Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old October 8th, 2016, 07:05 AM

ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness ozzy-scaper wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

Hi Craig,
Firstly - thanks for the great and enduring game that Heroscape is! I look forward to seeing your next gaming endeavours... My questions are about licensing; I see the original fluff of Heroscape as being perfect for pulling any license into the universe. As a big He-Man fan (check out my Castle Grayskull in the custom terrain forum) I imagined MotU, as well as other 80's franchises (Transformers, Predator, Thundercats, Judge Dredd etc) as having great potential.

How much control do you have re design when working with licensed products? For example, were the Marvel designs (sculpts/powers etc) your HS version of the characters, or Marvel's version of their characters in your universe?

Betty or Veronica...?
Old October 8th, 2016, 08:55 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hi Craig, thanks for your involvement in so many awesome games! I doubt you remember me, but I asked you to sign my Heroscape themed Chedwick and Sven Comic t-shirt at Gencon a few years ago. You did, and the ink is still visible (don't worry, it's been washed several times).

I had one question, one of the games that you worked on was tragically cut short of reaching its full potential, and that game was Battleship Galaxies. I really loved that game. It really needed some more expansions but we never got them. Did you guys actually get around to designing some more stuff and are you able to share any of that information?

Heroscape was cut off and that was a huge shame, but at least we have plenty enough to keep going. I couldn't feel that way about Battleship Galaxies.

I hope someday your new business can make a space battle game at some point. The ones that are around are way too complicated and require either modeling or measuring, which I personally don't like. I would love a space game similar in level to Heroscape or Battleship Galacies. I hope that dream can come true some day.

In the meantime, thanks for taking the time to answer questions! And thanks in advance for your answers!
Old October 10th, 2016, 10:22 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@Craig Van Ness First of all thanks for all your fun work on Heroscape and other games and for joining this site and answering questions now that 1/2 your NDA agreement is null.

I wanted to ask you since it has been 10 years if you can let the cat out of the bag:
Who was responsible for "Hot Lava Death" going on the Volcarren Wasteland box lid tab and how long did it take for Hasbo to find out?

I know it must have made someone at the company mad enough that they ordered it to be covered it up with a sticker at the factory. AFAIK, in a BoardGameSpeak 2004-12-07 Podcast (cannot find a download for it now) someone yelled "hot lava death" and I guess it became a running joke among the Heroscape creators, but who decided to put it on the box and did the actual graphic design for it? I don't know if either your exiting NDA or just whoever did it's pride prevents you from telling, but was hoping you can let us all in on the joke.
Old October 10th, 2016, 11:23 PM
Pssst...

Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Crixus33 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks for all your work on the creation of such an awesome game.

As for a question:
Do you have a go to unit or army type you used in games?

"Hello my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."~Inigo Montoya.

Pssst...
Old October 12th, 2016, 06:49 PM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

When do you consider a game successful?

Just curious. I know you must consider 'scape to be successful...but why?

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Last edited by AMIS; October 12th, 2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Remember nothing succeeds more than a parrot with no teeth...
Old October 15th, 2016, 09:28 AM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyknight View Post
Excellent to have ya back Craig, been a while since I have kicked back at Scapers.

Quick question- when you developed Heroscape did you think it had the chops to hit the market like it did and the staying power to be considered a classic as it has become? Obviously no designer designs a game thinking it will fail, but did you realize how truly unique Scape was at its conception. Kind of like a day you looked across the table at the other designers and said "this is going to be big".
Skyknight,
Yes. We thought we had a good shot at launching a successful game system.
And we may have not said those exact words- "this is going to be big" but we were all excited about launching a new brand, game and story!

We did not know how much of a fan following we would receive, and we really did not anticipate how much fan generated content would be created.
Old October 15th, 2016, 09:34 AM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendal View Post
who in the design team hates Elves so much? he he
I have always hated the elves. Just kidding.

We had plans to grow the elf army. We just didn't get a chance to put it in place.
Old October 19th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Are you interested in playing in a round of Curse of Ne-Gok-Sa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old October 21st, 2016, 11:14 PM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich10 View Post
This is a silly question, but its one that I've debated with a few people. When you pronounce the name "Krug", do you have a short u sound like bug or a long u sound like dude? Btw, there is an excellent French champagne called Krug which uses the long u sound.
Not a silly question at all. It's a great question. There have been a couple threads already (here and here) about how to pronounce Heroscape names, but nothing official.

@Craig Van Ness, was there ever a list made of phonetical spellings for Heroscape names? What would be really cool is if we had sound files with someone speaking each name. I imagine you're pretty busy with the new company, but if it was your voice speaking the names, that would be even more cool.

As far as spelled pronunciation goes, I like the way they do it on dictionary.com.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; October 21st, 2016 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Mention dictionary.com
Old October 22nd, 2016, 01:29 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
AFAIK, in a BoardGameSpeak 2004-12-07 Podcast (cannot find a download for it now) someone yelled "hot lava death" and I guess it became a running joke among the Heroscape creators...
Found it. Geek Speak Ep 12. The thread on BGG is here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/535...craig-van-ness

However, the links for the sound files (AAC and MP3) seem to be broken. But fear not, I found a download of it on my laptop and uploaded it here (temporarily):
https://glasq.com/heroscape/BGS-2004-12-07.mp3

To hear the "Hot Lava Death" (Rob Daviau), skip to 46:30.

It was fun listening to the whole episode again ... a real blast from the past.

Last edited by GaryLASQ; February 13th, 2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old October 23rd, 2016, 01:43 AM
Night of the Living Plastic

Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun Leaf_It is a penguin with a machine gun

I can't believe I never noticed this thread existed. Craig, thank you so much for making my favorite table top game of all time.

Craig, I'm currently looking to try and have custom combat dice made for Aquilla, and Valkrill, because they never got flag bearers. I know you don't work with WotC, or Hasbro anymore, but do you have any suggestions on how to get approval to use the Heroscape dice symbols legally? Any help with this at all would awesome. If I can get the go ahead to do it legally, I'd send you your own set of the dice if you were interested.

What did you personally think of the addition, and theme for the general Valkrill?
Old October 27th, 2016, 06:49 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I have always hated the elves - lol, ok that answers it all for me, thank you so much - I am just glad you guys like dwarves, that is all that matters to Hendal ( my first AD&D Character, and the Dwarf from Sword of Shanara )

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion