Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old September 29th, 2006, 01:36 PM

countblah has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannister
How about Libraries and Churches? We have held large events in a local church that has a gymnasium. They rent it out for $35 an hour. Both of these have tables and such so...? The church would work for a large gathering but no so much for a first time meeting between 3 of 4 gamers.

Bannister
I just want it on record that Bannister will go to church if properly motivated.

Buddy Lee
Holy smokes, you're right! Someone call the authorities!

Waiting for my old avatar to dry off. And to quit stinking, too.

Old October 1st, 2006, 01:48 AM
SoCal League Member

Detrimentalman is surprisingly tart
Quote:
When I was in Cali for our get together I would say that not meeting the Socal crew would have been a huge loss for me. They are a class act all around and my door is open to anyone of them.
Ditto man!

I haven't really been on the boards, so I just stumbled across this. I have to say *does a little dance* I never did like UD. I've been meeting people from over the internet since I was about 14. I have always just made sure that the first time is in a public and safe place or brought an adult with me. So far with heroscape I haven't really been following those rules, but I have had the benefit of having other members I know vouch for new people so I feel comfortable with it.

I don't think there is a problem meeting people over the internet at all. You just have to be smart and take precautions, especially if you have kids. Any wierd vibes or odd comments you get online though should definately make you take those safety measures a step further.
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:55 AM

Mr. Underhill has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddrew
But I love the Golden Girls, and he has all the seasons
And you guys wonder why you don't get an invitation to my place!!!! Freaks.

J
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:32 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
I had the opportunity to meet one of the members here and it was a good experience. When we were initially going to play some HS at my house upon our fist meeting, some family members of mine thought I was nuts to trust someone in my house with never meeting them before. We ended up meeting somewhere else and hanging out for lunch for scheduling reasons and it was cool.

I guess I had gotten a good vibe about this person while on the net and wasn't really concerned about them coming to my house. After these events lately, I don't know that I would do anything different other than use common sense and my instincts.

Being a painter, I've worked in some scary places in Chicago, Gary and others. I'm used to being aware of my surroundings. Now that I've got my own business, I routinely get calls from people that I've never met before to go to their house and give them estimates. What's to say that someone isn't going to set me up and either roll me or kill me when I give estimates?

Also, once I get jobs, I'm routinely left to work in people's homes alone while they step out for errands or even an entire day at work. Now that's trust on their part.

Common sense, awareness of surroundings and instincts are key to security in any situation. Some people only look just past the hood of their car when driving and don't look further ahead, to their sides or rear (using mirrors of course) to be fully aware of their surroundings. Whereas I want to know what's going on all around me and where I can bail if a situation arrises. Same goes for general personal security and safety. Be aware.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 2nd, 2006, 03:26 PM

DarkSpade Woo who?
First and second times I met anyone from the site(garyLASQ and J-n_P) it was in a game store. Also, since both were bringing their kids, I figured they couldn't be that bad.

Third time I met some scapers, it was in someone's home. I felt okay about it because I was traveling with GaryLASQ, but I will admit I was a little nervous still since We were going to NWOjedi's house. :P Really though, once you've met him in person, you quickly realise he's a really cool guy.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Lancewholelot has disabled reputation
I've met and gamed with several people through this site. Caution is wise but we're not all ultra creeps. May the good times continue.
Old October 9th, 2006, 12:11 AM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
Yeah, thankfully everything's worked out really nicely in that regard here in Houston. I like to give out little snippets of info at a time until I get a good sense about a person before I invite them over. And usually, it's only been one new person at a time at our gatherings so at least we have the numbers on 'em if they wig out
Old October 9th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation
Quote:
Blah..Blah..Blah..
Quote:
Originally Posted by countblah
Blah..Blah..Blah..

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:28 AM
Master Custom Creator

Doc_Savage is surprisingly tart
Wow, did I miss a whole lot. I tend to stick with the rules and customs sections and have been busy at work, but I missed all this for weeks....

I just read the 2 UD threads and I am feeling for Sky and his family. I'm glad that the real badness was shut down before it could start.

I have tried to walk the line between open and wary of posting personal stuff on the net. I will probably now tread a step closer to the wary.

"Just let the dirt shower over you" - Brennan Huff
"Do Good, Avoid Evil" - Charles N. Mahlman
Check out my Custom Cards
Check out my blog: http://docsavagetales.blogspot.com/
Old October 22nd, 2006, 01:31 AM

countblah has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannister
Quote:
Blah..Blah..Blah..
Quote:
Originally Posted by countblah
Blah..Blah..Blah..

Bannister
That's all you hear when I talk, ain't it, Bannister?

Waiting for my old avatar to dry off. And to quit stinking, too.

Old October 22nd, 2006, 04:22 AM

bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer bunjee is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Savage
Wow, did I miss a whole lot. I tend to stick with the rules and customs sections and have been busy at work, but I missed all this for weeks....

I just read the 2 UD threads and I am feeling for Sky and his family. I'm glad that the real badness was shut down before it could start.

I have tried to walk the line between open and wary of posting personal stuff on the net. I will probably now tread a step closer to the wary.
Always a safe bet, but make sure you keep that rules lawyer of yours well informed about both the positive and the not so positive adventures on the internet. I wouldn't want people to think we're all nutcases.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM

gibberish_47 Woo who?
...Just some of us are crazy...

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events