Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games
Card Games Including 'collectable' card games.

Notices

Old December 30th, 2010, 07:06 PM

ICEMASTER is surprisingly tart
Re: Magic:The Gathering

I don't have an archenemy deck of my own yet but I might look into it.

As in the words of rednax.What does neg-rep accomplish that a kindly-worded PM can't, besides possibly angering the recipient?
Old December 30th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I wouldn't go out of my way to get them at a premium, but keep an eye out for the next wave. They are popular, so they'll more than likely keep coming.

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 10:52 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

I’ve played Magic: the Gathering for a couple of years now. I played it because my friends played it. After the cancellation of Heroscape, I didn’t want to support Wotc, so I considered dropping the game. To help me decide, I wrote a review. I figured I might as well post it here for those in a similar situation. Here it is:

Game System: The system looks pretty good, the use of mana is an interesting idea to allow for varying levels of power in the cards. However, mana takes up a large portion of your deck (usually 40%), and it is annoying to lose because you don’t draw enough. The rules for this game are extremely complicated. They take a very long time to learn (and are changed every 5 or so years), and there are still rule arguments almost every game (even though I’ve read the rules multiple times and have been playing for a long time).

Game Quality: All you get is cardboard. You could print them off if you wanted to. But chances are you won’t even be allowed to use proxies. You’ll let a friend borrow some cards, or leave some lying around, and they could get bent, and they’ll have to be replaced for a high cost.

Game Price: M:tG is a very expensive game. You pay up to $80 a card if you want to play competitively. It is a blind purchase game, so you are tempted to blow large sums of money on most likely worthless cards. Competitive decks are around $400, and even casual decks can be expensive. Your group will start with $20 decks, but, to beat one another, will eventually end up buying multiple $60 or more decks.

Game Balance: There is no balance at all in this game. You can have a 1 / 2 with an average ability for 5 mana, and a 2 / 2 with a good ability for 1 mana. There is a ton of power creep in Mtg. The cards just keep getting better and better when new sets are released. (and there are about 5+ sets released every year) Cards are frequently banned as well. Different formats do not solve this issue. It's hard to follow formats in casual play, and in competitive, most of the cards are still not used, and only a few select deck types are competitive. The cards in those decks will go up high in price.

Is it fun?: There are hard counters to almost everything, and with people buying decks just to beat yours, the games become more annoying than fun. Rules arguments are never fun, getting owned by a more expensive deck isn’t fun, getting owned by a counter-your-deck deck is never fun, and owning someone with a more expensive deck is never fun. It’s only fun when you are playing someone with a balanced deck that doesn’t counter yours, which happens very rarely.

“This is the oldest TCG, and it is still around, therefore it is good”: Old =/= good. It’s around because it’s very addicting and has massive support from WotC (weekly tournaments and big prizes), countless numbers of websites, and lots of players. It’s players are almost always people new to gaming that don’t realize there are better games out there, those that have the money to keep up with new sets, those that are addicted, and/or those who play because their friends play.

“One person not buying a game won’t impact sales at all”: Yes, it will. If everyone says that, will any boycott work? If everyone says: “my vote for president won’t matter” are they likely to get the candidate they prefer?

The only way to have balance in this game is if you play as the new sets are released, and you have the money to keep up with it. On top of that, you have to learn a bunch of rules, and deal with bent/torn cards. If you want to be good at it, you have to buy more. The game is very addicting, so you buy deck after deck, and even some blindly purchased cards you didn’t want. Even if you don’t like the game too much, you’ll still want to use what you wasted all your money on.

I can play better card games like Summoner wars, which is very balanced, or Dominion, which, by its game system, has to be balanced. (They’re also both a lot cheaper) If you really want to play this game and have fun, you’ll have to spend a while figuring out the rules, but the duel decks series is often pretty balanced. Of course, then you only have 2 decks to play with.

So, after writing my review, I am confident that stopping playing Magic is a good decision. I see no reason to play; it looks like it’s a pretty bad game. Now, I’ll be playing Summoner wars and Dominion more often. I just need to convince my friends. (the first thing they did when ‘Scape was canceled was buy more Mtg decks, get 2 new people into the game, and now they mock me for not playing and say “HAHAHA, I just blew $35 on Mtg, what now?”)

Last edited by TurtleKing99; January 3rd, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:13 PM

Marro_Maniac is surprisingly tart

"Dominion is a lot cheaper."
That is an obvious lie since you just spent $40 dollars on an expansion set WITH JUST CONTAINS CARDBOARD CARDS! Dominion is a good game, but it is greater than or equal to pricewise then Magic.

p.s.- Stop being so grudgemental.

~~Trolling IRL~~

Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:21 PM
Founder of Democracy

TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby! TurtleKing99 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marro_Maniac View Post
"Dominion is a lot cheaper."
That is an obvious lie since you just spent $40 dollars on an expansion set WITH JUST CONTAINS CARDBOARD CARDS! Dominion is a good game, but it is greater than or equal to pricewise then Magic.
Dominion is a one time buy game. With magic, you have multiple decks of cards that cost at least $20, you buy more over time, from boosters etc. It'll end up being much, much more than the total cost of Dominion. Check the prices of all the Magic you have. I'll bet it's already much higher than the total cost of Dominion.
Old January 2nd, 2011, 11:36 PM

winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness winonavampire wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have to agree with Turtle King on the cost of Magic. The game is designed so that you have to continuously pump money into the game.

Between the expansions being released four times a year, the formats updating with each new expansion, rotating old cards out forcing you to buy new ones, the draft/sealed deck formats forcing you to buy new cards just to play in that specific tournament and the game of Magic is practically a money printing organization for WotC.

However, I think the game has alot of merit. You only need to spend as much money as the people playing with you. If it is just you and your friends, you don't need to spend tons of money everytime a new expansion comes out.

I have never been a pack buyer. I have bought them, but typically, I just buy singles as I need/want them. Of course, I huge amount of money invested into Magic. 10k just in the P9, so my opinion is prolly biased.

Chuck Norris checks under his bed for Q9...

Check out my
customs, maps and mods!

Trades Here.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winonavampire View Post
I have to agree with Turtle King on the cost of Magic. The game is designed so that you have to continuously pump money into the game.

However, I think the game has alot of merit. You only need to spend as much money as the people playing with you. If it is just you and your friends, you don't need to spend tons of money everytime a new expansion comes out.
I enjoy this game quite a bit and I agree I have spent alot of money on it.
But, my friends and I don't buy the 40$-400$ decks. We make it more fun buy each buying some of the new sets and trading for what we like. I enjoy Vampires alot and have a rather good deck that beat Brad's elf deck 2 out of 3 times. I traded my extra Elves for his Vampires we made decks and had a great time. I don't ever plan on going to a Magic tournament(I never planned on going to a heroscape tounament either but I've gone to 3 now.) Got to go put away Christmas decorations. ICE

As in the words of rednax.What does neg-rep accomplish that a kindly-worded PM can't, besides possibly angering the recipient?
Old January 3rd, 2011, 05:59 PM
Empty Fist Shaking Power Codex Architect

Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Confred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I got Ascension: Chronicles of the Godslayer for Christmas and it's already provided hours of fun. It's created by Magic professional gamers.
http://www.ascensiongame.com/

My Customs: Classic, RPG, Supers, Fiction, Space Hulk
Let's take your vision to pristine together.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 07:16 PM
Founder of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMASTER View Post
But, my friends and I don't buy the 40$-400$ decks. We make it more fun buy each buying some of the new sets and trading for what we like. I enjoy Vampires alot and have a rather good deck that beat Brad's elf deck 2 out of 3 times. I traded my extra Elves for his Vampires we made decks and had a great time. I don't ever plan on going to a Magic tournament(I never planned on going to a heroscape tounament either but I've gone to 3 now.) Got to go put away Christmas decorations. ICE
This is how I played. It was pretty fun at first, I hadn't played another game quite like it, where you use monsters to defend a life total. But, eventually our decks got better, and it became less and less fun. The key to it being fun is balance, which is very hard to get. And if you play this game for a while, you'll end up spending tons of money, whether it's casual or competitive. I did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
I got Ascension: Chronicles of the Godslayer for Christmas and it's already provided hours of fun. It's created by Magic professional gamers.
http://www.ascensiongame.com/
Looks pretty cool, like magic/dominion. I might try it out.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 08:17 PM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKing99 View Post
I’ve played Magic: the Gathering for a couple of years now. I played it because my friends played it. After the cancellation of Heroscape, I didn’t want to support Wotc, so I considered dropping the game. To help me decide, I wrote a review. I figured I might as well post it here for those in a similar situation. Here it is:

Game System: The system looks pretty good, the use of mana is an interesting idea to allow for varying levels of power in the cards. However, mana takes up a large portion of your deck (usually 40%), and it is annoying to lose because you don’t draw enough.
Every game is like that. In HS, it's annoying to lose because you didn't plavce your OMs in hte right spots.
The rules for this game are extremely complicated. They take a very long time to learn (and are changed every 5 or so years),
It's a steep learning curve. It may seem complicated, but as soon asyou get it, you get everything.
and there are still rule arguments almost every game (even though I’ve read the rules multiple times and have been playing for over a long time).
In my area, they are more just small questions that are quickly answered rather than arguements. And they only happen maybe once every 3 tournaments.

Game Quality: All you get is cardboard. You could print them off if you wanted to. But chances are you won’t even be allowed to use proxies.
If the event isn't official (usually must contain 8 or more players, playing in a store sanctioned by the DCI), you can use proxies, as long a everyone knows what the card is. I've seen people use proxies before. They tapes paper with the text on it, and had an actual copy in their deck for reference.
You’ll let a friend borrow some cards, or leave some lying around, and they could get bent,
Not if you care for your cards well. HS pieces break if someone steps on them, that's why I don't leave my stuff lying around.
and they’ll have to be replaced for a high cost.
See Game Price comments.

Game Price: M:tG is a very expensive game. You pay up to $80 a card if you want to play competitively. It is a blind purchase game, so you are tempted to blow large sums of money on most likely worthless cards. Competitive decks are around $400,
Woah there! Just because World Champion decks may be a hundred or two dollars, that doesn't mean that all good decks are like that. Noone at my store spent $100+ on any of their decks. The expensive cards in their decks often come from lucky boosters.
and even casual decks can be expensive. Your group will start with $20 decks, but, to beat one another, will eventually end up buying multiple $60 or more decks.
Again, you're going way overboard. I build two kinds of decks: fun decks, and competitive decks. I play my friends with fun decks, this is where balance = fun. YOu can make balanced decks that aren't extremely good and just have fun with them. Then there's my competitive decks. I have 3 right now. One's an updrage from a starter pack, so around an $18 total for the deck. My other two, better decks, are make mostly from really cheap singles, and value at less than $10 a piece. I've placed great in many tournaments using good decks. Valueable cards =/= good deck.

Game Balance: There is no balance at all in this game. You can have a 1 / 2 with an average ability for 5 mana, and a 2 / 2 with a good ability for 1 mana. There is a ton of power creep in Mtg. The cards just keep getting better and better when new sets are released.
In every set, there are good cards, and bad cards. IN the latest set, a ton of the cards stink, but each card can be mediokre or above if used precisely. I haven't found good ways to use some of the cards form the latest set yet, so I think they're bad. There are better cards in every rarity, common through mythic rare.
(and there are about 5+ sets released every year)
4 sets are released every year. 1 block (3 related sets), and 1 core set (with essential, core cards).
Cards are frequently banned as well.
Not a single card is banned in Type 2 (Standard, tournament style). The very few cards banned in the other formats are because they becamse extremely powerful when used with some cards made after them. This is why sets rotate in and out of Type 2.
Different formats do not solve this issue. It's hard to follow formats in casual play, and in competitive, most of the cards are still not used, and only a few select deck types are competitive. The cards in those decks will go up high in price.
Again, false. With anywhere from 4-8 sets in standard at one time, there's tons of options. I think of only 2 formats: casual and competitive. Competitive is Type 2, and casual is anything goes, because it is indeed casual. Also, I don't know about your play enviorment, but the people I play with use diverse decks, some things I've never thought of using together, and some I have.

Is it fun?: There are hard counters to almost everything, and with people buying decks just to beat yours, the games become more annoying than fun.
Where is this "I buy my deck only to beat yours" coming from? This statement seems to drive your report. I don't know anyone who would buy a deck just to beat someone elses. Every card has a counter, or else there would be no balance and some cards would be overpowered. But you should buy a deck that's good in general, not just buying a deck to beat a specific someone.
Rules arguments are never fun, getting owned by a more expensive deck isn’t fun, getting owned by a counter-your-deck deck is never fun, and owning someone with a more expensive deck is never fun.
Losing is never fun, but everyone loses sometimes. Again, I've got no idea what your play enviorment is like, but with mine, if I lose, even if I get completely demolished, it was because of a luck of the draw or something I missed.You seem to take losing harshly.
It’s only fun when you are playing someone with a balanced deck that doesn’t counter yours, which happens very rarely.
See my comments in Game Price.

“This is the oldest TCG, and it is still around, therefore it is good”: Old =/= good.
Very true.
It’s around because it’s very addicting and has massive support from WotC (weekly tournaments and big prizes), countless numbers of websites, and lots of players.
Again, true.
It’s players are almost always people new to gaming that don’t realize there are better games out there, those that have the money to keep up with new sets, those that are addicted, and/or those who play because their friends play.
Every game is good to some people. Some people like games like Magic, and some people don't That's completely opinionated that you think Magic is bad.

“One person not buying a game won’t impact sales at all”: Yes, it will. If everyone says that, will any boycott work? If everyone says: “my vote for president won’t matter” are they likely to get the candidate they prefer?
This is completely true.
The only way to have balance in this game is if you play as the new sets are released, and you have the money to keep up with it. On top of that, you have to learn a bunch of rules, and deal with bent/torn cards. If you want to be good at it, you have to buy more.
Not neccesarily true. See my comments in Game Price.
The game is very addicting, so you buy deck after deck, and even some blindly purchased cards you didn’t want.
Every card has a use, you've just got to find it. Also, buying singles is a great way to get what you want.
Even if you don’t like the game too much, you’ll still want to use what you wasted all your money on.

I can play better card games like Summoner wars, which is very balanced, or Dominion, which, by its game system, has to be balanced. (They’re also both a lot cheaper) If you really want to play this game and have fun, you’ll have to spend a while figuring out the rules, but the duel decks series is often pretty balanced. Of course, then you only have 2 decks to play with.

So, after writing my review, I am confident that stopping playing Magic is a good decision. I see no reason to play; it looks like it’s a pretty bad game. Now, I’ll be playing Summoner wars and Dominion more often. I just need to convince my friends. (the first thing they did when ‘Scape was canceled was buy more Mtg decks, get 2 new people into the game, and now they mock me for not playing and say “HAHAHA, I just blew $35 on Mtg, what now?”)
Comments in red. Good night.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old January 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKing99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICEMASTER View Post
This is how I played. It was pretty fun at first, I hadn't played another game quite like it, where you use monsters to defend a life total. But, eventually our decks got better, and it became less and less fun. The key to it being fun is balance, which is very hard to get. And if you play this game for a while, you'll end up spending tons of money, whether it's casual or competitive. I did.
Hey when it gets that bad we can change over to heroscape, Zombies!!, Dominion or just play Call of Duty so we're covered.

Old January 3rd, 2011, 11:45 PM
Founder of Democracy

Spoiler Alert!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Card Games