Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old February 20th, 2018, 12:12 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by obfuscatedhippo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
Well SoV/C3V, and Heroscape Community, what are your thoughts?

Strategic Shift
After revealing an order marker on, and taking a turn with a Common Drow Squad, or Common Drow Hero, you may choose one of the figures that attacked or moved this turn that is within 6 sight spaces of a Drow Assassin whose base is no more than 5 levels higher or lower than the base of the chosen figure. You may Switch the Drow Assassin with the chosen figure. If you do, you may immediately take a turn with that Drow Assassin. Figures moved by Strategic Shift never take any leaving engagement attacks.
Personally I think this power is too wordy and the 'Shift' at that distance does seem like a Teleport (versus an assassin sneaking around).

How about you simplify and go with a power like War Cry from the Mohicans? It gives a pseudo-bonding and has been play-tested already. I'll modify -

ASSASSIN'S CALL (War Cry)
After taking a turn with a Drow figure, if at least two Drow you control are engaged, you may immediately take a turn with one Drow Assassin you control.

https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=25123
Ooooo! I really like that. Basically it’s as if the Drow are holding down the figure so the assassin can jump in and finish the job.

I think you have a point there concerning simplicity. It does seem like a teleport ability especially because they can potentially jump 5 levels higher than they are and within 6 spaces. That’s a ton of mobility. Probably too much?

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old February 20th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Quote:
You might remember that one of the first Pre-SoV workshop ideas I posted was a cheerleader assassin for the Drow. I kind of dropped the idea for a while, but recently I've come back to it. I present the Drow Assassin.

Text version:
Spoiler Alert!

I feel that the biggest help I can give the Drow is some form of bonding. I also like non-traditional bonding that takes some strategy, and skill to use to it's full potential. I've had the idea for Strategic shift for a long time, and it has gone through a few iterations. It still requires order marker management, so it's not as good as normal bonding, and if you use it with anything but the squad, you aren't getting a lot of attacks per turn, though you could get higher attacks, so it can be worth it sometimes. The wording for Strategic Shift was based largely off of Barge into Battle, so I don't believe any major corner cases will require the wording to be restructured, or increased by any notable amount.

I wanted to make sure that this hero would fit the theme of the Drow, and their self-centered attitudes they seem to have. With that in mind I have toyed with a form of Strategic Shift which requires a die roll, and gives a chance of killing your Drow,(if you roll a 1-4 you destroy the common figure that switches with the Drow Assassin) but I wasn't sure if this was necessary, and thought that it could be needlessly complicating the design. I showed this version to several people, and they expressed the same feeling that it didn't add anything, and only inhibited the usefulness of the figure. I think the theme of a Barge into Battle like ability fits well with the Drow theme, as they self centered and would thus gladly let a lesser figure run ahead to fight the enemy, and then jump in front to take the glory of the kill when the opportunity presents itself.

I initially didn't have a range limit on Strategic Shift, but this resulted in Figures teleporting across the entire map, though it was very fun to do. This iteration didn't last long. I have settled on 6 because it is the move of all the common Drow, and if I want her to be useful, I need to make sure the figures you are switching with can be reached, without needing to use order markers just to position the Assassin. I also don't want to make it any farther because I don't want the turn 1 threat range to be too high. Currently I only justify it at it's current range because of the Death chasers of Thesk. They can effectively get a full squad of 4 attack figures, and a bonded hero very close to your start zone turn 1, where as this will leave a Drow Common figure in your start zone, and won't move anything but the Assassin as far as the Death Chasers can get, which usually only puts it in a bad position.

To mitigate running your Assassins right into the star zone, and to put them in line with the Chainfigters, I have given them Sneak attack. They have 1 less defense than the Chainfighters, and can situationally get 1 more attack. This should incentivize keeping them with a group a Drow, and makes them better to use with the Deepwrym than the Chainfighters, because it's easier to set up sneak attacks. Sneak Attack also helps drive home the Assassin theme.

Close comparisons in my mind is either the Drow Chainfighter at 25 points, or the Nottingham Brigand at 35. They have comparable stats to the Chain fighter, without a ranged ability, but with a form of bonding. They have Bonding like the Brigands, but it's limited to commons instead of unique Heros, and they do not have range..

My biggest concerns are on whether the SoV/C3V would accept a backwards bonding ability like this, were you don't put the order markers on the bonder. I want to point out that since they are Common Heros, that only bond with commons, you could make a normal Bonding uncommon hero, or unique squad that bonds with uniques. So this doesn't prevent normal bonding options further down the road.

I'm also concerned with Strategic Shift's switching aspect. In my head it seemed like exactly the kind of thing an Assassin would use. Follow behind the group, and then swap places when the time is right to stab someone in the back. There's precedent for the ability with the Horned Skull Brutes, and the Warforged, but this is the first time it's been incorporated into a bonding ability, which could make the C3V/SoV cautious. Pushing aside another Drow to get the perfect time to stab someone is, at least to me, in line with the Selfish nature of the Drow, so I think it could work, but I want to hear from the community.

A concern that has been brought up to me is the amount of Card space used up by text. The amount of space taken up by Strategic Shift, is close to the amount taken up by Hide in Darkness, and looking at the text on the Drow Chainfighter, It's actually taking up less space that Chain grab. Using the Zetian Deathwings as an example of text space management, there is precedent for the amount of card text space used up. You can compare the Zetian Deathwings to my card image above, to see how you feel about this issue.

According to my current testing, I would price them at 35 points. I feel that they are harder to use as effectively as Chainfighters, but they have Bonding, so they are still a higher price. The setup required to get Sneak attacks off doesn't in my opinion make them worth more, so much as it makes the Deepwrym feel like they are more worth their points. The Deepwrym are the easiest to use with the Assassin, because you can move one of them a little less, or even back towards your start if you need, to make sure to get to bond with the Assassin. Even though you loose out on an attack from 1 of your Deepwrym, you get to replace it with a potentially higher attack from the Assassin.

I. Love. This. This is what the Drow have needed for a long time, something tying them together and making them effective. I originally thought the Deepwyrms should just have bonding, but this is much more interesting. I would repeat the suggestion of having it work for Unique Heroes, though - I'd like to see them get that bit of synergy too.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old February 20th, 2018, 01:25 PM

jedilou knows what's in an order marker jedilou knows what's in an order marker jedilou knows what's in an order marker

For the Drow Assassin, I'm assuming that the Drow Assassin using Strategic Shift can only attack, but not move, on this additional turn (like the Pathfinder's "Firefight" special power). Otherwise the threat range would be off the charts for a free turn (at least one without a penalty, i.e., Alastair MacDirk).

If my assumption is correct, I think it would be helpful to clarify that point.

Last edited by jedilou; February 20th, 2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old February 20th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedilou View Post
For the Drow Assassin, I'm assuming that the Drow Assassin using Strategic Shift can only attack, but not move, on this additional turn (like the Pathfinder's "Firefight" special power. Otherwise the threat range would be off the charts for a free turn (at least one without a penalty, i.e., Alastair MacDirk).

I agree that should be clarified...otherwise that’s a ton of movement as the ability just indicates you can switch with a figure that attacked, which means the figure could have killed a unit, ending unengaged, pop in an assassin and then have the assassin still move 6 and attack.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old February 20th, 2018, 01:34 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
For the Drow Assassin, I'm assuming that the Drow Assassin using Strategic Shift can only attack, but not move, on this additional turn (like the Pathfinder's "Firefight" special power. Otherwise the threat range would be off the charts for a free turn (at least one without a penalty, i.e., Alastair MacDirk).

I agree that should be clarified...otherwise that’s a ton of movement as the ability just indicates you can switch with a figure that attacked, which means the figure could have killed a unit, ending unengaged, pop in an assassin and then have the assassin still move 6 and attack.
You know, that's also how I assumed the power worked after a first read. Great catch!
Old February 20th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You know, that's also how I assumed the power worked after a first read. Great catch!
Wait, that's not how it works? I don't think it's overpowered. There's an awful lot that has to go right for the situation people are concerned about, and even then, lacking Disengage or good survivability, and being dependent on Sneak Attack for a strong hit, something like that would just be pointlessly suicidal. The threat range of two melee units going back-to-back is only about as much as many range units normally have.
Old February 20th, 2018, 03:06 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I like how the Shift lets the Assassin still move afterward, as I feel like it's a unique ability that we haven't seen before (and, in all honesty, the Drow could use the help). While this does give her a potential move of 12, the fact that this is for a single attack of three (since the accompanying squad would be left behind in order to reach that far) doesn't really bother me. In a way, it's like adding a ranged attack to the Drow, albeit far more limited and at the cost of leaving some of your own units behind as you switch. Sneak Attack helps combat this well, in my opinion, although the latter parts of a game might prove to be more crazy with switching large distances and still getting that boosted attack.

I am curious how taking multiples of these guys alone fairs, though. Unless I'm mistaken, they work perfectly fine with themselves, so I could see just taking them and not worrying so much about Order Marker management for stuff like the Chainfighter.
Old February 20th, 2018, 05:12 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

A very elegant design. The lack of Disengage mitigates the possibility of moving further during Strategic Shift nicely - perhaps too much so. As it is, it would happen only under the most extreme circumstances. I suggest the Assassins be Uncommon Heroes, each with two or three Life (adjusting their price accordingly). Then the risk/reward would be more balanced.

Last edited by kolakoski; February 20th, 2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old February 20th, 2018, 06:58 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I'd just like to point out that the wording of Strategic Shift says that the Drow Assassin can change with any figure that attacked or moved this turn, so you could even walk a Drow backwards while attacking with two others, then switch in the Assassin and have him rush in for the third attack.

Of course, that method requires you to sacrifice attacking with one of your squad members, so I'm inclined to believe that it would be balanced (and an interesting tactical decision). As it stands, it would still be very difficult to get attacks off on four different figures every turn, I imagine.

Seeing the Assassins become more expensive Uncommon Heroes could be interesting, although I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. It would make disengages much easier to gamble on for sure, but thematically it makes sense to me for an assassin to be dangerous but easy to kill. If the Assassins worked with Estivara and Pelloth as well, then the need for heroes in a Drow army could already be covered, so it'd be interesting to rely on weaker common heroes for 'bonding.'
Old February 20th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Hooo boy, that's a lot of posts to reply to before I head out to work. Lets clear some stuff out real quick. You DO NOT NEED ENGAGEMENT, and I stated this in the initial post with this quote:
Quote:
I have settled on 6 sight spaces because it is the move of all the common Drow, and if I want her to be useful, I need to make sure the figures you are switching with can be reached, without needing to use order markers just to position the Assassin. I also don't want to make it any farther because I don't want the turn 1 threat range to be too high. Currently I only justify it at it's current range because of the Death chasers of Thesk. They can effectively get a full squad of 4 attack figures, and a bonded hero very close to your start zone turn 1, where as this will leave a Drow Common figure in your start zone, and won't move anything but the Assassin as far as the Death Chasers can get, which usually only puts it in a bad position.
That was by design. They have a threat Range of 12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
I agree with TREX. While I can't say anything for what you envision for that Unique Squad of Drow, I would definitely enjoy being able to use these Assassins with Pelloth/Estivara as well, and it could serve the dual purpose of getting them out of danger after using some of their abilities. This is an interesting take on Bonding, and personally, I'd rather see it help all of the Drow than just the Common figures.
I'm debating adding in the unique Heros, it will just take more testing to make sure that doesn't change anything major. The squad idea can't work without enough similar looking figures, so I was considering making it just a unique Hero, instead of a squad which can't work if I add Unique heros to the Assassin. I'm feeling like scrapping the idea for now though.
Quote:
Quote:

Strategic Shift
After revealing an order marker on, and taking a turn with a Common Drow Squad, or Common Drow Hero, you may choose one of the figures that attacked or moved this turn that is within 6 sight spaces of a Drow Assassin whose base is no more than 5 levels higher or lower than the base of the chosen figure. You may Switch the Drow Assassin with the chosen figure. If you do, you may immediately take a turn with that Drow Assassin. Figures moved by Strategic Shift never take any leaving engagement attacks.
Personally I think this power is too wordy and the 'Shift' at that distance does seem like a Teleport (versus an assassin sneaking around).

How about you simplify and go with a power like War Cry from the Mohicans? It gives a pseudo-bonding and has been play-tested already. I'll modify -

After taking a turn with a Drow figure, if at least two Drow you control are engaged, you may immediately take a turn with one Drow Assassin you control.

huh... I'm not sure how I feel about this. In my experience playing the Mohicans, that Bonding power was not as easy to pull off at times as it might seem, and I think the Drow need something better.

The range on "Strategic Shift", which is going to be changed to "Shadow Shift", is there to maintain usefulness. I didn't run many tests with lower ranges, but it was harder, or mostly just more annoying to pull off, and made you move figures towards the Assassin just to ensure the shift happened.
Quote:
Quote:

Ooooo! I really like that. Basically it’s as if the Drow are holding down the figure so the assassin can jump in and finish the job.

I think you have a point there concerning simplicity. It does seem like a teleport ability especially because they can potentially jump 5 levels higher than they are and within 6 spaces. That’s a ton of mobility. Probably too much?
I think that the selfish theme of the Drow goes against that; why would they hold them down for another when they can just kill them themselves? I have been using them with that range. Sneak Attack incentivizes against abusing it, and the Assassins are High priority targets because they are your bonders, so it's not a good idea to rush them out usually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
I. Love. This. This is what the Drow have needed for a long time, something tying them together and making them effective. I originally thought the Deepwyrms should just have bonding, but this is much more interesting. I would repeat the suggestion of having it work for Unique Heroes, though - I'd like to see them get that bit of synergy too.
Thank you for the kind words towards the design. I'll look into Uniques a bit more.
Quote:
For the Drow Assassin, I'm assuming that the Drow Assassin using Strategic Shift can only attack, but not move, on this additional turn (like the Pathfinder's "Firefight" special power). Otherwise the threat range would be off the charts for a free turn (at least one without a penalty, i.e., Alastair MacDirk).

No. You do not need engagement, and they have a threat range of 12 as I stated earlier in the thread. Sneak Attack incentivizes you not to just bum rush your opponent with an assassin, but if you do this anyway, the stats are now basically a Deepwrym without poison, and you are suiciding your bonding unit. I don't recommend it unless you are getting a shot at Realin or something.
Quote:
Quote:

See above. They are very mobile, as you would expect of an Assassin. I mentioned that they can do this in the initial post, which I quoted at the top of this one, I guess everyone missed that part?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

See above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Quote:
Wait, that's not how it works? I don't think it's overpowered. There's an awful lot that has to go right for the situation people are concerned about, and even then, lacking Disengage or good survivability, and being dependent on Sneak Attack for a strong hit, something like that would just be pointlessly suicidal. The threat range of two melee units going back-to-back is only about as much as many range units normally have.
I even sent this design to you (and Bigga for full disclosure) for feedback before posting it here, and mentioned that they can do this. Incase anyone is wondering, The design didn't change, though I didn't simplify the card based on Bigga's feedback.
Quote:
I like how the Shift lets the Assassin still move afterward, as I feel like it's a unique ability that we haven't seen before (and, in all honesty, the Drow could use the help). While this does give her a potential move of 12, the fact that this is for a single attack of three (since the accompanying squad would be left behind in order to reach that far) doesn't really bother me. In a way, it's like adding a ranged attack to the Drow, albeit far more limited and at the cost of leaving some of your own units behind as you switch. Sneak Attack helps combat this well, in my opinion, although the latter parts of a game might prove to be more crazy with switching large distances and still getting that boosted attack.

I am curious how taking multiples of these guys alone fairs, though. Unless I'm mistaken, they work perfectly fine with themselves, so I could see just taking them and not worrying so much about Order Marker management for stuff like the Chainfighter.
Yes, they work just fine with themselves. This makes setting up Sneak Attacks harder, but you can definitely do it if you want to. Some of the funnest times with these guys is getting a double Sneak Attack by attacking with one that's already engaged to a figure that's engaged with multiple Drow, and then Switching to get a second Sneak Attack in. The Assassin's are pretty high value targets for your opponent's though, so you usually don't get to do this. It's great when you do though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Well met!

A very elegant design. The lack of Disengage mitigates the possibility of moving further during Strategic Shift nicely - perhaps too much so. As it is, it would happen only under the most extreme circumstances. I suggest the Assassins be Uncommon Heroes, each with two or three Life (adjusting their price accordingly). Then the risk/reward would be more balanced
Thank you for the compliment to the design. Making them Uncommon doesn't change much, all it really does is prevent them from Bonding with themselves, and you usually don't put order markers on them. 4 attacks per turn when bonding with the Deepwrym, is usually more benefitial than bonding with another Assassin, though there are occasions where it's still useful. If I allow for Uniques, as many people are asking that I do, then Making them Uncommon really will be pointless, because they would still bond with themselves. The biggest advantage to Uncommon would be more Life, but I feel like this would raise their price a little higher than I would want. I'll think about it, but I don't think it's necessary.
Quote:
I'd just like to point out that the wording of Strategic Shift says that the Drow Assassin can change with any figure that attacked or moved this turn, so you could even walk a Drow backwards while attacking with two others, then switch in the Assassin and have him rush in for the third attack.

Of course, that method requires you to sacrifice attacking with one of your squad members, so I'm inclined to believe that it would be balanced (and an interesting tactical decision). As it stands, it would still be very difficult to get attacks off on four different figures every turn, I imagine.

Seeing the Assassins become more expensive Uncommon Heroes could be interesting, although I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. It would make disengages much easier to gamble on for sure, but thematically it makes sense to me for an assassin to be dangerous but easy to kill. If the Assassins worked with Estivara and Pelloth as well, then the need for heroes in a Drow army could already be covered, so it'd be interesting to rely on weaker common heroes for 'bonding.'
Yes, initially it was any Drow that Activated, but Scytale pointed out that you could just Activate 2 Deepwrym, and then cause problems with determining who the 3rd activated Deepwrym was, so I changed it to "Attacked, or Moved". Walking a figure backwards to get the Shift to work is a huge part of using them effectively, and you are right, it sacrifices an attack. What if that attack had hit, and you could poisoned the Hero killing them? It's up to you to decide when you want to do this. (spoiler: you usually do)

I agree, especially if I add Unique Heros to the bonding options, Uncommon is not necessary. A somewhat squishy glass cannon is what I would want from these guys, and their value in the army makes them a priority target, so they aren't going to be ignored, which further mitigates using them too aggressively after Shifting them.
Old February 20th, 2018, 09:45 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation

Quote:

Quote:
huh... I'm not sure how I feel about this. In my experience playing the Mohicans, that Bonding power was not as easy to pull off at times as it might seem, and I think the Drow need something better.
Agreed - War Cry is not a perfect form of bonding - but since you are trying to add bonding to an existing unit I thought this would work nicely (especially since the Deepwyrm are melee only and the Mohicans have the choice of Ranged attacks vs melee).

And Agreed that the Drow need a lot of help to be competitive.

This is a totally different direction but you could go with a d20 power vs Sneak Attack.

STEALTH MOVEMENT
After taking a turn with a Drow Hero or Squad, if at least one Drow figure attacked an opponent's figure, you may move up to two Drow Assassins that did not move or attack this turn up to 6 spaces each.

ASSASSINATE 15
After moving this Drow Assassin, you may choose one adjacent figure and roll the 20-sided die. Add 3 to your roll for each friendly figure engaged with the chosen figure. If you roll a 15 or higher, the chosen figure receives one wound.

HIDE IN DARKNESS

If you use an Order Marker, you could get 2 attacks this way - one d20 and one normal - so pretty powerful for a 35 point figure. But I am guessing that more likely you'd want to attack with 2 Deepwrym Drow and get two Assassinate attempts on the d20. That's potentially 5 "attacks" per OM - which might seem overpowered - but it takes a good set up - and the Knights/Gruts and do that pretty much all the time.
Old February 21st, 2018, 07:14 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Agreed - War Cry is not a perfect form of bonding - but since you are trying to add bonding to an existing unit I thought this would work nicely (especially since the Deepwyrm are melee only and the Mohicans have the choice of Ranged attacks vs melee).

And Agreed that the Drow need a lot of help to be competitive.

This is a totally different direction but you could go with a d20 power vs Sneak Attack.

STEALTH MOVEMENT
After taking a turn with a Drow Hero or Squad, if at least one Drow figure attacked an opponent's figure, you may move up to two Drow Assassins that did not move or attack this turn up to 6 spaces each.

ASSASSINATE 15
After moving this Drow Assassin, you may choose one adjacent figure and roll the 20-sided die. Add 3 to your roll for each friendly figure engaged with the chosen figure. If you roll a 15 or higher, the chosen figure receives one wound.

HIDE IN DARKNESS

If you use an Order Marker, you could get 2 attacks this way - one d20 and one normal - so pretty powerful for a 35 point figure. But I am guessing that more likely you'd want to attack with 2 Deepwrym Drow and get two Assassinate attempts on the d20. That's potentially 5 "attacks" per OM - which might seem overpowered - but it takes a good set up - and the Knights/Gruts and do that pretty much all the time.
Sorry if this comes off the wrong way, but since the Drow Assassin is the bonder for them, just moving them on another squad/hero's turn isn't going to make them as useful, or really pull the faction together in the way that Strategic Shift does, though moving 2 like you have does help a bit. An issue with this design is that the way you worded Assassinate doesn't allow it to activate just by moving them. It says "After moving" so it would be an ability you can use on their turn, after moving them, not whenever you move them by any means. If it worked whenever they are moved, you would be able to use it with Talon Grab, or Carry, or after Throwing them, or if you Chain Grabbed them, which I don't think you were intending. It would probably need a lot more text to cover corner cases, and annoying stuff like that.

I actually really like the theme of Assassinate, but I also hate being on the recieving end of auto wounds. Auto wounds are a ruiner of fun.

A rank about auto wounds:
Spoiler Alert!

To be honest, I was really happy with the design of the Drow Assassin when I posted her here, and was hoping to even submit them to the SoV within the week, unless some glaring problem I hadn't seen was pointed out. (I even have a text file with the entire submission post ready to go, with availability and everything.) While I appreciate the interest, and creatively shown, I'm not looking to drastically rework them.

To everyone else, Thank you for your feedback, and feel free to leave anything more you really wanted to say. As of now I'm not going to submit them, because I'm going to start testing them with Hero bonding as well. It seems to be a popular suggestion, I don't have anything major against it, and it really would help the Drow faction out. I'll shoot for around 10 - 20 test games, and some preset scenarios to see if it changes anything major, and if it all goes well, I'll submit in a week or so. If anyone is interested in testing them themselves, feel free to message me your play test reports, as I would love to see how other people use them. They are still priority targets, so if they still fall as easily as Deepwrym (which they usually do, since they have the same defense, and defensive ability) and don't consistently get some good setups for the Heros, I'll probably keep them at 35. The stronger heros will distract from them a bit, so maybe it will make them survive a bit better. I'm thinking that perhaps Peloth was priced the way he was with future bonding in mind. At Rank D, I'm not worried about making him any better due to bonding, but I'm interested in Estivara's potential to be better with Bonding. She's in a pretty decent place at Rank B, so we'll see how things go.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards