Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations
Comic Hero Custom Creations Any comic book customs and the discussions surrounding them

Notices

Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:54 PM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Superhero Campaigns

An interesting concept and potentially a lot of fun, but I don't see any way how it could be thematic (as currently discussed) unless you went with a generic hero.

Some characters just shouldn't be able to do certain things on the proposed list IMO. At least to me, we would see some thematic failures.

Now, that being said, I do see some possibilities with some of the more generic ones such as "plot twist" or "sacrifice". These kinds of things do not have those thematic connections and are instead, germane to the entire medium of super heroes.

It is sort of what I was after a couple years ago when I created my "limiting factor" cards. While my cards were primarily attempts to give more obstacles to heroes by powering up the villains, in a lesser way, they were kind of what you are talking about, namely attempting to bring in other elements of comics to give it a more "in progress" or fluid feel.

I think it bears exploring.

The other idea I have toyed around with is giving each character in my home games one custom auxillary card, sort of like some have done with things like utility belts or what other people have done with Beast Boy. After a certain point (XP in your example), heroes can add this one card to boost their character:

Spider-Man might add his more powerful suit. Iron Man might add some high tech gadget. Hawkeye might gain more leadership skills. Scarlet Witch goes from a pop-gun shooter to the massively powerful mutant she becomes late in her run.

I know you have expressed that isn't what you are looking for (character specific boosts), but as a side project, it also has some possibilities.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:56 PM
Caretaker of the Custom Realm

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Cool, glad you like it!

I updated the first post with the corrected and updated list.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 10:58 PM

GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun GreyOwl is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgermaniac View Post
An interesting concept and potentially a lot of fun, but I don't see any way how it could be thematic (as currently discussed) unless you went with a generic hero.

Some characters just shouldn't be able to do certain things on the proposed list IMO. At least to me, we would see some thematic failures.
I considered that, but decided to leave it up to the players. Since it's optional which action someone performs, they can pick and choose the ones they consider thematic. That may even change for the same character, depending on the scenario.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:05 PM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyOwl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgermaniac View Post

I considered that, but decided to leave it up to the players. Since it's optional which action someone performs, they can pick and choose the ones they consider thematic. That may even change for the same character, depending on the scenario.
Very true. If you don't want Hulk being sneaky, don't give him the upgrade.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:06 PM

Sneaky Hulk would be cool.
Old November 2nd, 2010, 11:08 PM
Let me help you play with yourself!

Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby!

Yea, from observing what you have posted this doesn't seem at all like I was imagining. But it does seem like there are others interested in the idea of acquiring and adding new abilities to either create your own Hero or beef up an existing one. I'm already busy enough with Heroes of 'Scape, so I couldn't tackle that alone, but if someone or a group of you wants to take on that task I will be ready and willing to help you out as much as I can.

As for what you have going Grey Owl, I think this would make a pretty fun way to tie in some scenarios. Your system is definitely not the core of the game, its pretty much like having an Item Shop that you can purchase stuff in between matches. I think you could easily adapt it like a reward system. The heroes get funds for helping the town and defeating villains. The villains get money from the heist they just pulled off. This is of course addition to points given from killing stuff.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiyu0707 View Post
As for what you have going Grey Owl, I think this would make a pretty fun way to tie in some scenarios. Your system is definitely not the core of the game, its pretty much like having an Item Shop that you can purchase stuff in between matches. I think you could easily adapt it like a reward system. The heroes get funds for helping the town and defeating villains. The villains get money from the heist they just pulled off. This is of course addition to points given from killing stuff.
That was kind of the idea. I was going for more of a light, subtle touch rather than something that would overtly change the cards and make the figures more powerful permanently. So I guess not so much an RPG, but just a way that players can feel some progress and growth. If they save up and plan, they can do some powerful things once in a while, but it would be very difficult to completely dominate games repeatedly.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:16 PM

Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby! Kaiyu rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Quote:
That was kind of the idea. I was going for more of a light, subtle touch rather than something that would overtly change the cards and make the figures more powerful permanently. So I guess not so much an RPG, but just a way that players can feel some progress and growth. If they save up and plan, they can do some powerful things once in a while, but it would be very difficult to completely dominate games repeatedly.
I'm not sure you can call anything that's not permanent "growth." Like when you're playing a card game (thinking TCG-style), you don't feel like you're growing when you draw new card into your hand. You feel more equipped, but without some sort of noticeable, permanent change to your game it wont feel like growth. A player could burn out all of their purchased actions in one game and then they'd be back to square one, and they will have ended exactly as they started.

If you want there to be a "growth" feeling aspect to the game, you'll need to take a different route.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:18 PM

I was thinking that the growth is in the accumulation of action points. But I see your point, because they're consumable. Perhaps there could be some sort of incentive to save the action points rather than spending them?
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I was thinking that the growth is in the accumulation of action points. But I see your point, because they're consumable. Perhaps there could be some sort of incentive to save the action points rather than spending them?
Then what's the point of them?

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea you have. But if the gratification that comes from growth, leveling up, etc. was your intent in this project, then you'll have to try something else. And who's to say it has to be instead of what you already posted. I DO NOT recommend permanent stat changes. If their will be any stat changes at all it should be semi-permanent, such having a gun with limited ammo (add 1 to a non-adjacent attack, only 6 uses) or having armor that breaks down (add 1 to your defense, only 10 uses).
Old November 3rd, 2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Strategic options. A choice between spending points and pulling off an action, or saving the points and doing....something else. The freedom of having that choice is something lower "level" figures wouldn't have.
Old November 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Strategic options. A choice between spending points and pulling off an action, or saving the points and doing....something else. The freedom of having that choice is something lower "level" figures wouldn't have.
I know what the point of the actions were, but if you give the players incentive to not spend them, then they hold little meaning and they might as well without them. Unless of course the trade off for the temporary actions would be permanent or semi-permanent upgrades. The ol' "patience is a virtue" vs. "instant gratification" game design trick. The the stuff that pays out in the long run always cost more, but you have to work harder and stay weaker longer to get it. This may also be a solution to your lacking growth problem. Something to ponder anyways...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations