Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Closed Thread

Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:11 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberman
Okay, wotcpbarclay has told me in the announcement thread that the playtesters, while given more responsibility, are under the direction of Craig, but the frontpage article says Craig is not on the game...so, it this just a transitional thing for him?
Craig is no longer designing the game but is still on the playtest forums, so still has sway on final versions of card powers and stats.
Which means he'll still have some control over the cards, it looks like.... Hehe...

djsmith has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helznicht
I think I speak for alot of people in here, we need more road and tree sets. They are VERY scarce and $40 online for such a small expansion is hard to swallow.
This is a perfect example of a vast difference between "old players" and new players. Longer-time players would probably be OK if they NEVER saw another Road to the Forgotten Forest set on a retail shelf again. The players that have come along since RttFF went out of print would kill to get their hands on the set.
I have been in this game since close to the beginning and I still need more roads and trees.. Didn't buy enough when they were everywhere I guess.

I want to see more trees, objects, artifacts, graves, etc, etc, etc.. ANy plans for such things?

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by soberman
Okay, wotcpbarclay has told me in the announcement thread that the playtesters, while given more responsibility, are under the direction of Craig, but the frontpage article says Craig is not on the game...so, it this just a transitional thing for him?
Craig is no longer designing the game but is still on the playtest forums, so still has sway on final versions of card powers and stats.
Thanks for the clarification!
Wizards of the Coast Staff Member

wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby!
WotC Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggler
Some questions that come to mind:

1) Will WOTC have a more liberal policy in linking to non-company sites? Such as a link on heroscape.com to heroscapers.com?

2) Will WOTC actually have a continued presence on Heroscapers.com or insist those who want to communicate use WOTC forums?

3) Will CVN play any role in future design/development? If so what specific role?

4) Will there be any attempts to create an "official" competative environment? Such as official tournament rules? Tournament standings? Official tournament maps?

5) Will Heroscape see an extended surge in marketing?
1. Our policy may be the same, but our ability to ignore the policy is considerably higher. We just have to wait for the guards to be looking the other way.
2. We're planning a continued presence here, both directly and through our playtester team.
3. He's going to play two critical roles. First, as a consultant on design and development, and second, as a voice for maintaining the vision of the brand.
4. We're working on that question at the moment. It'll take us some time to get the right answer.
5. We're working on marketing plans too.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOfSauron
I will ask what has been asked already:

Will future packs potentially be blind purchase?

say no...
I'm pretty sure that this was answered in the Front Page post that truth linked.

No.

As far as packaging goes, I agree with the idea that including doubles of the same commons is probably a good idea, especially with cheap squads. I'd love it if I could have picked up a 2x Heavy Gruts, or 2x Drones, or 2x Deathreavers pack without having to get Shades or WoA which I am not as excited about.

In general, being able to grab two at a time of a favorite common would be good, except in cases similar to the Gladiatron/Blastatron combo, or the Ashigaru Harquebus/Yari pack.

The other thing to keep track of is how 'cool' certain units are. Even though both the Ninjas and Samurai and Gladiators and Agents pack are both unique, one of them seems to be sold much faster than the other. Similarly, a pack full of Soulborgs is much harder to find than the Warriors & Soulborgs pack.

If I were to remake Wave 5 as a 9-pack wave, I'd do something like this:

1 Gladiators (Crixus, Retiarius, Spartacus) & (Nakita) Agents *Unique*
1 Box that contains 2 sets (6 figures) of Warriors of Ashra
2 Boxes that contain 2 sets (8 figures) of Deathreavers
2 Boxes that contain 1 set of Ninjas (of the Northern Wind) and (Kozuke)Samurai *Unique*
2 Boxes that contain 2 sets of Blastatrons
1 Boxe that contain 2 sets of Deathstalkers

This is just my guess on what is the driving force behind selling these waves, and that hindsight is 20/20. If you could tweak these numbers even more accurately than this, it might help when supplying future waves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:14 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
If this move helps solve the Hasbro distribution problems, I'm all for it! By having Heroscape more widely available for purchase in gaming stores, as well as keeping them in the big box stores, we should have more ready-access to desired expansions like never before.

That, and hopefully there's still a future for a range-attack viper squad (Spitting Cobras, baby! ).

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Kind of off-topic, I think, but.....

Quote:
2. When is this effective?
The transition has already begun and will be complete by 4/1/08. Wizards is already working on future SKUs at this time.

What's an SKU?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:18 PM
Hotdoghead-Molesterface

kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby! kenjib rolls all skulls baby!
I posted these questions in the other thread, which was locked and redirected to this one:

1. Wizards of the Coast stuff tends to have a certain type of unified look and feel across it's product lines - a kind of gothic-punk fantasy look. Will the usual in-house and contracted WotC art staff now be working on the Heroscape miniatures so that we will be seeing more of the typical WotC style in future Heroscape figures or will Heroscape retain the more simple/classic stylization that it currently has?

2. Rather than finding new customers to sell product to or continuing to sell expansion products indefinitely, it seems that Wizards of the Coast tends to have a business model based on recycling it's product line over a certain time frame within it's customer base with the hopes that loyal customers will repurchase everything and replace their old items with every product cycle. It seems that you typically do this by introducing product cycles such that new and old product are not entirely compatible. Will Heroscape start to be produced in various series' or versions following the usual business model or will it retain it's current model of expansion via new sets that are 100% backward compatible?

3. Will we see an Einar war elephant and an Ullar tree village set?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_calvin
1- To be able to buy a $50 lot of just a particular terrain tile type. A big brick of road tiles, or a big brick of grass, or water, etc.
I think most everyone has asked for that vs. multiple Master set purchases, but wouldn't mind as much if it didn't happen provided the master sets are full of common squads.

Quote:
2- To be able to buy an "army" box. Basically three units of the same common type in a box. Doesn't have to be pretty, just a box. For example a block of gorrilanators, and a box of minutemen.
I'm not sure everyone wants that...maybe the hardcore set, (read: us) but not the public at large.

Altough I, for one, like the fact that I can, within certain limits of established retail pricing, determine and control exactly how much I spend on each wave/squad or set, which is why the current packaging is fine with me!

EDIT: Just realized I could fill a "post-a-day" calendar!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:20 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre
Kind of off-topic, I think, but.....

Quote:
2. When is this effective?
The transition has already begun and will be complete by 4/1/08. Wizards is already working on future SKUs at this time.

What's an SKU?
An SKU is a new product. It stands for Stock Keeping Units.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM
Wizards of the Coast Staff Member

wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby! wotcpbarclay rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjib
I posted these questions in the other thread, which was locked and redirected to this one:

1. Wizards of the Coast stuff tends to have a certain type of unified look and feel across it's product lines - a kind of gothic-punk fantasy look. Will the usual in-house and contracted WotC art staff now be working on the Heroscape miniatures so that we will be seeing more of the typical WotC style in future Heroscape figures or will Heroscape retain the more simple/classic stylization that it currently has?

2. Rather than finding new customers to sell product to or continuing to sell expansion products indefinitely, it seems that Wizards of the Coast tends to have a business model based on recycling it's product line over a certain time frame within it's customer base with the hopes that loyal customers will repurchase everything and replace their old items with every product cycle. It seems that you typically do this by introducing product cycles such that new and old product are not entirely compatible. Will Heroscape start to be produced in various series' or versions following the usual business model or will it retain it's current model of expansion via new sets that are 100% backward compatible?

3. Will we see an Einar war elephant and an Ullar tree village set?
1. It's our staff, but we're keeping the Heroscape look and feel.
2. Heroscape's going to stay backwards-compatible. I can't predict out past 3 or so years, but I don't see any major changes coming within that timeframe.
3. Heh. Actually, the elephant could be really cool if we could get it to fit on a base.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 03:23 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
The fact that we now have direct communication with a WOTC staff member is already a step in the right direction.

I have a few questions.

1) How will previews of up coming product be handled?
2) Will Heroscape gets its own forum on the WOTC message boards?
3) Can the bases of the figs be reduced to 1" so that they are more compatible with D&D and SW minis? (I doubt it, but it doesn't hurt to ask.)
4) Are the large expansions (i.e. Jungle and hero pack with red dragon) previewed at GenCon last year going to be released before June?
5) Is Star Wars Heroscape in the works?
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News