Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:40 AM

Jed Starkiller has disabled reputation
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

I love HS of course but also love to play the Board Game Axis and Allies!

"Bob, Im not Kirk, Im Skywalker, Luke Skywalker." - Col. Jack O'Neill
Old July 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
I love HS of course but also love to play the Board Game Axis and Allies!

We play this a lot on Saturdays when we have nothing else to do. The problem is the time it takes to play...

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:30 AM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I played Warhammer last night! It ended up being a draw between the Lizards and the High Elves.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:15 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

I just feel compelled to throw out another recommendation of Race for the Galaxy. Not only did the game group love it, but my brother asked to play a second game immediately after the first. He hardly ever asks to play a game again, and never asks to play something back to back!

I'm 0 for 2 and I still loved every second of both games!
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM
Assuming the Missionary Position

Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby! Drumline3469 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooblar View Post
I just feel compelled to throw out another recommendation of Race for the Galaxy. Not only did the game group love it, but my brother asked to play a second game immediately after the first. He hardly ever asks to play a game again, and never asks to play something back to back!

I'm 0 for 2 and I still loved every second of both games!

RftG and Dominion are all we've been playing lately and we have some amazing games that are getting ousted by these two. We played our first 5-man Dominion earlier this week and it went fairly well. I love it with Intrigue.

Drumline3469 is Doc Brown...
aboard <<<Oblivion>>> ...
Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:12 PM

smileydude560 Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by smileydude560 View Post
Played a game of Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition today. Fun, but it takes to much time. My friends and I are going to stick with 'scape from now on.
I wouldn't give up on other games because you played a monster of a game. Try again with a game that you can finish in a reasonable amount of time!

Jim
</IMG>
No, I mean we have played TI:3 too much recently, and they want to play more scape. I'm happy to oblige.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlikkRikk View Post
Just played a wonderful game of LNoE with the Save the Townsfolk scenario. Poor Jake got stuck in a building with 6 zombies, and after surviving the previous encounter with his Heroic Resolve card, tried to exit the building on his next turn. Unfortunately for him, it was a Locked Door. He made it past five of the zombies, but the sixth ate him up and ended the game with the four heroes' death rule.
I may be wrong, but I thought Save the Townsfolk was one of the scenarios where the Zombie player only had to kill two heroes to win. I love this scenario, by the way: it tends to be a real challenge for the heroes and poses the interesting dilemma of when to use one of the townsfolk cards you've discovered for its power and when to save it for the victory conditions. It's also one of the more thematic scenarios.

Bunjee and I, along with another friend of ours, have finally started a Descent: Road to Legend campaign. We've already played twice this week but are just starting the third level of our first dungeon. It's a bit slow-going but I expect we'll pick up speed as we play more. We're already excited about spending XP and powering up our characters!
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Great pics, Jormi_Boced!! Looks like a fun game.

Played the WWI version of Wings of War last night and had a blast. We used one of the new playmats along with the miniatures and it looked great. We also started using the damage icons on the cards and felt that added a lot to the game (we've kept them out before because everyone was new to the game but we will use them from now on).

Newb.
Old July 24th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilNewbie View Post
Great pics, Jormi_Boced!! Looks like a fun game.
Thanks!

This weekend I should get a ton of gaming in at Jordal-Con
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:20 PM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

Last night I got to play about 7 glorious games of Crokinole. My wife liked it just as much as I do, so that is a good sign. Then we played a game of Pandemic. We played on normal difficulty and would have won on the next turn when a double outbreak beat us. It was a good game, and we will hopefully do better next time.
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:20 PM

I made a report if anyone is interested.

The other night I got in a game or Warhammer with Ryan. He brought 2150 pts. of High Elves to attack my 2150 pts. of Lizardmen.

His list was:
Eltharion on Stormwing
Mage level 2- Steed - Ring of Fury, Silver Wand
Mage level 2 - Steed - Dispel Scroll, Jewel of the Dusk
Noble - DA, Lance, Barded Steed - Reaver Bow, Enchanted Shield
10 Archers
10 Lothern Sea Guard
10 Lothern Sea Guard
5 Ellyrian Reavers
5 Silver helms
5 Dragon Princes
1 Great Eagle
2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
5 Shadow Warriors

My list was:
Old Blood on Carnosaur
Skink Priest on Engine of the Gods
Skink Priest
Scar Vet
11 Skink Skirmishers with Blowpipes
3 Terradons
3 Kroxigors
1 Stegadon
1 Salamander with an extra handler
1 Salamander with an extra handler

I rolled Second sign of Amul on my lone Skink Priest and I got Comet of Cassondora and Celestial Shield for my Skink Priest on the Engine of the Gods.

He rolled Drain Life and Dark Hand of Death on Eltharion. The Mage with 3 spells had Courage of Aenarion, Flames of the Phoenix and Vaul's Unmaking and the Mage with two 2 spells had Shield of Saphery and Flames of the Phoenix.

The deployment looked like this:

After deployment I nominated Eltharion for my Bane Head Target.

I made a general advance with most of my units. A dumb thing I did was get my Old Blood outside of my Fambaa shield generator

The magic phase was uneventful. I didn't get my reroll or the comet off and I saved my other two dice for the Diadem.

The only shooting I got off was one death on the Shadow Warriors from a salamander. The Bolt Thower whiffed big time as expected. The one death on the Shadow Warriors did cause a panic though.

The High Elves advanced their cavalry and set up a great eagle to redirect my Krox right into the forest. I didn't like that so much.

The magic wasn't too rough on me the first turn, but losing a terradon before they dropped rocks and spooking them out of the game for a turn was pretty annoying.

The shooting this round was tough on me. My foolish move out of the EotG bubble left my Old Blood on Carno vulnerable, but luckily he is tough and survived with 3 wounds placed on the Carno and none on the well protected Old Blood. The really hurtful thing that happened this turn though was his specially trained sniper bolt thrower operators were once again able to snipe my Skink Priest off the top of the EotG on the first turn.

I charged thd DPs with my Old Blood and they fled. I also charged Eltharion with my Scar Vet out of the Krox unit and my EotG. Eltharion also fled. I left my Krox where they were so they wouldn't be stuck in the forest for a while. I figured my Skinks could take care of him. I ended up using my skinks on the left to redirect the silver helms and moved some other skinks to protect my Carnosaur from the bolt throwers.

Shooting was fairly uneventful for me this turn except for the obvious bird slaughtered by 22 poison darts.

This movement phase was great for me as his DPs failed to rally and left the game!!! Elthatrion did rally though, I couldn't get that lucky He charged my Skinks with the silver helms and the Shadow Warriors engaged my Salamander in the forest.

The HE magic was luckily not too terrible for me this turn even though I lost a lot of defense. It did hurt a salamander with Flames of the Phoenix.

His shooting was once again fairly brutal. I knew I was in trouble leaving my Scar Vet out in the open like that, but the chance to catch Eltharion was so tempting and cathing him would have been so awesome. So I lost my Scar Vet and took some more wounds in a few places.

We had our first combats this turn and neither of them were ones that I chose which usually doesn't bode well, but I liked the Salamander match up. The Skinks were decimated as I anticipated, but they took the Silver Helms South which I liked. The Salamander ended up taking a wound and not causing any So combat drew and we went to the next turn.

Turn 3 movement saw no charges from me unfortunately, but I jockeyd for better position.

Shooting was basically a wash this turn. I killed a few elves but ate a few Skinks. I did have an interesting situation come up though where the rules are a bit vague. The Salamanders say they are not monsters, but they take a leadership test if all the handlers are killed. If they fail that test they are supposed to roll on the monster reaction table. Can they use the general's leadership? We ended up rolling for it. My opponent thought that they couldn't because under the monster rules for slain rider it says they have to use their own, but I though they could maybe use the generals, since their rule specifically states that they are not monsters, that would mean the monster rules wouldn't apply to them and they would treat it like any other leadership test.

Combat between the Salamander and Shadow Warriors saw them trade blows, so I won combat, but they held. It was too bad we didn't trade blows last time or I didn't get one more wound in this time, because then I could have auto broke him with my fear. I was mostly just sick of having my flaming fear causer tied up in combat so long.

I got charged a bit this turn, but both the bolt thrower crews cowered in fear at the sight of my mighty dinos.

This round of magic was farily devestating for me as Eltharion got off Drain life in the midst of a bunch of my units. The worst parts were taking out half the Krox unit before it got a chance to fight Eltharion and taking out the Salamander before another combat wasn't nice either. I really didn't appreciate my last remaining vestige of magic defense being blown up either. That skink priest had a scroll too and would have used it if not for the double sixes on three dice

Thanks to the failed terror test this round of shoting wasn't very rough on me.

Thanks to the spell my skinks were slaugtered withouth the protection of the salamander and the Krox were at a terrible disadvantage in combat and ran down.

Great success! My Old Blood got into Combat. My ancient Stegadon ran some LSG off the board and I dropped 5 strength 4 rocks on Eltharion. I don't remember if any wounds made it throught from the rocks, but I do know what remained after shooting.

This was a fun round of shooting. All told Eltharion took 5 hits from the rocks at the end of the movement phase, 6 poisoned javelins, one poisoned bolt and 22 poisoned darts! This killed Eltharion and left Stormwing very bloody with only one wound remaining.

Combat on turn 4 saw my Old blood decimate his LSG as he used my skinks in battle to get some combat res. It wasn't enough. Two skinks remained and my old blood ran through their position.

One Bolt Thrower crew rallied, but the other continued to flee. Stormwing stumbled forward stupidly thanks to his monster reaction table roll. His reavers charged my two skinks, and those dang Shadow Warriors were still harassing me as they dove into my skinks that were just finishing celebrating the demise of the enemy genereal. The SHs tried to close on my Old Blood as well.

I weathered this magic phase pretty well.

Shooting was also fairly tame thanks to the running BTs and all the LSG had been eliminated.

The Reavers tore through my skinks which was no big surprise, however I thought my skinks would have done better vs. the Shadow Warriors, but they couldn't hit at all and ended up getting ran through.

My frenzied Carnosaur had to charge the bolt thrower crew and that forced them to flee off the board. My Stegadon decided to take care of those pesky Shadow Warriors.

My turn 5 shooting did nothing for me. I was hoping to get one poison javelin to hit on Stormwing, but alas that didn't occur.

Combat was good for me this turn though as my Stegadon dispatched the rest of the Shadow Warriors.

Nothing major this movement phase just some jockeying for position and Stormwing getting the heck out of Dodge.

Mor uneventful shooting. My Old Blood and Carnosaur were deflecting any thing that hit them with their armor, and everyonce in a while the Old Blood would even need the power of the old ones to save him in the form of a pretty necklace.

Magic wasn't fun this turn as my Terradons got torn up.

I attempted to charge Stormwing with my last Slamander. I was hoping I would get the last wound on him before he could swing back, but I failed my fear test and sat still. The rest of my movement was just to be prepared solidify the table quarter I was in as I couldn't get to any ohters.

Stormwing charged my Salamander and the rest of his units solidified two table quarters.

Stormwing charged in at the end, but was unable to connect and the Salamander got to remove that last wound anyway!

The day ended in a draw with both sides looking pretty worse for wear. It was a great game and I think I learned a bit more from it. One other question that came up was moving salamander hunting packs through the woods. They do not suffer a movement penalty since they are skirmished, right? We though so, but we weren't sure if there was a rule like the shooting rule?
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've been playing a lot of Pocket Civ lately. It was suggested by LongHeroscaper in the Game Course - Game ideas thread that Fomox started. Ive played roughly a dozen games. So far Ive only made it to through the 8 eras once scoring 344 Glory. Best thing about this game is its free print and play. I have the computer version download which makes things much easier and faster. I do plan to build my own game board version of this though. Great suggestion LH!

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games