Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old December 24th, 2017, 08:25 PM

chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death!
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

I have a billion commentary tracks for different parts of the Trilogy. But I've never seen them, because of how long it would take!
Old December 24th, 2017, 10:51 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Watched Coraline with my daughters tonight. Creepy and cool stop motion type of movie.

https://g.co/kgs/e8XQrw

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old December 25th, 2017, 02:57 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
My son and I watched Bright on Netflix yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Itís a very fun buddy cop action movie with a pretty original theme. It wasnít perfect, but we liked it a lot. I thinks itís an awesome setting, and Iím looking forward to the sequel to get more backstory on the world.

It's funny that a lot of people seem to like this movie, though the critics ripped it apart. I wonder if the critics are giving it a hard time because it is Netflix original and not typical Hollywood studio.
If you check Rotten Tomatoes, the critic rating is around 31% positive, but the audience rating is around 89% positive. My tastes usually donít coincide with those of the critics; apparently Iím more of an audience guy.

Itís not a perfect movie, but itís a fun action romp in one of the neatest settings Iíve seen in a long time, very similar to Shadowrun, if it existed right now. I recommend giving it a try. One thing to keep in mind if youíre thinking of sharing it with kids: it definitely would fall in the R-rated category, mostly for language and some violence,
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:43 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
My son and I watched Bright on Netflix yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Itís a very fun buddy cop action movie with a pretty original theme. It wasnít perfect, but we liked it a lot. I thinks itís an awesome setting, and Iím looking forward to the sequel to get more backstory on the world.

It's funny that a lot of people seem to like this movie, though the critics ripped it apart. I wonder if the critics are giving it a hard time because it is Netflix original and not typical Hollywood studio.
If you check Rotten Tomatoes, the critic rating is around 31% positive, but the audience rating is around 89% positive. My tastes usually donít coincide with those of the critics; apparently Iím more of an audience guy.

Itís not a perfect movie, but itís a fun action romp in one of the neatest settings Iíve seen in a long time, very similar to Shadowrun, if it existed right now. I recommend giving it a try. One thing to keep in mind if youíre thinking of sharing it with kids: it definitely would fall in the R-rated category, mostly for language and some violence,
Yeah, I tend to not rely on critics either. I just found it unusual how far apart the critic vs viewer opinions were and how some critics were basically calling out Netflix as failing at their movie attempt. I wondered if there was something else going on behind the scenes.

My twin daughters will be 15 in February and are really mature as far as movies and television goes. They've seen Logan, all the Netflix Marvel series', all the Marvel movies, Into the Badlands series on AMC, The Walking Dead and stuff like that. Non of that bothers them and I'm always there to explain anything they need. So I think we'll for sure try Bright, we just have to watch The Return of the King first

Old December 25th, 2017, 12:25 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I tend to not rely on critics either. I just found it unusual how far apart the critic vs viewer opinions were and how some critics were basically calling out Netflix as failing at their movie attempt. I wondered if there was something else going on behind the scenes.

My twin daughters will be 15 in February and are really mature as far as movies and television goes. They've seen Logan, all the Netflix Marvel series', all the Marvel movies, Into the Badlands series on AMC, The Walking Dead and stuff like that. Non of that bothers them and I'm always there to explain anything they need. So I think we'll for sure try Bright, we just have to watch The Return of the King first
I haven't watched Bright yet but was planning on it soon. Was talking to a couple of friends last night who both watched it already (separately) and both enjoyed it. I too have seen the big divide in critic vs. audience response and can't say I'm all too surprised. I feel the critic viewpoint is being clouded by a combination of two different things.

One, I do think that some of them feel threatened by the fact that it was a ~$90 million Netflix movie not released to a theater. They make their living on the established Hollywood film studio to theater system that has been a fixture in American pop culture for the last 70 years or so. Change can be hard to accept, especially when your career, and possibly identity, are so closely tied to the status quo. I can understand their nervousness too. If Netflix can produce and release a steady stream of good big studio films directly to everyone's home where they can immedietly watch it without buying a ticket, what do people need the critic's opinion for?

Two, while the Hollywood elite has slowly grown to accept the idea that the sci-fi setting can be used to tell good and meaningful stories, they still are very resistant to fantasy, dismissing it as a childish medium that is incapable of delivering any real depth. Tolken (and now GoT too) is the only fantasy they can really accept, everything else is looked down at. As such I tend to ignore the critic buzz about a fantasy related film and instead follow my own instincts, glad I did too on Warcraft which I really enjoyed.
Old December 25th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Prickly Cactus

Well said YK. I totally agree!

Old December 25th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
One, I do think that some of them feel threatened by the fact that it was a ~$90 million Netflix movie not released to a theater. They make their living on the established Hollywood film studio to theater system that has been a fixture in American pop culture for the last 70 years or so. Change can be hard to accept, especially when your career, and possibly identity, are so closely tied to the status quo. I can understand their nervousness too. If Netflix can produce and release a steady stream of good big studio films directly to everyone's home where they can immedietly watch it without buying a ticket, what do people need the critic's opinion for?
This makes no sense. Zero. Just the opposite, in fact: the more content is out there, the more valuable a critic can be. You'd have to be an idiot not to see this, as a critic, and I don't think they (for the most part) are idiots. More content = more stuff to write about, and a thicker jungle of material through which I might guide those who are interested in my opinion. More Netflix movies, more tv shows, the better for me as a guy who gets to write about all that stuff.

Remember Baywatch? Or The Emoji Movie? Both got panned by the critics; both were successful at the box office. That's ok. Sometimes audiences are looking for one thing, and critics are looking at another.

You don't have to agree with "critics" for every film, or even for any film. But if I'm a critic, I *love* that there's more content out there. If I'm a critic, I likely wrote unkind reviews about several movies that went on to be successful, and I don't care. I'm not the enemy of the movie or the enemy of the audience; I'm just a guy (or woman) writing what I thought about a piece of art, to share my experience of viewing it.

Pretty much every person is just trying to do his or her job, as you are trying to do yours. No need to attach sinister motivations to something, just because it doesn't match the way you imagine it might have been done differently.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; December 25th, 2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old December 25th, 2017, 05:55 PM
Prickly Cactus

Critics loved The Force Awakens and it was medicore at best. Was it original? Was the acting great? Was there anything that really made it special?

If critics review every single movie they see by the exact same criteria every time, that's one thing, but I don't believe they do.

Anymore, I think critics are less useful. I honestly don't think most people care what some person from "Film Guru" ( I made that up), says about a movie. It's kind of like someone trying to tell you what painting or sculpture is good or crap.

I'll watch Bright with my daughters and if we think it's total crap, then I will reassess my opinion on critics. But if we enjoy it, then I'll keep my opinion on them.

Old December 25th, 2017, 06:25 PM

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Again with "critics," as if they're all on the same team.

Three thoughts:

1) I never said you should care what critics say. For myself, I don't read much film criticism until, if ever, after I've seen a movie. It's interesting to think about how another person experienced the same film I saw. But I never said you should read more of them, or less, or you should care more or less about what they write. They are no more trying to convert you then Stephen King is trying to convert you into reading Stephen King novels. They put it out there; you read it if you want. No interest? Fine.

2) I was only responding to Yodaking's narrow point that he thought the institution of film critics was hostile to Bright because it is somehow threatened by Netflix success. That's nonsense. Obviously, from the critic's perspective, if there are *more* movies to review, that's good for business.

3) I don't know whether you care for Tom Vasel, or Heavy Cardboard, or DriveThruReview, or whatever. Maybe you think TV is simplistic but does a good job expressing what a game feels like, and maybe your tastes line up with the HC crew, or whatever. I don't know. But they're different from each other, and you know as well as I do that if a game comes out and its Metacritic score is "8.5," that tells you very little about the *actual* critical reception of the game. It tells you a bit more if you know the number from each critic, but what really matters is what each critic actually *says*. Film criticism is the same. Boiling the collected works of all competent film critics down to Rotten Tomatoes scores is unfair to the individuals putting in the work.

You don't have to read them if you don't want, but let's not pretend that all they offer is a combined Rotten Tomatoes score. Let's extend them the same courtesy we extend to the board game reviewing community.

Edit:

FWIW, I often disagree with what the majority of film critics say about a movie. That's ok, I'm entitled to my own opinion, as they are entitled to theirs. This year, I thought Jackie Chan's The Foreigner was brilliant, but for whatever reason its merits appear to have been lost on many of those writing reviews. That's ok with me.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; December 25th, 2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old December 25th, 2017, 06:41 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Film review critics are a wide a varied bunch, while some are certainly not at all threatened by the changes within their industry, some certainly are. It is just human nature combined with the fact that not everyone sees the big picture the same way. Some may see it the way you do Dad Scaper, that more entertainment content from any source is a good thing as there will always be some segment of society that wants some help narrowing it all down and thus their jobs are secure. Others though see that they are not being invited to a special per-release screening for a film and feel as they are being pushed out. Or they see a movie drop on Netflix and within 12 hours there are 10,000+ amateur free reviews already posted online somewhere and wonder how long people will still be willing to pay them for their opinion.
Old December 25th, 2017, 07:05 PM

Well, the possibility of "amateur free reviews" is a whole other thing. Like "citizen journalism," it's mostly an unfortunate thing.

Quoth David Simon, police beat writer for the Baltimore Sun before he was the creator of Homicide: Life on the Streets, The Wire, and other shows:
Quote:
Indeed, the very phrase “citizen journalist” strikes my ear as Orwellian. A neighbor who is a good listener and cares about people is a good neighbor; he is not in any sense a citizen social worker, just as a neighbor with a garden hose and good intentions is not a citizen firefighter. To say so is a heedless insult to trained social workers and firefighters.
https://www.democracynow.org/2009/5/..._acclaimed_hbo

Film critics do more than just offer superficial opinions. Like I wrote above, you might not care what they say, and that's fine. You don't have to. Just as you don't have to care what Tom Vasel says, or Joel Eddy says. But you understand, I'm sure, that those guys have some expertise, some bona fides in the industry, and some experience and maybe training in how to present something effectively, including in a meaningful context.

I don't know what you do for a living, but I imagine I wouldn't be able to do it without practice and training, no matter how simple it might look from my outsider's viewpoint. You need more than a cell phone with video and a passion for board games to make videos as well as Tom Vasel does, similarly you need more than an interest in movies and an internet connection to write movie reviews like Janet Maslin.

But that's another subject. Like David Simon said, that's more about the devaluing of expertise then it is about anything else.

Also, FWIW, I thought your comments about fantasy vs. science fiction were interesting. It is curious to me that The Lord of the Rings stands up as great fantasy fiction, but it doesn't really tell us anything deep. It's a wonderful story, and maybe an allegory about World War 2 in some ways, but for some reason it always seems to be science fiction that's packing messaging into the material. Going back to Philip K. Dick, for sure, and through Star Trek and beyond. I don't know why it is, except that I agree it's real. Very interesting point.

= =
Old December 25th, 2017, 10:29 PM

On a totally unrelated note, my wife and I watched Stronger this afternoon. It's about a guy who lost both legs at the Boston Marathon bombing in 2013, starring Jake Gyllenhal and Tatiana Maslany. I'd wanted to see it because I think Tatiana Maslany is *amazing*, as any of you who have seen Orphan Black already know.

It's not genre stuff like the excellent Orphan Black, but it's a real powerhouse about a guy trying to live through trauma and the people in his orbit. It's more about the two of them then it is about anything else. It moves pretty quickly, and the acting and writing are both excellent. We sort of fell into it as a good couple's movie, particularly for those guys who already know Tatiana Maslany, and it works that way.

For those who don't know, here she is in Orphan Black:
Spoiler Alert!

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies