Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old September 5th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Wormy Woo who?
Noob Q's

Ok, sorry if this is answered before, I've looked and haven't been able to find anything.

First, what are the rules regarding ranged attacks and flying when a player is trying to cross a non map area? For example, the map is constructed in a way that figs can see each other but there is an area between them where there isn't any terrain. The distance is still countable, so can you shoot or fly across it?

Second, is a question that came up when using the Nakita agents. Two agents were adjacent to each other, Charos showed up and tried to attack one of the agents. The contention was that the agent that Charos wasn't adjacent to could still use the smoke defense to help her sister fig. Is this correct, or no?

Thanks a bunch, this is a great forum!
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:31 PM

Utgarsrage is surprisingly tart
Re: Noob Q's

1. You can move or shoot through non-hexed spaces.

2. Nakita Agents Smoke Powder only works versus non-adjacent attacks.

Good Trades with: Rudyvalentine X2, omgitsjihad, Jim, dredd Stev, Yikes, Temp. Nerd, Syvaris the ruler, southwest ninja, Nerdcorerocks, Ensignoftheunit, Einar Gen., Mossman, MuttLo, Ted_Danson
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:38 PM

scarecrowking is surprisingly tart

Welcome to the site, Wormy!

1. You can shoot through those spaces, but you must count the range by using the actual hexes that run around the edge of the open space (SotM rulebook, p. 11, under 'Range', 2nd column)

You may NOT move across those unoccupied spaces, there is nothing there, therefore that part of the map doesn't exist, and you can't move across it.

-scare

When people hear that I watch wrestling, they ask, "You know it's fake, right?" To which I answer, "Yes, but so is American Idol and the nightly news, and look how many idiots watch that."
Old September 5th, 2008, 01:53 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utgarsrage View Post
No, that's not correct. Those void spaces are not part of the map and cannot be passed through by moving figures. You may shoot through them, and while line of sight still works the same way (across the voided spaces), you must count the spaces around the void for range.

Because it's so wonky, most maps do not incorporate such areas.

EDIT: Scarecrow is correct, and much faster than me.

Last edited by CheddarLimbo; September 5th, 2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: for sluggishicity
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:32 PM

Wiet is surprisingly tart

Quote:
No, that's not entirely correct. You can't move through/over non-existent spaces. You CAN shoot over them though, but - as CheddarLimbo and scarecrowking said - you must count around the void for range.

Quote:
Exactly. So in Wormy's example, unless a figure in Charos' army was standing on the Glyph of Ivor, Smoke Screen would not have been possible against his attack, because Charos has a Range of 1 (i.e. no ranged attack).

Last edited by Wiet; September 5th, 2008 at 03:34 PM. Reason: clarification
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM

Altron_ZERO Woo who?

i ususally play that you cant shoot or see characters through empty field, i imagine theres a giant wall surrounding that empty area.

am i wrong to play like this? i think its more fair, because lets say you have 2 starting zones and they are within 5-6 hexes of eachother, in the beggining of the game if you had units with long enough range you would be able to shoot across the non existant area.

Old September 5th, 2008, 03:52 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altron_ZERO View Post
i ususally play that you cant shoot or see characters through empty field, i imagine theres a giant wall surrounding that empty area.

am i wrong to play like this? i think its more fair, because lets say you have 2 starting zones and they are within 5-6 hexes of eachother, in the beggining of the game if you had units with long enough range you would be able to shoot across the non existant area.
You're not wrong to play like that, but you're not playing by the official rules. What you are doing is a logical house rule (but remember that it is a house rule), so play that way if it works for you.
Old September 5th, 2008, 03:54 PM

SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiet View Post
Quote:
No, that's not entirely correct. You can't move through/over non-existent spaces. You CAN shoot over them though, but - as CheddarLimbo and scarecrowking said - you must count around the void for range.

Quote:
Exactly. So in Wormy's example, unless a figure in Charos' army was standing on the Glyph of Ivor, Smoke Screen would not have been possible against his attack, because Charos has a Range of 1 (i.e. no ranged attack).
All correct except that Charos does not benefit from the Glyph of Ivor because it has the stipulation of the characters having to have at least four range to receive the bonus. So Charos because of his range of one can never benefit.

Whether to believe or disbelieve, it is a wicked thing to take away men’s hope.

Old September 5th, 2008, 05:51 PM

Wiet is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanNinja View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiet View Post
unless a figure in Charos' army was standing on the Glyph of Ivor, Smoke Screen would not have been possible against his attack, because Charos has a Range of 1 (i.e. no ranged attack).
All correct except that Charos does not benefit from the Glyph of Ivor because it has the stipulation of the characters having to have at least four range to receive the bonus. So Charos because of his range of one can never benefit.
WOW! Now who's the n00b I'm feeling really stupid right now: I have always played that the Glyph of Ivor gives a +4 range bonus to everyone in the Army. I have always found it odd that non-ranged units (i.e. Range 1) became ranged this way. Now I see that they don't, which makes way more sense! Stupid me... This is one for that thread about rule-mistakes. Hahaha - laughing it off...
Old September 6th, 2008, 10:47 AM

SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker SpartanNinja knows what's in an order marker

You aren't (or weren't now) alone. I played it that way for a while when I first got HS but at closer examination of the rules (about two weeks after I got it I'm sure) I discovered the stipulation. I was half disappointed though because the melee figures really benefited from that capability.

Whether to believe or disbelieve, it is a wicked thing to take away men’s hope.

Old September 6th, 2008, 10:56 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

We've all done things like that. You should have seen the devastation my Airborne Elite were able to cause with their Extreme Height assisted Hand Grenade special.

Old September 6th, 2008, 03:52 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

5 attack?!? Holy cow!! Or Counter Strike working with Ranged attacks? Hehe....

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's