Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Old September 20th, 2009, 01:32 AM

Hal0fan117 is surprisingly tart
Battle Spirits

Just got back from AWA, day 2 of my 3 day extravagasm, and have to say this card game looks cool. I demoed it a few times and then picked up a starter with my friend. It's been less than 24 hours and he's already buying boosters.

The game is simple and easy to learn, but that's not to say it isn't complex. It reminds me of Magic the Gathering XXX Duel Masters. I think if you have a con in your area and haven't played this game, it's worth your time to give it a try.

Anyway, if you HAVE heard of this game, I'm thinking of building a Green-Purple deck, and was wondering if I could get some help on that. I'd post a decklist, but I don't know if anybody's heard of it yet, and I don't know if I'll be sticking with Green-Purple.

Anyway, just thought I would mention it. If you like links...
http://www.bandaicg.com/battlespirits/
http://www.bandaicg.com/battlespirit...php?title=KISS

Somebody told me this was the most popular game in Japan right now, but it was a convention. The Cake is a lie, I lost the game, and 10 dollars to whoever can figure out how to get the marble out of this Ramune bottle without breaking it. Any girls wanna play the Pocky game? Going back tomorrow to pick up some boosters, among other things. Post if you even know what this game is and have formed an opinion.

2013, Still alive.
Old September 21st, 2009, 08:08 AM

viperhoops10 has disabled reputation
Re: Battle Spirits

I hadn't heard of the game before this post, but after seeing it I read a couple reviews and looked through the rules a little. And it seems that their is never incentive to have 1 or 2 big monsters instead of 4 or 5 little monsters, have you found this to be true?

On their website they do have a coupon you can mail in that will get you a free starter deck, two per household and I will be getting those.

I think I would like to play a purple/white or purple/red deck I'll have to play a game or two first and see.

My Collection: Everything except Templar, Greeks and Vipers, Kilts and Commandos
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:22 AM

Yes, having a lot of smaller monsters has been helpful in the games I've played. Suiciding into a monster to exhaust it then taking out some life is typically the move I go for, but I'm only playing with 3 starters and 8 packs. Some spells out there can blow a field away. One guy played me at the con on Sunday and used a spell that took one core off every spirit, killing all my spirits and winning him the game.

Thanks for the coupon tip. I'll have to have my brothers send in some coupons.

2013, Still alive.
Old September 22nd, 2009, 06:26 PM

It's good too know their is more than one way to win, although from what I've seen purple seems to be the best color right now. Since you've played more than I have maybe you know better.

I'm curious to see how the two new colors coming out will effect the game (yellow and blue).

My Collection: Everything except Templar, Greeks and Vipers, Kilts and Commandos
Old September 23rd, 2009, 12:05 AM

The two decks you can get for free are demo decks, and they have different colored backs, so they aren't legal for use in tournaments...or anywhere else for that matter. But they are incredibly fun to play with, and better than the starters.

It seems like Purple is card control, Green is core control, Red is attack and White is Defensive. The best deck I've seen is a Purple Green deck, more green than purple. Purple cards tend to have higher costs, so it's a good pairing with green. Among my friends, the green red deck I have seems to be working best, but then most of the rarer cards we have are for those colors.

I haven't gotten a chance to check the new set list, I'll check it now.

2013, Still alive.
Old September 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Oh I didn't know that, but still it is much better than no support for the game. I might wait to get into the game until set 3 when blue/sapphire comes out. I want to run a blue/white deck that plays defense and runs out the opponents deck. It might be better in theory then it actually works though.

Old September 24th, 2009, 11:50 PM

I'll stick with it from the beginning. I haven't gotten into a card game at release since Legend of the White Dragon boosters.

Until pack 3, which I guess would come out next spring or so? Play around with the demos, fun as hell.

2013, Still alive.
Old September 25th, 2009, 01:23 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

1) From bandai. Not a good start there.
2) <5.0 rating on BGG.com. Terrible.
3) Suffers from YGO "350000000 is WAY better than 35!!1one" syndrome.
4) Steals M:tG terms ("permanent"). No-no.
5) Looks like crap. And that comes from someone who's looked at nearly every card game out there, not just me saying it.

To sum up: I'll pass.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:15 AM

Well if nothing else the mechanics seem interesting, and the bgg page wasn't the site of much traffic last time I was there. Did it say how many people had reviewed it?

Old September 25th, 2009, 12:42 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Only 3, actually, but even with few ratings I've seen them very accurate on BGG. Plus this thread didn't help make the game sound any more appealing.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 25th, 2009, 02:32 PM

Well, in regards to the article, it's only on it's first pack here. Beatdown is typically going to win towards the beginnings of a game. That's how it was with Yugioh, Pokemon, and when I started playing M:tG, beatdown was winning there too.

A good reason to run multicolor decks is because the colors are pretty good at what they do, but they all do something different. Green increases resources, but doesn't have much to spend them on. Purple lets you draw more cards that let you draw more cards. Red is expensive attack and white is expensive defense, abilities that increase your BP when attacking or defending. Putting a green red deck together is a good idea, and eventually we do get red/white cards and stuff.

As for the art, I couldn't care less. But that's just me not caring. I'm sure bad or inconsistent art is a turn off for a lot of people, not caring is just a personal issue.

And yeah, the game is reminiscent of M:tG, with a little bit of Duel Masters worked into it. But, the game is pretty balanced right now so I'm willing to make that trade off.

Despite all the similarities, it has a different feel from most other ccgs, so I'd recommend playing around with the demo deck a little before passing on it. But, to each his own.

2013, Still alive.
Old September 25th, 2009, 04:49 PM

In the thread that was linked there were still a lot of strong points, and I was actually surprised that at the end he said he wouldn't be trying it out. But his biggest problem (Zerg Rush deck) is supposedly getting fixed with yellow having an emphasis on spells and blue being card destruction or something along the lines of that.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games