Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old October 8th, 2006, 11:28 AM

D'Hoffryn has disabled reputation
How many castles sets?

If this question was posed and addressed elsewhere, my apologies.

How many castle sets is everyone buying?
How many does it take to build a decent castle?

I do not yet have a castle set in hand and am having trouble gauging just how many I'll need for a good castle assault scenario. It would be good to take advantage of that Hasbro deal while it's still on...

I recall something in the first post about the castle set when it was first seen at a con many months back. The description said it took I think 4 sets to build such a castle.

www.classicminiatures.net - casting for the love of old miniatures, especially Heritage
Old October 8th, 2006, 11:32 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Re: How many castles sets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Hoffryn
How many castle sets is everyone buying?
I got 2; I think that is probably close to the average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Hoffryn
How many does it take to build a decent castle?
You get so much with the castle set, you can make a really nice castle with just one set.

You get two and I think you will be more than happy with amount of terrrain and size of castle you can build.... or go nuts and get 4

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Bixby knows what's in an order marker Bixby knows what's in an order marker
If 4 = Nuts, What does 12 equal?

(I bought 12)
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness
12 is pretty dang ridiculous I would say. I can't imagine how many master sets you would need to use all of that...

I mean, the ginormous gencon one only used HALF that many and it used 20 master sets....

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I have 2 sets. The only thing that leaves me wanting for more are the ladders. Here is a map I set up and played this weekend with 2 castles, 4 tundras and about 3 or 4 master sets: Castle Mij
FYI, the TRU in my area are having a buy one get the second for 1/2 price sale. It includes Heroscape. I don't know if they have castles, but it's worth investigating. (where are those flagbearers when I need them?!?)
Old October 8th, 2006, 12:52 PM

Su-Bak-Na knows what's in an order marker Su-Bak-Na knows what's in an order marker
I have 2 and tnats all I'll need. I,ve been able to build some pretty big castles, towers, ect. so far.
I'd say that's a good amount.

Never negotiate the truth. - Serj Tankian

Trade List: Please contact with offers. http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ostcount=10010
Old October 8th, 2006, 01:01 PM

OneTime has disabled reputation
I've been building castles today with the 2 sets I bought last night. I'm pretty happy that I bought both of them and not just one. You can build some nice castles with 2 sets.

On the other hand, I'm glad I didn't grab all 3 sets off the self at Walmart. I only have 3 master sets, the Tundra, and the RTTFF. If I had more castles, I don't think I'd be able to fit in with my current terrain.
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Rodriquez has disabled reputation
Ive got 7 sets...
bought one when they come out and had 6 on order..

good trades:Caravaggio, Gabbi, Drfeelgood,aljovin,vydar,rrhino,boom, Pallindromemaster, spidysox, Eckels, wytefang, Rym, Armegeddon, Fatboy Chubby, Forgehammer, Grison
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:02 PM

Bixby knows what's in an order marker Bixby knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjosiah
12 is pretty dang ridiculous I would say. I can't imagine how many master sets you would need to use all of that...

I mean, the ginormous gencon one only used HALF that many and it used 20 master sets....
We play with 16 MS and 12 of all the other Terrain sets. Possibly getting a few more Master sets. (Our maps are somewhat, "largeish")
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:05 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I have four, which makes an awesome castle. The bad part about the castle sets is the parts are awkwardly counted out....they give you too many curved walls and not enough straight walls or end pieces I think. And far too few ladders, large wall walk pieces, and battlements.

I'd like about 2 more sets, mostly for the straight walls, battlements, wall walk pieces, and ladders.

My goal is to make an all-castle map that covers the majority of my gaming table.
Old October 8th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Heroscape Architect Extraordinaire

caravaggio is surprisingly tart
i dont know why i feel it necessary to add to my 2 cents but here it is. the number of castle sets is definately determined in part by the number of master sets. exceeding a 1 to 1 ratio of castles to MS is definately not recommended. i would even say that 1 castle to 2 mastersets is a little "castle heavy" but perhaps a good goal. i dont think i will exceede 5 castles to my 10 mastersets (if i even reach it). i have 3 castles now and havent yet used them all to build a large castle yet but my hawthore manor was built with 2. i thiink that 3 (or maybe even 2.5) would make a realy impressive castle so i really think twice before buying more than 3 castles unless you just really love them. 2 castles still makes a very fun castle suitable for any castle onslaught scenario (ssuming you have atleast 4 MS to keep the castles at 1:2 or less).

however, i am not too interested i a big castle siege adventure. rather, i am more interested in making more open maps with mulitple smaller points of interest. for this, 1 castle set will really go a long way i think. the small "metamap" i made for netherspirits contest (available in the downloads section) was made using probably less than 1/4 of the peices in a castle set. so i would argue that a really good nd versitile and "classic" "small" collection of heroscape would include 3 MS, 3 forests, and 1 castle. lava, snow (though its beautiful) and multiple castle sets are just gravy.

hope this helps and that others agree...
Old October 8th, 2006, 07:16 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I have 6 1/2 Master Sets, roughly.

I have 4 castles. I agree that a ratio of 1 castle to 2 MS is probably good if you intend on building castles on normal maps. If, like me, you want to build an entire battleground that is set within a city/castle environment, you're going to need a lot more. I'm shooting for 6, possibly 8.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion