Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old July 5th, 2007, 11:40 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
Guide to help new Heroscapers buy more Heroscape

I have a friend who is looking to get into Heroscape, so I've been giving him purchasing advice. I thought this might be a nice list to put together for people like my friend who don't usually know which figures come in which packs but want to expand their collection past their first Master Set.

I also thought it would be interested to see which individual packs and waves/collections are the most worth our money based on their usefulness.

I've left off the terrain expansion army cards because I figure people generally purchase those mainly for the terrain.

Using Spider Poison's Power Rankings, here are the grades for each expansion and Collection/Wave.

I have dropped the lowest grade from any pack that has more than two army cards when averaging its score. I have dropped the lowest 2 grades of a wave when averaging its score.

This is using the GPA scale as follows:
A+=4.33
A=4.00
A-=3.66
B+=3.33
B=3.00
B-=2.66
C+=2.33
C=2.00
C-=1.66
D+=1.33
D=1.00
D-=0.66
F=0.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy
You have to be careful with this list, ecspecially if your a new collector. Most of those grades were given with the idea that you would have multiple sets. Take the Grut Orc expansion. Even though the units in there get some really high grades, they are only useful en masse. You will need to buy more than one of the expansion to realize the grades Spider Poison gave.
For the new buyer, what Chimpy is saying is that common squads and heroes are almost always better used when playing with multiples of those army cards. This is something it takes many players a while to understand, so please view the asterisks below.

Also, I've put notes beside the heroes and squads whose grade is based, in part, on its ability to interact with other heroes or squads.

* denotes common squads that are usually only/more effective with multiple army cards.

** denotes common heroes that are usually only/more effective with mutiple army cards.

COLLECTION 1 MALLIDDON'S PROPHECY-B
Heroes of Bleakwood-B
Kelda-C
Marcus-A-
Taelord-C
Tornak-C+ Best when used with Blade Gruts (Collection 1) and/or Heavy Gruts (Collection 6)
Venoc Warlord-B Works well with Venoc Vipers (Collection 1), Armoc Vipers (Collection 4), and/or Aubrian Archers (Collection 4)
Grut Orcs-A-
*Arrow Gruts-A best if used with Beasts like Krug (Collection 2), Swog Rider (Collection 2), and Mimring (Master Set 1)
*Blade Gruts-B+ best if used with an Orc Champion like Tornak (Collection 1) or Grimnak (Master Set 1)
Snipers and Vipers -B
*Omnicron Snipers-B+
*Venoc Vipers-B- Best when used with Venoc Warlord (Collection 1)
The IX Roman Legion-B
*Roman Archers-C
*Roman Legionnaires-ABest when used with a Warlord like Marcus (Collection 1), Me-Burq-Sa (Collection 2), or Ne-Gak-Sa (Master Set 1)

COLLECTION 2 UTGAR'S RAGE-A-
Heroes of Barrenspur-B+
Khosumet-D-
Krug-A Works well with Arrow Gruts (Collection 1)
Me-Burq-Sa-A
Sir Denrick-B-
Minions and Drones-A-
*Marro Drones-B+
*Minions of Utgar-A
Devourers and Minutemen-B+
*4th Massachusetts Line-A+
*Anubian Wolves-C+
Knights and the Swog-A
*Knights of Weston-A Best is used with a Human Champion like Sir Dendrick (Collection 2), Finn (Master Set 1), or Thorgrim (Master Set 1)
**Swog Rider-A best if used with Archer Gruts (Collection 1)

Orm's Return:Heroes of Laur-C
Brunak-C+
Charos-B-
Dund-D
Deathwalker 8000-C-
Su-Bak-Na-B-

COLLECTION 3 JANDAR'S OATH-B-
Heroes of Nostralund-B-
Alastair MacDirk-B+
Concan-B
Deathwalker 7000-F
Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan-C+
Saylind-C+
Gorillas and Hounds-B-
*Gorillinators-B- helped tremendously by the Nakita Agents (Collection 6)
*Marrden Hounds-B
Kilts and Commandos-B-
*MacDirk Warriors-B- best when used with a Human Champion like Alastair MacDirk (Collection 3), Finn (Master Set 1), Thorgrim(Master Set 1)
*Microcorp Agents-B-
Monks and Guards-C+
*Sentinels of Jandar-B-
*Shaolin Monks-C+

COLLECTION 4 ZANAFOR'S DISCOVERY-B-
Heroes of Trollsford-C-
Major X17-C
Morsbane-D+
Valguard-C+
Parmenio-C-
Sudema-D+
Lawmen and Samurai-B
Deadeye Dan-C+
Guilty McCreech-B
James Murphy-B
Tagawa Samurai-B
Soulborgs and Elves-A-
*Aubrian Archers-A- enhanced greatly by Venoc Warlord (Collection 1)
*Gladiatrons-A best when used with Blastatrons (Collection 5)
Greeks and Vipers--B
*Armoc Vipers-B Best when used with Venoc Warlord (Collection 1)
Sacred Band-B* Best when used with an Einar Warlord like Parmenio(Collection 4) or Marcus (Collection 1)

Raknar's Vision: Heroes of Lindesfarm-A-
Braxas-A
Jotun-B-
Major Q9-A+
Nilfheim-A
Theracus-B

COLLECTION 5 THORA'S VENGEANCE-B+
Warriors and Soulborgs-A-
*Deathreavers-A+
*Warriors of Ashra-B
Gladiators and Agents-B-
Crixus-B
Nakita Agents-B+
Retiarius-C
Spartacus-F
Ninjas and Samurai-B
Kozuke Samurai-B
Ninjas of the Northern Wind-B
Soulborgs-B
*Blastatrons-A Best when used with Gladiatrons(Collection 4)
*Deathstalkers-C+

COLLECTION 6 DAWN OF DARKNESS-B-
Heroes of Durgeth-B
Eldgrim-B
Kaemon Awa-A
Kee-Mo-Shi-B-
Kiova-C+
Runa-C-
Shades and Orcs-B-
*Heavy Gruts-B+ Best if used with an Orc Champion like Tornak (Collection 1) or Grimnak (Master Set 1)
*Shades of Bleakwoode-C
Archers and Kyrie-C+
*Einar Imperium-C
*Tagawa Samurai Archers-B-
Zombie Horde-B
*Zombies of Morindan(x2)-B

COLLECTION 7 FIELDS OF VALOR-?
Heroes of Elswin
Cyprien Esenwein
Sonya Esenwein
Warden 816
Kyntela
Isuma
Fiends and Vampires
Iskra Esenwein
Marcu Esenwein
Rechets of Bogdon
Knights Templar
*Templar Cavalry
Spearmen and Riflemen
*Ashigaru Harquebus
*Ashigaru Yari

Note: A Wave's grade is the average of all Army Cards (minus the lowest two grades), NOT the average of the four packs.

Note #2: Whenever possible, it's best to buy them all.
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Cool!
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:47 PM

insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker insomnimaniac knows what's in an order marker
Very interesting. I like what you've done and helps out very much. Looking it over, it might make it easier to pick armies as well. I like it alot.
Old July 5th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Messy Eater

Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby! Wytefang rolls all skulls baby!
I've also whipped up a little organized Word document that lists every HS figure up to Wave 6 (I guess I'll have to update it now) by set and by general. It's in the downloads section under Misc or Everything else (I forget what the area is called).

Your post is very helpful - maybe it'll get stickied. They say that the 'Sticky Fairy' only comes out at night or when GrungeBob is around for some reason.

Old July 5th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Hmm. I'm not sure I agree with some of these grades...

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:04 AM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Hmm. I'm not sure I agree with some of these grades...
Do you mean the grades of the individual army cards or the averages?
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I made a link to this thread from the index of unit strategies:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...=117992#129091

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
I made a link to this thread from the index of unit strategies:

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...=117992#129091
Thanks. I hope it's helpful to someone.
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:00 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I love it

This is one of those ideas I look at and think "why hasn't this already been done?" It takes a measurement which has a great deal of popular support and uses it to assist in answering the "what should I buy?" question. I have one recommendation on methodology. I think you might consider using the average of the top two units, but at the very least should drop the lowest grade when averaging the unique packs. Barrenspur has the amazing Krug and the extremely useful MBS, but Khosumet makes the pack look bad. Crixus and the Nakitas are paying for Spartacus' sins. In my mind dropping a bad grade or two from the averaging puts the grades of the unique packs back into their proper perspective from a "buyers guide" point of view.

~Aldin, curious as to the grade of the MS but too lazy to figure it out on his own

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:13 AM

mnguy12000 Woo who?
I think if your friend is just starting out, I would have him buy hero packs only until he really gets into it. We all know to make the commons effective you need at least 2 of each and that can get really expensive.

I know some people that quit the game because of its costs, they see every pack and think "my god! 9.99 for each!" but if you can get him to focus on the heros that is only 6 packs plus the larger boxes
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:12 PM

Xaqery is surprisingly tart
Hsisforcoolkids, that’s a very nice list.

I have put some thought into this. I recently bought packs for my sons friend's birthday who is just now learning the game and has almost nothing so far.

Those letter grades that Spider_posion made are very useful but abilities that have a large random factor are often given a low grade and rightfully so. This is true even if the ability the low grade figure has is lots of fun when it works. My sons often choose the lower grade figures because they remember those times when they did work, it was fun, and they want that to happen again. So while I wanted to buy the most effective I realized that my kids dont care about effective as much as fun.

But, as I first browsed the various packs online trying to decide what to buy I thought that I should buy the packs that were the most fun. When I went to pick some of them I realized that many are only fun if you also have some other packs.

So, for me the parameters needed to buy for a new player were
1 - What can stand alone.
2 - What is fun.
3 - What is effective.

I ended up buying Heroes of Bleakwood, Heroes of Barrenspur, and two packs of Snipers and Vipers. I think he will like them.

- Dwight

Reality is the fantasy of the majority
Old July 6th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
This is a great idea. So the best pack you can get right now is Knights And The Swog Rider (acording to power rankings). Cool!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion