Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old October 14th, 2020, 04:06 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth
Re: 10 Points Under - Heroscape Casting Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
It seemed clear as soon as SirH's R1 OM placement was shown that he had no intention of moving out of his startzone. This is certainly a defensible strategy. That said, I would have put Ana/Rae at the front of the startzone and put OM1 on rats to establish a shell 2 spaces farther forward. This would have allowed for pinging the advancing macdirks from a position of relative safety much more easily, possibly leading to stringing them out if Laglor can get hot with autoload. As it was, it was just too easy for Boromir to mass forward while forcing SirH to choose between attacking or keeping the heroes safe.
Yeah. Honestly, going into this matchup I really felt like I had no conceivable way of winning unless I could get Boromir to overextend Alastair and get a little impatient with my defensive (come to me) position. I placed with that exact intention because I also felt like with 5 different cards there was not enough time to pod up anywhere in the map with only 3 OM's per turn. It would take at least 2 OM's on rats and one on each of the rest to get to a pod spot near kelda and so I opted to go to the right where he could get only 2 same level attacks AND with no jungle or shadow cover. That was also part of the reason I decided to wait for him to come, podding in the map somewhere guarentees he gets jungle and shadow when I attack him, while in my SZ he's forced out of the extra safety. I stand by my decision to play the way I did, BUT with that said I do agree with 2 points made during the cast and by dok just now:

1. moving the rats up for 1 OM to extend the line would have been advantageous for just how far I could shoot into the map and still retreat, OR stay in my same spot but move that 1 rat Dysole mentioned that was on the bottom of my SZ and not doing anything. That would have allowed Laglor to shoot 1 hex farther and really forced Boromir into an uncomforatble position even more so.

2. I played really "safe", but for those who know me, I take the big plays. I decided to go against my nature and retreat Laglor when I started threatening alastair from the center when I moved up to the top...but I think I needed to realize that I needed the snipe and the pressure on Alastair to win this one. I had the pressure, and by retreating I basically allowed Boromir to continue doing his thing. moving up and killing those 2 Dirks on the high platform would have been the right call I think at that stage of the game because he wouldn't have had any answer for me and LAglor coulda gone to town from that position.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old October 21st, 2020, 08:47 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

We have the next installment (well, technically round 1) of the Heroes Only tournament from Online Con! In this game we get to see a couple of new players to the channel: @IntingWolvesOBMain who hails from Australia and @Jazack who is one of my fellow Utah 'Scapers! The matchup is two classic hero-only armies, with Kurrok and Fire Elementals taking on the Elf wizard army! Joining me for this game is YouTube sensation @TalesOfValhallaOfficial , and we have a great time watching the action unfurl in this hot game! (Get it? Because Fire Elementals are hot? Oh, you did get it? Okay, just wanted to make sure.)

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; October 21st, 2020 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Realized after posting that I spelled IntingWolvesOBMain's name in the wrong order, oops! Should all be fixed now
Old October 21st, 2020, 06:47 PM

PouncingWolves knows what's in an order marker PouncingWolves knows what's in an order marker PouncingWolves knows what's in an order marker

Huh this is cool, thanks for putting this up BiggaBullFrog!
Although, you couldn't have chosen a game I won coulda ya? Now I've lost every reposted game I'm in! ;P

This was actually my first time playing kurrok, fire elementals or Moltenclaw (the only unit I'd played was Eldgrim lol). So at the time I was lamenting Moltenclaws claws falling off when he attacked Ullganesh but in hindsight I'd do a lot differently.

Firstly, lead with the fire elementals. I didn't need to sprint to Lodin because the elves couldnt really hold glyphs anyway and I didn't get any huge value out of it immediately, I could have just got it a bit more slowly as I developed the fire elementals. But developing and spreading them prevents the crippling start zone bomb from Jorhdawn and they'd probably just do more damage than MC (though I didn't realise this until halfway through the game when I finally brought them out).

That leaves Moltenclaw as a cleanup unit, which I don't think is necessarily his strength. At the end of the game he doesn't get much value from his burning breath special attack because there's less things on the board so probably very few times when they are lined up for bim. So he is basically a 6 life 5/1/5/3 for 170 points, in which case there are better options, probably KA and more fire eles would have been better for instance. But as a side note I did love how thematic he was with fire eles given he is lava resistant.

Twas a fun game and awesome event though, keen to play in more when the time zones line up nicely.

-IntingWolves

(I don't blame you for messing the name, its a mouthful and a half, if changing it was an option I would cut it in half lol, so I shall subtly try and do that by signing off as a shortened version)

Last edited by PouncingWolves; October 21st, 2020 at 07:16 PM.
Old October 22nd, 2020, 11:17 PM

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntingWolvesOBMain View Post
Huh this is cool, thanks for putting this up BiggaBullFrog!
Although, you couldn't have chosen a game I won coulda ya? Now I've lost every reposted game I'm in! ;P

This was actually my first time playing kurrok, fire elementals or Moltenclaw (the only unit I'd played was Eldgrim lol). So at the time I was lamenting Moltenclaws claws falling off when he attacked Ullganesh but in hindsight I'd do a lot differently.

Firstly, lead with the fire elementals. I didn't need to sprint to Lodin because the elves couldnt really hold glyphs anyway and I didn't get any huge value out of it immediately, I could have just got it a bit more slowly as I developed the fire elementals. But developing and spreading them prevents the crippling start zone bomb from Jorhdawn and they'd probably just do more damage than MC (though I didn't realise this until halfway through the game when I finally brought them out).

That leaves Moltenclaw as a cleanup unit, which I don't think is necessarily his strength. At the end of the game he doesn't get much value from his burning breath special attack because there's less things on the board so probably very few times when they are lined up for bim. So he is basically a 6 life 5/1/5/3 for 170 points, in which case there are better options, probably KA and more fire eles would have been better for instance. But as a side note I did love how thematic he was with fire eles given he is lava resistant.

Twas a fun game and awesome event though, keen to play in more when the time zones line up nicely.

-IntingWolves

(I don't blame you for messing the name, its a mouthful and a half, if changing it was an option I would cut it in half lol, so I shall subtly try and do that by signing off as a shortened version)
Oh wow, I hadn't realized this was your first time piloting the army. I think you did really well for your first time, and completely agree with your thoughts based on how the game went. It's a tricky army to fully get the hang of but you had already made it a tight game. I agree about the Moltenclaw decision -- probably better to go with a different hero normally, but also being so thematic is awesome! He struggles a bit more in Heroes Only but in another format I think he pulls more bang for his buck!

10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old October 23rd, 2020, 10:14 PM

Jazack is surprisingly tart

Thank you for commenting on the game and putting it up. It was quite interesting to see your thoughts on it, and IntingWolves did really well with that army.

As for not putting Acolarh on a shadow instead of on the high ground (since you commented that it was interesting that I did that), my reasoning was that it would take heat off of Ulginesh by forcing IntingWolves to decide between burning one or the other (and putting Jorhdawn in the line helped with that, she still had 6 lives, and so could take the beating). If I put him on the high ground, I would be putting more heat on Ulginesh, which could potentially destroy the entire army (with elves, once Ulginesh falls, all the wizards begin to fall).
TL : DR putting Acolarh on the shadow created bait to keep Motenclaw from attacking Ulginesh
Old October 24th, 2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazack View Post
Thank you for commenting on the game and putting it up. It was quite interesting to see your thoughts on it, and IntingWolves did really well with that army.

As for not putting Acolarh on a shadow instead of on the high ground (since you commented that it was interesting that I did that), my reasoning was that it would take heat off of Ulginesh by forcing IntingWolves to decide between burning one or the other (and putting Jorhdawn in the line helped with that, she still had 6 lives, and so could take the beating). If I put him on the high ground, I would be putting more heat on Ulginesh, which could potentially destroy the entire army (with elves, once Ulginesh falls, all the wizards begin to fall).
TL : DR putting Acolarh on the shadow created bait to keep Motenclaw from attacking Ulginesh
That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the insight! I really like it when players swing by and give their thought processes on a game. Looking back I like that baiting play (I like baits in general, so... ).

10 Points Under Videos

Old October 24th, 2020, 11:20 AM

In round 4 of day 1 of the Online Con Chamionship, @coachmuskie and @Cleon meet in a reversed whip round to face off! They get to play the army that their opponent brought in this sweet Reverse-the-Whip game featuring a mini-steamroller against skele-dogs and a big troll. Joining me in the virtual commentator booth for the first time is @Rama , a newer player to the online scene but a long time Heroscaper! We have a great time discussing gameplay and decisions in this exciting tournament game!

Also, I'm going to plug the 10 Points Under Co-Cast Super Scheduling Spreadsheet again. I'm close to finishing up Online Con, but still have some videos to cast, and then have some videos from OHS 37 and the NHSD event as well. So there's still a good amount of backlog I'm working with which means that if you're interested in casting a game with me I've got a wide selection to work with!

10 Points Under Videos

Last edited by BiggaBullfrog; October 24th, 2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old October 25th, 2020, 01:26 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntingWolvesOBMain View Post

Jumping back here a bit, but I actually agreed with your decision to lead with Moltenclaw. The changes I would have made would be:

- Position my FEs and Kurrok in the startzone such that Jorhdawn wouldn't be able to target more than two at a time, and probably put the first OM of the game on Kurrok (as opposed to Eldgrim) in order to spread the FEs out even more. Those Jorhdawn hits that targeted three elementals at a time were quite painful, and if you spread them out instead then the shots probably go at Moltenclaw instead.

- Continue to prioritize hitting as many wizards as possible with Burning Breath as opposed to going for Ulginesh. While an Ulginesh assassination would pretty much end the game, the odds of pulling it off are not great. I'd err towards just playing the numbers game and trying to get as many wounds as is possible. If Moltenclaw puts a large enough dent on the wizards, then the elementals should be able to mop them up.
Old October 25th, 2020, 06:43 PM

PouncingWolves knows what's in an order marker PouncingWolves knows what's in an order marker PouncingWolves knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Jumping back here a bit, but I actually agreed with your decision to lead with Moltenclaw. The changes I would have made would be:

- Position my FEs and Kurrok in the startzone such that Jorhdawn wouldn't be able to target more than two at a time, and probably put the first OM of the game on Kurrok (as opposed to Eldgrim) in order to spread the FEs out even more. Those Jorhdawn hits that targeted three elementals at a time were quite painful, and if you spread them out instead then the shots probably go at Moltenclaw instead.

- Continue to prioritize hitting as many wizards as possible with Burning Breath as opposed to going for Ulginesh. While an Ulginesh assassination would pretty much end the game, the odds of pulling it off are not great. I'd err towards just playing the numbers game and trying to get as many wounds as is possible. If Moltenclaw puts a large enough dent on the wizards, then the elementals should be able to mop them up.
Yeah I definitely think allowing the aoe on the fire eles was the biggest mistake, The fact that only two were left after moltenclaw fell says it all. Need too spread them out somehow so that there are enough to do damage, either in the start zone (if I lead with MC) or on the map (as in lead with the FEs) would have been an improvement.
Old October 28th, 2020, 09:09 AM

It's Finals time! But the good kind -- not those yucky college ones. The subject of this final is Heroscape, and the ones taking it are @kevindola and @dok ! They're practicing practical application of pod drafting, and in this school, only one of them get to pass. Examiner @Rama joins me to observe this final and see how our test takers fare with the assortment of dragons, robo-rats, monks, spiders, and giant grub-eating man thingies on the board. And this late night extended metaphor has definitely run its course, so enjoy the game!

10 Points Under Videos

Old October 31st, 2020, 08:09 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Great final, and great commentary. Keep up the great work! Another great example of how these players give themselves the greatest chance to win and see, like Kev said, what winning looks like.

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.
Old November 1st, 2020, 05:56 PM
PuppetMaster & #2 Ranked CoNner

Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Dysole is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Repost

I realize I only ever posted this on YouTube in regard to mine and vegie's game.

Quote:
Couple things.

1. Totally didn't realize swogs could bond with chasers until like a week after the event when I made a joke about it and then thought "oh they're gonna mention that on 10PU"

2. My aggressive Raelin play originated from dok playing Raelin aggressively against me because of how much range my army had I couldn't really let them do that. Yeah it made the swogs vulnerable to Murphy but that's why I did.

3. I think there was definitely some sloppy plays on my part including leaving them unguarded but also a couple times where I thought I was in an aura but wasn't.

4. I basically had to clump up because otherwise I'm not killing him and with how well Murphy had done for me throughout the tournament, I needed to kill him fast.

There might be other thoughts but I don't think I wrote a battle report.
~Dysole, doubling up

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports