Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old February 4th, 2008, 06:05 PM

ArgosCap has disabled reputation
I think sloped terrain might look good, but I'd be concerned about the practical issues involved. What would keep a figure from sliding off? The examples you showed are interesting, but they look bigger than Heroscape hexes, and they're flocked, which prevent slippage. But on a sttep plastic surface, there would be problems (especially if the slope went up more than one level). Someone else suggested that you just can't stop on these hexes, which is an interesting idea, but also presents some limitations to gameplay. I've always viewed the elevations on a Heroscape like the rings on a map that shows elevation. Meaning, they may represent a gradual slope, but they are just built for practicality. I don't know, how does everyone else feel? It would make the board look more natural. But you'd have to have a lot of different slopes I think, rising 1-4 levels. Makes me think of the cliffs near my home, where mudslides have left little slopes here and there.

Visit my new site, THE FREE UNIVERSE to explore the universe of public domain and freely licensed characters, settings and story concepts.
Old February 4th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Sloped Hexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHulka
What they really need are sloped hexes in order to form real hills. Like so:

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page390.html[/url]
Sloped hexes would cause problems for determining height of figures and objects. A creature on two different heights could be on the same level and one level above another creature at the same time on a slope. So we'd have to have special rules that say whether or not it gets the extra die for higher ground or not.

And for the fact that the tiles and figures are smooth plastic it'd just be better to have things flat or they would likely slide all over the place. Now having things like the ladders that could allow a hill built on a diagonal might work at least then there wouldn't be any confusion about height.

R~

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:14 AM

darkmask has disabled reputation
ok well im voting for Castle for all five Genrals and Ullar Tree canopys or what ever they are would be AWESOME...

oh and here is a vote for more ruinbs like ruined ships and such.. that would be AWESOME to

PBR Publication Co.

we do it so u don't have to.
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Minnion has disabled reputation
Re: Sloped Hexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHulka
What they really need are sloped hexes in order to form real hills. Like so:

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page390.html[/url]
Sloped hexes would cause problems for determining height of figures and objects. A creature on two different heights could be on the same level and one level above another creature at the same time on a slope. So we'd have to have special rules that say whether or not it gets the extra die for higher ground or not.

And for the fact that the tiles and figures are smooth plastic it'd just be better to have things flat or they would likely slide all over the place. Now having things like the ladders that could allow a hill built on a diagonal might work at least then there wouldn't be any confusion about height.

R~
Not to mention that slope tiles would be difficlut to make and have look right on a non-square shape.

"We are all mad here" ~Cheshire Cat

It is the domain of a geek to seek out meaning in that which seems trivial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doWOd...elated&search=
Old February 8th, 2008, 04:04 AM

kr-zeronos has disabled reputation
Okay, here's my contibution!

Castle sets for each general - 5 left!
Ullar - Woodland Fortress or Treetop Village
Einar - Japanese Pagoda Fortress - Maybe even a greek-themed one as well for Spartacus and Sacred Band, etc?
Marro Terrain - More hive-like things, like Liefkicker's stuff
Sci-Fi / Soulborg Factory
Modern / Urban / Industrial
Fountains
Wood Bridges
Waterfalls
Giant Dinosaur skeletons - Maybe ones that are somewhat sunken into the ground a bit. Movement block, but not LoS.

But my most favourite one is the Japanese Pagoda Forest. We should have "general (jandar, etc)" themed expansion sets.

I'd like to see some larger versions of Thalenk Tundra, RttFF, etc. Since it's called "Lava building pack and guards" as a sub-name, why not expand on that?

Also, I'm thinking of a "base" master set. It's got lots of terrain like RoTV, and at least 1 unique hero and 1 unique squad per general. So, this would be all you need to start off with.

But then, Theme Sets. I think SoTM should have been one. Theme sets are like SoTM, but only ~75% of the tiles found in a master set. So, you add them to the Base Master Set, to create a new one! That way Wizards may be able to save money than pulling out a brand new master set... unless it has tons of new features.
(e.g Heroscape Base Set + Swarm of the Marro Theme Set = New set)
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
This is perrenial, but "cave" terrain can be made, such as a thin-walled cavern that nonetheless looks like stacked tiles from the outside (perhaps with a roof that can snap on or off depending on the build).

EDIT: Build waterfalls like ladders.

Old February 9th, 2008, 04:51 PM

humble has disabled reputation
um yeah definitly ships, pirates, waterfalls.

I got nothing.
Old February 9th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgosCap
I don't see any reason why they couldn't do sci-fi terrain. There are robots in Valhalla, and they could build a base there, like the Marro did, right? Or else that type of terrain could be released through the Marvel line.
Quote:
Haha...IAmBatman, I fully agree with your views on how sci-fi terrain fits into the story. Like I said, the Marro built a hive, why wouldn't the soulborgs build a factory?
The Marro Hive is not terrain. It is a living growing creature with a mind that I assume was summoned directly from Marr by Utgar. The Marros did not build it.

The Heroscape comic books do show the Marros in some type of cave structure while interrogating Sgt Drake. Not sure if it is a natural cave or something they built.

I'd like to see sci-fi terrain as well. Just not so sure it is a good fit for Valhalla. How are the soulborgs mining the raw materials? Are there mining vehicles/equipment on Valhalla?

Although I must admit, why would there be Castles on Valhalla? The Kyrie can fly for Pete's sake . There must be a bunch of Valhallans we haven't seen yet that can't fly.

My #1 terrain feature I'd like to see is stackable WATERFALL pieces. Since very early after the release of the first Master set, people have been wanting to stack water tiles to get the waterfall effect. But with only 21 water tiles, you end up using half of them just to get a decent waterfall. (Technically, according to the rules, you're not even suppose to stack water, lava, ice or swamp water tiles.)

The game mechanic would of course be that you can't climb up waterfalls.

My #2 terrain feature would be some type of modular cliff/mountain building tile that was more than a single level in height of course. Not quite sure exactly what it would look like.

Waterfall pieces mixed in with cliff tiles would be an AWESOME combo!!
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:26 PM

ArgosCap has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryLASQ
I'd like to see sci-fi terrain as well. Just not so sure it is a good fit for Valhalla. How are the soulborgs mining the raw materials? Are there mining vehicles/equipment on Valhalla?

Although I must admit, why would there be Castles on Valhalla? The Kyrie can fly for Pete's sake . There must be a bunch of Valhallans we haven't seen yet that can't fly.
Um....why would the Soulborgs have to mine anything? There is obviously plenty of metal in Valhalla. Are you forgetting that Raelin and Kelda's wings are metal??? They may even be robotic (I mean, if you really want to get logical, you wouldn't put metal armor on natural wings, because it would make it almost impossible to fly). If the wings are artificial, that would explain the castles, but suggests, that there is actually a fairly high level of technology on the planet. I mean, these guys aren't totally stone-age. They gave Drake his robotic arm, and gave Deadeye Dan a new gun! So, you ask me, if the kyrie have high technology, then why don't the kyrie all have ray guns. Then you are going to get into some really ridiculous arguments, because then the real question is, why don't the kyrie just summon a bunch of indestructible robots and guys with machineguns and body armor, because in real life, guys with swords wouldn't last that long against them. And here's another great question. If the kyrie don't have the ability to manufacture high tech weapons, why are they summoning warriors that rely on firearms? Won't they run out of bullets pretty fast??? The bullets are coming from somewhere.

If you're telling me that sci-fi terrain doesn't fit into Valhalla for thematic reasons, I think you need to look at the crazy mixed thematics of the whole game. None of it REALLY makes sense. Trying to make rational arguments about a crazy, illogical, magical world just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

My point is simply....it's Valhalla...ANYTHING can happen. It doesn't even have to make sense. And, you know, what happens in Valhalla, stays in Valhalla.

Maybe the soulborgs kill a bunch of metal-winged kyrie and melt down the wings to build their base. That would be a cool backstory!!!

Visit my new site, THE FREE UNIVERSE to explore the universe of public domain and freely licensed characters, settings and story concepts.
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM

knuds64 has disabled reputation
I would like...

- multi-water hexes
- river hexes (rapids and fast running water)
- and deep water for rivers and lakes (figures can not fight but need to swim, unless water special powers)

Later,
Knuds64
Old February 11th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun
Quote:
My point is simply....it's Valhalla...ANYTHING can happen. It doesn't even have to make sense. And, you know, what happens in Valhalla, stays in Valhalla.

Maybe the soulborgs kill a bunch of metal-winged kyrie and melt down the wings to build their base. That would be a cool backstory!!!
Very true. Heroscape reality is up for grabs. The story could be that the first Soulborg factory was made by melting down the remains of fallen comrades. And of course the Soulborgs are very clever effecient builders.
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:01 PM

Sci-fi Messiah has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr-zeronos
Giant Dinosaur skeletons - Maybe ones that are somewhat sunken into the ground a bit. Movement block, but not LoS.
I would really like to see. Especially a half broken skull that would give cover from above too, like an overhang.

I would also like to pitch an idea for an Esenwein Castle for Utgar. Definitely more lava stuff as well.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion