Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Notices

Old November 10th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Question Dump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
People who get sick of answering the same question twice.
Then don't answer their question, someone else will.
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:35 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
My first instinct is to agree that this is a good idea, but I'm sure someone will be along to show me why it's not.
I guess TurtleKing has shown me why this might not be such a good idea - I thought this might be a place for vets to answer questions from newbs while teaching them about how to search and find their own answers in the future, but if people are going to be intentionally lazy, why should they be helped?
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This thread should be referenced in the "Are the old-timers leaving" thread. It explains a lot.
Old November 10th, 2009, 10:46 PM

White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker White Noise knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0scaper View Post
So ridicule is what I get for trying to help. Enjoy your site.
Sorry, I didn't mean it as an insult to anyone personally, merely a joke. I apologise if I've hurt anyone's feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
No matter your feelings towards D&D, it has divided us.
Something tells me that the cancellation, though tragic, may indeed mend that divide...
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:15 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Now! Now! Now! Fast! Fast! Fast! I don't have time to readbecauseI'mtoobusydoingwhateveritisthatIdothatisnotreading-ARGGGH ARGLE BARGLE! :hairpull:

I get that people come to the site and they're excited and they want their answer right away. A lot of communities tolerate that. Some don't. I think this is one that doesn't. The only way to stop being a n00b is to lurk.

When you join an online community (and this is true of just about ANY online community), you get your username and password, maybe make a couple of additions to your profile, and then you just put your head down and shut up.

Just read. Don't post, don't ask questions, just absorb information and culture. Try it for, like, a week, tops and you'll see. After a week, 95% of the questions you WOULD have asked will have been answered already. It is a Universal Fact of the Internet.

I guess there are two schools of thought in conflict here. There's the group of people who want their answer, and there is the group of people who want to LEARN what their answer is.

Old November 10th, 2009, 11:19 PM

Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker Melwing17 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:

Okay, so this is kind of random... but I just read this, then went to the forum homepage and saw at the bottom that the newest registered member is "zeroscaper" http://www.heroscapers.com/community/member.php?u=8495

That was just sorta weird.

I'm selling a bunch of Heroscape stuff to pay for personal emergencies, please see my trade thread post: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=6803
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:29 PM

Zer0scaper is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melwing17 View Post
Quote:

Okay, so this is kind of random... but I just read this, then went to the forum homepage and saw at the bottom that the newest registered member is "zeroscaper" http://www.heroscapers.com/community/member.php?u=8495

That was just sorta weird.
I actually PMed him(or her) "nice username" before this all went down. It ain't me don't worry. Just clearing that up before I go, peace.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
You and Turtleking have done more to make this thread completely useless with chat room behavior, if not locked. If you want to call that help, you are going to get a lot more ridicule. The thread is a nice idea, but it isn't going to work. You are a part of the in thread reasons it won't work. It is only a matter of time before someone starts a thread asking a question that theoretically would be asked here first. I'm all for it if it works, but I don't have that much faith in humanity, and it's already off to a shaky start.

What's the over/under for when someone starts a thread asking a newb question? I would be surprised if we make it to the weekend without it happening.
Old November 11th, 2009, 01:13 AM

Piherculis knows what's in an order marker Piherculis knows what's in an order marker

If I were a stranger analyzing this and had no personal involvement, I would break it down this way:

The existing community dislikes newcomers, because of the extraneous posts that get generated surrounding repetitive questions.

Notice that I qualify those particular posts because it seems that extraneous posts by established members in response to the repetitive questions are not as irksome to the majority of the members of the community, or so I perceive that to be the case.

Yet while the community specifies that there are a certain places and procedures for a newcomer to gain and share knowledge, i.e. board etiquette, it leaves the mechanics of access to those places and procedures completely porous and ubiquitous. That is, a newcomer has the freedom to post anything- anywhere

The crux of the problem can be defined as this:
The established community does not like to see questions asked that have been answered previously on one or multiple occasions, either by recent posts or long-buried but still archived posts.

The immediate and simple answer is to develop a solution where the community likes to answer such questions. The likelihood of this outcome is very low.

The next viable solution is to prevent such questions being asked.

This could be achieved in 3 possible ways.
A. Devise a way that new comers acquire the knowledge before coming to the site, and thus negating the need to ask a question.
B. Devise a way to prevent new comers asking any questions whatsoever.
C. Devise a way that only questions that can be asked are ones that have not been asked before.

You may have said to yourself just now reading solution C; "But that is what the Heroscapers Books and FAQs are for" , and you would be correct. But it does not do this efficiently as the mechanics of the boards still allow posting any content anywhere on the site. There are no active filters or controls. Solution A would be beyond the resources of the community. Solution B is absolutely within the bounds of possibility but perhaps not in the bounds of reason, unless the community collectively decided to close the doors to all people with the exception of certain qualified members.

There are on the other hand thwarts in the form of the threat of getting banned as well as the recent institution of negative reputation. But these are reactive devices that do not solve the problem before hand, and thus the damage already occurs allowing the problem of the unhappiness of the existing community to grow if not linger.

So in conclusion, If there is headway to be made in solving the problem, I predict it will come in some form of a combination of A, B, and C. Perhaps a mechanic where a newcomer is mentored with an existing community member to pass on as much knowledge as possible, and before a newcomer is allowed to join, they must past an examination based on the commonly asked, or most irksomely repeated questions.

It would be an exhaustive endeavor, but it would achieve the goal of reduced redundant posts, and reduced aggravation to and from existing members. Perhaps even achieving more efficient server storage space, and better use of RevDyer's time not deleting posts. Of course everything has consequences, and this would have many, not the least of which would be less opportunity to reprimand someone be they lazy, uninformed, or taunting.

If money can't buy happiness. . . what are you saving it for?
my maps- my terrain - my figs
Old November 11th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Did you know that 5 exclamation points is a sign of insanity?

Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Kroc is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Thanks, Piherculis, for your nicely worded post. But I hope none of the above get implemented, I just wish some people would be more patient with the newbies. Newbies are the lifeblood of our game.

I remember back when people would compliment us on how nice people were on this sight, how welcomed they felt as a newbie. I guess that isn't going to happen any longer.

Instead I read a thread about intolerance, and how intolerance is a good thing. A thread that results in two people saying they won't be posting here anymore. And yet no one is upset at this outcome.

Or better yet I read people razzing people for not searching for old threads then I read another thread razzing someone for necromancing an old thread with a less than breathtaking question.

I know exactly what you mean about the questions being kind of stupid sometimes. I have been feeling like that a lot about the Official rules. But you do have an option, ignore those threads, don't respond to them. Look through the threads for ones you want to repond to. Don't be nasty.

If you can't be tolerant you shouldn't be posting on an open membership forum. Go form your own private club. Give a test before letting anyone join.

Sincerely,

Kevin
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

If a child asks simple questions in the "kids hangout" no one would bat an eye, by that logic if there was a FORUM where any questions could be asked and answered no matter how many times it was asked, without fear of being made fun of, it would reduce redundancy on the message board as a whole.

I happen to like answering questions, and Clearly so do Cavilier, killercactus, and warlord alpha, a few esteemed members around here. A FORUM just to post the Kelda healing herself, Double Spaced Figures on Water, and The line of sight questions (all currnetly on the first page of this forum, would be perfect. Especailly if that fourm was cleared once a month keeping the threads from comming back from the grave.

As a result:
1. New users are not insulted (good for new users)
2. Old timers get to compete to see who is the quickest and clearest at answering questions (good for old timers)
3. useless data does not have to be stored on the server. (good for site)
4. Books stay clean. (good for Rev)

Everybody Wins!

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:03 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Seriously...take some time reading...start here...and then go to the Books for each figure

Hasbro compiled Advanced FAQ - 407KB
That FAQ is out of date, version 8.3; the most up to date version of the Official FAQ is found on this site here, version 9.4

A must read for all 'Scapers!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's