Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old April 19th, 2009, 09:44 PM

NelsMonsterX is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Why have unique factions if they all mix anyway?

OK, getting a pretty firm grasp on the game now. The only thing that bugs me is how there are different factions, but an army can contain any mix of anything. I understand that it's basically Utgar vs. Everyone Else now, which is cool. What I don't understand, however, is why would Utgar and Jandar ever work together? Is it just that working within the same group offers better benefits to discourage good & evil harmony armies? Or does it really just not matter and I should shut up and play?

Nelson

Last edited by NelsMonsterX; April 20th, 2009 at 09:59 PM. Reason: Clarify the title per request in thread.
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:51 PM

PresidentAngelus Woo who?
Re: Last n00b post, I promise!

Because, the utgar/all other people can switch sides, OR the army [that you are using] can be neutral. This is explained in the RotV rulebook avaible in the download section.

Last edited by PresidentAngelus; April 19th, 2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: fix
Old April 19th, 2009, 09:52 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

The story line is just that...a story to tie it all together but it really means nothing in gameplay...so going by the two options you gave ...I say go with the second one
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

NMX,

It's a freedom issue. You are free to mix and match if you want. If you prefer to keep things thematic, there are plenty of great armies you can build that way as well. Just go with whatever floats your boat

~Aldin, who admits to having a special place in his heart for single-general armies

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

Jandar and Utgar are probably the two generals I mix the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Jandar and Utgar are probably the two generals I mix the most.
Saith the Lieutenant for whom the support of Raelin hath become ubiquitous.

~Aldin, old fashionedly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:27 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think a really fun army to play is 2 squads of Sentinels of Jandar, 2 squads of Minions of Utgar, Realin, and Taelord. (700 points, so I don't actually use it often) so I obviously have little care for the game's back story. I love reading it, but when it comes to picking an army, I go with other things.

Though I do play mono general armies often simply because I sort my troops by general, and if I have the Einar box in my hand...
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:55 AM

NelsMonsterX is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Thanks for the replies. I often get frightened by too many options! It took me forever to get into Galactic Civilizations 2 (PC game) because there are near limitless options for how to play the game. But now I love it.
Old April 20th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsMonsterX View Post
Thanks for the replies. I often get frightened by too many options! It took me forever to get into Galactic Civilizations 2 (PC game) because there are near limitless options for how to play the game. But now I love it.
Really? I find many options makes a game exciting.

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old April 20th, 2009, 10:07 AM

Kobu knows what's in an order marker Kobu knows what's in an order marker

NelsMonsterX , please change the thread title to match the content of your post. "n00b post" doesn't tell us much.

Don't assume that there is only one way to play. There are scenarios and tournament formats that restrict your army to a single general, and there are enough units for every general but Aquilla to put together a competitive army using just their respective units.

As for mixing, note that there are two specific combos--Tarn Viking Warriors/Valguard and Shaolin Monks/Master Woo--that aren't possible without mixing armies. Then there are a lot more general bonuses like Marcus's Soldier Leadership that affect units across all lines. On top of that, you have units like Raelin and Deathreavers that add utility to basically every army they are placed in.

Finding combos between army types is fun, but if you want a change of pace, it's very easy to change the format to something more thematic.
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think a great way to play would be to limit yourself to just one general for each game. You can still build a competitive army based around one general. In time, after playing with the various factions you'll learn what units you like, and what units that could play well together across faction lines.

72 tournaments. 173 - 142 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.

My goal, play every official 'scape unit in a tournament at least once. 149 down, 55 to go!
Old April 20th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

They seem to be mostly there for flavor, which is something I really like.

If you want to get really involved in the story, that's great, you can. You can build all your armies around a single general, have the good guys, versus the bad guys and all that. Or you can just use it as a strategy game. Do the math and work the angles.

The second way is how I've mostly been playing. I like having Q10, Marro Stingers, KMA's, Izumi Samauri and Thorgrim all on one team. Someday when I have a real strong grasp on the game I'll probably start challenging myself to build powerful armies that are limited by following the same general, but for now I'm just enjoying learning the nuances of the mechanics and strategies of the game.

That's actually part of the reason I have liked Heroscape. If I had wanted no fluff, I would have just played chess. But at the same time I didn't want a system that seemed overburdened with fluff, the way WH40K appears to me.

117-87-0 (4/13/09-2/22/15)
32-16-0 (10/17/09-7/21/12)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion