Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old March 27th, 2019, 03:50 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scapemage View Post

Race for the Galaxy has returned to the spotlight for me. I bought the game used with the first three expansions years back in an auction and barely played it at all. After years in purgatory, I whipped it out last weekend and have been loving it. It's seen play three times since.
Not sure we needed to know that Scapey

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon

Last edited by Hahma; March 27th, 2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old March 27th, 2019, 07:06 PM
"Let's Nut this Unit Out!"

A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth A3n is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:

Race for the Galaxy has returned to the spotlight for me. I bought the game used with the first three expansions years back in an auction and barely played it at all. After years in purgatory, I whipped it out last weekend and have been loving it. It's seen play three times since.
Old March 29th, 2019, 02:27 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A3n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 4th, 2019, 09:56 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

This month of April on my usual Saturday invite schedule are Heroscape, A Game of Thrones, Memoir 44 Overlord--Disaster at Dieppe and Sword Beach--and Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare.

A Game of Thrones (Second Edition) is a 'revival' project, since I haven't taken it out in years. I just got the second of two old card deck small expansions, and the recent large one Mother of Dragons. The new expansion may include cards from the previous deck expansions, as well as House Arryn, the Iron Bank, and House Targaryen, with Dani and her Dragons! Best of all, a new 'vassal' system allows for an active role for neutrals not played, rather than just letting them get scarfed up by the nearest active players. It also now takes a 7th and 8th player, although I doubt I'll go that way, as it would be a very, very long game.

Today Red Alert: Space Fleet Warfare (Commands & Colors in Space By Richard Borg) begins shipping from Florida. The Kickstarter package is large, with many extras and expansions, and three further expansions are already planned, including a ground warfare module "Planetfall." This is the first C&C naval design.

(Edit: The Red Alert package arrived today (Sat.) 3 days ahead of schedule.)

Last edited by chas; April 6th, 2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old April 12th, 2019, 04:01 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

After a morning of putting together the 149 spaceships of the amazing Red Alert Kickstarter, I hosted the two tutorial scenarios for two pals. A few days later I got to play them myself for one loss and then one win. Have another friend coming over today, and I'll take the other side in the two games (same spaceship types but different sculpts and initial deployment on the table).

Hopefully by the weekend I'll try out the real numbered scenarios and add the Task Force cards: variable starting forces, variable hidden movement, and the "Heavy" type of units with 4 instead of 3 miniatures each, selected by points. You are given 100 points and allowed to add another 40.

The game is great fun, with very fast action and the usual C&C mayhem!
With 21 of the 23 scenarios left to try out, I'll be playing all month, and into the future...
Old April 15th, 2019, 10:44 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Sounds cool, chas. I was very tempted by that one...
Old April 15th, 2019, 10:50 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Super addicted to Sorcerer. One of my favorite parts is the back-and-forth. Each player gets 6 actions a round, but they alternate taking those actions instead of doing them all at once. Similarly, in the battle phase, they alternate picking minions to activate. The multiplayer formats are the same way, with everyone at the table getting one action before anyone gets the next one. I kind of want to try applying this to some other games; I bet it could work for Shifting Realms. The back-and-forth part of it reminds me of the back-and-forth of each order marker in Heroscape.

The decks are really cool too. I'm still doing random combinations as I try to get a feel for the game.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old April 15th, 2019, 12:00 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Played a few games of Res Arcana this weekend along with Root. Res Arcana is quite good and, for the games we played, seems well balanced even with complete randomization instead of the more "advanced" drafting variant. Despite only having 8 cards in your deck and the choice of one mage out of the two dealt, there is a surprising amount of decision making. I recommend giving it a try.

Root is Root, highly rated but in my experience extremely polarizing. I like the extreme asymmetry even though it goes against my nature. Others just use it as an excuse. It definitely is jarring to new players when the Cat player has a warrior in every space to start the game save one. Rant aside, I think it is an interesting game and have enjoyed it every time aside from the first time I played. Long story. Needless to say, I would recommend giving Root a chance at the table.
Old April 15th, 2019, 01:52 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Okay, so I'm technically not playing this game at the moment but this seemed like a good place to this up in. I stopped by a store that trades in new and used board games and I came across a Plaid Hat Games called Starship Samurai. I could not recall hearing of this game before, which seemed odd considering this site's relationship with Plaid Hat Games. I didn't know I needed giant samurai robots, but once I saw the minis I felt I had to have them. Since the price on the game seemed like a fairly good deal at about $3.50 each for 8 large miniatures, I bought the game for the mini's alone. I hope to paint a few of them up at some point. Not sure how soon I will get around to playing the game itself though as I have quite the backlog of games already with more on the way via kickstarter. Anyone have any insight to the game play of Starship Samurai or know anything else about it?
Old April 15th, 2019, 02:09 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

This weekend brought games of Eminent Domain, A Game of Thrones, Luna, Arboretum, Unlock: A Noside Story, Azul, and Gloomhaven.

PlaidHatGames has always been a very good company, and has only taken off more and more since Dead of Winter and Mice & Mystics came out years back. I haven't played Starship Samurai myself yet but I would trust Truth and his company pretty easily in this industry.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old April 15th, 2019, 02:32 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Okay, so I'm technically not playing this game at the moment but this seemed like a good place to this up in. I stopped by a store that trades in new and used board games and I came across a Plaid Hat Games called Starship Samurai. I could not recall hearing of this game before, which seemed odd considering this site's relationship with Plaid Hat Games. I didn't know I needed giant samurai robots, but once I saw the minis I felt I had to have them. Since the price on the game seemed like a fairly good deal at about $3.50 each for 8 large miniatures, I bought the game for the mini's alone. I hope to paint a few of them up at some point. Not sure how soon I will get around to playing the game itself though as I have quite the backlog of games already with more on the way via kickstarter. Anyone have any insight to the game play of Starship Samurai or know anything else about it?
I really like this game! It’s an area control game with some resource management, but it’s so simple to learn and teach and the action starts immediately.

If you’ve played or seen Smash Up, this has some similarities in that your are trying to control and score points on a base that other players will also be vying for in order to earn victory points (honor). There are units, small ships and the giant mechs, that will earn you points, and there is card play which can help push you over the egde to winning a base (planet) by messing with your opponent(s) or otherwise benefiting you.

Battles are resolved each round and you play until all the planets are claimed, so there is a game clock / set number of rounds based on the number of players.

There is also a clan track where you can earn honor by influencing eight different clans, either by moving them up your own track or down another players track.

What’s great about Starship Samurai besides the theme and awesome mechs, is how much strategy you get from a simple rule set.

If you like the base game, there’s an expansion out now that adds two new mechs and 40 new cards.
Old April 15th, 2019, 02:41 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Thanks for the feedback Rudy!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games