Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Notices

Old April 2nd, 2021, 06:54 PM

Joshbg is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Index of Classic Heroscape .stl files

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshbg View Post
Hi friends!
Im new to 3D printing and would love to use these models! Any recommendations on what kind of specifications I need to print them with great quality?
It depends on what type and brand of printer you have. Can you give more specifics about your setup?
I dont have a 3D printer yet, just have helped a friend with his, asking what sort of specifications would you recommend to study the possibility of acquiring a 3D printer to start my Heroscape army
Old April 2nd, 2021, 08:58 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
Quote:
Hi friends!
Im new to 3D printing and would love to use these models! Any recommendations on what kind of specifications I need to print them with great quality?
It depends on what type and brand of printer you have. Can you give more specifics about your setup?
I dont have a 3D printer yet, just have helped a friend with his, asking what sort of specifications would you recommend to study the possibility of acquiring a 3D printer to start my Heroscape army
For figures, there are several resin 3D printers around $200-$250 that are good for Heroscape figures: Elegoo Mars and the Anycubic Photon are two that many people use.

For terrain, there are several filament 3D printers around the same prices that work well. The Ender 3 is a popular model.

There is a learning curve to both types of printers--a little more learning curve with the filament printers. The resin printers also need some extra accessories--Isopropyl alcohol to clean the figures after printing, a UV light/curing station for final cure. But the details are better on the resin printers.

I can help you get up and started if you decide to get a printer. I can also give you advice about filament/resins, give you printing tips, and help troubleshoot any issues. 3D printers are awesome, but they can be a little frustrating until you get familiar with them.
Old April 3rd, 2021, 12:21 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Why is the FDM type preferred for terrain over the SLP (resin)? I'm looking at printing some RttFF trees since I only have grey LOS blockers (RotV walls, FoTA, and BftU).
Old April 3rd, 2021, 02:20 PM

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
Why is the FDM type preferred for terrain over the SLP (resin)? I'm looking at printing some RttFF trees since I only have grey LOS blockers (RotV walls, FoTA, and BftU).
FDM filament costs less than resin (about half the price), which is more important for larger objects. They also have more of a 'plastic' look, and you can get filament in different colors, so you often don't have to paint them afterwards. And they are generally more durable (less likely to break).

The build plate for FDM printers is often much larger as well.

For the trees, you could use resin. I would probably hollow them a little to save on resin.
Old June 29th, 2021, 03:46 AM

twinbladesan Woo who?

Thank you all for the scans I just got my eegloo mars 2 and water washable resin today and have already made a few figures thanks to you all. word of wisdom when dealing with the blue flagbearer cure him or otherwise give him some time to setup before washing or his flag will melt a bit..but otherwise he looks amazing in clear blue! On to Zetacron next!
Old June 29th, 2021, 03:50 AM

twinbladesan Woo who?

Also when dealing with the resin minifigure items the hive, and 9 hex bases do not fit withi an eegloo filamint style printrs can do the larger stuff with a cheap modification where as if going with resin..you can't really scale up..the screen size is the max size..period. not to mention if messing with terrian in general getting the texture just right for the interlock is a pain..been fiddling with some for more vibrant ice/water/lava tiles.
Old June 29th, 2021, 04:59 AM

twinbladesan Woo who?

Okay quick question..can you cure a resin print before washing or not? The washing process ate my sir Gilbert's flag and warped his blade..it was perfect before the wash
Old June 29th, 2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinbladesan View Post
Also when dealing with the resin minifigure items the hive, and 9 hex bases do not fit withi an eegloo filamint style printrs can do the larger stuff with a cheap modification where as if going with resin..you can't really scale up..the screen size is the max size..period. not to mention if messing with terrian in general getting the texture just right for the interlock is a pain..been fiddling with some for more vibrant ice/water/lava tiles.
They have resin printers with larger build areas (larger LCDs). But they cost a lot more too.

Quote:
Okay quick question..can you cure a resin print before washing or not? The washing process ate my sir Gilbert's flag and warped his blade..it was perfect before the wash
I'd recommend a quick wash before curing--maybe a minute or two swishing in the alcohol. If you cure without washing you'll end up losing resolution on features because there will still be some uncured resin left on the print.

A better option is to switch resins. I love Siraya Tech Fast ABS-like resins, especially the smoky black. They print quicker than many other resins, and they print with good detail. They also are slightly flexible, and they wash well without damage.
Old June 30th, 2021, 10:59 AM

twinbladesan Woo who?

Thanks for the advice but I can't do alcohol was resins. Atleast not til I can get some different gloves due to skin conditions. All they have around here are latex..and I'm allergic to latex and most alcohol solutions. That's why I use the water wash eegloo resin.

Last edited by twinbladesan; June 30th, 2021 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Forgot to finish thought
Old June 30th, 2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the advice but I can't do alcohol was resins. Atleast not til I can get some different gloves due to skin conditions. All they have around here are latex..and I'm allergic to latex and most alcohol solutions. That's why I use the water wash eegloo resin.
Maybe just a quick wash in the water then to minimize the damage...
Old June 30th, 2021, 10:33 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

You might be able to get some nitrile ones either online or at an auto shop. You could also use tongs or something to lower it in/retrieve it from an alcohol bath.
Old July 12th, 2021, 09:19 AM

Hey, I just noticed that 3D printing got our own forum!

Also, I uploaded my scanned Havech Eradicators.
Havech Eradicators scanned

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing