Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum
Misc Customs Project Forum A subforum for all project based customs that generate numerous threads related to the same project.

Old September 1st, 2010, 10:44 PM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker
Re: Greek Mythology Design Thread

OK, the Sirens are yours. I'll bow out of the committee, should be a good way to begin, starting with a neutral unit/squad none of you created.

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old September 1st, 2010, 10:56 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRedChops View Post
OK, the Sirens are yours. I'll bow out of the committee, should be a good way to begin, starting with a neutral unit/squad none of you created.

CRC
I'll start checking it out tomorrow. Looks like there might be a couple things that stand out at the moment.
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:03 PM
On Fire like in NBA Jam!

Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flame Gryphon is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Okay, I have a request. I would, if it's alright, like to choose the miniatures used with the cards. I'm overly anal on their appearences, and I would prefer not to be biased on the card JUST because of some small thing like the figure. Also, after looking at all of the D&D figures, I'm willing to have god and goddess figures. Here are the figures I think would be good;

Sirens
Spoiler Alert!

Spoiler Alert!

Can you defeat a mind such as mine?
Riddler
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:06 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

Flame Gryphon, can you please all those spoilers into a spoiler

Also, this should go in the general discussion thread.
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:06 PM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker

We could have you design the cards so that you would be able to choose the mini.

Old September 1st, 2010, 11:11 PM

CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker CapnRedChops knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Gryphon View Post
Okay, I have a request. I would, if it's alright, like to choose the miniatures used with the cards. I'm overly anal on their appearences, and I would prefer not to be biased on the card JUST because of some small thing like the figure. Also, after looking at all of the D&D figures, I'm willing to have god and goddess figures. Here are the figures I think would be good;

While I'm not on the committee, I disagree with the choosing of figurines being down to one person - I think the best results here are achieved by committee in other threads.

I also don't think you should have figures based on Gods simply because figures exist that could represent them - unless there is a gameplay reason to include them, I would leave them out, because they will almost certainly unbalance the whole.

Unless they form an all on one centre of a set peice battle I just don't see Gods working gameplay wise.

CRC

CRC's Maps: please consider using one of my maps. I'd love the feedback.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:35 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I'll start a review of The Sirens. Here's a link to their wiki for anyone unfamiliar with them:

The Sirens - Greek Myth

I started by cleaning up the wording a bit without changing the intent of the card:

Quote:
The Sirens (updates by KC underlined)

Sirens
Unique Squad (2 members)
Race - ???
Guard
Seductive

Life 1
Move 5
Range 1
Attack 1
Defense 4

Medium 4
points 120

Seduction Aura (passive special power, range 4):
When an Order Marker is revealed on a squad unit that has a member within 4 spaces of a Siren and has a Special Power with "bonding" in the title, it may not use that Special Power this turn and you may immediately take a turn with the Sirens.

Siren Song (active special ability, range 4):
Instead of attacking with the Sirens, you may choose one opponent's Hero within 4 clear sight spaces of a Siren and roll the 20-sided die. If the chosen Hero is within 4 clear sight spaces of more than 1 Siren, add 8 to the roll. If you roll an 11 or higher, remove one random Order Marker from the chosen Hero's Army Card.

Hypnotic Jiggle (active special ability, range 4):
Instead of attacking with the Sirens, choose a figure within 4 clear sight spaces of a Siren and roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 16 or higher, move the chosen figure along the shortest possible route until it is adjacent to that Siren. If the chosen figure is engaged prior to moving or becomes engaged while moving, it will take any leaving engagement attacks.

CRC

P.S. Seduction Aura & Hypnotic Jiggle work on both friends and foes.
OK - I don't think I've actually changed how the card works with any of those changes.

To start - I think it should be a 3-member squad as there were 3 Sirens. They were bird-women, so I'm guessing their Race should be Birdwomen or something similar (Harpy? I don't think they were actually harpies though). 3 Figures would obviously warrant a point increase, though I'm not sure they're worth 120 as a 2-member squad, so we could playtest 3 figures at 120.

Seduction Aura - I feel like its kind of clunky the way it's currently worded. Instead of focusing on a power with "bonding" in the title (which is what I assume you meant - you could've meant what I'm about to say), could it say "a Special Power that allows another unit to take a turn"? Also, if that happens, I'd suggest we don't restrict it to squad figures. The power would then apply to figures like Kato Katsuro, Ulginesh, the Minions of Utgar and Red Skull, too, and I think would be a bit more thematic.

Siren Song - this is their bread and butter power I think, which means they'll be most effective against Heroes. That's one reason I like Seduction Aura working on Heroes as well. I like this one as worded.

Hypnotic Jiggle - This power I don't know about. At first, I was going to suggest getting rid of it. At the very least, I think we need to change the one line to If you roll a 16 or higher, move the chosen figure along the shortest possible route until it is adjacent to that Siren if possible. That way, we don't have annoying Cyberclaw/Pit Trap questions. I like that the spirit of the power is going to make them take multiple disengagement attacks to get to the Sirens, though. I actually kind of feel like this power should be called "Siren Song", since it was the song that made people want to go to them, and maybe rename the other power?

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:54 AM

Captain Xavious is surprisingly tart

Quote:
I also don't think you should have figures based on Gods simply because figures exist that could represent them - unless there is a gameplay reason to include them, I would leave them out, because they will almost certainly unbalance the whole.

Unless they form an all on one centre of a set peice battle I just don't see Gods working gameplay wise.

CRC
I think they could work, but as someone else mentioned, they should be in their weaker, human forms. This would allow them to still have powers that would make them feel like the appropriate god/dess, but remain within the same general point level.

And I really think Glyphs should be used to represent a God's favor or impact on the battle field. Would make things quite interesting. Perhaps make a map with a shrine to several of the gods, and every one is racing to the various shrines to gain a god's favor? Would make for some interesting scenarios.

By the way, loving the Sirens. But I agree with Killer Cactus for the most part, particularly with renaming Hypnotic Jiggle to Siren's Song, as that seems pretty much spot on with what the siren song did.

Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM

Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker Felindar knows what's in an order marker

I am not sure if you can still find these but the Ology line, I found them at Target, has Pirate and Dragon Ology, and so on. They did Myth ology, they have Large to human scale, 3 inches or so, minis of the Greek gods. If you want to have them be larger than life that may be a good way to go.

Poseidon mini

Also, wile I have not goten anything but the Vampire wars minis from this company those are prety good and If you need more common greeks, and such.

Old Glory minis

God makes us strong for a little while so we can defend the weak.
DnD Customs
Comics Customs
Custom Terain
TREKSCAPE
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:40 AM

Thanks for cleaning the Sirens up kc. I agree that there should be three of them.

Seduction Aura- is a bit wierd to me, but I'll see how it goes when I playtest.

Siren Song- I really like this one, but if you have a 45% chance at taking off an order marker, they should maybe be slightly higher in price or change it to 14 and higher.

Hypnotic Jiggle-Funny title. I think it needs to be changed. It'll be interesting to try. Maybe we could change it so its easier for squaddies to be "caught" and for heroes it'd be harder.

Another thought, would soulborgs be affected by any of these??

Edit: I'll probably playtest with a 2man squad and 3man squad to see the difference.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:46 AM

Captain Xavious is surprisingly tart

Bah, they got souls (er, I think, they are called Soulborgs), why not?

Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:57 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Lawnmower View Post
Thanks for cleaning the Sirens up kc. I agree that there should be three of them.

Seduction Aura- is a bit wierd to me, but I'll see how it goes when I playtest.

Siren Song- I really like this one, but if you have a 45% chance at taking off an order marker, they should maybe be slightly higher in price or change it to 14 and higher.

Hypnotic Jiggle-Funny title. I think it needs to be changed. It'll be interesting to try. Maybe we could change it so its easier for squaddies to be "caught" and for heroes it'd be harder.

Another thought, would soulborgs be affected by any of these??

Edit: I'll probably playtest with a 2man squad and 3man squad to see the difference.
I really think Siren Song is fine at 11 or higher (which is actually a 50% chance). Seeing that this unit isn't really a threat to attack, their power lies in controlling the opponent so I think this should be a relatively easy power to activate. The Mind Flayer Mastermind's OM removal power goes off at around 50% when he's attacking a 3 defense figure, and it's better when the defense is lower and I don't see a problem with him.

I'd be in favor of changing the title of Hypnotic Jiggle to Siren Song and changing Siren Song to something else, or finding a way to combine both powers into one and call it Siren Song. I think this could be done since they're both "Instead of attacking", but it might make for a power that's too complicated. In that same vein, I'm fine with Heroes and squads requiring the same roll. This card is already going to be full of words and I'd rather not add anymore, personally.

Soulborgs would be affected by any of these powers, as they still have a soul. If I was worried about anyone not being affected, it would be Undead, but I think that just complicates the power and is unnecessary.

Also, should there really be a "clear sight" limitation on Siren Song? Do the Sirens have to see their target or do they just sing whenever and people hear it and go to them?

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Misc Customs Project Forum