Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old June 22nd, 2008, 06:59 PM

cosmosis knows what's in an order marker cosmosis knows what's in an order marker
Speeding up "Rolling for Initiative" in a BIG game

I wasn't sure how to word the title myself so my searches about this topic were fruitless as well, so sorry if this has been said and done.

EDIT: This is if you use the house rule where turn order goes in Initiative Roll Order, not the actual rule of highest number then proceed left, because we feel that it would be unfair to have so many people take turns before the other team even gets to go, for such big games (4+ person on each team)

Whenever we play big games, we just use playing cards (pick out numbers equal to # of players, duh) and have one person shuffle up those cards and let everyone else pick their card and they take the last card by default (to make sure no cheating goes on)... The cards also act as markers to keep track of turn order!

Plus, everyone's got a deck of cards, so nothing has to be made and nothing has to be purchased!

Playing cards are also a good source of extra ORDER MARKERS for those that don't have enough during big games.

Pros:
Fast, east, effective

Cons:
No rolling fun/excitement

Last edited by cosmosis; June 23rd, 2008 at 07:37 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:05 PM

Unomas is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Speeding up "Rolling for Initiative" in a BIG game

Although I like the idea, I have never had any problems keeping up with higher dice rolls.
I don't know how big your games are though. The most I have ever played with is four people.
I find that I have enough stuff to keep up with. I don't really want to add to that. Seems like it might add more confusion than simplify.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:06 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Actually the initiative rules when playing with more than 2 people is to roll once, then the player to the left takes their turn, the player to that person's left takes their turn, etc.

I THINK that's how it goes, right?

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaGoomba Slayer View Post
Actually the initiative rules when playing with more than 2 people is to roll once, then the player to the left takes their turn, the player to that person's left takes their turn, etc.

yep...
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:39 AM

cosmosis knows what's in an order marker cosmosis knows what's in an order marker

Quote:

Yup! Sorry, I forgot to mention the house rule we play with (because we don't like this rule in huge games since teams would then take so many turns before the other team gets to go... we never play with more than 2 teams). First post edited.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 07:50 AM
math olympian

mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla mathguy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The playing cards work well when there is no initiative glyph or Lodin glyph. When at least one of these two glyphs is in use, you have no choice but to roll. I find that the initiative rolls go very quickly when everyone has their own D20 and they roll and keep the rolls on the table, and then you pass out the cards or chess pieces to keep track of turn order. (Different color D20s help too - such as from the flagbearers or just buying your own extra D20s.) And as you already pointed out, rolling the D20s is fun!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:06 AM

Oh, we normally don't play with glyphs. I don't know why, but people just don't like them here.

Anyway, I finally found the thread that talks about the topic of initiative rules:
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ing+initiative
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:27 AM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
The playing cards work well when there is no initiative glyph or Lodin glyph. When at least one of these two glyphs is in use, you have no choice but to roll. I find that the initiative rolls go very quickly when everyone has their own D20 and they roll and keep the rolls on the table, and then you pass out the cards or chess pieces to keep track of turn order. (Different color D20s help too - such as from the flagbearers or just buying your own extra D20s.) And as you already pointed out, rolling the D20s is fun!

who doesnt have more then one color of d20?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvaris View Post
Quote:

Someone who doesn't have a flagbearer.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:46 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Use of cards for a turn order reminder ain't a bad idea. It's been used by others on the site before. If it works for ya, go for it.

But on a side note, I've never liked the "play always proceeds to the left" rule... Why? Because the person to your right almost always goes before you do... and if you're in a dire initiative roll situation facing off against one of his units where you NEED to go first that turn, he'll have the statistical advantage...

In a 4-player game, for example, you not only have to roll higher than the guy to your right, you also need to roll higher than the other 2 players as well, otherwise the guy to your right gets "the drop on you".

I've always preferred straight up D20 roll turn order... the highest goes first, then the second highest roll on down. This way it isn't always the same turn order around the table. It changes it up, and also prevents the automatic initiative advantage the guy to your right will have on you 3 times out of 4.

My

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old June 24th, 2008, 01:43 AM

Tauren_Marine is surprisingly tart

We don't typically do free-for-all games, but we love 2 or 3-player teams. In order to make the turns go smoothly, we just roll initiative for the teams. Then the teams get to decide turn order. So instead of having indivual turns, there are team turns. A player from team 1 goes, a player from team 2 goes, and repeat. It really lessens confusion and helps speed along the gameplay.
Old June 24th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Syvaris knows what's in an order marker Syvaris knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syvaris View Post
Quote:

Someone who doesn't have a flagbearer.

you still would have an extra d20, come on now, i have at least 6 not counting my general dice.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion