Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Notices

Old September 24th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Sisyphus' Probability Tables(updated April 8, 2008)

This is the first time I've really taken a look at this thread, and I can see why people rely on these tables so much. They're a fantastic resource. Nice job, Sisyphus!

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
To become my perfect enemy
Old November 3rd, 2008, 09:45 AM
Flunked Ebay

MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker

Love this as a resource. Wondering about a couple things though:

1.) Could you label your x/y axis better on these for retards like me?
2.) Could you examine the Deadly Shot ability of the Omicron and Zetacron? Curious about the strike probability vs different defenses.
3.) Can I get my hands on the source files? These are a HUGE help in my army construction and for articles like my Ninjas and Microcorp builds.

YOU ARE THE MAN!

Good Traders: Maska, Fallen Templar, Punisher Fan, loborocket, Marduk, Brotharon

324 figures and counting!

Check me out here:
http://www.myspace.com/mksentinel

And FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE, BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BRILLIANT QUESTION,

Self-induced illiteracy should be a crime!!!
Old November 3rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
Pyro with a G-String

scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness scottishlad5 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I can't believe I just now saw this, this is awesome!

14568 wins, -3 losses.
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:34 AM

Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel View Post
Love this as a resource. Wondering about a couple things though:

1.) Could you label your x/y axis better on these for retards like me?
I will eventually do something to clean everything up but I'm pretty swamped right now.

Quote:
2.) Could you examine the Deadly Shot ability of the Omicron and Zetacron? Curious about the strike probability vs different defenses.
The intent of the tables is so that you can figure that sort of stuff on your own. Though a good rule of thumb is that many small attacks are better against squadies and one big attack is better against heroes.

Quote:
3.) Can I get my hands on the source files? These are a HUGE help in my army construction and for articles like my Ninjas and Microcorp builds.
I don't really have source files. I have one or two functions that I keep modifying slightly to generate each table when I feel like it. It's bad software engineering practice I know but it gets simple things like this done quickly.

Quote:
YOU ARE THE MAN!
Well, that goes without saying.
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Flunked Ebay

MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker MKSentinel knows what's in an order marker

[quote=Sisyphus;703751]
Quote:
Quote:
The intent of the tables is so that you can figure that sort of stuff on your own. Though a good rule of thumb is that many small attacks are better against squadies and one big attack is better against heroes.

[
Well if I was smart enough to figure it out on my own I wouldn't be asking you the question. :P

Seriously though, you roll x number of dice, but for every skull you roll, your opponent has to roll 2 shields to block all damage. Not sure how to place that into the existing tables.

Good Traders: Maska, Fallen Templar, Punisher Fan, loborocket, Marduk, Brotharon

324 figures and counting!

Check me out here:
http://www.myspace.com/mksentinel

And FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE, BEFORE YOU POST YOUR BRILLIANT QUESTION,

Self-induced illiteracy should be a crime!!!
Old November 16th, 2008, 01:38 PM

Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby! Sisyphus rolls all skulls baby!

[QUOTE=MKSentinel;703756]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyphus View Post
Quote:
Quote:

[
Well if I was smart enough to figure it out on my own I wouldn't be asking you the question. :P

Seriously though, you roll x number of dice, but for every skull you roll, your opponent has to roll 2 shields to block all damage. Not sure how to place that into the existing tables.
Let's say you are interested in comparing how a squad of Omnicron snipers compare to Zetacron against Major Q9 on level ground.

Q9 has defense 7, Omnicron snipers have attack 1 so you go to row 7, column 1 of the average damage table for Double Strike. You see that the entry is 0.161. However since there are three Omnicrons to a squad you multiply 0.161 by 3 to get 0.483. A squad of omnicrons will do an average of 0.483 damage per turn against Q9. Zetacron has an attack of 2 so you go to row 7, column 2 of the same table and you see 0.591. Zetacron does an average of 0.591 wounds per turn against Q9.

Of course you can look at different parts of the tables to try out different defenses. Against squads you would look at the would chance table rather than the average damage table.
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
May I first just say thanks so much for giving geeks like me an edge.

I am compiling a list of documents and programs for using on a Nintendo DS and currently I have the old jumbled text version of the information above in a txt file on my DS (I just copied and pasted) which works but get hard to read as the numbers get bigger.

I was wondering if you have ever made a clean looking pdf version (that I could easily port into CBDS). Otherwise, I'll probably wind up going in and fixing the spacing of my own document by hand.

Thanks!
Old March 8th, 2009, 09:45 AM

TOG knows what's in an order marker TOG knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRansom View Post
I was wondering if you have ever made a clean looking pdf version (that I could easily port into CBDS). Otherwise, I'll probably wind up going in and fixing the spacing of my own document by hand.

Thanks!
Could you not just use CutePDF to convert the text tables to PDF?
Old March 8th, 2009, 02:21 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRansom View Post
Thanks!
Could you not just use CutePDF to convert the text tables to PDF?
Yeah, but I'd have to get all the indents and spacings correct. It wouldn't take too long but I was wondering if anyone's allready done it. It would save me a little time.
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:31 PM

I have been getting a lot of requests on how these tables were produced so here are some helpful equations. P(w) gives the probability that an attack of A dice will inflict a wound against a figure with D defense(i.e. kill a squad member). The specialized tables in this thread come from this formula with only slight modifications. E(w) gives the expected number of wounds an attack with A dice will inflict on a figure with D defense(i.e. average damage to a hero if the hero has at least A life). The third equation is the definition of a combination which is used in the first two formulas. "n choose m" is the number of ways you can choose n items in a set of m elements. For example if I roll three attack dice, I can get two skulls in three different ways. The skulls can be on the first and second dice, the first and third dice, or the second and third dice.

Last edited by Sisyphus; March 10th, 2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Oops can't have negative factorials...
Old March 10th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
I have been getting a lot of requests on how these tables were produced so here are some helpful equations. P(w) gives the probability that an attack of A dice will inflict a wound against a figure with D defense(i.e. kill a squad member). The specialized tables in this thread come from this formula with only slight modifications. E(w) gives the expected number of wounds an attack with A dice will inflict on a figure with D defense(i.e. average damage to a hero if the hero has at least A life). The third equation is the definition of a combination which is used in the first two formulas. "n choose m" is the number of ways you can choose n items in a set of m elements. For example if I roll three attack dice, I can get two skulls in three different ways. The skulls can be on the first and second dice, the first and third dice, or the second and third dice.

.......Sigh. Brilliant. +rep.

I will now go pick out all the red M&M's out of my bag and line them up in rows for my mathematical feat of the day.

"There's something exceptionally satisfying in dropping Mimring in round one."

Expand your horizons. Terrain maps from Cavalier.

Last edited by Purplebeard; March 10th, 2009 at 10:18 AM.
Old March 26th, 2009, 06:30 AM

StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker

Sisyphus, I like the formulas, but have found I cannot get the problems to work out right. So I was wondering if you could give a demonstration of sorts to show some of the younger nerds on the site how to work these formulas.

Contend, O Lord, against those who contend against me;
Fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles