Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old December 5th, 2019, 04:26 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: [Pod 0] Velnesh Alphas (Leyline Phantoms) - Editing

LEt's bring it to design and see what we can hash out.
Old December 8th, 2019, 01:04 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
So do we want to move back to Design to change Blink to a Shift-trigger (or something else), or just change it up and keep moving?
I could see us continuing forward with Blink being a ranged Shift trigger, but if we're brainstorming a bigger change then I think that moving back to Design would be prudent.

Personally, I lean more towards the latter option because I don't think that the ranged Shift trigger fully addresses Scytale's points, but I could get behind trying out this direction first if that's what we're feeling.
A ranged Shift trigger does leave two different timings, but also simplifies their teleports into just one style. I think that goes a long way toward making the theme more cohesive. Here's what it would look like:

SHIFT
Before or after moving, you may place a Velnesh Alpha on any empty space within 2 spaces of its current placement. Velnesh Alphas will not take leaving engagement attacks while Shifting.

BLINK
When a Velnesh Alpha is targeted for a normal attack by an opponent's [non-adjacent] figure, you may move that Velnesh Alpha with Shift.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 8th, 2019, 03:32 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'm a little leery of giving a figure the ability to teleport freely when targeted. The "targeting" phase of an attack is already pretty shaky rules-wise, so giving a figure the ability to move from one position to any other potential one during that phase raises a lot of questions we'd have to answer.

For simplicity's sake, we could just allow the Alphas to Shift after successfully defending against any normal attack, or any ranged normal attack.
Old December 8th, 2019, 03:51 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
For simplicity's sake, we could just allow the Alphas to Shift after successfully defending against any normal attack, or any ranged normal attack.
I like this a lot more if we want to keep this direction. If they have 4 defense, they'll generally be able to take a few hits anyway, and it feels more approachable than getting into the targeting business.

Here's a draft of what that could look like:
Quote:
BLINK
After a Velnesh Alpha rolls defense dice against a normal attack and is not destroyed, it may immediately use its Shift Special Power.
This could be frustrating for melee squads if they can just Shift out of engagement after one successful defense, but I'd like to test it out working against melee first. That also does simplify the teleport triggers to (1) before moving, (2) after moving, or (3) after defending (instead of after defending against range), which is at least simpler than what we were going with.
Old December 10th, 2019, 10:05 PM

Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Captain Stupendous is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
I like this a lot more if we want to keep this direction. If they have 4 defense, they'll generally be able to take a few hits anyway, and it feels more approachable than getting into the targeting business.

Here's a draft of what that could look like:
Quote:
BLINK
After a Velnesh Alpha rolls defense dice against a normal attack and is not destroyed, it may immediately use its Shift Special Power.
This could be frustrating for melee squads if they can just Shift out of engagement after one successful defense, but I'd like to test it out working against melee first. That also does simplify the teleport triggers to (1) before moving, (2) after moving, or (3) after defending (instead of after defending against range), which is at least simpler than what we were going with.
I think this could work. Another option would be to stay with the current version of Blink and just replace Shift with Phantom Walk. I think Blink is a unique enough ability to differentiate them from the Ninjas of the Northern Wind.

This would give us:

LIFE 1 (3 figures)
MOVE 6 / BASIC 5
RANGE 1 / BASIC 1
ATTACK 4 / BASIC 4
DEFENSE 4 / BASIC 4

100 POINTS

PHANTOM WALK
Velnesh Alphas can move through all figures and is never attacked when leaving an engagement.

BLINK (I prefer the name PHASE SHIFT for this power but that's a quibble)
When a Velnesh Alpha is targeted for a normal attack by an opponent's figure, you may place that Velnesh Alpha adjacent to the attacking figure. Velnesh Alphas will not take leaving engagement attacks while Blinking.
Old December 11th, 2019, 11:44 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I think the "before or after moving" thing is pretty key to the design, for me.
Old December 13th, 2019, 11:49 AM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

SHIFT
Before or after moving, you may place a Velnesh Alpha on any empty space within 2 spaces of its current location. Velnesh Alphas will not take leaving engagement attacks while Shifting.

BLINK

Looks solid guys.

Long live heroscape
Old December 13th, 2019, 08:06 PM

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Long eared bat View Post
SHIFT
Before or after moving, you may place a Velnesh Alpha on any empty space within 2 spaces of its current location. Velnesh Alphas will not take leaving engagement attacks while Shifting.

BLINK

Looks solid guys.
Still not 100% jazzed by "before or after" myself, but I can get behind this. Triggering off normal attacks is very ninja-esque, but at least their teleports are a consistent style.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 21st, 2019, 04:31 PM

"Before or after" makes perfect sense to me, honestly. I think we're in a good place. We should keep Evasive in mind for later, though.
Old December 22nd, 2019, 09:17 PM

I think "before", "after", and "before or after" can all make the same amount of sense from a theme perspective, but the first and second aren't nearly as AP-prone as the third. Then again I suppose the board state can dictate what your options are on any given turn to an extent. Either way, I don't think fewer options here would necessarily be a bad thing.

Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old December 31st, 2019, 02:39 AM

Bumping this. Are we good to run them through the checklist?
Old January 14th, 2020, 01:37 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Bumping this. Are we good to run them through the checklist?
I'm good with the changes in the OP. If there's nothing else, then I think that we should be good to run these updates through the checklist now.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs