Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old September 10th, 2019, 08:50 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 9/8/19: Skrit]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Loooooove her. I love the mini and attempted to do a treatment of it a while back, but I never felt like I got it right. Skrit is great.
Thanks for the kind words! I'm happy to know that you enjoy her.
Old September 11th, 2019, 09:13 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
SKRIT
Ratfolk Alchemist

QC3 Customs Contest - Potions in the Dark (1/1)

The figure used is Ratfolk Alchemist from the Pathfinder Maze of Death set. Skrit is a single-spaced figure.

CHARACTER BIO:
Spoiler Alert!

CARD TEXT:
Spoiler Alert!

DESIGN NOTES:
Spoiler Alert!

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
  • N/A
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • N/A
As always, any comments or feedback are appreciated.
A suggestion: Make him a Tricky Rogue. Size and appearance, Roguish. Powers, Tricky. Elaria ‘s influence and the ability to take a turn before a Brigand on the same Order Marker, priceless.

Old September 11th, 2019, 01:34 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Thanks for the suggestions, @kolakoski !

I actually considered making Skrit a rogue originally, but it didn't feel quite as right as alchemist did thematically. She's not a super skilled rogue with the normal hallmarks of disengaging and avoiding damage, but she is still able to use her potion to disorient the enemy and get in a good sneak attack if the chance presents itself. It's close, but I think that the distinction between rogue and alchemist do present different themes here.

It would largely be a mechanical change to provide bonding with Brigands, then, which I'm not crazy about. They already have Darrak Ambershard (and potentially the Beakface Rogues) as a cheap Sneak Attack option, and adding bonding to the design as-is would probably necessitate a price bump because it'll be much easier to set up Skrit on the right maps. I'm fine with her falling outside of normal synergy webs because there's still plenty of creative things that can be done with the movement powers at 40 points.

I could see a Tricky personality, though. It admittedly feels like a better fit for Ullar than Terrifying, although as a personal preference I feel like Tricky is overused and doesn't convey a consistent theme anymore. If the contest hadn't specified using a Terrifying personality, I still might've gone for it in the original place, so I'll have to think about which one feels more natural.
Old September 15th, 2019, 02:20 AM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

Rogue feels more like you’re shunting her into synergy, where as an alchemist the soft synergy is fairly wide.
Old September 30th, 2019, 04:24 PM

Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 9/30/19: Undead Samurai]

I'm looking for some feedback on the overall direction of these guys. Their availability won't be good forever, though I've found them to be a really fun addition to the Tagawa Samurai Archers and would like to submit them for SoV review.

They aren't built to really be active fighters since they really only outpace a single Izumi in terms of offense (if you're placing Order Markers on them, then things probably went very wrong), but they provide more board control and make whiffs for the Samurai far less devastating. Against melee, being able to tie down figures for the rest of the round (or forcing them to try and make it through Counter Strike again) has provided some nice tension. They've been a fun addition in my tests, though I know that there was concern expressed in the past over just how passive they can be in their guard roles.
Old September 30th, 2019, 10:32 PM

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!

I've mentioned this once or twice, but for me I just don't see their place. The mechanic of being destroyed at the end of the round makes them almost useless to me. It's very possible it's just a playstyle thing and that I just wouldn't properly make use of them.
Old September 30th, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
I've mentioned this once or twice, but for me I just don't see their place. The mechanic of being destroyed at the end of the round makes them almost useless to me. It's very possible it's just a playstyle thing and that I just wouldn't properly make use of them.
They definitely aren't something that turns around the entire Samurai army, but I have found them to have uses despite their ephemeral nature. Against melee, it can be particularly nasty to tie down figures for OM2 or 3, forcing them to either attack the Seishin to clear out the board or to risk a leaving engagement attack while you reposition your figures. Their uses against range are considerably more limited, of course, given that they only get an initial movement of 3 spaces, but they can still hold glyphs or try to block off key points on the map for a bit. It's not a utility that you want to take 4x of them for or anything, but they do have uses in protecting your living Samurai for just a bit longer.

Your comment does make me wonder about removing Fading Curse altogether, though. That makes it more enticing to take more of them at the expense of your other Samurai (since they become a lot harder to place), though it also becomes a lot easier for them to fall into a bad position and for your opponent to then ignore them to essentially negate their presence.
Old October 1st, 2019, 03:51 AM

Yeah, I know you’ve been working on the “remove these guys” gimmick really hard and I don’t want to downplay that effort, but I think that mechanic could be better served on a different design and free you up to make these guys a little bit more impactful. As it is, I wouldn’t bother spending 25 on them if they literally only exist for less than one round at a time and never really take turns themselves.

Maybe give them something where they can take OMs from dead Samurai or something. Though that may not pass muster.
Old October 1st, 2019, 04:16 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

What if Fading curse wasn't a guaranteed destruction? Make it something like standing on a lava field, and you roll an attack die for each one, on a skull you remove them. So the curse could fade, but it might not.

I feel like it would be more thematic if they had less than 4 defense. While they were living, they had 5 (unless they were Kozuke) and I think it makes sense that the dead version would be a bit slower.
Old October 1st, 2019, 10:49 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I agree with PK on this that the design is being held back by the fade-away mechanic.

You want something fun, replace Fading Curse with something like:

Undead Army
When taking a turn with Seishin Samurai, you may move and attack with all Seishin Samurai you control.
Old October 1st, 2019, 01:18 PM

Yeah, maybe with a more Samurai-ey name. That would be fun, and make the enemy have to really think about how many Izumi he destroys in a turn. Couple with a price drop (I'd say 20).
Old October 1st, 2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf_It View Post
What if Fading curse wasn't a guaranteed destruction? Make it something like standing on a lava field, and you roll an attack die for each one, on a skull you remove them. So the curse could fade, but it might not.

I feel like it would be more thematic if they had less than 4 defense. While they were living, they had 5 (unless they were Kozuke) and I think it makes sense that the dead version would be a bit slower.
Making Fading Curse a die roll rather than a guaranteed destruction or survival would be a good compromise between the two directions.

My original draft of them had 3 defense, actually, but I found it unsuited to their playstyle as protectors when moving them from Uncommon to Common Heroes. I don't want to lower it for this iteration as engaging the attacker with another 5 defense counterstriker is their main selling point, and the lower attacking power and move already represent their loss in efficiency. If they become more active as with Scytale's suggestion, then I'd be fine with testing out 3-4 defense again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
I agree with PK on this that the design is being held back by the fade-away mechanic.

You want something fun, replace Fading Curse with something like:

Undead Army
When taking a turn with Seishin Samurai, you may move and attack with all Seishin Samurai you control.
It seems like a lot of fun, but are you not concerned about the scaling for this? The Seishin are designed to work with the Tagawa Samurai Archers, so theoretically this could be all kinds of wonky outside of the 500 point format. The fact that each Seishin is so slow and expensive combats this (making a pseudo 4-person squad with 3 attack of them costs 100 points on its own, ignoring that each can only be placed with deaths), but I'm a little concerned about how potentially doubling the effective life of the Samurai squads if the Seishin keep coming back will affect higher point total games.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards