Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Music
Music Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old September 25th, 2008, 11:45 AM

cabbageheat is surprisingly tart
Re: Concerts you have attended

I have rarely visited the concert venues (and one of my biggest regrets was never seeing Nirvana in concert many years ago) But here are the 3 concerts I've been to in my entire life. One of which just happened, and the other is happening in November. Lame. . . I know.

Huey Lewis (1985) man that was a long time ago
Weird Al Yankovic x1 Freaken great concert (this past August)
Metallica x1 (this November and can't freaken wait)
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbageheat View Post
here are the 3 concerts I've been to in my entire life. One of which just happened, and the other is happening in November.
This math and the tense just don't work out...

Jim

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:34 PM

Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby! Roland rolls all skulls baby!

Lets see my first was Children of Bodom, Trivium, and Amona Marth, then Inland Invasion '06, then I did Warped Tour '07, saw Spill Canvas after, and a few local shows here and there.

DWARVES!
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:31 PM

Oyhedwig has disabled reputation

Haven't posted in awhile,but this thread caught my attention. A lot of great stories and bands listed here. I have quite a long list myself, my first being the HORDE festival in 1995. It was Blues Traveler's thing they did every summer, and the headliner was the Black Crowes. Also on the bill were Ziggy Marley and Joan Osborne, who was just coming up at the time. It was incredible. I've been to a lot of great shows since then, but the festivals always stick out the most to me. The most recent one I attended was also the best. Back in July I went to the All Good music festival here in West Virginia. It was a weekend camp-out festival featuring Widespread Panic, Gov't Mule, Derek Trucks / Susan Tedeschi, Michael Franti, Mike Gordon, and my personal favorite, Phil Lesh and Friends. Another great group played a late night slot, Dark Star Orchestra. They recreate Grateful Dead shows, and do a great job. If anyone is in the area, or knows anything about West Virginia, the festival is held every year near Morgantown. This past summer's festival was hands down the best show I've ever seen. I highly recommend going if you are a fan of these types of artists. But you've got to have endurance to catch it all.

My Deathwalkers climb.
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

I've been to quite a few -
Some of the more memorable ones are -
Audio Adrenaline, Jars of Clay, DC Talk - all before they were big...in the Christian scene at least
KISS - 3 times
Skid Row - twice
Lynyrd Skynyrd - 3 times
ZZ Top, Ted Nuget (that was interesting), Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Tessla, Living Sacrifice (Christian Death Metal at its best!!), Def Leppard, Tom Petty, Eric Clapton, Bon Jovi, Sanctus Real, and the best for last...ALICE COOPER!!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:00 PM

Paladin has disabled reputation

My favorite concerts were U2,

Once for the Elevation Tour
Once for Popmart
Once for the Vertigo Tour (for my birthday, and it was great. Bruce Springsteen was a surprise guest!)

I also saw Duran Duran and were pleasently surprised at just how good they sounded live.

I saw Ray Charles at Musikfest, and well as Huey Lewis. Both were okay.

"We scorch the earth, and set fire to the sky, we stoop so low to reach so high"
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I have rarely visited the concert venues (and one of my biggest regrets was never seeing Nirvana in concert many years ago)
I'll recap my experience as I liken it to discovering Heroscape at just the right time - early on and what a wave to ride! Such great memories, so I'm sorry for all the exlamation marks.

First time:
In college and after work, my bandmate and I decided to try and catch Sonic Youth at the Fillmore. We had no tickets and figured we'd try our luck once we got to the venue. Sure enough, we bought some scalper tickets and got in line. There on the marquee in smaller plastic words beneath SONIC YOUTH, was NIRVANA. Huh? Who?
Of course we were blown away by their performance - even better than SY even though it was priceless seeing Kim Gordon's expression when my friend yelled, "Kim, spit on me!!!!"

Kurt never said anything between songs and while tuning up. The banter was left to Chris the bass player. Making odd, off the wall remarks.

Second Time:
Six months later and with the album BLEACH in my collection and the little cassette tape wearing thin, that same friend gives me a call to say that KALX, the UC Berkeley radio station, is giving away free tickets to a Dinosaur Jr. show at the Fillmore with openers, Nirvana!
All one had to do was call in when the radio station played Dinosaur Jr. I didn't know much Dinosaur Jr. music, so it took me a better part of a minute to recognize the song once it was aired. So I started dialing the phone....AND WON THE TICKETS!!!!!

Nirvana was fantastic again. Their show opened with Kurt playing this song 'Polly' by himself on stage. At the end of the show, he casually hops off the stage and exits through the crowd - right past me!

Months go by and Nirvana's next album is all I can think about.
When it is released, I go into Rasputin records and buy their only cassette and CD copy of the album that's in the store!

Third Time: with the album so huge, they return to the Fillmore again and play an amazing show!

Fourth Time: At the Cow Palace with openers Breeders, L7, and Disposable Heroes of Hipocrisy for a fundraiser show for rape survivors in Bosnia-Herzegovina. That was the show where Kurt, on purpose, jumped from on high into the drumset. Stupid and painful to watch.

Fifth Time: With B utthole Surfers at the Oakland arena.
Another good show, but sad to now know it would be the last time I'd see them perform live.
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Beware the Curse

boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker boom knows what's in an order marker

Wow, that's quite an experience. I always wondered how big Nirvana would be now, or what they would have accomplished music-wise, if Kurt had not done what he did.

Good trades: Oogie Da Bruce, EyeOfSauron, Lilnewbie, rodriguez, Jaz1597(x2), GeneralRolando, SlikkRikk, BIGJIM, Lord Pyre

All new 'scapers, check this out:
http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:48 PM

hexplex? knows what's in an order marker hexplex? knows what's in an order marker hexplex? knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Metallica x1 (this November and can't freaken wait)
I saw Metallica in 1994 right after the black album dropped. It was my second MEGA-concert (3 months before I saw Pink Floyd ) and a lot of fun.

Some of my other favorites in no particular order are:
Rage Against the Machine @ ABQ Convention Center
Robert Randolph and The Family Band @ Roxy (NYC)
Nirvana @ ABQ Convention Center
Smashing Pumpkins @ Tingley Coliseum (ABQ)
Fugee's @ Tingley Coliseum (ABQ)
Mad Skillz @ The Cooler (NYC)
Run DMC & WuTang @ Santa Fe Muzik Fest
NoFX @ Sunshine Theater (ABQ)
Necro @ Sunshine Theater (ABQ)
OzzFest (2004 I think, the reunion of the OG Black Sabbath year) Jones Beach (NYC)
Cypress Hill @ UNM S.U.B. Ballroom (ABQ)
Slick Rick @ Pratt Int. Student Union (NYC)
Boot Camp Clique @ Pratt Int. Student Union (NYC)

…ok, now I feel like going to a show tonight.

Edit: OH MY GOD, I forgot TOOL.
Old September 25th, 2008, 06:56 PM

hexplex? knows what's in an order marker hexplex? knows what's in an order marker hexplex? knows what's in an order marker

WARING: Conspiracy Theory Alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom View Post
Wow, that's quite an experience. I always wondered how big Nirvana would be now, or what they would have accomplished music-wise, if Kurt had not done what he did.
You mean if Courtney had not done, what she did.

Sorry for the DP!
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:50 PM

nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby! nicktheant rolls all skulls baby!

The only concert i have ever been to was skillet. (the best christian band in the world!)

Want to Re-base Your DnD Figures? Click here.
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:57 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Living Sacrifice (Christian Death Metal at its best!!)
I saw them a bunch of times and was fortunate enough for the band that I played in to play a couple of shows with them. Their drummer is insane, the best I have ever heard, or seen.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Music