Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old May 28th, 2011, 05:33 PM

91030018 has disabled reputation
Heroscape Map Making Guide?

I'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong section of the forum, I don't know where else to place it. I've been looking for a guide for making a heroscape battlefield for 2 days now, and don't seem to be able to find one. I recall reading a guide a year ago, but am not sure if it was in Heroscapers.

Thank you for your help.

What is in a signature?
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:41 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape Map Making Guide?

Maps and Scenarios

-insert signature here-
Old May 28th, 2011, 05:58 PM

lol... I've actually used the Search button and looked for about 5 hours... and never once got to that page.

Well, I suppose I have to give you credit for being the first one to respond.

What is in a signature?
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Do you need help with virtualscape and putting your maps online, or do you need help to actually build tournament-worthy maps? Or both?

Guide to building a map coming soon.

To make a map, I start by choosing a theme. For example, I might want to make a Swamp map with a Castle set and a Jungle set. So I lay out all of the pieces in those three sets. Then, I decide the footprint. Do I want a flying wing map, or a rectangular map, or a diamond-shaped map? (Links are directed to maps by Mad_Wookie, serving as examples to the footprints that I was talking about).

Next, I always try to determine important features of the map. Is there going to be a huge shadow pool? A hill, or multiple hills? How about a castle, or a bridge, etc.?

Usually, the best choice is to spread height around, making for a lot of small hills. Then, I like to have a few points above everything else to the sides of the map.

After deciding on these features, start laying out a starting zone. In most cases, it's just a 24-hex peice. Other good layouts include 3 7-hexers and 3 other tiles, or a random splattering. Other maps even have split starting zones. (Thanks to Dignan's maps). Then, build outwards with other terrain. Plan to place peices on top of others, so if a piece isn't necessary for holding up a peice on top of it, or it doesn't rest on the surface of the map, take it out. 24-hex peices generally only need a few tiles on the edges, and 7-hexes can be easily held up by about 3-4 hexes if distributed right.

Make sure to "bury" terrain that doesn't stick to the map's theme on the bottom as support. Non-aesthetic terrain (for example, splattering rock, sand, and grass all together looks pretty ugly. Don't get me wrong: having a mountain and a "beach" area near each other looks good. But hodgepodging terrain randomly is bad) should not be placed adjacent to each other.

Sticking to the theme I used in the original example, I know that Swamp water, swamp terrain, and sand look good together. Then, I can make a small "bridge" out of the castle terrain that connects either the starting zones or two highly-contested areas, such as height. I still would have sand and rock left over, so I can use that to support the swamp and sand on top. Swamp water is a good "filler" terrain, which I will explain later.

Once the whole map is built, I check over a few things.

1. Are there enough Line-of-sight blockers keeping range from having dominance over the board? (Answer should be "yes")
2. Are height, glyphs, and other advantages placed an equal distance from both starting zone? (Answer should be "yes")

Exceptions, note a few posts down.

3. Are there any points that a player can go to that would block off the map? (Answer should be "no")
4. Does the map favor any special abilities to an insane amount? (Answer should be "no")
5. Is the map generally balanced between melee and range, and both starting zones? (Answer should be "yes")
6. Is the map medium-sized, so that armies will meet quickly, but not too fast or slowly? (Answer should be "yes")
7. Are there too many structures on the board that block movement? (Answer should be "no")

After this, play a few games on the board. Note anything you don't like, and fix it. Then virtualscape it, post it here, and we'll comment or post concerns. Then fix those and play a few games on it again to make sure the fix works.

Virtualscape uploading process is HERE.

Last edited by Robber; June 12th, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old May 28th, 2011, 06:58 PM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91030018 View Post
..................used the Search button and looked for about 5 hours... and never once got to that page. ....................................
You have to upgrade to a faster computer.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old May 28th, 2011, 07:00 PM

Thank you, Robber...
This was the core idea of what I was looking for, thank you. You should probably make a more elaborate and refined guide sooner or later.
But, until then, +Rep

What is in a signature?
Old May 28th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Promising Cartographer

Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness Robber wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks, but remember that you need 30 posts and 20 rep to actually "give" rep. So yours gave me +0.

I appreciate the thought a lot more than the little number that pops up, though, so thanks!

Make some maps and I'll return the favor.
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:18 PM

Oh. Sorry... *sheepish grin*

EDIT: and, yes. will do.

What is in a signature?
Old June 12th, 2011, 04:00 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Robber, this is a GREAT introduction to map making. Hope you do indeed work up a full version someday.
Old June 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
2. Are height, glyphs, and other advantages placed an equal distance from both starting zone? (Answer should be "yes")
Robber, I know most competitive map-makers strive to make sure glyphs are equally distant from both starting zones. But I'm wondering about height. You're the first person I know who's mentioned it as a fundamental principle — it had never occurred to me before. I understand your thinking on it. But it's not something that I see much discussed, and I don't swear by it as an absolute principle given how much LoS blockers affect the worth of any given patch of height. Curious to hear your thoughts.
Old June 12th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Promising Cartographer

Height is extremely fundamental to a map. A large amount of height that is exclusive or much easier to reach by one player over another is just as advantageous as having a glyph that is closer to one side. Most maps are fine having close numbers of spaces required to reach the highest points on a map.

Usually, everything lv 2 and under doesn't need to be as balanced, because it does not change gameplay as much. Some situations are exceptions. Lv 3 to the top level should be close to the same distance from each side, especially if it has strategic importance. The top level should be within 1-2 spaces difference, if not the same number of spaces, from both starting zones.

To clarify, having "his and hers" height should be discouraged in all maps. But I take it to a higher level- all of the strategic advantages on a map, whether it is height, glyphs, or other, should be placed so that each side has completely equal access through the move number it takes to get there.
Old June 12th, 2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robber View Post
Height is extremely fundamental to a map. A large amount of height that is exclusive or much easier to reach by one player over another is just as advantageous as having a glyph that is closer to one side.
But if that area of height closer to one side has limited firing arcs, due to careful LoS blockers, then the fact that it's easier for one side to grab may not always translate into real advantage. That's why, while I can understand making equidistant glyphs an absolute principle, I'm not sure that height need be treated as absolutely.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios