Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old September 15th, 2016, 03:17 PM

Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby! Chachi rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Figure Painting

I would normally HIGHLY suggest Vallejo paints, BUT the HS miniatures aren't that detailed at all. Although, a good primer will help tremendously. Spray primers are ok at best IMHO. Brush on primers are fantastic and can also be shot through an airbrush. Vallejo's black primer is like magic shrink wrap for me. Sprayed or brushed, it is self leveling and is simply amazing. A few drops goes a long way. No need to water down. Usually about $7USD for a large bottle. Availability is the only issue.
Craft paints' pigment is utterly terrible since it is inconsistent and large (i.e. - do NOT try to airbrush it even watered down).
But if you are just brushing on base colors, then it should be ok. Just do not expect amazing results, blending, washing or any other good method.
If you are serious about repainting them to be above the original paint job in terms of quality, you would be better off spending the extra on actual miniature paints (Vallejo, Citadel, P3, Reaper, etc)

PM me about any custom scenery
Old September 15th, 2016, 03:21 PM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Goomonkey View Post
Hmm... I think I'll start with some cheap paints, seeing as they're getting all sorts of love.
I've read at least one article in one of the scale modeling magazines where the author specifically describes using craft paints like Apple Barrel for painting their models, so it's not just a cost-cutting measure. Aside from special effects -- weathering and the like -- the primary thing that the various lines of modeling paints bring to the table is being premixed to particular shades, so that if you're looking to paint the underside of a Bf109 the proper RLM78 Hellblau, you don't have to fiddle around mixing paint to a particular formula and then having excess you need to either seal up or throw out. And particularly with the way camouflage and uniform colors shift in use (look at how much US WWII uniforms varied after only a short time in the field), all that really gives you is a consistent start when you're painting a bunch of figures or vehicles over time. With most fantasy figures, you don't even need that, and if you're not trying for competition-quality paint jobs the pricier lines of paint are often overkill.
Old September 15th, 2016, 03:25 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Oh...figure painting...Sorry wrong turn. I thought is said finger painting...out of my league here. bye.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:24 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
I would normally HIGHLY suggest Vallejo paints, BUT the HS miniatures aren't that detailed at all. Although, a good primer will help tremendously. Spray primers are ok at best IMHO. Brush on primers are fantastic and can also be shot through an airbrush. Vallejo's black primer is like magic shrink wrap for me. Sprayed or brushed, it is self leveling and is simply amazing. A few drops goes a long way. No need to water down. Usually about $7USD for a large bottle. Availability is the only issue.
Craft paints' pigment is utterly terrible since it is inconsistent and large (i.e. - do NOT try to airbrush it even watered down).
But if you are just brushing on base colors, then it should be ok. Just do not expect amazing results, blending, washing or any other good method.
If you are serious about repainting them to be above the original paint job in terms of quality, you would be better off spending the extra on actual miniature paints (Vallejo, Citadel, P3, Reaper, etc)
This is actually a good point. I try to match Heroscape's style so I don't want to do a much better job that the factory paint job. Usually I just pick 3 colors and layer them on then apply a wash. In the end my painted figures match the Heroscape style and stand up to punishment.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 15th, 2016, 09:44 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

I certainly wasn’t trying to be some sort of wanna-be paint snob when I suggested the more expensive hobby paints. The Dr.Goomonkey said:

Quote:
I don't want to spend too much money, if I can help it, but would like a good quality set of paints and brushes and whatever else I should buy.
So I assumed that he didn't want to use craft paints.

Up until recently I have only used craft paints myself. I have bunches of Apple Barrel, Delta Creamcoat, Americana, Folk Art, etc. It just happens that one day I was in a FLS looking around and, seeing the paint, I was reminded that I needed a couple of colors. I didn’t want to go all the way across town to get my normal craft paint so I reluctantly purchased a couple of bottles of P3. The frst time I used it I couldn’t believe what a difference there was between it and my craft paints. It was thinner, creamier, and smoother than any of the others. It also covered much better and was just a joy to work with. I then decided to try a couple of Vallejo as well and had a very similar experience.

For me it isn’t really about being able to achieve better results with one over the other. I don’t have enough experience to know if you can or not. For me it boils down to the fact that, for me, the premium paints are just much more enjoyable to paint with. I see what you guys can do with craft paint and it surpasses anything I can do with ANY paint. I need all the help I can get.

I think that it is a good idea when starting out to get a few craft paints along with a few model paints. That way, before you get too invested, you can see for yourself whether you prefer one over the other.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.

Last edited by keglo; September 16th, 2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old September 16th, 2016, 08:30 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Librarian

wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth wriggz is a man of the cloth

In an order from Reaper I got a Topical Blue for free (the only model paint I have).

It turns out it is the perfect shade for Mind-flayers, and one that I had a hell of time trying to approximated. It is true that it was a bit better to work with but for now the cost outweighs the benefits.

That said, good brushes are good if you take care of them, and you would be surprised how much value toothpicks and pins can be for detail work.

wriggz's custom Figures, Terrain and Glyphs
Old September 17th, 2016, 10:12 PM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Just saw this thread and thought I'd give you my two cents as a retired figure painter.

I used all Citadel Paints, brushes, washes, sealers etc. for my painted figures and they work really well. It's true that they are costly (I think they can go for $8 a canister now at some stores) but if you're looking for quality, Citadel is what you should go for.

I wish I could get back into painting myself, but college work and finishing up High School comes first haha. I wish you luck!
Old September 20th, 2016, 09:58 AM

DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby! DocBlizz rolls all skulls baby!

This guy has some of the best tutorials and info ive ever seen and very consice fantastic resource for painting minis: Miniature painting 101 with Robert Oren: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...68RPBBAuVc_Hfh
Old September 20th, 2016, 10:11 AM

srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby! srmalloy rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
That said, good brushes are good if you take care of them, and you would be surprised how much value toothpicks and pins can be for detail work.

One of the things you will learn if you don't start with it -- good brushes will pay for themselves over time. Cheap brushes don't stand up to use unless you take really good care of them, and even then they're going to degrade. There are a number of guides to taking care of your paint brushes, but the biggest part of it is making sure that you clean your paintbrushes well and don't let paint dry in them; that's usually the root cause from which all other problems arise.

For your first steps into painting, you can get away with cheap brushes while you decide whether this is something you can get into, but if you get serious, buy good brushes.
Old September 21st, 2016, 12:06 AM

JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness JC McMinis wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by srmalloy View Post
One of the things you will learn if you don't start with it -- good brushes will pay for themselves over time. Cheap brushes don't stand up to use unless you take really good care of them, and even then they're going to degrade. There are a number of guides to taking care of your paint brushes, but the biggest part of it is making sure that you clean your paintbrushes well and don't let paint dry in them; that's usually the root cause from which all other problems arise.

For your first steps into painting, you can get away with cheap brushes while you decide whether this is something you can get into, but if you get serious, buy good brushes.
All very true. I use both good brushes and some cheap ones. I will quite oftern lay a base color down with a cheap testors brush. The stiffer bristles are good for getting in the cracks of the figure. And then use my goods brushes for all the detail work. This figure is a perfect example.

I used a cheap brush to lay down a brown coat on all the rocky parts and a dark blue coat on the shorts. Then using a nicer brush and a drybrushing technique, I put the various oranges and ligter blues on it and then a liner brush to do the detail work such as the eyes and the symbol on his belt.

Last edited by JC McMinis; September 22nd, 2016 at 06:52 AM.
Old September 21st, 2016, 11:27 AM
The Animator

JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby! JairEmia rolls all skulls baby!

Hey on the off chance you havent made up your mind yet, and having just started painting miniatures myself here is my 2 pennies.

Army painter makes a very nice starter set and its rather cheap too, won't cost much more than buying craft paints individually and will have finer more concentrated pigments allowing you to thin it more without breaking the paint. Kit also comes with a nice set of starter instructions, a mud brown ink wash and a perfect metallic paint for swords and armor.

https://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-...s=army+painter

I also picked up the inkwash kit, cause its better to wash with an ink that is similar to the base coat color, though you could simply wash everything with the brown ink wash with decent results.

https://www.amazon.com/Army-Painter-...0AHTRRKNF2EB8E

This is the first brush kit I bought, it served me well even though i have moved on to more expensive brushes now.

https://www.amazon.com/Detail-Paint-...iature+brushes

Now if your planning on doing a complete repaint I would suggest priming the figure first. I used Tamiya fine Surface Primer on the figures in the pictures below followed at the end of the painting by a coat of testors Dullcote for protection. This will not give a look similar to heroscape figures though so maybe someone else can help with that.

I would say start painting with a figure that you don't care about too much, cause your first repaint will be your worst. Just remember practice makes perfect and try to have fun with it.

Come check out my heroscape .gif Images.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=30039
Old September 22nd, 2016, 02:54 PM
On vacation...

Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dr.Goomonkey is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JairEmia View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Detail-Paint-...iature+brushes

Now if your planning on doing a complete repaint I would suggest priming the figure first. I used Tamiya fine Surface Primer on the figures in the pictures below followed at the end of the painting by a coat of testors Dullcote for protection. This will not give a look similar to heroscape figures though so maybe someone else can help with that.

What color primer do you think would have the best results? It seems like black is recommended by a lot of people, but I don't really know how the different colors affect it.

Repaints My Maps Online Maps Customs
Q3C Custom Contests
How can you tell which kid at the playground is going to grow up to be a trombone player?
Spoiler Alert!
CoN is FuN

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions