. They just did!
NEVER let anything bigger than a fighter anywhere near a black hole, especially not your flagship
Black holes can however be exploited by the smart and the brave to move farther
Old September 26th, 2018, 04:35 PM

Second battle
Rebels
Millennium falcon
9x X-wing
6x Y-wing
3x B-wing
3x corellian corvette

Imperials
2x star destroyer
6x Assault Carrier
12x TIE fighter squad

Results: phyrric rebel victory

Casualties
Rebels
Millennium falcon
9x X-wing
6x Y-wing
2x B-wing
3x corellian corvette

Imperial Imperials
2x star destroyer
6x Assault Carrier
12x TIE fighter squad

Notes

TIEs are so much better in big groups. It also felt great to swarm the rebels with 16 models in turn 1 (TIEs and 4 carriers)
Star Destroyers are terrifying to face with fighters. The only competent ones were the Y-wings, and everything else seemed to melt if it got anywhere close to the star destroyer. One turn, the destroyer took down 4 fighter units with point defence alone! Methinks a large price tag for that one!
The black hole took its sacrifice again (2 Assault Carriers)
Millennium Falcon needs double attack or something, but was fun to have (and sacrificed itself to kill the second destroyer)
Assault carriers don’t feel overpowered, and I’m now very happy with them
10/10 needs more black holes
Old September 26th, 2018, 05:40 PM

Jamminguitar Woo who?

I'm going to write some notes down on all this, and I'm gonna do a couple battles tonight after I watch Solo. While I have a great deal of ships, I don't have 48 TIE fighters lol, so I'm gonna first play a small game with the regular unit size requirements(I'll use around 4 TIE squads, Star destroyers, carriers, and about the same number for total rebel forces), and then play a more hopefully "grand" version so I can use the extra units. For that I'm thinking of having every ship resemble a whole unit of fighters since it would not be too far fetched to do as most squadrons stick to a single formation anyways. So instead of a TIE squad having 4 ships, it would be a single ship that has 4 hit points. So in combat, you can make attacks with up to your hitpoint count to simulate fighters left in your squad. Whenever an ability such as the carrier's pickup comes into play, only if the total hitpoints of every squad getting on board totals to 4 or less will they all be able to take the ride. In addition, both the carrier's and blockade runner's bonding ability will of course make the whole squad move, but only up to the number of ships bonded will be able to fire. I have absolutely no idea how bad or well this will work yet, but it is my only way of getting those "larger" battles without resorting to paper proxies(I would only have 1 y-wing and 2 x-wing squadrons). Still, I'm gonna try both versions and see how it goes!
Old September 27th, 2018, 03:37 AM

Quote:
I'm going to write some notes down on all this, and I'm gonna do a couple battles tonight after I watch Solo. While I have a great deal of ships, I don't have 48 TIE fighters lol, so I'm gonna first play a small game with the regular unit size requirements(I'll use around 4 TIE squads, Star destroyers, carriers, and about the same number for total rebel forces), and then play a more hopefully "grand" version so I can use the extra units. For that I'm thinking of having every ship resemble a whole unit of fighters since it would not be too far fetched to do as most squadrons stick to a single formation anyways. So instead of a TIE squad having 4 ships, it would be a single ship that has 4 hit points. So in combat, you can make attacks with up to your hitpoint count to simulate fighters left in your squad. Whenever an ability such as the carrier's pickup comes into play, only if the total hitpoints of every squad getting on board totals to 4 or less will they all be able to take the ride. In addition, both the carrier's and blockade runner's bonding ability will of course make the whole squad move, but only up to the number of ships bonded will be able to fire. I have absolutely no idea how bad or well this will work yet, but it is my only way of getting those "larger" battles without resorting to paper proxies(I would only have 1 y-wing and 2 x-wing squadrons). Still, I'm gonna try both versions and see how it goes!
Good luck! Want to just point out that I count every fighter unit as a ‘squad’, so there were 12 TIE models in total. I only have so many fighters because I own the newer Star Wars risk game (which isn’t really risk, but is quite fun) and it cost me about £15 online

You’ll have to tell me how your idea goes! I was afraid to do it because it could make fighters overpowered, but it looks like you’ve got it covered
Old September 27th, 2018, 07:39 AM

Jamminguitar Woo who?

Quote:
Quote:
Good luck! Want to just point out that I count every fighter unit as a ‘squad’, so there were 12 TIE models in total. I only have so many fighters because I own the newer Star Wars risk game (which isn’t really risk, but is quite fun) and it cost me about £15 online

You’ll have to tell me how your idea goes! I was afraid to do it because it could make fighters overpowered, but it looks like you’ve got it covered
Alright I see! lol I wasn't sure how many there were to begin with! I'm definitely gonna play it with the normal squad rules first and see how that goes! I'm trying to get a time to play, but marching band keeps me from doing... anything, so I'm gonna try for Friday, but honestly Saturday is gonna be when I can
Old September 27th, 2018, 11:09 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

I've got a good sized collection of X-Wing Miniatures ships, so I'm interested!

However, I can't help but feel that this might end up being less interesting than normal Heroscape since there is no height advantage. That one simple rule is a major, major part of Heroscape strategy. Imagine drafting Heroscape armies and playing on a large empty grass field with no height. Boring!

So I think we'd need to come up with some way to add strategic depth to the game.

How did you handle LOS? A ship can shoot anywhere 360 degrees like we do in Heroscape?
Old September 27th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
I've got a good sized collection of X-Wing Miniatures ships, so I'm interested!

However, I can't help but feel that this might end up being less interesting than normal Heroscape since there is no height advantage. That one simple rule is a major, major part of Heroscape strategy. Imagine drafting Heroscape armies and playing on a large empty grass field with no height. Boring!

So I think we'd need to come up with some way to add strategic depth to the game.

How did you handle LOS? A ship can shoot anywhere 360 degrees like we do in Heroscape?
I think Bats hit on something really cool with the idea of higher move/lower range than your normal HS figure. If it's not too complicated having them only be able to shoot in front of them would be cool. It would add a lot of strategy in flanking and things like that, especially if turning around was harder than just rotating the mini.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum